• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To change the pace

Wow just got to a certain part of Beyond: Two Souls and Spoilers:

Dawkins is straight up a Persona villain, except replace shadows with infraworld.

Jintor

Nah, My problem is that you're the center of everyone's attention and the characters' world tended to revolve around you.

This is the reason I liked the fact that P3 characters were usually off doing their own thing.

I like and dislike it.

It's very player convenient, but it gets very overbearing.

But the tradeoff is that in P3 character development just kind of... jumps around or occurs off-screen. Believable, perhaps, but not narratively satisfying.

PK Gaming

YMakoto is the best silent MC in the series because he's a watcher not a solver, he watches people's problems and sure, he helps them anyway he can, but more often than not they figure out what was wrong with their lives by themselves. He is also not as elevated as Yu when it comes to his relationships meaning when he does something wrong he gets realistic repercussions (although easily avoidable) for his immoral actions, and he is not as deified wording intentional as Yu in the sense that not everybody immediately likes him, and everybody's life doesn't revolve around him, which makes him a more realistic character

/rant
Hm

Makoto Yuki to me, embodies the concept of "having a Persona." By that I mean that he's rarely, ever genuine with anyone; he wears a different mask for each of his friends. His "good" responses almost always involve him telling a person what they want to hear, rather than telling them what they "need" to hear. You hear this claim thrown around, because it's honestly true. Remember when Makoto encouraged the guy with torn ligaments to keep running? Or when Kenji makes a series of bad mistakes, you're not allowed to talk him out of his retarded ideas. Being that kind of guy is always the best way to progress the link. It's shockingly realistic (sometimes I don't tell my friends what they need to hear) but it's also pretty disheartening too.

That to me, is why I don't like him as much as the other protagonists. He's borderline sociopathic at times. (Though the movie makes him a way more compelling character)

Also, I don't know why you're calling P4 out on its romance links when P3s are arguably even worse. S.links with girls boil down to
A) You had a good time with X
B) But you are not intimate with X
*** (a couple of ranks later)
C) You are now intimate with X (repeat)

And there's pretty much no way to avoid. The emphasis on romance as inevitable endgame slightly hurts the experience for me, imo.

Though, P3P fixes the issue of having S.link characters inexplicably falling in love with you via flags, so we have nothing to worry about.

I think someone mentioned that Yu was the Fool played straight, and Makoto Yuki was the "Reversed Fool" (IE: Someone who acts in total disregard of the consequences of theiractions and in living in the moment’ rather than thinking ahead) and I completely agree with that assessment.

Moonlight

Banned
Though, P3P fixes the issue of having S.link characters inexplicably falling in love with you via flags, so we have nothing to worry about.
If it did, then I must have made some serious mistakes, 'cause I always got suckered into romances no matter what I did in P3P and I just wasn't about that. Probably the reason why I never actually managed a max social link run of P3P.

Meia

Hm

Makoto Yuki to me, embodies the concept of "having a Persona." By that I mean that he's rarely, ever genuine with anyone; he wears a different mask for each of his friends. His "good" responses almost always involve him telling a person what they want to hear, rather than telling them what they "need" to hear. You hear this claim thrown around, because it's honestly true. Remember when Makoto encouraged the guy with torn ligaments to keep running? Or when Kenji makes a series of bad mistakes, you're not allowed to talk him out of his retarded ideas. Being that kind of guy is always the best way to progress the link. It's shockingly realistic (sometimes I don't tell my friends what they need to hear) but it's also pretty disheartening too.

That to me, is why I don't like him as much as the other protagonists. He's borderline sociopathic at times. (Though the movie makes him a way more compelling character)

Also, I don't know why you're calling P4 out on its romance links when P3s are arguably even worse. S.links with girls boil down to
A) You had a good time with X
B) But you are not intimate with X
*** (a couple of ranks later)
C) You are now intimate with X (repeat)

And there's pretty much no way to avoid. The emphasis on romance as inevitable endgame slightly hurts the experience for me, imo.

I think someone mentioned that Yu was the Fool played straight, and Makoto Yuki was the "Reversed Fool" (IE: Someone who acts in total disregard of the consequences of their actions and in living in the moment’ rather than thinking ahead) and I completely agree with that assessment.

Which is made all the more ironic by the contract you're forced to sign like the second the game starts. :p

Makoto is a jerk, Yu isn't, but then again that's just the evolution of the slink system in action I suppose. Minako was a lot more likable because, as you said, you're not necessarily telling a guy with a busted leg to TAKE THE PAIN. :p

PK Gaming

If it did, then I must have made some serious mistakes, 'cause I always got suckered into romances no matter what I did in P3P and I just wasn't about that. Probably the reason why I never actually managed a max social link run of P3P.
Yeah.

Though I forgot to mention that this was exclusive to the female path, the male path is still the same.

Squire

Banned
Well said, PK.

Makoto is either deeply flawed in execution, deeply cynical, or both. Given the way he's being characterized in the films though, I think they really did just sort of botch his execution in the game and now they're getting across the point they were actually trying to make, which I think we've all picked up on at this point: We wear different masks for different people (you don't talk to your friends the way you do your parents, for instance) and we don't always tell them what they need to hear.

Soma

Hm

I think someone mentioned that Yu was the Fool played straight, and Makoto Yuki was the "Reversed Fool" (IE: Someone who acts in total disregard of the consequences of theiractions and in living in the moment’ rather than thinking ahead) and I completely agree with that assessment.

On the flipside though, I'm not sure I see what's not compelling about playing that type of character. It's all good and fun to play the goody-two shoes hero but that kinda gets boring after a while. I feel that giving players these set of choices is another interesting dynamic for a protagonist.

With Makoto I always got the vibe that while he's definitely a good person, there's something about him that's a lot darker than what he lets on. Things like the blissful look on his face when he first summons his persona kinda indicate something like that.

Gazoinks

With Makoto I always got the vibe that while he's definitely a good person, there's something about him that's a lot darker than what he lets on. Things like the blissful look on his face when he first summons his persona kinda indicate something like that.

Not to mention how incredibly chill he is about the world turning green and everyone turning into coffins one night.

Hello everyone! I have managed to get an account.
I have been lurking here since July/August (someone may remember me from the concert or the P5 announcement stream).
Talking about Persona, I played P4G right after it came out here in Europe (I'm Italian) and loved it. After finishing it (in like two weeks or less) I started P3P and finished it pretty fast (I actually got tired of Tartarus pretty fast and decided to cheat through it D:). Then in July I played P4G a second time and loved it even more, as I discovered things that I completely missed in the first one. I played Persona 4 Arena, which I bought in England.
And I'm currently playing it for the third time, hoping to get the platinum (I'm following the guide on Gamefaqs for max SL and books).
Apart from Persona I like rpg, action and fighting games. I like anime and manga too (Sorry Dantis); I 'm currently watching Bakemonogatari.

I think I wrote a bit too much, but whatever. I hope someone will read. I'm rreally happy to join you all :D

Soma

Welcome! Bakemonogatari owns.

Not to mention how incredibly chill he is about the world turning green and everyone turning into coffins one night.

I hear the movie actually addresses this and the things they're doing for his character makes me all the more interested (and excited) to see it.

Moonlight

Banned
I really hope the eventual P3 Master Edition for Vita or whatever winds up implementing the kinds of changes that people are talking up about the movies.

And keeping S. Links squarely friendly.

Squire

Banned
On the flipside though, I'm not sure I see what's not compelling about playing that type of character. It's all good and fun to play the goody-two shoes hero but that kinda gets boring after a while. I feel that giving players these set of choices is another interesting dynamic for a protagonist.

That's probably my problem(?). I always play the goody two-shoes in games with an element of morality and so I connect with Yu more easily. I'm either playing myself or the person I aspire to be.

PK Gaming

Yeah, I can see that side of the argument. It's just not my cup of tea (though I'll admit that some of his "negative" responses are some of the unniest i've seen in RPGs.)
Well said, PK.

Makoto is either deeply flawed in execution, deeply cynical, or both. Given the way he's being characterized in the films though, I think they really did just sort of botch his execution in the game and now they're getting across the point they were actually trying to make, which I think we've all picked up on at this point: We wear different masks for different people (you don't talk to your friends the way you do your parents, for instance) and we don't always tell them what they need to hear.
I'm really, really looking forward to his characterization in the new movie. If they do decide to make P3V at some, they should definitely incorporate some of the elements of the movie into his character and revisit each his social links with those changes in mind.

EDIT: 0_o

Kind of amazing how we all basically said the same thing

Gazoinks

I have been lurking here since July/August (someone may remember me from the concert or the P5 announcement stream).
Talking about Persona, I played P4G right after it came out here in Europe (I'm Italian) and loved it. After finishing it (in like two weeks or less) I started P3P and finished it pretty fast (I actually got tired of Tartarus pretty fast and decided to cheat through it D:). Then in July I played P4G a second time and loved it even more, as I discovered things that I completely missed in the first one. I played Persona 4 Arena, which I bought in England.
And I'm currently playing it for the third time, hoping to get the platinum (I'm following the guide on Gamefaqs for max SL and books).
Apart from Persona I like rpg, action and fighting games. I like anime and manga too (Sorry Dantis); I 'm currently watching Bakemonogatari.

I think I wrote a bit too much, but whatever. I hope someone will read. I'm rreally happy to join you all :D

New people! New people everywhere! Welcome!

Scrafty will be in with the obligatory question at some point.

...need to watch Monogotari myself. Am watching other Shaft things though.

Welcome! Bakemonogatari owns.

I hear the movie actually addresses this and the things they're doing for his character makes me all the more interested (and excited) to see it.

Yeah, all I've read about it sounds awesome.

The way I see it:

P3: You act as a friend whose main job is to just be there. The characters eventually come to terms just by you being there.

P4: You're a friend who now actively calls out everyone and forces them to come to terms with the words you say.

It's all a matter of preference which one you prefer, I say.

Squire

Banned
I'm really, really looking forward to his characterization in the new movie. If they do decide to remake P3V at some, they should definitely incorporate some of the elements of the movie into his character and revisit each his social links with that those changes in mind.

EDIT: 0_o

Kind of amazing how we all basically said the same thing

Yeah, I was just gonna say that! I'm really excited for the movies to release here after hearing about Makoto's characterization. He's becoming a specific character and he's out of my hands as a player. That's going to let me enjoy him and his story.

It's a bit like Breaking Bad, as a recent example. I was completely enthralled with Walter White's journey, but I could never play a game as that character , behaving that way where I had the choice not to be.

That's really what makes all the difference. I can watch evil guys and I can play them, too - and I enjoy it! - but if you give the vaguest option to be a choir boy, I'm gonna take it.

Edit: I've wanted to watch Bakemonogatari for a long time.

Levito

Banned
I think it'd be a fine idea if at least one of the female cast in your party was never attracted to you in a romantic fashion. That'd sure be nice, but I know it's shooting for the moon here.

Yeah, Atlus needs to realize that platonic relationships exist.

pan-hime

speaking of this
tumblr_mxbae9DWag1rsb70lo1_r1_500.png

PK Gaming

Glad to make your acquaintance. I hope you enjoy your stay here :)

I had lot of fun with the discussions today. Who know talking about romance, homosexuality, and social links could be so stimulating? Here's a cute picture of Fuuka.

tumblr_mx786rOyjf1r3qiawo1_500.png

fertygo

all joking aside I agree with this to a certain degree. Atlus puts so much time and effort to make these characters, these people that seem as real as can be, yet to a certain extent they throw it away by having Y(o)u be this nigh-inhuman figure who everyone's lives revolve around, for a game series that makes the most realistic human relationship stories this is a huge non-sequitor. Having the MC be a sexual-lord that literally everyone whom he meets gets the tinglies in their nether-regions and the achies in their hearts for him is THE MOST unrealistic part of the series (even more so than the whole fighting monsters with medieval weapons and other monsters that live inside of you part.) I like what they did with Kanji. I think that instead of having more people fall for the MC it should be less, what if a straight woman denied the MC's love? (scandalous I know.) Sure you can add homosexual relationships in there, but make all relationships realistic, and not over-accentuated wish-fulfillment.

Makoto is the best silent MC in the series because he's a watcher not a solver, he watches people's problems and sure, he helps them anyway he can, but more often than not they figure out what was wrong with their lives by themselves. He is also not as elevated as Yu when it comes to his relationships meaning when he does something wrong he gets realistic repercussions (although easily avoidable) for his immoral actions, and he is not as deified
wording intentional
as Yu in the sense that not everybody immediately likes him, and everybody's life doesn't revolve around him, which makes him a more realistic character

/rant

Man you break your own argument with mentioning Makoto
P3 Vanilla S.Link is the worst so far, which is understandable,, its the first modern persona game with this mechanic afterall.

Seriously Romance S.Link is the very worst especially in P3 where its not even optional.. Just look to Mitsuru S.Link, seriously its left me on very sour taste. Its destroy Mitsuru Kirijo character that have strong sense of responsibility to became another victim of MC sex-appeal. And that shit not even optional urgh.

That's what I mean, giving "dating" option is very limiting the possibilities that could happen than just became girlfriend or not and have possibility to break or prevent better characterization for MC n X character so they can "dating"

Imagine if they give that kind of option so you can being "gay" for everyone, you can ignore all the current dating and think it just simply anime waifu shit.. but for same-sex relationship, I think its deserve much more caring in writing them.. I don't want gay relationship in Persona just simply like bad BL/Shoujo ai anime, like our current harem anime lookalike romance S.Link,

Levito

Banned
Yeah the romantic bits with Mitsuru were borderline ridiculous with how out of character she was for portions of that. Most of the faults with Makoto's--and P3's romantic Social Links are no doubt a result of their first outing for this sort of thing.

As I mentioned eariler, I just wish that platonic relationships could be more prevalent in these games. No really videogame developers--you can love a person of the opposite sex(or same sex for that matter) and it not be of a sexual nature.This happens all the time in life.

Personally I love the idea of well--social links not working out, like many real relationships don't. P4 was a step up from P3 in a lot of ways with regards to the romantic social links, but it's still kinda dumb that you can end up with like 7 girlfriends that all say they love you.

Marche90

^Interactions between characters do need a overhaul. It was a big oversight from the developers to be able to, for example, date both Yukiko and Chie at the same time; they are best friends, of course they would tell each other about it the moment it happened.

Hi, new new guy! Enjoy your stay!

Thing with this is: EVERYBODY has his favorite character. For example, it would be kinda annoying if I wanted to shoot for a specific character for a romantic S.Link (in my party, outsider's S.Links where the relation is only platonic wouldn't be a problem, since you don't interact with them a lot in the first place.) yet I were to be denied to do so. Maybe that's one way to do it: only be able to start a relationship with party members and maybe one or two characters outside that group.

...Well, I trust Atlus in the sense that at least things gets better with each installment. We aren't forced to romantic S.Links with everyone like in P3 anymore, for example.

Baby steps, everyone, baby steps.

I still find it ridiculous how you can be dating Chie and Yukiko at the same goddamn time and none of them will cotton on.

LOL. Just when I finished editing my post this popped up. Looks like this one is one of the biggest gripes with the game, and it shows =/

Moonlight

Banned
Yeah the romantic bits with Mitsuru were borderline ridiculous with how out of character she was for portions of that. Most of the faults with Makoto's--and P3's romantic Social Links are no doubt a result of their first outing for this sort of thing.

For me I just wish(as I mentioned earlier) that platonic relationships are a thing in these games. No really videogame developers--you can love a person of the opposite sex(or same sex for that matter) and it not be of a sexual nature.This happens all the time in life.

Personally I love the idea of well--social links not working out, like many real relationships don't. P4 was a step up from P3 in a lot of ways with regards to the romantic social links, but it's still kinda dumb that you can end up with like 7 girlfriends that all say they love you.
It was a weird bit of 'one step forward, one step back' with P3 and P4 with regards to romantic links. On one hand, P3 punished you for pursuing a romance with one character while you're pursuing a romance with another character, which was reasonable. What wasn't reasonable was the fact that you couldn't opt out of a romance at all, which complicated S. Links tremendously. P4 actually let you opt out, but then it just threw up its' hands and decided that was that. Hopefully, P5 irons that out and while I hardly want a full simulation of all the ups and downs of a romantic relationship, it'd be cool to see a bit more wrinkles in how they progress.

I still find it ridiculous how you can be dating Chie and Yukiko at the same goddamn time and none of them will cotton on.

Levito

Banned
Fair point on the 'cheating' element in P3, that's something the desperately need to bring back and refine.

"Sorry Yukiko, I know we love each other but Rise does too--so we're spending Christmas together"

*Phone hangs up*

fertygo

I think all the best character moment in modern Persona is when they're "platonic" really, Yu x Yosuke is best example of that, so I don't think its a shame they take out the romance option.. Its much more powerful that way.

Also Junpei's S.Link for FemC, its very FRESH.. you didn't end up as lover but you can still feel affection in it..

fertygo

I think they open up an worm can with giving dating option in P3.. Now they can't remove it or whatever and must go on with that.

Meia

Like I said, the cast of Persona 4 feels like a real group of friends. As such, the idea of "cheating" even being possible is really silly and highlights how the system needs to change moving forward. Yukiko and Chie are such close friends together that Chie's shadow is pretty much almost all about Yukiko. They get over their shadows, and thus themselves, and probably become even closer than they were before(and this after knowing each other for probably 10 years at this point).

But you TOTALLY date one without the other knowing. And even better, you can date them separately and neither are the wiser! Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :p

Some of Golden's new stuff at least acknowledged other people knowing about the relationships, and that's a step in the right direction that will hopefully continue further in 5(provided links are still in). Still loved how Yukiko kind of roots for Chie in the Valentine's scene, and Yosuke teases Chie just after.

Moonlight

Banned
Golden flirts a bit with making you feel like a big jerk for cheating (namely Rise's scene and Valentine's Day), but as far as real consequences or follow-up goes, it doesn't actually get there.

Yeah, I didn't like that honestly. First of all, sometimes they didn't make that much sense, and most of the times they made you feel very bad for refusing them. Like with Chie it was like "Let's be friend!" and she was like "Yeah... Friends". It made me feel so bad D:

On an unrelated note, what should I be careful about during my "testing" period?

fertygo

Golden flirts a bit with making you feel like a big jerk for cheating (namely Rise's scene and Valentine's Day), but as far as real consequences or follow-up goes, it doesn't actually get there.

We talking about how cool to having consequences for cheating and all, but its didn't make any sense too with the storyline still going on.

Will Yukari have big fight with Mitsuru after they goes BFF after Kyoto Trip, Chie n Yukiko fighting where in story event they always teasing each other, etc.

Maybe the game should just put strict rules about it..

Honestly Party member should just have their designated role.

Squire

Banned
I think they open up an worm can with giving dating option in P3.. Now they can't remove it or whatever and must go on with that.

It's not about removing it, but making it better and more believable. It's great they introduced it and hopefully they continue to iterate on it further; that's what we're saying here.

Romance is an element of life more games would do well to explore, preferably in a manner the doesn't feel like it was conceived by a 9th grader, as is typical in games now.

And as Levito says, plutonic relationships are just as interesting and worthy of exploration. Maybe that's why they removed the romantic element from Yosuke's S. Link. To me, that felt like an S. Link about connecting with your best friend; And if that was indeed what they were going for, they pulled it off, in my experience.

Heh, I see what you're saying. And I do agree.

For me though, just the fact the game acknowledged what I was doing and called me out on it worked wonders on me. That scene with Rise was poignant for me. I wasn't taking the romance stuff seriously (you know, relative to the experience) up until that moment.

Dantis

I had a dream last night that I played a Persona 5 demo.

I just woke up and realised that no such thing exists. And now I'm sad.

EDIT: I agree that there should be a party member who isn't a romance option. I also want other characters to have relationships.

Jintor

EDIT: I agree that there should be a party member who isn't a romance option. I also want other characters to have relationships.

Yes, absolutely.

One of the things i liked most about Golden is the additional scenes of members hanging out without you that you can get when going to the supermarket and stuff. One with Kanji and Yukiko, who normally don't get a lot of on-screen time together, and they're basically just talking about hair products, which I find hilarious.

FireSol

Welcome another newcomer ))
Wanna join this relationship descussion. Im on 3rd run in P4G, Chie romance. And 1 thing is bother me is that the lack of variety in events after S.Link is maxed. Yes, we have festivals, Christmas and Valentine day, but in week basis is always the same. I hope this moment will be improved. Also I want to see some analog of Nurse S.Link, but inside the party,
when person just go away and countinue to live their own live
. And there is 1 thing I liked in P3, but miss in P4G is ability to give presents to other members, I hope they bring this option back P5.

fertygo

Welcome another newcomer ))
Wanna join this relationship descussion. Im on 3rd run in P4G, Chie romance. And 1 thing is bother me is that the lack of variety in events after S.Link is maxed. Yes, we have festivals, Christmas and Valentine day, but in week basis is always the same. I hope this moment will be improved. Also I want to see some analog of Nurse S.Link, but inside the party,
when person just go away and countinue to live their own live
. And there is 1 thing I liked in P3, but miss in P4G is ability to give presents to other members, I hope they bring this option back P5.

Ugh, I'm not sure want to have more event when S.Link already maxed.. its seem waste of time for us doing it.

Squire

Banned
Yes, absolutely.

One of the things i liked most about Golden is the additional scenes of members hanging out without you that you can get when going to the supermarket and stuff. One with Kanji and Yukiko, who normally don't get a lot of on-screen time together, and they're basically just talking about hair products, which I find hilarious.

That was especially great because the game had already established those two already knew each other because of the local business connection. You'd think and hope there'd be more of that kind of stuff in the future.

And that was another cool thing about IS. Maya and Yukino come in together, already friends, completely seperste from you and your group.

Meia

They just really need to expand the slink idea, as it's a good one. Current implementation is too much like a checklist, where once they're "Maxed" you can cross them off and go onto the next. Real relationships kind of don't work that way, and if you don't see anyone anymore, guess what? They don't stay friends forever, same with the cheating thing.

I think it just sticks out all the more because the series has a nice variety of female characters, some of the best written ones in the business. Then for it to just devolve into "SENPAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIII" at the end of almost every link makes it stick out all the more. In this way Naoto's was almost handled the best in that it wasn't one simple option, but several across the span of it.

And as much as I loathe to admit it, Chie could have easily been a non-romancable option in 4. She kind of seems the least hurt by your rejection, and just seems in general a cool person to have around. It seems the Magician link MUST fill this role though(best friend and not able to date), which is why I'm hoping the next one is female.

That was especially great because the game had already established those two already knew each other because of the local business connection. You'd think and hope there'd be more of that kind of stuff in the future.

And that was another cool thing about IS. Maya and Yukino come in together, already friends, completely seperste from you and your group.

Actually this brings up another question I have. In 3, there were moments where you weren't on just the MC, but on some party members as they talked with each other or did some things on their own. It only lasted like a scene before you got control of the MC again, but 4 didn't really have ANY of that did it? There's like the one scene in the beginning with Dojima and Adachi talking about the case, and that's it, right? Why move away from that I wonder?

Dantis

Yes, absolutely.

Yup. It creates a kind of weird feeling when you're seemingly the only person in the school who is capable of having a relationship.

Squire

Banned
Actually this brings up another question I have. In 3, there were moments where you weren't on just the MC, but on some party members as they talked with each other or did some things on their own. It only lasted like a scene before you got control of the MC again, but 4 didn't really have ANY of that did it? There's like the one scene in the beginning with Dojima and Adachi talking about the case, and that's it, right? Why move away from that I wonder?

I don't think it's them moving away from that as much as it's them just serving the story as they need to. They don't do it much in P4 as there's no reason for it.

Remember, much of P3's story is characters keeping secrets from each other. It's all fine and well to do that, but you need to keep the audience in the loop and thus scene changes.

Jintor

At the same time though, having to maintain friendships begins to edge into monotonous territory.

The thing about attaching numbers and stats to character relationships is that eventually you just begin to see them like robots. Which, you know, they are, but the whole point of a decent work of fiction is to put an illusion over the whole thing and make you give a damn. So while it's jarring to s-link 10 people and then ignore them forever, it's probably more annoying in my opinion for them to need constant maintenance or reassurance or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom