• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished watching Persona 4 The Animation. Boy am I ever late on that one! It was okay. The best parts were usually the Event scenes where everyone is just hanging out having fun, but did I really get anything out of that that I did not already get playing the game? (The answer is typically no, although they were pretty good at visual gags and such)

One of the highlights was this ridiculous/awesome/ridiculously awesome tune from the last episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX8YAeS-884

It's like someone took the original song and got Andrew W.K. to do a remix of it or something. It's so absurd that it becomes amazing. It's like Meguro wanted to make it sound as uplifting and glorious as humanly possible and at no point stopped to ask himself "Is this too much?" Deep down he knew nothing is too much. I applaud him for the fact.

As a tangentially related sidenote, the music was probably one of the bigger pros in the Anime's favour. Some good tunes, especially towards the end. I was happy to hear Lotus Juice's voice again in that one credits theme. I liked how the School Trip episode used so much Persona 3 music (to the extent of using Burn My Dread for the opening credits/commercial breaks and such). Good use of music all around.

It made me all the more aware of the fact that I'm basically running on vapours at this point when it comes to Persona. It's like Methadone for a Persona addiction. Bring me 5 already before I do something really stupid like watch Trinity Soul.

Persona Tomato Soup is meh. I don't hate it as much as other people, but still, yea.

Have you played Persona 2? Depending on what you like about the series, you could like it or hate it.

FluxWaveZ

One of the highlights was this ridiculous/awesome/ridiculously awesome tune from the last episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX8YAeS-884

It's like someone took the original song and got Andrew W.K. to do a remix of it or something. It's so absurd that it becomes amazing. It's like Meguro wanted to make it sound as uplifting and glorious as humanly possible and at no point stopped to ask himself "Is this too much?" Deep down he knew nothing is too much. I applaud him for the fact.

I see it as basically a direct counterpart to Persona 3's "The Battle for Everyone's Souls."

It's nice.

Zebetite

Banned
Persona Tomato Soup is meh. I don't hate it as much as other people, but still, yea.

Have you played Persona 2? Depending on what you like about the series, you could like it or hate it.

Not yet! I'd like to but I sort of feel like it's a lot closer to regular SMT than to Persona 3/4 in terms of mechanics and I'd still like to give SMT4 a shot first considering I already own that game. I also don't have a PSP and that's the only way of playing IS if I'm not mistaken.

I sincerely doubt it will scratch the same itch as 3 and 4 (A lot of why I like those games has to do with the occasionally-bonkers time management aspect as well as the simple-but-insanely-crunchy battle system), but I also love JRPGs in general so I'm sure I'll find something to like about Persona 2.

What should I do about Persona 1?

I see it as basically a direct counterpart to Persona 3's "The Battle for Everyone's Souls."

It's nice.

For a bit I felt like I'd have liked it to be Persona 4's final boss music before deciding that it'd feel too derivative of BfES and would take away from that tune's magic.

You mean to tell me that after hearing this fucking Velvet Room music for all of Persona 4, then through all of Persona 3, you're gonna make me listen to it AGAIN in this THIRTY-PLUS MINUTE boss fight?!

I guess I can manage!

Not yet! I'd like to but I sort of feel like it's a lot closer to regular SMT than to Persona 3/4 in terms of mechanics and I'd still like to give SMT4 a shot first considering I already own that game. I also don't have a PSP and that's the only way of playing IS if I'm not mistaken.

I sincerely doubt it will scratch the same itch as 3 and 4 (A lot of why I like those games has to do with the occasionally-bonkers time management aspect as well as the simple-but-insanely-crunchy battle system), but I also love JRPGs in general so I'm sure I'll find something to like about Persona 2.

What should I do about Persona 1?

How hardcore about old school jrpgs with first person maze like dungeons are you? I love Persona 1, but I am in the minority.

I could stream some of it if you would like.

If any of yall want some Megaten streamed, hit me up, I have been itchin to stream some stuff.

How hardcore about old school jrpgs with first person maze like dungeons are you? I love Persona 1, but I am in the minority.

I could stream some of it if you would like.

If any of yall want some Megaten streamed, hit me up, I have been itchin to stream some stuff.

I'm thinking of playing through P2 after I get my Vita fixed, and then possibly going to P1, why is it exactly that nobody likes Persona 1? On first glance the characters and plot don't seem any less complex or anything (granted I haven't spoiled anything important for myself so i don't know how the plot/characterization is handled later in the game.)

also, is there any way I can get the old Revalations: Persona version of P1 on my vita? I want to compare how localization was back then and how it is now.

I'm thinking of playing through P2 after I get my Vita fixed, and then possibly going to P1, why is it exactly that nobody likes Persona 1? On first glance the characters and plot don't seem any less complex or anything (granted I haven't spoiled anything important for myself so i don't know how the plot/characterization is handled later in the game.)

also, is there any way I can get the old Revalations: Persona version of P1 on my vita? I want to compare how localization was back then and how it is now.

Story is minimal in the first game. Guess that's why.

Rhapsody

Banned
Relating to P4U2, been hearing tweets that Shadow Yu can do 6k off of 5A, and Shadow Chie can do 7k off of 2A.
Both have room for optimization too.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Dammit, I choked on my drink. You guys are never gonna stop posting that are you?

Dantis only has himself to blame.

tgy5SuO.png

Personas

Does anyone have the one with the teacher from P2 doing this?

No, not that I know of. I could stream Revelations: Persona sometime though hah.

todd360

This is that thing where people talk and you listen:

(Click Image for episode link)

Topic was the new spinoff games Persona Q and Persona 4: Dancing All Night. Thanks to keats, LollipopDave, Todd, and TrueSelf for coming on this one!

Oh man. Listening to your own voice is so weird. The whole episode I was just thinking about how I thought my voice sounded better than that.

PK Gaming

This is that thing where people talk and you listen:

(Click Image for episode link)

Topic was the new spinoff games Persona Q and Persona 4: Dancing All Night. Thanks to keats, LollipopDave, Todd, and TrueSelf for coming on this one!

Can't wait to watch listen to this, the picture for this one is amazing

Ah, time to change desktop wallpapers. (Thanks for doing an alt for Izanagi-no-Okami!)

Nachos

Oh man. Listening to your own voice is so weird. The whole episode I was just thinking about how I thought my voice sounded better than that.

Yeah, as much as I'm sure being on the 'cast would be fun, that's probably my biggest reservation about all that.

Also, in response to Dantis criticizing P4D for being "too girly," I propose a new spin-off to remedy things:

I just downloaded GIMP and am trying to learn some image-editing software more sophisticated Paint. I just thought this might be good practice.

Soriku

Back to the original subject, I really love Meguro's jammy Nocturne/DDS soundtracks. I think they're some of his best works, and I loved when he gets jammy in P3/4 and some of the remixes of P1/2.

Nocturne's last map is a good example of this, as is Hunting: Betrayal from DDS2. In P4, I think it's best shown in The Almighty. It's almost prog-rock at times. He really jams out in these instrumentals, and I think it's when he's at his best. I do like that he uses the persona series to branch out into pop and hip-hop, but a good Meguro jam session is bliss. I hope he brings a bit of that heat to P5, although I have this weird feeling P5 is going to be very jazzy/bluesy.

I like these songs because they're so incredibly out there for video game music, you just don't see it a whole lot. Usually guitar solos devolve into pure buttrock, and maybe sometimes they'll throw in some violins for extra "epic". Don't get me wrong, I love plenty of cheesy buttrock JRPG soundtracks, but Meguro's stick. I can listen to them whenever. Another good example of this quality is from DDS: Manipura. Seriously, what a fantastic guitar solo in there. It's so natural.

You have good taste. If you like prog rock then listen to Resonance of Fate's soundtrack.

Edit: I think the best map themes for Persona are Memories of the City and Map I from EP (PSP version mainly).

I'm not sure if it counts, but Muladhara from DDS1 is still an 'overworld' song that I'm tremendously fond of. Soul Hackers' map theme was pretty great, too. I'm actually not a huge fan of Heartbeat, Heartbreak (love the name, though), but Your Affection is really fantastic stuff, probably my favourite second only to Way Of Life.

Can anyone confirm if that art of FeMC in the Way of Life video is a Soejima piece? If it is, her hips and legs seem uncharacteristicslly large for Soejima's style. I want to say that it looks closer to realistic proportions, but I think it's that Soejima likes to draw more petite females.

cjkeats

CJ nooooooooo!!!!!! what happened to persona cat!

Rise's glorious new art happened. Persona cat may return for xmas though, I can't get a santa hat on Rise and make it look good to me.

And the adorable little creature is still on my twitter.

Lunar15

You have good taste. If you like prog rock then listen to Resonance of Fate's soundtrack.

Kohei Tanaka and Sakuraba know what they're doing. I think Sakuraba sometimes loses himself and goes a bit too far towards the buttrock side, but he's got some really standout tracks. RoF had a great soundtrack.

PK Gaming

Just finished the latest podcast episode. Really enjoyed this one; the newcomers were great, and cjkeats was totally on top of his game on this one.

In regards to watching a stream of Persona 2:EP

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

EDIT: About the Nanako discussion. Levito, you know it to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom