• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

It's the problem with systemetising relationships, but if it doesn't catch your imagination (our inpenetrable rock Dantis-kun is our example) then it's all kinda shot...

Sorian

Banned
Less S. Links? Then there could be more scenes to each link.

Or making the links more dependent on other links so that you can get more of everyone since they will show up in each other's s-links. The problem here is doing it in such a way so that the player intuitively knows who else needs to be high s-link leveled to level up the current link.

Or making the links more dependent on other links so that you can get more of everyone since they will show up in each other's s-links. The problem here is doing it in such a way so that the player intuitively knows who else needs to be high s-link leveled to level up the current link.

Oooh, that sounds interesting, and it would fix some of my gripes with the S-link system. The issue which you brought up is a big one though... Building on that, I'd really like to see the characters build relationships with each other on their own. I always felt that it would've been cool if we got to see Yosuke and Kanji become good friends, outside of group scenes, or if we got to see Yukiko and Kanji develop a friendship again.
Of course, there's also the shoulda-been relationships, barring that MC is not occupying that spot.

LX_Theo

Banned
I was thinking... Would it be possible to make a smaller S-link cast and have people with multiple arcana/S-link progressions? Because, as I understand it, the arcana isn't so much a mirror of a personality as much as it is a mirror of their character progression. And character progression can cover multiple phases of these.

I imagine it could be handled much in the same way the stat blocked SLinks levels are handled. Ie, give a little warning message like "You need to be closer to someone who is good at (whatever) before you can help"

PK Gaming

I think the main issue with romance in S.links is that most of them don't really anything to do with romance until the very end. The only ones that manages to ease into the idea of being a couple are Yukiko's S.link (since she shows obvious signs of being into you during the earlier ranks), Yukari's (since she manages to overcome her inner demon and finally fall in love with someone). Oh and I guess Chihiro's, which is pretty much the entire point of her S.link, hahaha. For the others, the transition from friend ---> lover comes off as abrupt. (Not that I really mind, and some of the new events in P4G kind of alleviates this)

In P5, they should give you two sets of S.links. One where you clearly have intention of romancing someone, and the other where you're just friends. Ideally, this would be a deliberate choice given to the player at the beginning (so you don't run into situations where you accidentally romance someone).

LX_Theo

Banned
I think the main issue with romance in S.links is that most of them don't anything to do with romance until the very end. The only one that manages to ease into the idea of being a couple is Yukiko's S.link, since she shows obvious signs of being into you during the earlier ranks, and Yukari's (since she manages to overcome her inner demon and finally fall in love with someone). Oh and I guess Chihiro's, which is pretty much the sole purpose of her S.link, hahaha. For the others, the transition from friend ---> lover comes off as abrupt. (Not that I really mind, the new years eve event kind of fixes this)

In P5, they should give you two sets of S.links. One where you clearly have intention of romancing someone, and the other where you're just friends. Ideally, this would be a deliberate choice given to the player at the beginning (so you don't run into situations where you accidentally romance someone).
You'd have to give quite a few time to back out of the romance path, then. Because picking who you romance off first impressions would cause issues.

PK Gaming

You'd have to give quite a few time to back out of the romance path, then. Because picking who you romance off first impressions would cause issues.

Right

The game could possibly give you plenty of chances to back out (or in, in the reverse circumstance)

Wouldn't want to deal with P4s endgame again...

Right

The game could possibly give you plenty of chances to back out (or in, in the reverse circumstance)

I actually think that it would be pretty funny if you couldn't get out of the friend path. Persona MCs are so used to friend-zoning people, it would be refreshing to see it happen whoever the new MC is.

LX_Theo

Banned
Why not have that work like breaking up in the previous games? It would just swap over the S-Link paths, I suppose.

Right

An option, if done right. What I see being an issue is transitioning between the two in a natural way. If you want to make it so the romance one slowly brings you into it feeling natural rather than abrupt, then it'll have to get more and more divergent with the normal path as it goes.

The idea of reversals to do the transitions could work, too. Then again, reversals are more a sign of you doing something wrong and unless people know, it could make people think they did something inherently wrong for just switching paths.

I actually think that it would be pretty funny if you couldn't get out of the friend path. Persona MCs are so used to friend-zoning people, it would be refreshing to see it happen whoever the new MC is.
Would be funny, but then that would just encourage people to only do the romance at the beginning.

Romance S. Links always ending up looking weird when story moments happen and characters act no different towards you as if you'd never even began their S. link. One of my biggest issues with Persona 4 in this regard.

The best solution would be to have a canon love interest ala Yukari but I doubt they'd do that after P4

Acid08

Banned
I think a good solution should be having to maintain your intimate relationships in event scenarios. They did it in P4 a lot, where you have to pick one person to spend time with at festivals, on trips, etc. If you don't pick your romantic partner then the slink could break and you'd have to repair it. And if you're two timing girls the one you don't pick will get pissed.

What I hope they don't do is make spending extra time with your romantic slinks mandatory in non-event stuff. I don't like the idea of having to forgo new slink experiences just to maintain a current one.

The catch-22 with all this stuff is that, while more realistic options may be nice, if they're too rigid then it detracts from the fun of the game. The penalties can't be too harsh or it wouldn't even be fun to do romance stuff. Things should still remain fairly straightforward and light.

LX_Theo

Banned
Yes. Also, I believe that Rise was canon for Persona 4. That's the Lover's Arcana for you.

Persona2_163.png

Moonlight

Banned
I think the main issue with romance in S.links is that most of them don't really anything to do with romance until the very end. The only ones that manages to ease into the idea of being a couple are Yukiko's S.link (since she shows obvious signs of being into you during the earlier ranks), Yukari's (since she manages to overcome her inner demon and finally fall in love with someone). Oh and I guess Chihiro's, which is pretty much the entire point of her S.link, hahaha. For the others, the transition from friend ---> lover comes off as abrupt. (Not that I really mind, and some of the new events in P4G kind of alleviates this)

Yukari is legitimately the best written and handled romance in Persona, IMO, and the only one in P3 (I don't remember much of Chihiro, sorry) where the relationship feels like a natural extension of her character and character arc, between the Social Link proper and the stuff that they threw into the main plot.
That scene on the beach on Yakushima is legitimately one of my favourite scenes in the game. Always boggles me to see people complain about Yukari, given that. They really sell how confused and conflicted over everything going on in her life, particularly after having the one person in her life that she's truly admired despite everything pretty much admitting to (even posthumously and, sure, doctored footage) being the reason that almost everything in her life is so screwed up. And at no point is she not self-aware about how difficult it is for her to trust people. But I digress.

Though as far as 'easing you in', you could probably make a case for Rise, with how playful she's really being with her flirtations pretty much up to whether or not you're dating her.

PK Gaming

Yes. Also, I believe that Rise was canon for Persona 4. That's the Lover's Arcana for you.
Neither Yu or Rise make a passing reference to their relationship in P4A, so I think we can rule it out. We can also rule out Yukari's since there's no evidence to support it (though Yukari being in love with Makoto Yuki is canon)

As an aside, the Lovers arcana doesn't primarily deal with romance. It's ultimately about choosing between your personal belief or values. In other words, it's about deciding for yourself what's important in life. Persona 3/4 does a surprisingly good job at representing this arcana.

Wait, am I missing something? How are they "canon" aside from being of the Lovers arcana? Is this something merely decreed by the fans or is there evidence?

Well, there's the fact that she's the default date in the story, and then during the beach scene when she learns
how her father really died
it's pretty clear she has feelings for you.

Mainly its a result of The Answer though. Unless there is some other explanation for her actions that I'm not aware.

edit: well the fact that she's willing to
possibly end the world just to see him again
I would consider pretty strong evidence.

I really want to watch the P3 movie while at the same time supporting whoever made it. Also hey guys who do you think will most likely make a cameo in P5?

FluxWaveZ

Well, there's the fact that she's the default date in the story, and then during the beach scene when she learns
how her father really died
it's pretty clear she has feelings for you.

Mainly its a result of The Answer though. Unless there is some other explanation for her actions that I'm not aware.

What does "default date" mean?

And when I think "love interest", I'm thinking reciprocated love by Makoto himself, not simply unrequited. It's obvious that Yukari, Aigis and Elizabeth have rather deep feelings for him, but none of them are "canon" love interests in the sense I'm referring to.

Neither Yu or Rise make a passing reference to their relationship in P4A, so I think we can rule it out. We can also rule out Yukari's since there's no evidence to support it (though Yukari being in love with Makoto Yuki is canon)

As an aside, the Lovers arcana doesn't primarily deal with romance. It's ultimately about choosing between your personal belief or values. In other words, it's about deciding for yourself what's important in life. Persona 3/4 does a surprisingly good job at representing this arcana.

Rise is canon because I say so.

PK Gaming

Yukari is legitimately the best written and handled romance in Persona, IMO, and the only one in P3 (I don't remember much of Chihiro, sorry) where the relationship feels like a natural extension of her character and character arc, between the Social Link proper and the stuff that they threw into the main plot.
That scene on the beach on Yakushima is legitimately one of my favourite scenes in the game. Always boggles me to see people complain about Yukari, given that. They really sell how confused and conflicted over everything going on in her life, particularly after having the one person in her life that she's truly admired despite everything pretty much admitting to (even posthumously and, sure, doctored footage) being the reason that almost everything in her life is so screwed up. And at no point is she not self-aware about how difficult it is for her to trust people. But I digress.

Though as far as 'easing you in', you could probably make a case for Rise, with how playful she's really being with her flirtations pretty much up to whether or not you're dating her.
Agreed.

And I seriously can't believe I forgot about Rise of all characters. I like hers too since Yu actually gets to know the real her in the S.link, and he's ultimately the one that gets to make the decision to be in a relationship with her since she's definitely open to it(and completely in-tune with her feelings, I might add). It's a shame that the catalyst to going steady involves hugging her (which is something I would do, with or without the intent to date her...)

LX_Theo

Banned
I really want to watch the P3 movie while at the same time supporting whoever made it. Also hey guys who do you think will most likely make a cameo in P5?
In order of how likely I think they are...

Nanako (popularity and young in earlier games)
Teddie (mascot and ageless)
Ken (young in earlier games)
Elizabeth/Magaret (if they continue Elizabeth's story from P4A without resolving it in P4U2)
Aigis/Labrys (ageless)
Mitsuru (on the off chance they involve the shadow operatives)

Though, I doubt there will be any

Moonlight

Banned
Rise may or may not be canon, but the Lovers Arcana is always guaranteed to be best character.
Agreed.

And I seriously can't believe I forgot about Rise of all characters. I like hers too since the protagonist actually gets to know the real her in the S.link, and he's ultimately the one to make the decision to date her or not since she's definitely open to it. It's a shame that the catalyst to going steady involves hugging her (which is something I would do, with or without the intent to date her...)
It's kind of weird, especially, because I don't even think what Rise herself says after that immediately indicates romance. She's like "sorry, I gotta go figure some stuff out" and walks away. Then the game tells you you're dating.

Where's the 'don't be cry' comic when you need it.

Necrovex

Yukari was the best S-Link in Persona 3; Rise was the best S-link in Persona 4. Embrace the Lover arcana, guys. Best arcana out there!

kewlmyc

Wait, am I missing something? How are they "canon" aside from being of the Lovers arcana? Is this something merely decreed by the fans or is there evidence?
Yukari I can understand because she's the default choice for the festival and Christmas date if you don't romance any girls. Rise.... I guess she's constantly crushing on you the whole game so I guess that's how some people decide it's canon. But it's getting to the point that who cares what's canon. It's not like the main games beside the 2 Persona 2 games have any serious continuity to them.

I really want Kanji to be the shopkeeper who sells you handmade weapons and accessories. It's a pipe dream for sure, but it would be hilarious ;P

In order of how likely I think they are...

Nanako (popularity and young in earlier games)
Teddie (mascot and ageless)
Ken (young in earlier games)
Elizabeth/Magaret (if they continue Elizabeth's story from P4A without resolving it in P4U2)
Aigis/Labrys (ageless)
Mitsuru (on the off chance they involve the shadow operatives)

Though, I doubt there will be any

I'm 90% sure they will at least put Rise in there somewhere. Even for the smallest thing, like a poster or a TV commercial in the intro.

Acid08

Banned

*clap clap clap*

Well said, Yukari is the best. She's definitely one of the reasons why I prefer P3 to P4.

FluxWaveZ

Yukari I can understand because she's the default choice for the fesival and Christmas date if you don't romance any girls. Rise.... I guess she's constantly crushing on you the whole game so I guess that's how some people decide it's canon. But it's getting to the point that who cares what's canon. It's not like the main games beside the 2 Persona 2 games have any serious continuity to them.

Ah, so that's what default date meant. I didn't know that; that's interesting.

I think canon is important in terms of building fiction, but I won't speculate as to what is or what isn't. Anything the creators deem as canon or anything that is made explicit is all that can be called canon, in my eyes.

Lovers does NOT mean canon love interest, just like Death does NOT mean...Death per say...except in P3, where they just sort of...did that for no reason?

Best male and female in each game time?

P1: Nanjo and Eriko
P2IS: Eikichi and Maya
P2EP: Baofu and Ulala
P3: Junpei/Shinjiro tie and Yukari
P4: Kanji and Yukiko

Well this is I guess a bit more meta (not really sure what the correct word would be here). If you don't date any of the girls in P3 Yukari is the one you take out to the Summer Festival and Christmas Eve. Not to mention the fact that unless I'm mistaken, Elizabeth doesn't really get super involved until post-P3 and Aigis doesn't even get an S-Link until FES.

But the real point, as others have mentioned,is that Yukari's S-Link fits more into the story than probably any other S-Link in both P3 and P4. If it was actually part of the main story it would not seem out of place like the other S-links would.

I mean, considering that P3 MC is a blank slate you could really interpret their relationship however you want but the evidence is there.

Personally, I would really like to see something more like that in P5. I love Persona 3 (not enough to spend another 80+ on a second playthrough though!) and appreciate its method of storytelling for the members of SEES far greater than the character development in P4. Having a canon love interest would do wonders to the story in my opinion, though looking at all the extra stuff Atlus added for P4 Golden makes me wonder if they'd ever actually do that again.

fertygo

Yukari S-LInk just good because how bad the other romance S.Link in P3.. Its still bad enough for me.

I'll just imagine Akinari x Makoto as OTP, that just how bad the romance S.Link is.

Soma

Akinari is the best S. Link in P3.

Either Kanji or Nanako was the best S. Link is P4.
I never finished Nanako's because my expression (or whatever it was...) was too low and by the time I got to the last rank, plot happened in the game. ;____;

I did finish Dojima's though. THAT was an excellent social link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom