• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a careful balancing point between being distinctive, being batshit, and being Dantis.

It's not really a mark of shame lol

I know which one I am!

EDIT: Art of Da Man for the top of the new page.

i__junpei_iori_by_faretis-d6q0dcv.jpg

kewlmyc

Dammit, you guys. Why do the best conversations happen at like 2 in the morning? Curse you College students, people who work from home, and west coasters.

I do agree that I think most of Makoto's flaws are from the fact that he was the first one that Atlus wrote to have social links. Since FeMC has the best, I think that's proof that they've gotten much better with experience. I kinda do wish we get a P3V at some point where they at least try to update the MaleMC route up a bit. They barely touched it at all in P3P.

Trigger

Dammit, you guys. Why do the best conversations happen at like 2 in the morning? Curse you College students, people who work from home, and west coasters.

Hey! lol, leave us college students alone. Finals are upon us
or maybe just me RIP.

Looks like I missed a good discussion. Everything that needed saying has been said, so I will only say that removed content from games is always interesting, such as the Junpei romance for the Female MC in P3P.

I know, I always seem to miss these great discussions... stupid sleep. :(

Actually, it's interesting you bring up the Junpei/FeMC relationship, buddha. I've always been torn on that one. On the one hand, Junpei is my favorite male character in the series, so obviously I wanted to be able to romance him during my FeMC playthrough and was sad that they removed that option. On the other hand, though, I feel that the relationship as presented in P3P is actually one of the best they've ever done. It actually felt like a realistic possibility: (Warning: P3 spoilers abound)

You start off the game becoming buddies with some light flirting (because Junpei), and that blossoms into the S.Link. Then your relationship deepens as you become even better friends; eating, talking about your families, and dealing with the whole picture-taking creepiness. But then there's also the SEES stuff, which has Junpei becoming jealous of FeMC and essentially disappearing once Chidori shows up. You can still interact with him over the next several months, but it isn't until Chidori's death that Junpei really comes back to the group. You pick up your friendship there and move towards the end of the game. Sometime in January you have that talk on the roof where you can choose to tell Junpei that you care for him and want to go out... but he turns you down (for the moment, at least). So you go on being great friends with the potential for future romance until March, and then...

I don't know, that arc just felt really genuine to me. For all of the "game"iness inherent in many of the S.Links and romances in Persona, I liked that this one didn't end "happily" for the player or for Junpei. Even if you did everything to min/max the relationship you don't get that payoff that I guess we've come to expect from romances in games. But it reflects real life. Sometimes the timing is just never right, and people miss each other.

tl;dr: I both wish and don't wish that you could romance Junpei as FeMC in P3P. :p

EDIT: Overnight I also missed a few new faces; as a fellow newbie, welcome to this great community!

EDIT 2: Maybe this should be spoiler tagged more...

Sophia

I still can't believe they ripoff character just like that

LMAO

This novel is garbage all around

Perhaps most jarring is the design is ripped specifically off the recent movie version, and not the original design or Mahou Tsukai no Yoru. :S

PK Gaming

I was much too exhausted write a counterargument last night, but here goes:

Those are good points, but think of the implication of the main character being a jerk, that means that he, like everyone else on the cast, has problems that he needs to
resolve. Now, ignoring the movie for now just because I haven't watched it so i can't speak about it. Now, I can think of three normal reasons someone would go around telling people what they want to hear:
  1. Apathy
  2. Knowing that whatever you say they will continue doing whatever they want
  3. Fear of their response
I think we can rule out apathy because if he really didn't care that much, why would he hang around them so much? Especially the old people (they are so boring!!)

The second one is actually true, but its still not a legitimate reason.

The third one however, makes the most sense given the game's theme is facing fear and stuff. Imagine you being in Makoto's shoes, you're an orphan, you've been bouncing around for sometime and somehow you end up in Iwatodai (I haven't played P3 in a while so I don't remember exactly why you moved there. Did Ikutsuki recruit you into SEES?) whatever the reason you moved, the fact is that there is nobody from his old life present at all, no family members, no friends, not even an orphanage worker to check in on you. The fact that you can just move in to a new city without anybody much caring means that he probably didn't have legal guardians (which he continues not having unless Ikutsuki adopts you sometime offscreen.) Somebody that's been that alone in life would very much be scared to lose friends by saying the wrong thing. By the end of the game he is very much fearless, which means he's probably gotten over his hangups and grown as a person.

I know I'm probably over-analyzing and his jerkiness was probably due to slightly sloppy writing, but let me dream dammit.

You are completely right about the romance. P4's romances are infinitely better written, what I was mostly referring to though was the fact that there is (kind of) some actual consequences for cheating, in that if you do two female SLinks at the same time one of them will reverse. Not a perfect system, as you can easily get around it, but its better than the consequence-free harem building that's present in P4.

I had actually forgotten about this because I barely ever went to the mall with the Dojimas, but you're right its one of the best things in the game.

You definitely bring up several good points about Makoto's characterization in P3, but it just wasn't my thing. Like you mention in your post, the execution is pretty sloppy (Makoto comes across as manipulative dick, rather than a person with problems) but i'm hoping that gets addressed in a potential P3 remake.

Also, the consequences for cheating in P3were pretty silly... you have an X-amount of days to hang out with one of your GFs, and if you don't do it in a certain amount of, your S.link gets reversed. My issue with that mechanic, is that you can actually smooth over the fact that you've been neglecting/cheating on your girlfriend by smoothing it over in one conversation. It doesn't really punish you for cheating, it just puts you on a timer. It's kind of messed up feature, since it does even more damage to the characterization of each of the girls (especially Chihiro who gets jealous in like... half of the time the other girls get jealous at) and the girls themselves are pretty easy to manage... It's definitely possible to date all of your GFs in one playthrough and not run into any problems... like some sly gigolo.

Thankfully, feature was actually removed in P3P, which I think servers a purpose beyond making it easier to max out S.links. Better to assume that each relationship takes place within its own universe, rather than to think that it's actually possible for Makoto to be dating multiple girls at the same time.

Gazoinks

I think it's borderline impossible to spawn the Reaper in P3 without the intention of fighting it due to how long it takes until that thing appears.

I once left P3 to go get a snack and when I came back I was in battle with the Reaper. x_x

Welcome more new people! I joined like two months ago, but I feel old and wizened with all these new people coming in.

PK Gaming

You start off the game becoming buddies with some light flirting (because Junpei), and that blossoms into the S.Link. Then your relationship deepens as you become even better friends; eating, talking about your families, and dealing with the whole picture-taking creepiness. But then there's also the SEES stuff, which has Junpei becoming jealous of FeMC and essentially disappearing once Chidori shows up. You can still interact with him over the next several months, but it isn't until Chidori's death that Junpei really comes back to the group. You pick up your friendship there and move towards the end of the game. Sometime in January you have that talk on the roof where you can choose to tell Junpei that you care for him and want to go out... but he turns you down (for the moment, at least). So you go on being great friends with the potential for future romance until March, and then...
That can happen?!? Wow, that puts their relationship in a whole new light for me...

I saved Chidori on my first playthrough of P3P... damn.
I'm never going to do that again, haha.

kewlmyc

I once left P3 to go get a snack and when I came back I was in battle with the Reaper. x_x

Welcome more new people! I joined like two months ago, but I feel old and wizened with all these new people coming in.

Same. When first playing it in college, I went to go eat with dormmates, and forgot to pause the game (no shadows were on the floor, Fuuka had stated). I come back and all my teammates are dead and I'm staring up at some evil looking monstrosity that has dual pistols. I was a mix of scared, confused, and in awe.

they did more p1q characters. click for more.

Wish it was American Mark instead.

PK Gaming

Oh. Whoops, maybe I should have spoiler tagged that earlier post more. Let me go and do that now.

But yeah, here's the scene if you want to see. (P3P spoilers, obv)
That... was an amazing scene. I didn't she'd straight mack on him like that... Pretty awkward for everyone involved, heh.

In any other situation, i'd laugh at Junpei for turning FeMC down but given the circumstances... (whistles)

As an aside, Persona 3's endgame is amazing.

I think you guys are reading too much into what exactly the P3 S. Links mean for Makoto's characterization. The "always telling them what they want to hear" thing always came off to me as a result of the s. links being written in a way where you (Makoto) are simply an observer. They are less about how the MC interacts with this character during whatever they're going through, and more that he's simply there to witness it or hear their story. In a way, it's just a flaw of the s. links in the game -- they don't feel very social, IMO.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I think you guys are reading too much into what exactly the P3 S. Links mean for Makoto's characterization. The "always telling them what they want to hear" thing always came off to me as a result of the s. links being written in a way where you (Makoto) are simply an observer. They are less about how the MC interacts with this character during whatever they're going through, and more that he's simply there to witness it or hear their story. In a way, it's just a flaw of the s. links in the game -- they don't feel very social, IMO.

How did you feel about Yu's in P4?

Meia

If he makes a Lisa one, I MAY have to use that one since the one Chie Persona Q that keeps being made is used by 2 different peeps now. :p

Also just got my namco fight stick in the mail thanks to Black Friday and Lem who first guided me to the deal in the first place. Time to start learning. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom