• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikaru

Not that I ever was worried about the music in Persona Q, but now I know that the trailer music wasn't a fluke and I don't have to be concerned. Sounds brilliant!

Not going to post everything I got, but this was the best stuff:

BcWgCpVCQAAUljR.jpg

Also EMT got me Remember Me on Steam AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH <3
P4A artbook? Cards Against Humanity? Looks like a good haul to me
At least someone remembered her.
*rimshot*
I managed to clear the 7th Chapter in Valkyria Chronicles on my first try

kay-nose(b).gif
I hope that tip helped you out, I still gotta wait for my friend to finish it before I get my copy back to try it out myself

Lunar15

I managed to clear the 7th Chapter in Valkyria Chronicles on my first try

kay-nose(b).gif

@pan-hime: Thanks a million! I gotta find that video games image, its my favorite one haha.

Chapter 7 is pretty easy once you finally figure out how to really use base redeployment. Makes the game a little too easy sometimes, if you ask me.

Pirabear

Banned
Forgot to post my relevant Christmas haul:

BLG4iWt.jpg

The shirt was from my girlfriend's friend, bought the rest for myself on Christmas day in Kinokuniya since I'm visiting NYC.

PK Gaming

I hope that tip helped you out, I still gotta wait for my friend to finish it before I get my copy back to try it out myself
It did! I used the Edelweiss as a roadblock and had my units move behind it, though she quickly started running around it and actually ended up gunning down a few of my units (luckily I had an engineer tend to the wounded). If hadn't spent time individually weakening the heat sinks so I could one shot the last one, I probably would have been annihilated. My MVP was Rosie, who basically took Selveria's cavalry on her own. Shocktroopers own.
Chapter 7 is pretty easy once you finally figure out how to really use base redeployment. Makes the game a little too easy sometimes, if you ask me.
Yeah it really does make a huge difference. I had issues earlier on with moving my army, but only deploying a few units at the beginning, and then deploying the rest at a later time makes a huge difference. Reinforcement always end up saving my skin too, haha. Also, the retreat order I got early on was also pretty useful. I can I have a unit do their business, and move them out of the field in one swift motion.

tumblr_myctk7Q0c21sh1yawo1_500.jpg

Poor Yosuke, lol.

Hmm, makes me think of that time Tim Schafer worked out the characterisation of half his cast for Psychonauts by making them friendster accounts. (This was back in 2005, I believe)

He deserves it for that screen name and taking in of those kinda of pics

Dantis

Can you elaborate?

I can indeed.

I suppose I should start by saying that, to me, the most interesting stuff in the actual plot is the symbolic and thematic stuff. The literal events are often silly and very videogamey, but they often 'mean' a lot more than what they seem if you were to take them at face value.

So, Persona 3's ending (Mega spoilers if you haven't played P3!)
basically has this moment where it becomes apparent that basically, you're fucked, everyone is going to die. The protagonist is then given an opportunity to save everyone, in the process sacrificing himself, by casting a spell (Or whatever you want to call it) called The Great Seal.

Time passes, and the school year comes to an end. The protagonist says goodbye to all his friends, and progressively gets weaker, finally going to sleep on the roof of the school, just as the members of SEES remember what happened over the last year. He dies on a sunny day with a smile on his face, surrounded by is friends, and having said goodbye to everyone he cares about. It was a wonderful ending.

Cut to The Answer (More spoilers, wheee!)

Suddenly, his death wasn't wonderful or bittersweet. He's TRAPPED! In ETERNAL UNLIFE! He's a human door in the shape of Jesus! A messiah! And SEES misses him, because they all loved him so much! Oh, the tragedy!

The less obnoxious version of this is that it's basically Arena-esque fan service. Most of SEES barely even knew the protagonist so the fact that they consider rolling back time just to see him again is bizarre. And when it said "Great Seal", I doubt anybody thought "Oh, I guess this means that he's literally turning into a giant fucking door". In The Answer, they did that wonderful videogame thing where fans say "Wow, I wonder what happened here?" and so the developers replied "Don't worry, we have you covered!" and just wrote this nonsensical drivel that doesn't mesh at all with what was conveyed through The Journey's ending. It's like, was he a door before or after saying goodbye to everyone? If he's suffering so badly, why is he smiling? Was the positive note that Persona 3 ended on a misdirect? Because if it was, it really worked.

And then the explanation for Erebus is just retcon all the way. Fuuka (I think) literally has a line where she talks about how "This isn't what we thought it was in the last game, it's actually this". And then we get some really bad exposition with more videogame drivel about the hatred in people's hearts and it's just bleeeeh.

SHORT VERSION: Ambiguity is good. Not everything needs to be explained. We know from interviews why Evokers look like guns. The Answer's in-universe explanation is not needed.

Also the Persona Team are shit at continuing stories from past work.

But hey, that last fight was pretty badass, huh? So that's something.

SHORT VERSION: Ambiguity is good. Not everything needs to be explained. We know from interviews why Evokers look like guns. The Answer's in-universe explanation is not needed.

Also the Persona Team are shit at continuing stories from past work.

But hey, that last fight was pretty badass, huh? So that's something.
I agree, I thought the ending of 3 was better than what they did in The Answer. Big P3 Spoilers!
He willingly sacrificed himself to save his friends and then kept living till the last day of school, iirc because he made a promise about it. They then discover that he was still "alive" in the Answer but it seemed more like it was something they decided to add later, not like it was their original idea.

Dantis

I tried it by didn't like it that much. I started Story Mode but it didn't seem interesting to me, so I deleted it for now, maybe one day I'll give it another try

The story mode is mega garbage if you take it seriously, haha.

I genuinely thought that it was a parody when I played through the first game.

I think it was already on the NA plus a few months back, so most of us Vita owners with plus should have it.

It's weird how EU Plus is suddenly playing catchup to US.

Squire

Banned
I think it was already on the NA plus a few months back, so most of us Vita owners with plus should have it.

I got it then and I'm pretty sure I moaned about it in one of the previous community threads.

Great mechanics; The presentation is all-fucking-over the place.

Speaking of fighters though, I got KOFXIII from the Steam sale yesterday (got lucky and nabbed it hours before Steam took a shit. [thanks L4D2, which I also nabbed]).

That game is fucking awesome. Love the mechanics and the art. The first thing I did was turn off the music, so I actually have no comment on that either way, but I'm on PC, so there's no reason not to listen to my own music anyway.

Dantis

I got it then and I'm pretty sure I moaned about it in one of the previous community threads.

Great mechanics; The presentation is all-fucking-over the place.

Speaking of fighters though, I got KOFXIII from the Steam sale yesterday (got lucky and nabbed it hours before Steam took a shit. [thanks L4D2, which I also nabbed]).

That game is fucking awesome. Love the mechanics and the art. The first thing I did was turn off the music, so I actually have no comment on that either way, but I'm on PC, so there's no reason not to listen to my own music anyway.

Mildly related: KoF is Soejima's favourite fighter.

Blazblue's presentation is no less consistent than dear old Arena's.

Swedesu

So Blazblue is on Vita Plus this month. Anyone here got it?
I think it's fantastic and it's probably the fighting game that seriously got me into the genre. The story is fine if you don't take it seriously and some of the gag endings are absolutely hilarious (Jin's and Makoto's to name a few).
The game seems to be aware of how ridiculous it is and pokes fun at itself multiple times.

Play it if you haven't, it's great fun.

cj_iwakura

The fact that it has all kinds of novels and hours of backstory should've quickly dispelled you of that notion. It isn't Shakespeare, but I enjoy it. Terumi is a Grade-A Bastard.

The fact that it has all kinds of novels and hours of backstory should've quickly dispelled you of that notion. It isn't Shakespeare, but I enjoy it. Terumi is a Grade-A Bastard.

Agreed, I actually play it for that, I don't touch the online. I own the vita one btw, bought it a long time ago.

Necrovex

I quite enjoy the game's story. It's no high-class art, but for its complete insanity, I have a special place for it alongside Kingdom Hearts and MGS4.

kewlmyc

I actually only play BB for the story and characters which I love. It's like defried twinkies. SUPER bad for you and terrible, but you still enjoy it.

kiriin

Just finished Innocent Sin
Feel like thanking Philemon would probably one the last thing I would think of in Tatsuya's case. I chose it anyways :/
. It surprising how well written the characters and dialogue are, definitely holds up to its age.

Just finished Innocent Sin
Feel like thanking Philemon would prSin.bly one the last thing I want to think of in Tatsuya's case. I chose it anyways :/
. It surprising how well written the characters and dialogue are, definitely holds up to its age.

Now ya gotta play the sequel!

Was waiting for the EP psp remake that never going come. Guess I can play the original psone.

It is mostly fine, but characters that were in P1 and show up in P2 IS and EP go by their Revelations Persona names, so look out for:

Kei = Nate
Eriko = Ellen
Maki = Mary
Reiji = Chris
Yukino = Yuki
Hidehiko = Brad
Principle Hannya = Prinicple Harding
Saeko Takami = Saeko Smith
Mikage-Cho = Lunarville
Tamaki Uchida = Tammy
Satomi Tadashi = Tad
Toro = Chunky

oh and a general change, which I like better than the PSP one

The Masked Circle = The Masquerade

I may have missed a few

Nachos

It's like defried twinkies. SUPER bad for you and terrible, but you still enjoy it.

Defried twinkies? I don't even want to know what arcane magic you'd need to do that.

Holy crap that Shadow Teddie doll is terrifying. :D Good voice!
Oh, thanks! The recording quality got a bit messed up when I uploaded it to Vocaroo and was a bit too quiet in general, but I figured out how to recreate the shadow "filter" for when those parts pop up for Scrafty's project.
---
Also, Levito, I wanted to learn how to use the Bezier tool in gimp, so for "fun," I decided to recreate the back of the Persona tarot cards in monochrome as a challenge.

When I was done, I was gonna just toss it, but then I wondered if I could do anything for S.Link with it and came up with this:

I'm not sure how attached you are to the current logo, but you're free to use that or the tarot design if you're interested. It's no skin off my back if you're not, because like I said, I was probably just going to delete them anyway, though they both need their own sets of tweaks. (The outermost outline for the cards is so thin it all looks like clip art.)

Although, come to think of it, what is the logo, anyway? I actually like it, but I have no idea what it's supposed to be.

Squire

Banned
I actually only play BB for the story and characters which I love. It's like defried twinkies. SUPER bad for you and terrible, but you still enjoy it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems CJ is of the opinion the story is good.

I need to try the story mode in KOF.

Kazzy

I have never had a problem with people liking the Blazblue fiction, I just take offence at people telling me that it's genuinely good.

It's quite alright to enjoy something despite it being schlocky and rote, so don't claim that it's something else entirely .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom