• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMT0

Banned
Code:
[PSX] Persona (Atlus) {1996.09.20} - 201.147 / 391.556
[PSX] Persona (PlayStation the Best) (Atlus) {1997.06.27} - 10.970 / 17.935	
[PSX] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus) {1999.06.24} - 170.577 / 274.798
[PSX] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Atlus) {2000.06.29} - 119.484 / 200.103
[PSX] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PlayStation the Best) (Atlus) {200.09.14} - 3.470 / 3.470
[PS2] Persona 3 (Atlus) {2006.07.13} - 127.472 / 210.319
[PS2] Persona 3 FES (Atlus) {2007.04.19} - 105.099 / 165.471
[PS2] Persona 4 (Atlus) {2008.07.10} - 211.967 / 294.214
[PSP] Persona (Atlus) {2009.04.29} - 95.406 / 156.205
[PSP] Persona 3 Portable (Atlus) {2009.11.01} - 108.343 / 208.877
[PS2] Persona 3 FES (PlayStation 2 the Best) (Atlus) {2010.08.05} - ? / 7.773
[PS2] Persona 4 (PlayStation 2 the Best) (Atlus) {2010.08.05} - ? / 43.981
[PSP] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus) {2011.04.14} - 62.091 / 102.714
[PSP] Persona 3 Portable (PSP the Best) (Atlus) {2011.08.25} - 5.914 / 39.233
[PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Atlus) {2012.05.17} - 28.212 / 56.300
[PSV] Persona 4 Golden (Atlus) {2012.06.14} - 152.499 / 242.463
[PS3] Persona 4: Arena (Atlus) {2012.07.26} - 117.318 / 184.997
[360] Persona 4: Arena (Atlus) {2012.07.26} - 9.346 / 11.498

Japan sales only.

Persona 3 Portable was outsold by EP PSP and we didn't get the PSP version? :(

Fisico

Code:
[PSX] Persona (Atlus) {1996.09.20} - 201.147 / 391.556
[PSX] Persona (PlayStation the Best) (Atlus) {1997.06.27} - 10.970 / 17.935	
[PSX] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus) {1999.06.24} - 170.577 / 274.798
[PSX] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Atlus) {2000.06.29} - 119.484 / 200.103
[PSX] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PlayStation the Best) (Atlus) {200.09.14} - 3.470 / 3.470
[PS2] Persona 3 (Atlus) {2006.07.13} - 127.472 / 210.319
[PS2] Persona 3 FES (Atlus) {2007.04.19} - 105.099 / 165.471
[PS2] Persona 4 (Atlus) {2008.07.10} - 211.967 / 294.214
[PSP] Persona (Atlus) {2009.04.29} - 95.406 / 156.205
[PSP] Persona 3 Portable (Atlus) {2009.11.01} - 108.343 / 208.877
[PS2] Persona 3 FES (PlayStation 2 the Best) (Atlus) {2010.08.05} - ? / 7.773
[PS2] Persona 4 (PlayStation 2 the Best) (Atlus) {2010.08.05} - ? / 43.981
[PSP] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus) {2011.04.14} - 62.091 / 102.714
[PSP] Persona 3 Portable (PSP the Best) (Atlus) {2011.08.25} - 5.914 / 39.233
[PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Atlus) {2012.05.17} - 28.212 / 56.300
[PSV] Persona 4 Golden (Atlus) {2012.06.14} - 152.499 / 242.463
[PS3] Persona 4: Arena (Atlus) {2012.07.26} - 117.318 / 184.997
[360] Persona 4: Arena (Atlus) {2012.07.26} - 9.346 / 11.498

Japan sales only.

Thanks but for Persona 1 I think the tracking stopped somewhere in 1996, I'm positive that I read somewhere that it reached 600k LTD (I don't know if it's shipment or sales though and the number must have included the best version)

Media Create had the Persona 4 Best version at 100k+ a while back for example

Jintor

tumblr_mwdi9diuax1r7naoro1_500.png

tumblr_mwdi9diuax1r7naoro2_500.png

Tres bien

Levito

Banned
Ok so I was reminded of some rather terrible news just now and I'm going to post this here encase any of you know of an alternative.

Microsoft are updating Skype tonight and making it so things like Mp3 Skype recorder don't fucking work anymore. That means the way we--and how most people podcast will not happen anymore.

If you know of an alternative--please let me know. So pissed right now.

Gazoinks

Ok so I was reminded of some rather terrible news just now and I'm going to post this here encase any of you know of an alternative.

Microsoft are updating Skype tonight and making it so things like Mp3 Skype recorder don't fucking work anymore. That means the way we--and how most people podcast will not happen anymore.

Blegh, that sucks. This'd only work if you shut off all other system sounds, but you could use Audacity or some other software to record directly from your sound card. I've done that a few times.

Jintor

does callgraph work?

Dantis

It's funny you say that. It is indeed all about context, but you don't seem to pay P4D that same courtesy.

I think we're perceiving the contexts differently, haha.

Either way, no judgement yet. Everyone might look wonderful. Or Naoto might be dressed in an outfit like Rise's.

In which case, judgement. :p

Squire

Banned
I think we're perceiving the contexts differently, haha.

Either way, no judgement yet. Everyone might look wonderful. Or Naoto might be dressed in an outfit like Rise's.

In which case, judgement. :p

Nah, I think you just don't acknowledge the context or don't get it. They're dressing like pop stars, which is what the game is about. Context.

I'm not sure why you'd expect Nao to be dressed like Rise (who's outfit is fine, especially within the context) when they're two different characters.

Seriously though, everybody looks fine. Watch a music video.

Levito

Banned
Ok, nevermind. Microsoft is extending API functionality till they can find a proper work around.

Also the gentleman that makes the program is updating it. Was really worried there for a minute.

Yep.Because programming is a bitch and a half.

Yes I have heard of this, I think its a combination of the game was a nightmare AND its a PSP game so Atlus went to do Soul Hackers instead, it breaks my positive heart, but they absolutely made the right choice.

Squire

Banned
Yes I have heard of this, I think its a combination of the game was a nightmare AND its a PSP game so Atlus went to do Soul Hackers instead, it breaks my positive heart, but they absolutely made the right choice.

Oh, of course. If the money was worth the hassle they would've just hired a programmer.

Oh, of course. If the money was worth the hassle they would've just hired a programmer.

just a rumor I heard, only a rumor, but I have been told more than once by different people before that Innocent Sin Portable US was not done legit, and that Atlus US had people reverse engineer their own game from JP.

Caladrius

Kawaii has prevailed once again. My wallet, he cries.

just a rumor I heard, only a rumor, but I have been told more than once by different people before that Innocent Sin Portable US was not done legit, and that Atlus US had people reverse engineer their own game from JP.

I find that hard to believe considering how long that would have taken them to do. I can't imagine corporate not discovering that.

Sophia

I find that hard to believe considering how long that would have taken them to do. I can't imagine corporate not discovering that.

Gemini, the fan translator of Innocent Sin PS1, basically said Satan himself worked on the game. Which fits in with what we've heard about Eternal Punishment portable.

Caladrius

^ I love the Milhouse Rise one.
Gemini, the fan translator of Innocent Sin PS1, basically said Satan himself worked on the game. Which fits in with what we've heard about Eternal Punishment portable.

Wait, I read that as "Atlus USA did the translation behind JP's back." If it's technical issues I can certainly believe that.

Sophia

Wait, I read that as "Atlus USA did the translation behind JP's back." If it's technical issues I can certainly believe that.

Here's an excerpt from the readme file included with the fan translation:

About hacking (by Gemini)

First things first: this game was a massive, gigantic mess to hack. I think I wrote this pretty much everywhere, but I've got to say it again: Satan himself worked on the game engine, no doubt about it. Wanna know why it's so complicated?

Part 1: string size reduction. This game is one of the very few to treat text as arrays of 2 byte symbols, which means that EVERYTHING that is part of a string, whether it is text or special codes, takes at least 2 bytes. This wasn't really suitable for a translation that needs a lot of space, so it had to be fixed by reducing the amount of space used for both text symbols and special codes. Some things were pretty easy to fix, given that I could work on the whole routines, instead of just hacking a few spots (unfortunately spasm, the assembler I was using at the beginning, doesn't allow that). On the other hand, there were A LOT of very hidden spots in the code that had to be changed as well so that the reduction could be complete, and not crash/bug the game for whatever reason. This was probably the most annoying part of the whole hack, especially the damn subroutines used to manage multiple choices!

Part 2: implementing a not-slow-or-super-unstable variable width font. The original code to allow VWF was only a few line hack, which altered the horizontal spacing for sprites and made it so that the routine for letter rendering would read 1 byte characters (it's part of the reduction hack, yup). This was working until only a few things were in English, but then Tom gave me more material for insertion and the problems start to come to surface. The first issue was with random crashes, which happened when there was a lot of text to append to the GPU list, something that made *every* dungeon dialogue lead to terrible crashes, as well as in Personal Data and battle menus. The second issue was with speed on the Ps2: the way the original game sends data to screen works fine on the original console, but for some reason is terribly slow on the Ps2 (and it was the same for all builds of Pops before v4.00). I had to do something about the crashes, so I went and tried to analyze the print routine, succeeding! At that point all I had to do was rewriting the font system to use images taken from a VRAM image used for HUD elements, instead of uploading the whole array every time for each frame. This fix also took care of the slowdowns, which means double victory to me.

Unfortunately, the image where I put the whole font also contained static names for characters used in menus and battles. These new issues were pretty hard to fix because most of the code that renders them and its very crappy solutions. For menus, I turned all the names into actual test, just like the game used to do for Tatsuya's. As for battles, those are always rendered using graphics, even for Tatsuya's. This was probably the most problematic fix in the whole game because of the way the Playstation manages sprite primitives. I can't even remember all the mess that I had to do to have only a few strings to show perfectly. Damn you, battle programmers.

Of course, there are also other issues that I had to take care of in order to hack some parts of the game, like compressions or archive management. But they really minor stuff when you have a game this evil to deal with.

Given that the PSP "remakes" are not true remakes in the sense of all new code, I can see why it might have been a problem for Atlus USA. Especially considering some of the people who worked on the original game are no longer at the company. Like Okada.

Squire

Banned
I think with the perspective it was programming that held it back (if you believe that), it's good people suggested EP when Sony was soliciting localization requests (I did myself), because that's certainly a resource they could provide to Atlus.

Of course that still might not override the fact we're talking about what would be a post-2013 PSP release.

(P.S. Please don't quote me, talking about Aksys and NISA.)

cj_iwakura

Here's an excerpt from the readme file included with the fan translation:

Given that the PSP "remakes" are not true remakes in the sense of all new code, I can see why it might have been a problem for Atlus USA. Especially considering some of the people who worked on the original game are no longer at the company. Like Okada.

So then the big question is, why was IS PSP doable and not EP?

Moonlight

Banned
Translations are not one size fits all. IS PSP was doable because Atlus put up the time, manpower, and money to produce it within a timely manner. EP PSP was an equally complex project and the tepid sales of IS and the fact that PSP was virtually dead by the time they arrived at that point told them it was stupid to put in all that time, manpower, and money (and headaches for their programmers) when the pay-off was unlikely to be worth it. It was not a question of it being 'doable', IS already proved it was 'doable'. It was a question of risk and reward.

Is it a shame? Sure. Is it unreasonable? Certainly not.

Sophia

Presumably, IS PSP was a reverse engineering hackjob as Buddha mentioned, and the higher ups at Atlus USA did not feel it was a good use of their time or money applying the same hackjob to EP Portable. Especially when they had other, easier, stuff to localize.

I could be entirely wrong. All just guesswork from my ass, but it makes the most sense with what we've heard. Reverse engineering is no simple task, and very time consuming.

Squire

Banned
It has nothing to do with being doable.

Fonding a competent programmer isn't crazy hard. The issue is worth. They decoded it wasn't worth the trouble, most likely due to the factors listed above.

EP just had too much counting against it.

I think their are a couple of reasons that I could think of why, in that ATLUS USA does not have in-house programers, and all help with localization in terms of programing has to be done by the developer who made the game. And I think that the programers moved on to other projects, so that means you would have to take programers off their current project they are currently working on to help with the localization. And ATLUS Japan may have not seen it as a good investment of their programmers time, when they could focus on other projects.

This is just speculation on my part as to why.

FluxWaveZ

Same. From what I've heard, all of the new characters' themes sound great.

Yeah, I like all of them, which is good since P4A had more than a few duds. I don't know how simple it is to upload music from the arcade, though. I uploaded the main theme earlier, but that has a fair bit of noise in it since it wasn't a direct recording.

In terms of original music there'd really just be Yukari's theme, Junpei's theme and the themes for both versions of Sho as well as a couple of new P4A2 fighting tracks and the main theme.

Sucks that there don't seem to be any MU specific themes right now (or MU specific intros) aside from the mirror matches. It'd also be crazy if the normal vs. Shadow matches wasn't "I'll Face Myself -Battle-" this time around.

rObit

Banned
Just finished The Answer for the first time, thus wrapping up my Persona 3:FES experience. Two things:

A: (Boss spoilers)
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck those last few fights. Thumbing through all the dialogue only to get charmed by Mitsuru and killed instantly fucking sucked. Erebus was tough, too. Ended up having to go and level up Odin to get dat Thunder Reign to do enough damage.
I really enjoyed how the story wrapped up, though.

B: I definitely have that empty void feeling now. Trying to decide whether to jump into Persona 2 or do another play-through of Golden to fill the void. Emotions and decisions on my plate tonight.

Trigger

Just finished The Answer for the first time, thus wrapping up my Persona 3:FES experience. Two things:

A: (Boss spoilers)
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck those last few fights. Thumbing through all the dialogue only to get charmed by Mitsuru and killed instantly fucking sucked. Erebus was tough, too. Ended up having to go and level up Odin to get dat Thunder Reign to do enough damage.
I really enjoyed how the story wrapped up, though.

B: I definitely have that empty void feeling now. Trying to decide whether to jump into Persona 2 or do another play-through of Golden to fill the void. Emotions and decisions on my plate tonight.

Persona 2 will never fill the void. It's a neat old-school rpg tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom