• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meia

That idea of selectable Personas sounds absurdly complex from both a gameplay perspective and for the developers, especially combined with the Shadow versions, but it is interesting to consider Teddie and how it contradicts their explanation.

Not sure how complex a simple reskin would be, which is all it would be after all. I don't think the personas in 4 acted the same way they did in 3, where it HAD to change just to learn it's entire skillset. The personas themselves are the same sizes as their old ones too, so there wouldn't even be a concern really in terms of a hitbox.

FluxWaveZ

Not sure how complex a simple reskin would be, which is all it would be after all. I don't think the personas in 4 acted the same way they did in 3, where it HAD to change just to learn it's entire skillset. The personas themselves are the same sizes as their old ones too, so there wouldn't even be a concern really in terms of a hitbox.

That's the thing, it wouldn't be a simple re-skin unless you'd be satisfied with alt colors. The reason that there are no alternate costumes for sprite based fighting games is because of how extremely time consuming they would be to make. As a result, they're not worth the effort. Taking a simple glance at the P4A sprite dumps for the Personas would be enough to imagine how much work that would require, even if we don't work in the sprite making business.

I think they're all here. Konohana Sakuya, for example, has 141 sprites. Just for her Persona, they would need to entirely remake 141 sprites to fit Amaterasu, which doesn't include some other small things like alt colors.

Edit: Book finally gives somewhat official names for P4A's stages and I finally figured out what the hell that convenience store stage was because of its brief description.

Meia

That's the thing, it wouldn't be a simple re-skin unless you'd be satisfied with alt colors. The reason that there are no alternate costumes for sprite based fighting games is because of how extremely time consuming they would be to make. As a result, they're not worth the effort. Taking a simple glance at the P4A sprite dumps for the Personas would be enough to imagine how much work that would require, even if we don't work in the sprite making business.

Good point, didn't think of that.

The optional thing is really the only thing that kind of makes sense. If their persona reverted from the second(or in Golden's case third) form, they probably would have mentioned it themselves during the story.

hao chi

Was bored, so here's some new PQ avatars for anyone to use:

2NvfEB2.png
FuokcfQ.png
zxWthgD.png
ZJz4XPT.png
92UFCAl.png

Doesn't look like anybody else has dibs, so I wouldn't mind using Yukiko for a while.

Nice job with the avatars, BTW.

I know its a bit premature to be talking about a sequel to P4A2, but given the statements they made it makes me think that its highly probable that sometime down the line they'll make a Persona 5 Arena. At which point I would guess that the investigation team would sport their ultimate personas.

Squire

Banned
I know its a bit premature to be talking about a sequel to P4A2, but given the statements they made it makes me think that its highly probable that sometime down the line they'll make a Persona 5 Arena. At which point I would guess that the investigation team would sport their ultimate personas.

Something like that really depends on how well received that games cast is.

FluxWaveZ

It's hard to say this time. With P4A to P4A2, most of my uncertainty for a P4A sequel anytime soon came from the fact that I thought Atlus and ASW would be too busy with their own stuff to do another collab, but if it weren't for that I would have said it was inevitable because of how well P4A performed, because of previous ASW statements saying that they enjoyed the collaboration and because of obvious story cliffhangers.

This time, they're emphasizing the fact that with P4A2 ends the "P-1 Grand Prix saga" and everything from P4A will presumably be wrapped up in its sequel. I also couldn't imagine that they'd ever want to throw a whole lot of assets in garbage for a P5A, especially since it sounds like they had to keep things basic since that's pretty much a given when you're making the first iteration in a fighting game series.

I guess we don't know when P5A occurs, though. I suppose that they could potentially apply whatever slight modifications they need to to the P4A cast's physique in relation to the sprite work as well (the Yasogami outfits and the vast number of the Persona sprites if they were to evolve would be a real problem, though). If I were to say anything now, I'd say that a P4A3 direct sequel where things happen pretty close to P4A2's conclusion is far more likely than any P5A where Persona 5 characters are the main focus.

There's the scenario that there'll never be another Persona fighting game, though I don't know how likely that sounds given that the P4A series has been very successful and that Wada seems pretty into the idea of Persona being a fighting game genre staple name (when I think "staple", I think Street Fighter, Tekken, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear...).

There's also the scenario that they indeed throw a bunch of assets out the window for a pseudo-sequel that might star the same or different Persona characters in another engine ala Guilty Gear Xrd.

Meia

Naoto and Chie both have the same problem in terms of avatars so far, very little of either shown. Well, there was one pose with Yukiko that hasn't been used I think, but yeah.

I look forward to the game release for way more avatar material. :D

FluxWaveZ

So any new info in the magazine?

Only seen a single scan from it for now. Apparently has 23 pages on P4A2.

I'm sure there aren't any significant screenshots or anything from it, so anything interesting or new would be from text and we'd only get that when someone bothers translating whatever's in it.

Edit: The p-ch website was updated to mention the first issue of the new Persona magazine. It apparently has an interview with Hashino that shares some Persona 5 info.

So, where do you guys buy your Persona figures? I'm thinking about buying one or two for Christmas, but don't know of any good import sites.

PK Gaming

So I found some more evidence to support the Yu X Yosuke romance route that was removed in P4.

The line

The explanation

The english translation

If you are a Japanese guy, you do not “suki” your friends. Girls have more freedom with this and can toss it around a bit more willy-nilly, but it’s not something you tell someone as a guy unless you’re pretty serious about them. (And even then, guys saying it is still pretty rare…) When you do a lover’s route with the girls in P4, their “I love you” at Rank 10 is a “suki”/”suki desu” in Japanese.

So despite the fact that “suki” can be used for inanimate objects/family/friends, Yosuke’s “ore, omae ga suki da” (“I like you”) is unquestionably a lover’s route statement. He would not say this to Souji in a casual manner, because if he was just trying to convey feelings of friendship he probably would have said something more like “you’re important to me”.

EDIT:
More stuff said:
Someone dug up some files a while back from the Persona 4 game disc that included unused lines by Yuri Lowenthal, and they included a very telling “I like you” plus a “Don’t make me say stuff like that!” and a really secondhand embarrassment inducing “I never knew I had such… heat inside.” (Which I think is probably in reference to his emotions and not an allusion to sex because lol high schoolers, but… still.)

The other thing that leads me to believe this is a little more dubious, but the fact that Yosuke has that weird “flag” in his… Link 5, I think? Where you have to say something specific in order to get the option to hug him on the riverbank in Link 6 (or whichever step it was idk); which was something that only the girls’ routes had. There’s at least one previous instance of being able to date boys in the Persona franchise (I’m looking at you, Jun) so…….

Which basically brings us full circle and back to the cultural context thing. Hugging your best friend here in the US is no biggie, even if you’re both dudes. Hugging any of your friends in Japan when you are a guy is a much bigger deal. It’s a lot more intimate and something you don’t really do, hence why no one hugs Souji when he gets on the train to leave.

Okay, so, I guess none of this is actual, 200% concrete evidence since it’s not Atlus going “Oh yeah about that…” but it’s pretty damned telling, imo. This honestly is not just my shipping goggles, either; evidence points to the fact that it was there, yes, but they decided to remove it, and therefore I acknowledge it isn’t actually canon as much as I love them.

I kind of wish they kept it. Would have been an interesting and potentially groundbreaking relationship. Oh well!

EDIT2: If this was a thing and Kanji found out Yosuke was gay, he would never let him hear the end of it. Irony!

Meia

I kind of wish they kept it. Would have been an interesting and potentially groundbreaking relationship. Oh well!

EDIT2: If this was a thing and Kanji found out Yosuke was gay, he would never let him hear the end of it. Irony!

The Kanji reaction on Valentine's if that was possible by itself would have been glorious. Cause, ya know, can't mention relationships during or related to story scenes, cause that would be CRAZY.

(P4 spoilz)
Still salty no one spends time with Yu during November after he comes home to an empty house.

PK Gaming

The Kanji reaction on Valentine's if that was possible by itself would have been glorious. Cause, ya know, can't mention relationships during or related to story scenes, cause that would be CRAZY.

(P4 spoilz)
Still salty no one spends time with Yu during November after he comes home to an empty house.
It would have been so damn fitting too

Like all of the shit he gives Kanji could be explained via his severe insecurity about his sexuality(i mean it can STILL be explained by his insecurity, but this just takes it to the next level). I actually think he would have been a more natural representation of a "gay" character than Kanji, or most of the characters in video gaming.

Acid08

Banned
Still can't fuse anything with Magarudyne -_-, I have every spell I need except that one at this point.

Also disappointed that Kanji never learns a heavy/severe physical to all.

todd360

Holy crap PK good find. That was a good read. Imagine if they would have added it back into golden. Its never to late atlus. Not in the world of DLC! break out your wallets everyone and commence the throwing of money!

Acid08

Banned
Kanji doesn't gain a single Multi-Target physical skill.

He's built to deal heavy damage to a single targets.
Yeah, he'll be good for the next few boss fights.

Holy crap PK good find. That was a good read. Imagine if they would have added it back into golden. Its never to late atlus. Not in the world of DLC! break out your wallets everyone and commence the throwing of money!
I'd pay them money to take Yosuke out of the game.

Caladrius

Also disappointed that Kanji never learns a heavy/severe physical to all.

Kanji makes up for that by having the strongest single target physical attack in the game. (Primal Force)

As for Magarudyne, I think Atropos (Lv 68) has it. Plain old Garudyne is good enough though, since Multi-enemy skills only have the advantage of being cheaper against crowds of enemies.

PK Gaming

Thanks

I'm hoping they somehow implement it in 5th game. A same-sex relationship that isn't completely contrived (ala Mass Effect) is something i'd love to see in a video game.

Squire

Banned
Thanks

I'm hoping they somehow implement it in 5th game. A same-sex relationship that isn't completely contrived (ala Mass Effect) is something i'd love to see in a video game.

Well, the "shackles of society" are one of (if not the) biggest reasons people so often struggle with homosexuality, be it within themselves or someone they know.

Caladrius

Thanks

Considering how rampant the teasing is in 4 and its related media is, I wouldn't be surprised if they went ahead and took it all the way again.

I vote to have Yosuke replaced by Anderson Cooper. I can S. Link that every playthrough.

If only there were a Persona game that let you do that...

image.php

It'll come to me...

Oh hey I remember it's that pairing that (legit spoilers)
gets erased from the timeline.-__-

cj_iwakura

Thanks

image.php

It'll come to me...

Lunar15

No joke: While I like Yuri Lowenthal, I think his performance negatively affects how US players view Yosuke in the same way I think Troy and Lauren improved Kanji and Rise. The japanese VA for Yosuke makes him sound a little more earnest, which I think is a huge part of Yosuke's character. Yuri sometimes turns that passion into anger, which I think is bewildering at times.

I still like Yosuke because if you really look at all he does and how it undermines his attitude (in a similar way to Junpei, might I add) he's actually a pretty fantastic second banana and really the driving force of the whole group.

PK Gaming

image.php

It'll come to me...
Dude, I am fully aware of the fact that Tatsuya can engage in a relationship with Jun. But the fact that Persona has had same sex couplings in the past is not in dispute.

Before I continue, i'd like to state for the record that Jun's homosexuality and Tatsuya's relationship mostly incidental in the grand scheme of things. We're talking 4-5 lines of dialogue and a couple of not-so-significant contact scenes at most.

Yosuke being potentially gay had some very serious ramifications on his S.links and how people view him as a whole. Persona 4 goes from being a game where you get to whoo a bunch of ladies" to a game where you can do that AND get with a dude. Personally, I think it would have been really cool of Atlus to give us a gay protagonist for gay teenagers to relate to. It definitely would have been better than the half & half they had with Kanji's sexuality.

EDIT: Of course, I'm not admonishing Atlus for not following through. I still really like Yosuke's character, regardless of what they did with him. The potential for a decent same sex relationship is there though.

Squire

Banned
No joke: While I like Yuri Lowenthal, I think his performance negatively affects how US players view Yosuke in the same way I think Troy and Lauren improved Kanji and Rise. The japanese VA for Yosuke makes him sound a little more earnest, which I think is a huge part of Yosuke's character. Yuri sometimes turns that passion into anger, which I think is bewildering at times.

I still like Yosuke because if you really look at all he does and how it undermines his attitude (in a similar way to Junpei, might I add) he's actually a pretty fantastic second banana and really the driving force of the whole group.

I haven't heard much of the JP audio, but I understand what your saying.

Yosuke is a great character. I've always said that and I maintain it. I do think people could handle criticism of him a little better (okay, they need to handle it way better), but whatever issue(s) he has early on, he does grow out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom