• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikaru

I'd like to, but I have no way to recover SP in a dungeon other than that right? Just in getting to level 7, I have to fight enough enemies to basically completely deplete everyones SP, and 6 soul drops or whatever does not get me out of that emergency.
You can start off on the floor you were last on if you quit for the day. Going home doesn't reset your dungeon progress to floor 1, so don't sweat trying to power through it in one go.

If you are absolutely riding close to the deadline, and don't want to rewind back a week, you can use the SOS feature, though that requires other players be playing, and you can also find SP recovery items in chests. But the chance of success with those solutions is slim. As it stands, though, yeah, if you've run out of SP you'll just have to leave the dungeon to recover. If the guide disagrees, then the guide is wrong. A first timer shouldn't be beating these dungeons in one day, especially not the first dungeon, as you haven't got the full team yet, so you're not familiar enough with the game mechanics to optimise your strategy to get the most out of your SP reserves.

In short, following guides to the letter on your first play seems kind of foolish to me. I'd just use it as a very loose framework about what level you should be in what dungeon, and give you a basic idea of how long you have to beat each dungeon, what fusions you should do and so on. Following it day-by-day on a first run ruins the spontaneity of the game, in my view. I'd write off your losses in this dungeon, go home, recover your SP and take another stab at it in the next day. Do not throw away your SP recovery items on grinding through the dungeon in one day, because you may need them against a boss later in the game and, as you already noticed, they don't recover much...

Wow! That's an awesome sounding concept. What is the rest of the game like?

Well as I said, I'm still working on it, so most of the systems remain incomplete. But in broad strokes, my central plan in designing the game is that it contains both an on- and off-line component. All school time, Social Links, and other non-combat related events take place online, with the GM and players using email/chat/Skype/etc. to play out what they do on each given day of the calendar. In my experience as a player and as a GM, I've found that people tend to be better roleplayers when they have time to think through responses, plan character development, etc. Moving the majority of the social interaction to the web gives the players the time they need, while also fitting to everyone's busy real-life schedules.

When it's time to fight Shadows or whatnot (think Tartarus or the Midnight Channel), that's when the in-person sessions take place (whether monthly, bi-weekly, weekly, whatever). The GM takes the role of the navigator NPC, while the players play their PCs. My exploration system involves using a stack of interconnecting tiles (my prototype uses the ones that come with the D&D Adventure System board games) that are shuffled and played one at a time to randomize the dungeons in a way similar to Personas 3 & 4. There's a starting tile and a stairs tile, and the rest of the tiles are rolled on as they are placed, resulting in different types of Shadows, treasure chests, or nothing at all. Combat is lightly based on GURPS, in that it uses a 3d6 curve (which I prefer to the d20 curve). Both the initiative and Shuffle Time mechanics involve drawing tarot cards from the deck and comparing values.

There's more detail of course, and much more detail for me to still sort out, but that's the basic premise of the system. The hope is that this game could be played with any Persona-like setting-- it doesn't need to be the same as P3 & P4 in order to work.

Nachos

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask for help, but here goes.

I started P4 the other day and have really been enjoying it so far, I just got to Yukiko's Castle and am having some difficulty.

I've (contrary to advice) been following a guide just to get me through the first parts of the game so I feel comfortable, and it feels like I've been doing pretty good so far.

It feels like I don't have enough resources to get through the dungeon. I've got like 6 SP recovering items that recover shit all (10 SP? gimme a break) and don't find many in the dungeon itself. Just getting to the 7th level with enough resources is proving way too difficult, I run out of SP at like the 5th floor.

I made a separate save and tried leaving the dungeon and going home, so I could look for more SP recovering items to buy, but there aren't enough items to buy, and I don't have a ton of money.

Any advice as to what I should do here? I'm kind of at a loss for ideas and after dying 4 or 5 times last night I was seriously considering just quitting here, but I want to get through it dammit.

Yeah, the early game is pretty difficult, for those exact reasons. Since you can no longer go back to the main hub to recover everything like in 3, SP is going to be your most valuable resource. It doesn't help that you're still pretty limited in your skillset and can't use some of the more SP-conserving techniques.
If you haven't already, try relying much more on physical attacks and skills. Even though striking weaknesses does net you extra turns and there aren't any enemies weak to phys, most of the enemies can be dealt with easily, even without going straight for the throat. I just recently got through there on hard mode, and I basically devoted Yosuke's entire SP pool to healing, while using phys skills when I didn't need any patching up. He's a jack off all trades, so he still did solid damage. Chie, since her strength is her strongest asset, barely used her magic at all.

If this is your first time playing P4 or even SMT, don't be afraid to use status effects for regular enemies and especially debuffs for the bosses. They're incredibly useful, unlike in most games, but you'll want to save SP for them, since they're still costly at that point in the game. If I remember correctly, you can find SP items in chests on the first few floors, so assuming you're willing to be a reset fiend, going through each floor multiple times, you can find some items eventually.

In the end, though, don't be afraid to duck out if things are proving too hard to get around, or worse yet, just not fun. Personally I just play the game like I would real life, so I just roll with the punches if I miss an opportunity or mess up and turn the perfectionist part of my brain off. Do you want to play the game or essentially be at the mercy of a guide you might as well treat as gospel for tens of hours, all in the name of "efficiency?" That's something you'll have to answer for yourself, but I do remember P4 being more lenient, though, so even if you do duck out, there should be a way to make up for lost time somewhere down the line.

Sophia

Nymphae, I have a curious question. How did you not know that you could retry from the floor you started on? Surely you backed out to the Midnight Channel lobby to go the Velvet Room at least once? You would have seen the continue prompt then.....

I'm curious because if you haven't been to the Velvet Room at all, you're going to be in for world of pain fighting Shadow Yukiko.

Nymphae

Banned
Nymphae, I have a curious question. How did you not know that you could retry from the floor you started on? Surely you backed out to the Midnight Channel lobby to go the Velvet Room at least once? You would have seen the continue prompt then.....

I'm curious because if you haven't been to the Velvet Room at all, you're going to be in for world of pain fighting Shadow Yukiko.

I don't know lol, the game tells you you can leave the dungeon and save at the MC entrance, and then go back into the floor you left off on, but I must have missed being told that you can do the same thing when leaving to go home, for some reason I was under the impression that going home would make you start from level 1 when you returned.

And I've been into the Velvet room on a few occasions, but only when the game took me there. I did one social event thing with Marie, but I haven't went in of my own accord to fuse personas or anything yet, it didn't seem like I needed to yet and I'm not sure exactly what to do with fusing anyway so I was waiting for the game to kind of walk me through a few fuses like it seems to do with nearly every other aspect of the game.

Sophia

I don't know lol, the game tells you you can leave the dungeon and save at the MC entrance, and then go back into the floor you left off on, but I must have missed being told that you can do the same thing when leaving to go home, for some reason I was under the impression that going home would make you start from level 1 when you returned.

And I've been into the Velvet room on a few occasions, but only when the game took me there. I did one social event thing with Marie, but I haven't went in of my own accord to fuse personas or anything yet, it didn't seem like I needed to yet and I'm not sure exactly what to do with fusing anyway so I was waiting for the game to kind of walk me through a few fuses like it seems to do with nearly every other aspect of the game.

Fusing is easy, and you should do it as much as possible. You can easily get any Persona back through shuffle time, so you're encouraged to go crazy with it. Just toss things in, and if you like the results, fuse it.

Some good early Personas are Senri (Level 9, blocks fire attacks and has Media) and Lilim (Level 10, extremely high magic stat, and can inherit all four elemental attacks from the Personas you use to fuse it.)

PK Gaming

I mean, that's definitely Atlus' shtick, but I also think that's Yuri Lowenthall's fault more than anything else. =P
I'd rather cast the blame on poor voice directing as a whole, instead of on a particular actor. Like in the example that Sophia brought up, casting a person with a distinct voice like Karen Strassmen to play the voice of that student speaker was a bad idea. Unfortunately, P3 has more than its fair share of miscasts; Casting Mona Marshall's as Ken (and Chidori to a lesser extent) was a really bad idea. The ENG version of Ken doesn't convey the same sense of politeness that the japanese version, and he sounds too gruff.

P4 handled it a lot better by getting actors with good voice ranges to play the NPCs. Yuri Lowenthal, Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, Sam Riegal and JYB pop up a few times, but for the most part, the core cast rarely dips into NPC territory (and they mostly do a good job at masking their voice) I feel like Troy Baker stands out among the other actors, since his NPC voices are almost indistinguishable. It took me a second playthrough to catch most of them.

Sophia

It is worth pointing out that P3's budget regarding actors was probably significantly smaller. They couldn't afford to be picky with what they had I bet.

Karen herself is a women of a thousand voices, so they probably had her do the NPC early on then had her do Aigis. Not realizing that the two spoke one after another until it was already recorded. She does several other NPCs, and many of the main characters also voice several NPCs in the game.

"And maybe some big announcement in the program?"
oooo, haven't heard about this! And yeah, they're teasing something on the page.
at the 18th, 7AM EST/4AM PST to boot.

7 am huh, I might just check that out then. If I woke up in time for the P5 stream I could work one hour later for new Arena goodness.

I honestly suggest to play more freely, don't follow a guide and do what you think is the best thing to do (but fuse personas, that's a good thing to do). I went in P4G blind and really enjoyed it, you don't have to rush anything, especially during the first playthrough (there will be time for that on the 2nd or 3rd)
The game is not particularly hard, you just have to be a bit careful. And as the other have said, you don't need to finish the dungeon in one day, during my first playthrough I took 2 or 3 days each :D

Nymphae

Banned
I honestly suggest to play more freely, don't follow a guide and do what you think is the best thing to do (but fuse personas, that's a good thing to do). I went in P4G blind and really enjoyed it, you don't have to rush anything, especially during the first playthrough (there will be time for that on the 2nd or 3rd)
The game is not particularly hard, you just have to be a bit careful. And as the other have said, you don't need to finish the dungeon in one day, during my first playthrough I took 2 or 3 days each :D

Yeah I think I'm going to take that advice, it sucks some of the enjoyment out of it when you follow a guide to the letter anyway. I've just never really played a game in this series and wanted to get off on a good foot, the perfectionist in me wants to do everything right the first time but I should probably just, you know, have fun :p

Acid08

Banned
Which PS2 classic should I get? Odin Sphere, Shinobi or Mark of kri?
Hmmmmmm that's tough actually, each of those games have pretty hefty strengths and weaknesses.

Shinobi is hard as balls, Odin Sphere is gorgeous but shallow, and Mark of Kri is interesting but dated.

I'd go with Shinobi or Odin Sphere.

Necrovex

How's PersonaGAF today?

Pretty damn good. I had my Peace Corps interview today, and I nailed it! I was promoted to the next stage of the application process. The hardest part is now over, and now I play the waiting game as I find out locations and jobs that I can participate in. This isn't a guarantee that I am in, but this is a strong indication that I will be working for the Peace Corps before September 2014.

Acid08

Banned
How's PersonaGAF today?
Pretty good! Found out today that I'll be able to volunteer at a free clinic in Berkeley starting Monday. Hoping it'll give me some connections, experience an, eventually, healthcare job.

Otherwise I'm feeling a hole in my heart after finishing P4G. It happens whenever I finish a Persona game, they're such big commitments and I get really attached to all the characters. Contemplating starting P2:IS tonight.

Pretty damn good. I had my Peace Corps interview today, and I nailed it! I was promoted to the next stage of the application process. The hardest part is now over, and now I play the waiting game as I find out locations and jobs that I can participate in. This isn't a guarantee that I am in, but this is a strong indication that I will be working for the Peace Corps before September 2014.
Congrats! Hope everything works out for you, the Peace Corps does good work.

How's PersonaGAF today?

Just starting up the yearly tradition of watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Jingle All the Way in december, Vacation right now, Ahnold's Christmas probably next week. All good on this end

Also I watched the Pop Fiction episode, I feel kinda dumb for never hearing about the subject matter before that lol

Gazoinks

Awesome, congrats!

How's PersonaGAF today?

Pretty great. My friend just bought a whole crapload of Matt Damon movies (Good Will Hunting, the Bourne Trilogy, Contagion, The Departed and Ocean's 11) at a store that's going out of business, so we'll be having a marathon tonight. I got all of my Christmas shopping done today too, so that's a load off my back :)

Necrovex

Pretty good! Found out today that I'll be able to volunteer at a free clinic in Berkeley starting Monday. Hoping it'll give me some connections, experience an, eventually, healthcare job.

Otherwise I'm feeling a hole in my heart after finishing P4G. It happens whenever I finish a Persona game, they're such big commitments and I get really attached to all the characters. Contemplating starting P2:IS tonight.

Congrats! Hope everything works out for you, the Peace Corps does good work.

Congrats on being able to volunteer; I hope this can leads to a fruitful career. I am aiming to get a volunteer gig at a local HIV/AID awareness center. I should hopefully hear back sometime next week as the school semester is over.

I'm actually hoping that I can do a health-care related job while in Peace Corps. I have hospital experience, so the recruiter thinks she may be able to flag me as qualified to handle that type of job. If not, no worries, since I want to apply to the Department of State after my service time is over

Awesome, congrats!

Thanks! I am going to relax this weekend and celebrate the news. Drink at my local hipster cafe while reading Rubicon, watch the final Madoka film tonight (and rage), Disney Quest tomorrow, and Hobbit on Sunday. I'll get back to my routine on Monday.

Levito

Banned

Wow that's quite an undertaking, congrats! Hope the rest of the process goes well. :)

I slept really late, I'm going to go eat breakfast and then procrastinate on math homework. >.>

Get to work on that homework and get it out of the way!

Good luck at the clinic. Experience is something most employers value quite a bit. :)

Just starting up the yearly tradition of watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Jingle All the Way in december, Vacation right now, Ahnold's Christmas probably next week. All good on this end

You should watch the best Christmas movies: Die Hard and End Of Days.

End Of Days is the movie where Arnold calls Satan a "Choir boy".

I'm bored at work, wearing an itchy sweater, and have to go to my job's Christmas party tonight. All and all, not bad.

That's good to hear!

I'm feeling lots better, thanks for asking :)

In other news, it appears that Beyonce's arcana is The Universe because there is literally no other explanation of how she was capable of pulling all this off.

That's good to hear you're feeling better man!

Man I have no idea what's going on with Beyonce, so outta touch with things like that.

passed my exam.

A fitting end for an exam at the hands of The Destroyer.

Pretty great. My friend just bought a whole crapload of Matt Damon movies (Good Will Hunting, the Bourne Trilogy, Contagion, The Departed and Ocean's 11) at a store that's going out of business, so we'll be having a marathon tonight. I got all of my Christmas shopping done today too, so that's a load off my back :)

Matt Damon is pretty awesome, Good Will Hunting is still is his movie IMO.

....?

*glass shatter sound*

*choir music*

I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I come...

You've increased your social link with PersonaGAF, you can now create even stronger Personas of the Fool Arcana!

..You feel the relationship will soon become intimate

Gazoinks

Get to work on that homework and get it out of the way!

Noooo stop giving me good advice Levito. :p

....?

*glass shatter sound*

*choir music*

You've increased your social link with PersonaGAF, you can now create even stronger Personas of the Fool Arcana!

Yes! Totally fusing a Black Frost now.

Man I have no idea what's going on with Beyonce, so outta touch with things like that.

She dropped a surprise new album this morning - 14 songs and 17 videos - which apparently she found the time do this year between raising her babby and singing at the US presidential inauguration and performing at the superbowl halftime show and going on a world tour with 100+ shows.

(It's also impressive that there were no leaks either. Neither real leaks or "Teehee I guess a track from my new album leaked oh well!" marketing leaks)

Nachos

I'd rather cast the blame on poor voice directing as a whole, instead of on a particular actor. Like in the example that Sophia brought up, casting a person with a distinct voice like Karen Strassmen to play the voice of that student speaker was a bad idea. Unfortunately, P3 has more than its fair share of miscasts; Casting Mona Marshall's as Ken (and Chidori to a lesser extent) was a really bad idea. The ENG version of Ken doesn't convey the same sense of politeness that the japanese version, and he sounds too gruff.

P4 handled it a lot better by getting actors with good voice ranges to play the NPCs. Yuri Lowenthal, Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, Sam Riegal and JYB pop up a few times, but for the most part, the core cast rarely dips into NPC territory (and they mostly do a good job at masking their voice) I feel like Troy Baker stands out among the other actors, since his NPC voices are almost indistinguishable. It took me a second playthrough to catch most of them.

Oh absolutely. I was just saying that from all the roles he's played, it's really obvious that it's him, even as he changes the pitch. Still, like you all have said, it might just be the distinctiveness of his voice that sort of renders his alterations kinda moot, no matter how good they are.

How's PersonaGAF today?
I just finished my only final I'm taking this semester at community college, so I'm taking the time to brush up on my web design skills, as well as trying to learn Bender, in between Miiverse sketches.

Hopefully, things will be a bit more eventful in a week or so. Some matters forced me to choose between family and education earlier this year, making me lose my scholarship at my normal university. I know some people, though, so I might have a shot at getting a really solid government job. I just turned 20, but I should be able to save up the ~40,000 for the remaining two years of school in two years or less, on top of having a nice bit change on the side. There's not much point in complaining about what happened, but boy, does it feel good to start taking charge of your life.

Anyway, what about you, Levito? I'm surprised no one's asked about what you're up to.

FireSol

AC4 is decent. I'm not in love with it, but it's not bad.

When I got Black Frost in OG P4, I kept him for the whole game. God-tier Persona.

this is my first AC game, decide to get it after some stream, the main reason was sea battles

Black Frost???? i missed him

Levito

Banned
tiiiired!! finally got AC4 for ps4 only at the beginng bot like it so far

Cool! I bought it a couple weeks ago, but I didn't care for it too much. Not really a Assasin's Creed person.

Recovering from the company christmas party which was unfortunately placed on a thursday.

Also, on the edge about getting a vita, but I missed all the sales.

Aww bummer on missing the Vita sale. :(

I just finished my only final I'm taking this semester at community college, so I'm taking the time to brush up on my web design skills, as well as trying to learn Bender, in between Miiverse sketches.

Hopefully, things will be a bit more eventful in a week or so. Some matters forced me to choose between family and education earlier this year, making me lose my scholarship at my normal university. I know some people, though, so I might have a shot at getting a really solid government job. I just turned 20, but I should be able to save up the ~40,000 for the remaining two years of school in two years or less, on top of having a nice bit change on the side. There's not much point in complaining about what happened, but boy, does it feel good to start taking charge of your life.

Good luck with all the financial stuff man, post secondary nickle and dime you non-stop.

Anyway, what about you, Levito? I'm surprised no one's asked about what you're up to.

Currently I'm nursing a back injury and have been for the past month or so. Somehow hurt it while doing lanes at the pool. Have got 2 massages and it's been helping, but it's still sore. Sitting in an once chair all day doesn't help, every couple hours I need to do 5 mins worth of stretching in my office just to get through the day. It's getting tiresome.

Besides that, pretty excited about doing the podcast with Lordknight and Dacidbro tonight.

How's PersonaGAF today?

This week has been all about giving and taking. On the one hand, I got painful cortisone shots on Monday, and my dog died yesterday evening. On the other hand, I just found out that I'm most likely getting a promotion at work, and I'm pretty pleased with the title card for S.Link FM's 22nd episode.

Still don't think I broke even, but what can you do.

....?

*glass shatter sound*

*choir music*

Almost choked on my lunch-- lol, damn you Levito! :p

You should watch the best Christmas movies: Die Hard and End Of Days.

End Of Days is the movie where Arnold calls Satan a "Choir boy".

Ah yes, Die Hard's a great one. Haven't seen End of Days though, I'll definitely check it out if Netflix has it on streaming (which knowing my luck and looking for movies there, it probably won't lol)

Acid08

Banned
When I got Black Frost in OG P4, I kept him for the whole game. God-tier Persona.
Hell yeah! Trumpeter and Black Frost were my combo until I got Beelzebub. Black Frost Mind Charge->Trumpeter Megidoloan all day. Plus the Chakra Ring to halve the SP cost. Shadows couldn't even handle me.

Necrovex

Wow that's quite an undertaking, congrats! Hope the rest of the process goes well. :)

The possibility of finally doing something after completing college is such an exciting thought. Working a warehouse job can be draining to one's life. :-(

Currently I'm nursing a back injury and have been for the past month or so. Somehow hurt it while doing lanes at the pool. Have got 2 massages and it's been helping, but it's still sore. Sitting in an once chair all day doesn't help, every couple hours I need to do 5 mins worth of stretching in my office just to get through the day. It's getting tiresome.

The best thing about my old modeling job was getting random massages from my boss. They always felt so bloody good. Though I am quite ticklish, so I couldn't handle some of the spots he massaged.

Edit: I also finished the rough draft for my Secret Santa letter. I am going to send my Tiny Tim his goodies on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom