• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atlus tends to reuse voice actors a lot. One that always bothers me is in the ending to Persona 3, where Aigis speaks, the scene transitions, and the unnamed NPC that's class representative speaks. They have the same actor, and it's rather obvious.

I remember another one, where at the end of Dojima's Social Link, you have one thugs that Dojima chases after sounding like Yosuke

LX_Theo

Banned
Hey, I was wondering something and thought someone here might know.

I'm looking for a set of tarot cards based off the Persona deck from 3/4. It'd seem like an obvious thing for them to make a collector's item out of.

I just thinking that if I was to get any collector's type merchandise for the series, it would probably be that. Any idea of a reliable place where I could get a set? Possibly even one not to wallet breaking (though that's not a requirement)?

Thanks for any replies.

Freakmonkey

Neo Member
Yeah he's not my favorite or anything but he does a good job and I always really appreciate when hip hop is used in games.

It's like when I heard Just Blaze made the soundtrack for that last XBLA turtles game and I wanted to buy it based off that principle alone, I don't even need to play it, I'll just stand in a corner.

FluxWaveZ

I'm looking for a set of tarot cards based off the Persona deck from 3/4. It'd seem like an obvious thing for them to make a collector's item out of.

I just thinking that if I was to get any collector's type merchandise for the series, it would probably be that. Any idea of a reliable place where I could get a set? Possibly even one not to wallet breaking (though that's not a requirement)?

Thanks for any replies.

Ebay
My pics

Only place I've seen.

Sophia

Maybe it's because of the picture, but your cards seem like they'd bend Flux.... having a super high quality deck with all the minor arcana would be nice.

LX_Theo

Banned
Shame, was hoping for a legitimate full deck. Not sure what the line is for high quality is, but something in the range of playing cards would be awesome.

It seems like something that most Persona fans would love to have. Its just asking to be made and sold. Atlus should really get on this.

You know, it would also make an awesome pre-order bonus. Do it for P5, Atlus, do it!

Daimaou

One of the LEs of Persona 3 in Japan came with a tarot set. I think it was only the major arcana, though.

Edit: To be more specific it was a retailer specific one. I think it may have been Konamistyle?

cj_iwakura

I've begun the very time-consuming, possibly useless task of compiling an SMTIV OST. I'll try to keep an order of some sort.

So many great tracks.

Levito

Banned
Holy shit, dude. If she ever came on the podcast you'd HAVE to let me on. Would be so awesome.

Dude, absolutely!

I know she's really fan friendly too, heard a podcast interview with her that was recorded in sept.

Speaking of which, did you guys ever look into getting Dave Wittenberg on the show? He's one of my favorite voice actors, period, but I wasn't sure how awkward you might think things would be since he's been replaced as Teddie, even if it sounds like it was all down to scheduling conflicts.

Also, it's fun going through P4G and seeing both him and Riegel play other characters from the sound bites recorded from 2008. Wittenberg does a good Izanagi, and it's funny hearing Riegel ham it up as a news reporter. Most funny of all, though, is that Saki's VA clearly voices a bunch of extra characters immediately after she dies off (so much for emotional impact).

Think it's been discussed, but all the stuff he did for Persona was so long ago. Probably doesn't remember it much.

It's like how some people are insisting I get in contact with P2 voice actors even though it was like 10+ years ago and they recorded very few lines. Frickin' Sam Riegel bearly remembered recording anything Teddie related.

Amanda Win Lee was on P2's cast though heehee

Gazoinks

In the IS remake yeah, Amanda was in the OG EP release though!

That's never going to happen though, Mr. Baker is practically a celebrity at this point. :p

Yeah, he's recently ended up everywhere. Seems like a cool guy, like his voice acting, but it seems like he's suffering a bit from Nolan North syndrome where he keeps getting typecast as a gruff dude when he can do more.

pan-hime

ASW gonna hold a P4U2 live stream in 5 days to show off SHO Minazuki that will be added along with the update. Page might also be teasing some other announcement, but I'm not sure.

"And maybe some big announcement in the program?"
oooo, haven't heard about this! And yeah, they're teasing something on the page.
at the 18th, 7AM EST/4AM PST to boot.

Nachos

Dude, absolutely!

Think it's been discussed, but all the stuff he did for Persona was so long ago. Probably doesn't remember it much.

It's like how some people are insisting I get in contact with P2 voice actors even though it was like 10+ years ago and they recorded very few lines. Frickin' Sam Riegel bearly remembered recording anything Teddie related.

Amanda Win Lee was on P2's cast though heehee

That makes sense, but I think you might be surprised. Sure, something like Izanagi might be a bit forgettable, but Dave has a history of voicing a bunch of characters in SMT. Speaking of P2, he did choice Katsuya in EP.

Atlus tends to reuse voice actors a lot. One that always bothers me is in the ending to Persona 3, where Aigis speaks, the scene transitions, and the unnamed NPC that's class representative speaks. They have the same actor, and it's rather obvious.

I mean, that's definitely Atlus' shtick, but I also think that's Yuri Lowenthall's fault more than anything else. =P

Shame, was hoping for a legitimate full deck. Not sure what the line is for high quality is, but something in the range of playing cards would be awesome.

It seems like something that most Persona fans would love to have. Its just asking to be made and sold. Atlus should really get on this.

You know, it would also make an awesome pre-order bonus. Do it for P5, Atlus, do it!
It's not quite the same, but you might want to look into a Thoth deck for something with every single card, major, minor and face. The thing's a classic and clearly inspired the look of the Persona deck, if only partially.

Sophia

I mean, that's definitely Atlus' shtick, but I also think that's Yuri Lowenthall's fault more than anything else. =P

Usually, the blame for minor characters sounding like major characters lies on the dubbing director. Not much thought is put into how the character should sound. They're only an NPC after all!

Nachos

Usually, the blame for minor characters sounding like major characters lies on the dubbing director. Not much thought is put into how the character should sound. They're only an NPC after all!

True, but I was more joking about how he's usually cast. As much as I like his actual acting, having him voice more than one character in a project usually ends poorly, the only exception I can think of being stuff like P3 and Catherine. At least from what I've heard, it doesn't help that he doesn't seem to have the widest range, anyway, although he does his specific niche very well.

Thanks for any replies.

As part of creating my Persona tabletop RPG system (still a work in progress), I realized that I needed a deck of tarot cards for the Shuffle Time mechanic I was creating. Eventually I found this site, which has a high-quality PDF version of the cards, including the back. Using this, you can get the deck printed on whatever quality paper/stock you want. I made a test deck using some pretty basic card stock and they came out great.

No minor arcana, but for what I needed it worked just fine.

As part of creating my Persona tabletop RPG system (still a work in progress), I realized that I needed a deck of tarot cards for the Shuffle Time mechanic I was creating. Eventually I found this site, which has a high-quality PDF version of the cards, including the back. Using this, you can get the deck printed on whatever quality paper/stock you want. I made a test deck using some pretty basic card stock and they came out great.

No minor arcana, but for what I needed it worked just fine.

Wow! That's an awesome sounding concept. What is the rest of the game like?

Nymphae

Banned
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask for help, but here goes.

I started P4 the other day and have really been enjoying it so far, I just got to Yukiko's Castle and am having some difficulty.

I've (contrary to advice) been following a guide just to get me through the first parts of the game so I feel comfortable, and it feels like I've been doing pretty good so far.

It feels like I don't have enough resources to get through the dungeon. I've got like 6 SP recovering items that recover shit all (10 SP? gimme a break) and don't find many in the dungeon itself. Just getting to the 7th level with enough resources is proving way too difficult, I run out of SP at like the 5th floor.

I made a separate save and tried leaving the dungeon and going home, so I could look for more SP recovering items to buy, but there aren't enough items to buy, and I don't have a ton of money.

Any advice as to what I should do here? I'm kind of at a loss for ideas and after dying 4 or 5 times last night I was seriously considering just quitting here, but I want to get through it dammit.

Sophia

Firstly, you do know that leaving the Midnight Channel for the day gives your party a full recovery for the next day, right?

Also, easiest way to recover SP that early is to grab as many Cup suit cards in Shuffle Time (Try to get them all for the bonus if you can) and keep going between floors searching treasure chests for SP recovery items. Exiting to the Midnight Channel lobby and reentering the dungeon will randomize the floors again, thus restoring the treasure chests. Avoid fighting battles if you can to save SP, and try to use physical skills (which consume HP instead of SP) if you must fight.

Also, use the SOS feature if you have internet available. It probably won't amount to much anymore, but extra is extra.

Eventually, you'll get access to the shrine fox, who can restore your party's SP for a cost in money while in the Midnight Channel.

Omikaru

I started P4 the other day and have really been enjoying it so far, I just got to Yukiko's Castle and am having some difficulty.

I've (contrary to advice) been following a guide just to get me through the first parts of the game so I feel comfortable, and it feels like I've been doing pretty good so far.

It feels like I don't have enough resources to get through the dungeon. I've got like 6 SP recovering items that recover shit all (10 SP? gimme a break) and don't find many in the dungeon itself. Just getting to the 7th level with enough resources is proving way too difficult, I run out of SP at like the 5th floor.

I made a separate save and tried leaving the dungeon and going home, so I could look for more SP recovering items to buy, but there aren't enough items to buy, and I don't have a ton of money.

Any advice as to what I should do here? I'm kind of at a loss for ideas and after dying 4 or 5 times last night I was seriously considering just quitting here, but I want to get through it dammit.

Save your SP recovery items for emergencies. They are a scarce resource. Once you've run out of SP, usually that's a sign that it's time to leave the Midnight Channel and go home for the day. You can always return the next day and continue where you left off.

Nymphae

Banned
Firstly, you do know that leaving the Midnight Channel for the day gives your party a full recovery for the next day, right?

Also, easiest way to recover SP that early is to grab as many Cup suit cards in Shuffle Time (Try to get them all for the bonus if you can) and keep going between floors searching treasure chests for SP recovery items. Exiting to the Midnight Channel lobby and reentering the dungeon will randomize the floors again, thus restoring the treasure chests.

Yeah I knew that about leaving the MC, but then I'm wasting a day (and the next day is Thurs, so I miss Drama practice to get back into the MC before Friday - I'd rather finish it on Wed if possible), and doesn't that force you to start at the beginning of the dungeon again? If so, getting full HP/SP and starting over doesn't really solve my problem of not having enough resources to make it 7 levels + 2 bosses.

I will try hunting for chests as you suggested though, thanks!

Save your SP recovery items for emergencies. They are a scarce resource. Once you've run out of SP, usually that's a sign that it's time to leave the Midnight Channel and go home for the day. You can always return the next day and continue where you left off.

I'd like to, but I have no way to recover SP in a dungeon other than that right? Just in getting to level 7, I have to fight enough enemies to basically completely deplete everyones SP, and 6 soul drops or whatever does not get me out of that emergency.

Trigger

From the sounds of it, you're close to the deadline? I'd just miss it and then when the game rewinds time retry the dungeon.

Sophia

Yeah I knew that about leaving the MC, but then I'm wasting a day (and the next day is Thurs, so I miss Drama practice to get back into the MC before Friday - I'd rather finish it on Wed if possible), and doesn't that force you to start at the beginning of the dungeon again? If so, getting full HP/SP and starting over doesn't really solve my problem of not having enough resources to make it 7 levels + 2 bosses.

I will try hunting for chests as you suggested though, thanks!

No. You will start on the latest floor you cleared, unless you choose otherwise. Despite what any guides may tell you, there is no reason to not leave and recover SP. You're a beginner, so you haven't learned the means of conserving yet. Finishing the dungeon in one day is not actually what the developers intended for players to do, even.

As long as you're not dilly-dallying, you'll have ample amount of time to rescue Yukiko. Yukiko's Castle is only eight floors, and the eighth floor is the boss, so you're actually at the end anyhow. :p

Nymphae

Banned
From the sounds of it, you're close to the deadline? I'd just miss it and then when the game rewinds time retry the dungeon.

Yeah I'm in the MC on Wed, what happens if you wait until Friday? I thought it was game over or something, I assumed it had to be done before the deadline or you were screwed in some way.

Nymphae

Banned
No. You will start on the latest floor you cleared, unless you choose otherwise. Despite what any guides may tell you, there is no reason to not leave and recover SP. You're a beginner, so you haven't learned the means of conserving yet. Finishing the dungeon in one day is not actually what the developers intended for players to do, even.

As long as you're not dilly-dallying, you'll have ample amount of time to rescue Yukiko.

Awesome, I did not realize you could start from the floor you left off on when returning from home, that should really help me out.

I really appreciate the help guys, thanks a ton!

Sophia

Yeah I'm in the MC on Wed, what happens if you wait until Friday? I thought it was game over or something, I assumed it had to be done before the deadline or you were screwed in some way.

If you fail to hit the deadline, Igor will offer you the option of rewinding time back a week. This resets your social links back, but your levels and Personas are kept.

I really recommend not using a guide, because while I have no evidence of it outright, I'm given the implication that the guide in question is giving you awful advice for a beginner....

Nymphae

Banned
If you fail to hit the deadline, Igor will offer you the option of rewinding time back a week. This resets your social links back, but your levels and Personas are kept.

Interesting, that might be worth doing as well. There's so much to this game, it seems really simple at first glance but damn, this is no FF lol.

Sophia

Interesting, that might be worth doing as well. There's so much to this game, it seems really simple at first glance but damn, this is no FF lol.

Keep in mind, this is not a good thing. When you fuse new Persona, if you have the corresponding social link established, you get a bonus of one to seven levels automatically for that Persona. The stronger the social link, the more experience you get.

You should give dungeons priority over social links whenever there's a victim, at least on your first playthrough. You'll always have ample amount of time if they're top priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom