• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Caught up on this. Man what a bummer of a story. Song is pretty sad too. LJ is a really cool dude. Lets hope we see a lot more of him in the future. Carpe Diem is a really great album too.

Yeah, good to hear he's hanging in there. I don't know much about him, but he seems like a good guy. This actually inspired me to look up some his songs. I'm honestly not a huge fan of most of his rapping on P3 (Burn My Dread is awesome, but that goes without saying), but I liked the solo stuff I heard more. Not sure why, honestly.

Yeah, good to hear he's hanging in there. I don't know much about him, but he seems like a good guy. This actually inspired me to look up some his songs. I'm honestly not a huge fan of most of his rapping on P3 (Burn My Dread is awesome, but that goes without saying), but I liked the solo stuff I heard more. Not sure why, honestly.

Sad to hear what happened, but happy to hear he keeping his chin held high in spite of it. Carpe Diem is pretty good and music video is awesome.

Soriku

I actually bought Xillia the other day. I tried getting into Abyss but I simply couldn't bring myself to care for it for some reason. Maybe I'll try that one again eventually. I hope this goes better.

Abyss is very slow for a while. It's a game that builds up over time, so I'm not surprised to hear about people dropping it not too far in. Xillia is more engaging throughout IMO.

kewlmyc

I was freaking out about this the other day and everyone ignored me -____-
She's a fantastic singer. I hope she get's a song. Oh do I ever.

I saw your tweets. She's Mugi on K-ON right?

Abyss is very slow for a while. It's a game that builds up over time, so I'm not surprised to hear about people dropping it not too far in. Xillia is more engaging throughout IMO.
Abyss is slow, but same can be said for most of the modern Tales games. Hell, the first 7 hours of Graces is playing as super weak 8 year olds.

Smed....I think we just S-Linked.

Hell yeah.

Earthbound and Mother 3 are by far my two favorite games.

Sounds suspiciously Freudian.

I think I overall like Mother 3 the most, but Giygas in Earthbound is one of my favorite boss battles in any game.

I really need to take a stab at getting into some more JRPGs. Love Persona, love Mother, not much of a Final Fantasy person though. Maybe Shadow Hearts? I wish there were more RPGs set in the present, or at least the 20th century.

Relatedly (and on topic!) it'd be interesting to someday see a Persona game that was a period piece. Seriously doubt it'd ever happen, but I think it'd be pretty cool to see one that took place in the 20s or something. Guess that's what Raidou is for.

I think Mother 3 has the superior story, but Giygas is an absolutely amazing boss battle, but of course, so are Mother 3's final bosses.

I got about a quarter of the way through Mother 3 before the internet spoiled it for me. Motivation then petered out :(

Also in the same boat as you as far RPGs. I'm willing to give just about anything a shot, but my interest tends to burn out. I've gotten to the last area of FF7 three times now but never actually beaten the game. Chrono Trigger? Gave out two-thirds through. TWEWY? Halfway through. 'Tis sad

Dude, you have to finish Mother 3. Seeing what the end is and actually experiencing it are two completely different things in this case. The feels, man. The feels.

That's a shame, it's pretty great. Also REALLY sad at points.

One of the few games that have made me completely break down.

Also, glad to see PersonaGAF members have great taste in non-Persona RPGs :D

kewlmyc

The Tales games have like, the worst stories ever.

You like BlazBlue dude.

I admit, they're all super generic except for maybe Abyss, but I wouldn't call them the worst stories ever (except for Graces).

I'm not a fan. I feel as if the SoL could be better/funnier. But then again, I compare all SoL to Azumanga Daioh and Cromartie High School, which is pretty much cheating.

Squire

Banned
You like BlazBlue dude.

I admit, they're all super generic except for maybe Abyss, but I wouldn't call them the worst stories ever (except for Graces).

Seriously though, you like BlazBlue, dude.

I'm not a fan. I feel as if the SoL could be better/funnier. But then again, I compare all SoL to Azumanga Daioh and Cromartie High School, which is pretty much cheating.

I was actually asking for a definition of "SoL", but it just dawned on me you most likely meant slice-of-life.

Duh.

kewlmyc

LOL.

Somebody didn't read the Blazblue thread, clearly.

It was a joke. :p I know you actually thought the first game was a giant parody. Honestly it should be, the story is so ridiculously over the top to the point that I like it. The main character's name is Ragna the BLOODEDGE for pete's sake. So edgy.

Soriku

Likewise, I enjoy the Tales games, but man, they are not good stories.

Well I highly disagree. I've always thought Tales stories were enjoyable.

They're more character driven than story driven though, I think. I think that aspect would appeal to Persona fans, for those of those who haven't tried the series (the casts are generally very different though, so you might really like some casts but dislike others). The worlds in the games do receive a lot of focus too though.

Sophia

Tales games tend to vary in story. Vesperia has a pretty good character driven cast, and Symphonia's second half is a great deconstruction of its first half. The spinoff games like Dawn of the New World just flat out suck however.

kewlmyc

Tales games tend to vary in story. Vesperia has a pretty good character driven cast, and Symphonia's second half is a great deconstruction of its first half. The spinoff games like Dawn of the New World just flat out suck however.

Vesperia's cast makes up for the fact that the game shit's the bed during the third act. Or so I've heard. Haven't gotten that far yet.

Apparently, we're now TalesGAF as well. :p

Levito

Banned
Dead or Alive 5's wet t-shirt feature is a commentary on American rampant consumerism and materialism. It's all a facade and Team Ninja can see right through it.

Lunar15

Only Tales I played was Symphonia and that story was ok but just really generic.

To be fair the actual plots in persona are not mind blowing. They are just simply more thematically satisfying and scratch a bit more below the surface.

They are however fresh in that we do not get many jrpg games set in the 20th century.

Sophia

Vesperia's cast makes up for the fact that the game shit's the bed during the third act. Or so I've heard. Haven't gotten that far yet.

Apparently, we're now TalesGAF as well. :p

Aye.

One thing is for certain: Tales games do not handle their execution of the story as well as the Persona games do. It's always been one of my biggest griefs with the series, actually.

Lunar15

I'd pay a lot of money for a Cromartie game with persona mechanics. Think about it.

kewlmyc

Nah it's Tales of Mother K-On GAF.

I'm glad I picked Xilia over Graces.

And whoever thought Negaposi*Continues should be made a rhythm game level needs to be pooped on.

Graces has the best combat hands down, but has one of the worst stories I've seen in a while. Also, Asbel is a terrible MC. He's like Luke but never gets any better and the rest of the cast doesn't give him grieve for his horrible decisions.

Soriku

The main plot in Graces is bleh. Same in the Future arc. Not terrible but yeah it's nothing special.

I liked the subplots in the Future arc though, the whole marriage thing and Sophie's future worries. Those were good.

Thought the cast overall was good. Asbel gets shat on but he has his moments. Cheria is kinda annoying (I'll say she has her moments too though). I liked the rest though.

Moonlight

Banned
Tales games don't know how to end. There are like three good stopping points in Vesperia, but nope, the ride never ends! And each subsequent villain is even more nonsensical and less credible than the next.

EDIT:

Laura is one of my favourite VA. Her singing in SRIV is absolutely brilliant.
I take
Two steps forward
I take two steps back
We come together
'Cause opp-o-sites attract

Her performance as The Boss is my favourite so far this year.
Aww yeah. Bailey is the best.

kewlmyc

The main plot in Graces is bleh. Same in the Future arc. Not terrible but yeah it's nothing special.

I liked the subplots in the Future arc though, the whole marriage thing and Sophie's future worries. Those were good.

Thought the cast overall was good. Asbel gets shat on but he has his moments. Cheria is kinda annoying (I'll say she has her moments too though). I liked the rest though.

I liked pretty much everyone except Asbel and Cheria. Asbel just ruins the game for me. I might be overreacting but I really couldn't stand him. He was better in the future arc though. The comedy in Graces was great though.

Soriku

Tales games don't know how to end. There are like three good stopping points in Vesperia, but nope, the ride never ends! And each subsequent villain is even more nonsensical and less credible than the next.

I like multiple plot threads and villains so I enjoy when the Tales games pull the bait and switch. Honestly if they stopped sooner, the stories would be took basic. I know people say the same thing about Okami, how it should've ended once you beat Orochi. Hell no, I liked it when it kept going.

I haven't played Vesperia (waiting for the PS3 version to come out...never) but Xillia has multiple villains and most were decent.

kewlmyc

So I definitely think of we don't hear anything before Christmas, Atlus will have a localization announcement in January. Probably Ultimax. Maybe PQ.

We'll probably get a P5 confirmation and a PQ date first since everyone's been waiting for P5 and PQ is the only game that has a release date confirmed in Japan.

Moonlight

Banned
I don't have anything against multiple plot threads or villains (hell, P4 pulls the bait and switch, like, thrice), but Tales has a habit of pulling them entirely out of their ass and damaging the credibility and presence of the villain immediately prior. It's like a weird game of whack-an-antagonist. At least, Vesperia. I think the only other Tales game I ever beat was Symphonia, and I can't remember a thing about that game.

Squire

Banned
We'll probably get a P5 confirmation and a PQ date first since everyone's been waiting for P5 and PQ is the only game that has a release date confirmed in Japan.

Well, I think P4A2 is more likely since they announced Arena for consoles in the west right after announcing it in Japan and it launched in both territories really close together. I wouldn't be surprised if we got P4A2 the same week as Japan this time.

Rhapsody

Banned
The song is great.

The note chart is evil.
True. Most annoying one for me is the cat one. Still never got back to it on the hardest difficulty.
The comedy in Graces was great though.

Best way for me to usually enjoy Tales characters. They may annoy me in the main story, but the skits are the best way for me to like them all.
I usually try to zone everything else out if I can, haha.
I don't have anything against multiple plot threads or villains (hell, P4 pulls the bait and switch, like, thrice), but Tales has a habit of pulling them entirely out of their ass and damaging the credibility and presence of the villain immediately prior. It's like a weird game of whack-an-antagonist. At least, Vesperia. I think the only other Tales game I ever beat was Symphonia, and I can't remember a thing about that game.
I feel like the villain switch happens in most of JRPGs though. It's hard to think up a ton that don't, so I've kind of built an immunity to it.

Edit: But I do agree that it makes the previous villain feel meaningless in Tales.

Tales of the Abyss has one of my favourite twists in gaming and I friggin' love Duke in Tales of Vesperia, but outside of those two and Phantasia (which didn't really have a meaty story), my Tales experience is admittedly limited. I'd say their stories are a heck of a lot more enjoyable than DOA5's at the least.

Best non-Persona JRPG is Kingdom Hearts II, by the way. Hate on me or it all you want; that opinion will likely never change.

Soriku

Edit: But I do agree that it makes the previous villain feel meaningless in Tales.

I wouldn't really say that. I just consider all the previous villains to be a build up to what happens in the final conflict. Edit: Several Tales villains in the same game tend to have their own goals so they're not always dependent too.

Tales of the Abyss has one of my favourite twists in gaming and I friggin' love Duke in Tales of Vesperia, but outside of those two and Phantasia (which didn't really have a meaty story), my Tales experience is admittedly limited. I'd say their stories are a heck of a lot more enjoyable than DOA5's at the least.

Best non-Persona JRPG is Kingdom Hearts II, by the way. Hate on me or it all you want; that opinion will likely never change.

KH2 is great. 2.5 Remix will be godly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom