• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Hadn't even considered the fact that Junpei mirrors would be essentially playing Persona baseball:
BauQV6VCQAEvDsC.jpg:large

hao chi

Yeah that godlike Aigis was Yume, who won the grand championship match rather easily.

I can't help but wonder if Lord Knight just has trouble dealing with the pressure of the grand finals, because there was also this stomping in Continuum Shift 2.

Though to be fair to LK, it's also possible his opponents in both series were just ridiculously on point during the grand finals, and the point you made about him possibly being fatigued after his matches vs Bananaken could be true. I haven't followed him enough to really say for sure he's a choker or if he just has shit luck, anyhow.

I liked it. I like seeing Mitsuru's getting blown up, but that's just me. I do admit it was too big a blowup though. It was like watching a MMA fighter fight a middle schooler for 6 minutes straight. A Teddie won if I recall correctly, right? Or was it Aigis?

I'm all for watching Mitsuru getting bodied, but I was disappointed the grand finals was Mitsuru vs Aigis. Would have been cool to see a lower tier character (*cough*SLab*cough*).

Levito

Banned
One time in college we were shotgunning at a party, made it to our 12th set of beers I think it was, and ended up violently barfing all over my buddy's kitchen floor. Then then his dog ran up and began trying to eat aforementioned barf. His dog was this rather stubborn big German Shepard, strong dog, took 2 people to pull him away. In the shuffle another friend slipped in said puke and got it all over their lap.

Where the fuck is my dark and mysterious Persona game?

Rhapsody

Banned
I can't help but wonder if Lord Knight just has trouble dealing with the pressure of the grand finals, because there was also this stomping in Continuum Shift 2.

Though to be fair to LK, it's also possible his opponents in both series were just ridiculously on point during the grand finals, and the point you made about him possibly being fatigued after his matches vs Bananaken could be true. I haven't followed him enough to really say for sure he's a choker or if he just has shit luck, anyhow.

I'm all for watching Mitsuru getting bodied, but I was disappointed the grand finals was Mitsuru vs Aigis. Would have been cool to see a lower tier character (*cough*SLab*cough*).
Even though he has a history of taking 2nd at Evo, I'd say he only choked on CS2's GFs.
Spark was definitely on point too in that set which didn't help, and there's also the fact it's hard to find a safe spot to burst against Hakumen.

LK and other players have already stated that Mitsuru does badly against pressure from characters like Yu, Chie, and Aigis. But the majority of players in the US don't realize that and think Mitsuru was OP. She's lucky to have a good DP, but it's still risky and slower than what people would think.

Also Shabrys is really good. Not too far from Mitsuru at all imo.

FluxWaveZ

LK and other players have already stated that Mitsuru does badly against pressure from characters like Yu, Chie, and Aigis. But the majority of players in the US don't realize that and think Mitsuru was OP. She's lucky to have a good DP, but it's still risky and slower than what people would think.

Also Shabrys is really good. Not too far from Mitsuru at all imo.

Mitsuru players liked to use excuses as to why their character wasn't actually good a lot. Lord Knight even claimed that the Shadow Labrys vs. Mitsuru MU was in favor of S. Lab. It's all crap.

And I'd disagree with S. Lab being really good. The only reason it might seem that way is for a select few players like Bananaken who are capable of using her so efficiently, but I feel pretty confident in saying she's nowhere near the level of Mitsuru. The S. Lab and Mitsuru changes in P4A2 as well as the overall number of players for the two characters both in Japan and North America reflects that.

Rhapsody

Banned
Mitsuru players liked to use excuses as to why their character wasn't actually good a lot. Lord Knight even claimed that the Shadow Labrys vs. Mitsuru MU was in favor of S. Lab. It's all crap.

And I'd disagree with S. Lab being really good. The only reason it might seem that way is for a select few players like Bananaken who are capable of using her so efficiently, but I feel pretty confident in saying she's nowhere near the level of Mitsuru. The S. Lab and Mitsuru changes in P4A2 as well as the overall number of players for the two characters both in Japan and North America reflects that.

I feel that it's 5:5 at worst on Shabrys vs Mitsuru. Also I agree with her weaknesses for sure though. Her fastest move is throw while her fastest normal is as fast as Labrys's fastest normal. If she had the same DP as Labrys, she'd have difficulty getting out of pressure. Mitsuru players definitely complain about their weaknesses but I personally think there was a Wesker mentality going around for that character with the people complaining about how good she is.

As for Shabrys, I really think so many players are underestimating her (along with Akihiko and Yosuke).
Metagame has changed for her a lot. Especially at Japan I'm hearing.

Overall amount of players doesn't mean if a character is straight up strong or not on the highest level. BB's a good example on CS2 Tsubaki and any preCP Arakune.

FluxWaveZ

I feel that it's 5:5 at worst on Shabrys vs Mitsuru. Also I agree with her weaknesses for sure though. Her fastest move is throw while her fastest normal is as fast as Labrys's fastest normal. If she had the same DP as Labrys, she'd have difficulty getting out of pressure. Mitsuru players definitely complain about their weaknesses but I personally think there was a Wesker mentality going around for that character with the people complaining about how good she is.

There's also the fact that Mitsuru can break Asterius extremely easily. Mitsuru is one of the few characters who has the easiest ways to break or interrupt Asterius' attacks. That alone makes me think it's in no way an equal MU. Then there's S. Lab's pitiful health and no great way to approach Mitsuru because of her long range.

I don't know about Wesker, but P4A Mitsuru was pretty ridiculous.

Overall amount of players doesn't mean if a character is straight up strong or not on the highest level. BB's a good example on CS2 Tsubaki and any preCP Arakune.

At tournament level play? I know that Aigis is the least played character online in P4A, but she's one of the most played characters in tournaments along with Chie and Mitsuru, it seems.

todd360

I want persona 5 to be about 1st graders. Think about it. Who is the most unfree person in todays world? Its obviously first graders breh. They still have years of school until they are free! We don't need to go more mature. We need to go less mature. Think about the character development possibilities! We can have one of the party members be a cry baby. At the end of the game he will be only kinda a cry baby! plus think of the baby personas! baby izanagi is to edgy for u bro. Also this is the perfect chance for a female only main character option cause 1st grade protag won't go after boys. Then we won't have to feel gay amirite? Everyone's favorite character is nanako so we need to milk that by having all 1st graders. one of the social links will feature a child chorus singing everydays great at your junes. We also don't have to deal with those stupid jobs with 1st grader protag cause 1st graders don't work. The dungeon will be in an elementary school locker. 1st grade protag girl will be bullied when she first moves to the new school. The other girls will push her into the locker world then freak out when shes suddenly gone. The velvet room theme will be a nursery.

I want persona 5 to be about 1st graders. Think about it. Who is the most unfree person in todays world? Its obviously first graders breh. They still have years of school until they are free! We don't need to go more mature. We need to go less mature. Think about the character development possibilities! We can have one of the party members be a cry baby. At the end of the game he will be only kinda a cry baby! plus think of the baby personas! baby izanagi is to edgy for u bro. Also this is the perfect chance for a female only main character option cause 1st grade protag won't go after boys. Then we won't have to feel gay amirite? Everyone's favorite character is nanako so we need to milk that by having all 1st graders. one of the social links will feature a child chorus singing everydays great at your junes. We also don't have to deal with those stupid jobs with 1st grader protag cause 1st graders don't work. The dungeon will be in an elementary school locker. 1st grade protag girl will be bullied when she first moves to the new school. The other girls will push her into the locker world then freak out when shes suddenly gone. The velvet room theme will be a nursery.

Shutupandtakemymoney.gif

Rhapsody

Banned
There's also the fact that Mitsuru can break Asterius extremely easily. Mitsuru is one of the few characters who has the easiest ways to break or interrupt Asterius' attacks. That alone makes me think it's in no way an equal MU. Then there's S. Lab's pitiful health and no great way to approach Mitsuru because of her long range.

I don't know about Wesker, but P4A Mitsuru was pretty ridiculous.
The only reason why I think it's 5:5 at worst (at worst for Mitsuru I mean) is only after the knockdown, similar Yu vs Mitsuru. Mitsuru definitely does well (an understatement) in neutral against most of the cast, but I always have to take account on a character's wakeup game and options out of pressure. Mitsuru has amazing range that's hard to get in on, but that relies on how well the opponent can whiff punish and IB. Her situation is like Billy Kane in KoF XIII where the range destroys most people, so there's just a greater learning curve on the matchup.

The Wesker comparison is only just me saying that it's a good character (although Mitsuru is better), but the character is a good scrub killer that people learned to adapt to after time, which was happening to Mitsuru in Japan.
At tournament level play? I know that Aigis is the least played character online in P4A, but she's one of the most played characters in tournaments along with Chie and Mitsuru, it seems.
At tournament level play. Shabrys's situation reminds me of Carl's in CT. Everyone thought the character wasn't that great and had some really bad matchups, but after time people found out how to deal with it and found new tech/setups (outside of clap trap loop).

FluxWaveZ

The only reason why I think it's 5:5 at worst (at worst for Mitsuru I mean) is only after the knockdown, similar Yu vs Mitsuru. Mitsuru definitely does well (an understatement) in neutral against most of the cast, but I always have to take account on a character's wakeup game and options out of pressure. Mitsuru has amazing range that's hard to get in on, but that relies on how well the opponent can whiff punish and IB. Her situation is like Billy Kane in KoF XIII where the range destroys most people, so there's just a greater learning curve on the matchup.

Ah, I see. Upon knockdown, S. Lab's mixup game is indeed pretty great and there's not much Mitsuru can do about it aside from her DP which is really risky. Most of what I'm saying concerning the MU is anecdotal evidence from my experience, and I find myself at a distinct disadvantage against Mitsuru when I play S. Lab, so it's easy for me to think that she just has full control of the situation and the MU relies on Mitsuru making a mistake.

At tournament level play. Shabrys's situation reminds me of Carl's in CT. Everyone thought the character wasn't that great and had some really bad matchups, but after time people found out how to deal with it and found new tech/setups (outside of clap trap loop).

This makes sense, though I don't know how much is left to be discovered in P4A in terms of new tech, especially with P4A2 out.

All I know is that I don't want characters who are so obviously above the rest like P4A's Aigis, Chie and Mitsuru for P4A2. Jiyuna seems to think the tiers have stuck, but I don't trust him.

todd360

Rhapsody

Banned
All I know is that I don't want characters who are so obviously above the rest like P4A's Aigis, Chie and Mitsuru for P4A2. Jiyuna seems to think the tiers have stuck, but I don't trust him.
Yeah, agreed, especially on the last part since it's so early.

For P4A I probably feel the way I do because every character feels really strong, it's just the top has stuff that can crush or neutralize certain strengths. Which is why "close" matchups can feel so bad at the same time if they can't get anything started.

Even if the tiers somehow do stay relatively the same, at least it looks a more condensed.
Top of last game made get a little tired of it.

Swedesu

Now you've just reminded me that sequel to Zero Escape is still far off.
Well Danganronpa and Corpse Party: Blood Drive is almost here so there's something at least. I've also been trying out Uchikoshi's earlier work, but it's just not the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom