• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to give Persona 2 a shot with Innocent Sin (PSP remake). I'm really liking it so far but god damn it these random battle encounters. Hate them. But almost every RPG did that back in the day, so can't blame 'em I guess.

I decided to give Persona 2 a shot with Innocent Sin (PSP remake). I'm really liking it so far but god damn it these random battle encounters. Hate them. But almost every RPG did that back in the day, so can't blame 'em I guess.
Yeah the rate of random encounters seem very high compared to Eternal Punishment. And I mean Very high! Try to keep a persona with Estoma so you don't tear your hair out from having to battle every 2-5 steps.

Nachos

Not the way I play

And not all social links end up happy.
Akinari ends up fading into the sun at the end of his

But honestly I could see the idea working for a social link if they make it fit the theme.

I'm just saying that particularly for max s. Link runs, that's exactly what people do, which is funny, because they just vindicated the really, truly cynical people out there who view all relationships as being poisonous. It's the kind of really, really, REALLY embittered people who view social relationships as being signs of obfuscated selfishness - they think people don't become friends or more unless it addresses their basest biological functions: eating, sleeping and procreating. They'd be the types to just laugh their asses off because a game about friendship allows you to view characters as a bunch of numbers for you to leech from, allowing you to dehumanize them and make them disposable, to boot.

Needless to say, these people can be very, very scary.

You should hear his voice

Smugger than smuggest voice you've ever had the misfortune of hearing
Liam O'Brien nailed it.
After dark with PersonaGaf.

I have a dirty mind. -_-
As someone who's listened to his podcast, I'd say he does, too.
Well, Sam Riegel does, at least.

Also, happy new year, everyone! Be sure not to get too smashed tonight!

Meia

I'm just saying that particularly for max s. Link runs, that's exactly what people do, which is funny, because they just vindicated the really, truly cynical people out there who view all relationships as being poisonous. It's the kind of really, really, REALLY embittered people who view social relationships as being signs of obfuscated selfishness - they think people don't become friends or more unless it addresses their basest biological functions: eating, sleeping and procreating. They'd be the types to just laugh their asses off because a game about friendship allows you to view characters as a bunch of numbers for you to leech from, allowing you to dehumanize them and make them disposable, to boot.

Or, you could be someone like me, and only does max social link runs because they feel really *really* badly about leaving something unfinished. It's the catch about having characters in a game have real problems they have to work through: You can wind up feeling bad for "failing" them. First time playing through P3 Fes, I almost debated restarting the entire thing when I thought in the last month I wouldn't have been able to finish off Aigis's link, but pulled it off on the literal last free day anyway.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with the idea of a link finishing and something happening to them anyway. That's life, after all. And it's not like this hasn't happened in one of the games already...

Nachos

Or, you could be someone like me, and only does max social link runs because they feel really *really* badly about leaving something unfinished. It's the catch about having characters in a game have real problems they have to work through: You can wind up feeling bad for "failing" them. First time playing through P3 Fes, I almost debated restarting the entire thing when I thought in the last month I wouldn't have been able to finish off Aigis's link, but pulled it off on the literal last free day anyway.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with the idea of a link finishing and something happening to them anyway. That's life, after all. And it's not like this hasn't happened in one of the games already...

Oh yeah, I totally should've mentioned that, too. For the people already invested, it can feel really rewarding to be that force of change, that thing that actually could instigate and spread a ton of positivity and happiness. And it's not like I'm saying that most of the people playing for those runs are remotely line that - it's definitely a minority of a minority of a minority. Still, I finished Nanako's link early, leaving me with a lot of time where there were often other more advantageous things to do from a game standpoint, from an objective view. Were it remotely like real life, though, all of those objective gains wouldn't have mattered, simply because I'm not a machine geared for efficiency okay with neglecting a little girl in an already neglectful household, for a few nebulous "points."

Still, I guess that's more a problem with the current system, more than anything else. I still think there's a chance they've scrapped the s. Link system altogether, but if they're still sticking with it, I hope they've revised it to address some of these issues.

Caladrius

Nice work, TrueSelf.

I wish there was an Idol fighting game starring Rise where she beats down the pretenders to the throne in her quest to become Japan's idol princess.

The problem with the psp version of Innocent Sin, they raised the encounter rate for no reason, and to compensate, they made battles so easy it's literally almost impossible to die for a chunk of the game, you will be taking 1/2 damage for a while.. Absolutely terrible rebalancing and as time goes on, I sour more and more towards the psp version of IS. Eternal Punishment Has less encounters and far more threatening enemies. It is a grand shame the psp version of that was never localized cuz unlike IS psp, EP psp is actually by far the better version with new content that's actually worthwhile and way better balancing than IS psp.

Acid08

Banned

Hashino actually kind of addressed this in the interview in the P3 Design Works. He said something like he wasn't upset that the max slink run couldn't be done normally because he wants people to focus on the slinks they like and feel some kind of attachment to the characters.

He also said that it's valid to view each slink just as a means for more power and that people irl do similar things just to build connections so that they can move forward in life. I know I did that with some slinks, I only finished Naoto so that I could get the ultimate Fortune persona. I only finished Kenji's(barf) in P3 for the ultimate Magician.

Dantis

Happy New year you jerks!

Larger post when I get home

It's not the new year here yet. Is it 2014 already over there?

Seeing as I have nothing to do on new year's because my friends are all terrible, I might draw something Persona-y tonight.

The new year's event in P4G is the one with the kimonos, right?

Meia

It's not the new year here yet. Is it 2014 already over there?

Seeing as I have nothing to do on new year's because my friends are all terrible, I might draw something Persona-y tonight.

The new year's event in P4G is the one with the kimonos, right?

Depends. You have new year's eve where they all countdown together, then you have new years where you can meet your girlfriend in the shrine in a kimono that's different than the summer ones.

You're amazing, man! Can you do Yukiko next? I wish you were doing the P5 OT.

Here you go, Ron!

yukiko_amagi___persona_4_vita_wallpaper_by_darkside989-d706ciz.jpg

Dantis

Depends. You have new year's eve where they all countdown together, then you have new years where you can meet your girlfriend in the shrine in a kimono that's different than the summer ones.

The countdown? I actually don't remember that.

EDIT: Wait, is that the fireworks thing?

Meia

The countdown? I actually don't remember that.

EDIT: Wait, is that the fireworks thing?

No, there was a new scene at the shrine with Teddie getting the guy's hopes up about all the girls wearing kimonos again(and them being summarily disappointed that they didn't), and then a new animated scene with all of them counting down to the new year.

EMT0

Banned
The art on this is hilarious. Why is the latest post Aigis posing in a maid outfit though? I don't get it.

Holy shit Aigis' face.

Amazing.

You'd have to read it from the bottom up, kind of like Twitter to get it. It took me a while too.

PK Gaming

(happy sigh)

Persona comics in general just bring a smile to my face. They're my jam.

That artist in particular is super funny. She had a stream where she was drawing a comic in real time, she kept getting distracted by the stream chatters, haha.

tumblr_inline_mugy5dvdEP1qaeht3.jpg

Acid08

Banned
(happy sigh)

Persona comics in general just bring a smile to my face. They're my jam.

That author in particular is funny. She had a stream where she was drawing a comic in real time, she kept getting distracted by the stream chatters, haha.

tumblr_inline_mugy5dvdEP1qaeht3.jpg
That Minato portrait hahahahaha

Lunar15

Alright Persona/VitaGAF, I joined the club over the holiday and now I need some choice vita wallpapers, preferably persona themed. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, the Vita is real nice, really digging it. I'm glad I was finally able to find it and a memory card for a steal.

Alright Persona/VitaGAF, I joined the club over the holiday and now I need some choice vita wallpapers, preferably persona themed. Anyone have any suggestions?

If there's nothing in here that interests you, you can always make a request! I'll also be posting several more Vita wallpapers in here over the next few days, so there's that too.

Acid08

Banned

Also, the Vita is real nice, really digging it. I'm glad I was finally able to find it and a memory card for a steal.
The Vita is a great piece of hardware and I wish the memory cards weren't a total ripoff.

Also nice that you can play every Persona game on there.

Lunar15

The Vita is a great piece of hardware and I wish the memory cards weren't a total ripoff.

Also nice that you can play every Persona game on there.

I plan to give P2:IS a shot. Not a fan of old school RPG's with random battles, but usually games with solid characters keep me hooked. We'll see how it turns out.

Coincidentally, I don't have P4G yet. I'm not a huge fan of diving into remakes/ports of games I've already played, but I'll still check it out eventually. I just blew through Tearaway and Gravity Rush, which were both great but short. Right now I'm deep into Ys Celceta and enjoying it quite a bit. After that though, I'm going straight into Digital Devil Saga, which I also picked up over the holiday. It's just about damn time.

Nachos

Hashino actually kind of addressed this in the interview in the P3 Design Works. He said something like he wasn't upset that the max slink run couldn't be done normally because he wants people to focus on the slinks they like and feel some kind of attachment to the characters.

He also said that it's valid to view each slink just as a means for more power and that people irl do similar things just to build connections so that they can move forward in life. I know I did that with some slinks, I only finished Naoto so that I could get the ultimate Fortune persona. I only finished Kenji's(barf) in P3 for the ultimate Magician.

I really need to get my hands on those books.

Still, I don't know how to feel about that. On one hand, it is kinda cool that they realized it yet didn't restructure everything. On the other, that's exactly the behavior that I'm really against. There is only so much time in the day, meaning that in the end, you do need to choose how you prioritize things. I believe that despite any impressions otherwise, almost all people have some likeable traits and, likewise, can connect with just about anyone. Still, most people simply don't have the time to make all those characteristics surface, so it's understandable that they'd gravitate more towards the people they hit it off with right off the bat. I think it'd be cool (though obviously a bit impractical) to have multiple options for each arcana (because fuck Kenji). They did it with the clubs, so I'd be interested in seeing that extended to all the non-party links (and possibly even some of them, Persona 1-2 style).

I'm curious, though. Did they ever mention anything about being forced to date all the girls in 3? They obviously thought that was an issue, since they changed it in 4.

Shit, way to leave out everyone else in the dorm, girls.

I plan to give P2:IS a shot. Not a fan of old school RPG's with random battles, but usually games with solid characters keep me hooked. We'll see how it turns out.

Coincidentally, I don't have P4G yet. I'm not a huge fan of diving into remakes/ports of games I've already played, but I'll still check it out eventually. I just blew through Tearaway and Gravity Rush, which were both great but short. Right now I'm deep into Ys Celceta and enjoying it quite a bit. After that though, I'm going straight into Digital Devil Saga, which I also picked up over the holiday. It's just about damn time.

Yeah, you should give P2:IS a shot, because it was enjoyable game even if it was dated in some aspects in terms of the gameplay.
The characters were just a blast to listen to and all of the party members do have interesting backstories that made them a lot more memorable in my opinion. But that's me.

Did you just buy Digital Devil Saga or did you buy the sequel also, just asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom