• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys, this was going to be a surprise but I've got big news. The Podcast is now officially sponsored by a number of big names like Crunchyroll, IGN, and even Atlus. Which means they'll pay for everyone's expenses to EVO.

Also, here's a sample of the new format of the show. I think it's--*holds up frosted flakes* Grrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaat!

Haha he's taking out a bunch of us to some insanely nice restaurant. (paying for it too)

Don't quote me on that, though.

Lol

Good Guy Armada! Sad I couldn't hang with you guys last year, it was a trip with my dad mostly. This year though I'll make sure to meet up with you guys!

Also Levito, if you guys do a pre-Evo podcast let me know if you want me on to talk about any of the Capcom games or anything!

OK guys, this was going to be a surprise but I've got big news. The Podcast is now officially sponsored by a number of big names like Crunchyroll, IGN, and even Atlus. Which means they'll pay for everyone's expenses to EVO.

Also, here's a sample of the new format of the show. I think it's--*holds up frosted flakes* Grrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaat!

Haha he's taking out a bunch of us to some insanely nice restaurant. (paying for it too)

WHAT!!!!! (spitting out watermelon)

Lunar15

Pfft. Sellouts.

Everything I know is a lie

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
You know guys, you don't have to be into fighting games to go to EVO.

It's in fucking LAS VEGAS. Not like there's nothing to do outside of EVO.

People attending EVO: Armada's got plans, BIG PLANS. It's going to be so much fun.

Alls I need is a roommate. :p

EMT0

Banned

Seriously?

HXZ25aE.gif

Levito

Banned
Don't feel bad guys, I made this joke on twitter last week and Ron thought I was serious too. I figured the Wayne's World clip would kind of cement that I was joking.

Sorry. XD

kewlmyc

Also, if anyone needs a roomie to split the cost of a hotel room. I'm game.(PM me)

EVO is July 11-13, there are even discounted Hotels for the event. Those will probably go quick though.

Dude, you're right beside Nevada! PRetty srue my flight lands in LA, then heads to Vegas even. :p
Have the prices been announced yet?

Gazoinks

Crunchyroll really should have been a giveaway.

I would like to go but unfortunately family obligations keep me from heading afar.

Bah, family! If there's one thing we should learn from Persona, it's that being around other people sucks and is for losers. :p

Oh dude,
Namatame is how Yu could've turned out if Yu had no Social Links.

Yeah,
I was actually surprised by how interesting Namatame turned out. For someone who initially appears to just be insane, the fact that he thought he was doing the right thing really adds depth to it.

CorvoSol

Bah, family! If there's one thing we should learn from Persona, it's that being around other people sucks and is for losers. :p

Yeah,
I was actually surprised by how interesting Namatame turned out. For someone who initially appears to just be insane, the fact that he thought he was doing the right thing really adds depth to it.

I mean, if Yu had had no friends and no one had believed him,
it's not hard to see how he might've wound up as desperate as Namatame.

EMT0

Banned
Yeah,
there's certainly a thematic parallel there.

(If you haven't beaten Persona 4 don't read below)

Yu, Adachi, and Namatame are all parallels of each other, really. Yu is the one that embraces opening up to others, Adachi is the one that rejects it, and Namatame is the result of what happens when you have it, then lose it.

Gazoinks

(If you haven't beaten Persona 4 don't read below)

Yu, Adachi, and Namatame are all parallels of each other, really. Yu is the one that embraces opening up to others, Adachi is the one that rejects it, and Namatame is the result of what happens when you have it, then lose it.

(P4 ending spoilers go awaaaay)

This, incidentally, is part of the reason why I'm not a huuuge fan of P4's True End. I feel like the True End makes it less interesting, because instead of presenting these three people with different approaches to the concepts of S.Link and how that shapes them into good or bad people, it was just an evil goddess behind it all. Sure Adachi was already crazy, but Izanami was the one who really enabled him. I suppose the original story had Ameno-sagiri, but his place was more vague, and I kind of assumed he just sort of attached himself to Adachi once stuff started happening.

My other main problem with the True End is that I feel like it doesn't really add that much to the story. The plot twist is basically "It wasn't this person who wanted to do this thing, it was this other person who wanted to do exactly the same thing!". It's not really that interesting to me because it doesn't add much, Izanami basically says the same things as Ameno-sagiri. Not to mention that by that point there've been so many "This guy was the real killer all along!" twists.

Tabby

Speaking of him, it's rather outputting that Yu shares the same voice actor.
Watching the anime and it feels like he's infiltrating the investigation team by pretending to be Yu.

Nachos

(P4 ending spoilers go awaaaay)

This, incidentally, is part of the reason why I'm not a huuuge fan of P4's True End. I feel like the True End makes it less interesting, because instead of presenting these three people with different approaches to the concepts of S.Link and how that shapes them into good or bad people, it was just an evil goddess behind it all. Sure Adachi was already crazy, but Izanami was the one who really enabled him. I suppose the original story had Ameno-sagiri, but his place was more vague, and I kind of assumed he just sort of attached himself to Adachi once stuff started happening.

My other main problem with the True End is that I feel like it doesn't really add that much to the story. The plot twist is basically "It wasn't this person who wanted to do this thing, it was this other person who wanted to do exactly the same thing!". It's not really that interesting to me because it doesn't add much, Izanami basically says the same things as Ameno-sagiri. Not to mention that by that point there've been so many "This guy was the real killer all along!" twists.
END GAME DISCUSSION; DO NOT READ
That was my problem, as well. Sure, there's the theme of Izanagi vs Izanami going on, but it just wasn't that satisfying. The fact that they reveal the gas station attendant to be the villain a hundred hours after interacting with her wasn't all that gripping, either. They needed to explain why the protagonist could just enter the tv all of a sudden, but I wished they would've reordered the events so that Adachi was still the final boss. Get the Izanami stuff out of the way to establish that bit of backstory, and then continue onto Adachi as the main villain, swapping out Ameno-Sagiri with his persona regressing back to a shadow ready to consume him, or even turn HIM into the shadow. It would have fit back in with the idea of Adachi wanting the world to be consumed, while also showing what happens when that wish is granted. Depending on how they handled it, it'd also make the excuse that everyone's personae regressed in Arena a bit more believable.

Nachos

Speaking of him, it's rather outputting that Yu shares the same voice actor.
Watching the anime and it feels like he's infiltrating the investigation team by pretending to be Yu.

We were actually talking about that earlier, and I was saying that it probably would have been a lot better if they recast Yu and Makoto, assuming they would've only been able to pitch their voices up or down otherwise. They're the characters with the least amount of personality established by their voices, so they'd be the easiest to change, as opposed to Adachi or Yosuke. I thought Lucien Dodge would make a good replacement Makoto, but a few guys thought that wouldn't have been necessary.

Maybe it's just a minority opinion, but it's really bothering to me to hear two main characters in the same work clearly be voiced by the same person. They're always going to have something characteristically their voice (kinda like a vocal fingerprint). Johnny Yong Bosch was cast as Adachi first and just given Yu's lines as an afterthought. Chances are that Lowenthal was cast as Pharos and (late game P3 spoilers)
Ryoji/Nyx
and given Makoto in a similar way.

What bothers me most though is when a different actor has to fill in for someone else's performance without re-recording the other lines. Hearing (December spoilers in P4)
Namatame go between sounding like two different people who sound nothing alike was really off putting in Golden. You don't need to know who the people behind the voices are to notice that.

kewlmyc

Yeah, they're pretty good! And luckily for me, since I'm in California, I don't have to worry about flights, but I know a lot of people who are going or who want to go are stuck with that trouble :(

I actually like airplanes, so taking trips to the airport doesn't bother me.

The one thing I will never fault P3 for is the soundtrack.

The only thing I can fault on the P3 soundtrack is the lyrics to Massive Destruction, very silly stuff. Silly In a good way I suppose.

Uh yeah! Dadadada Dadadada~
Baby baby! Dadadada Dadadada~
Uh yeah! Dadadada Dadadada~
Baby baby! Dadadada Dadow~ was the best part

Also Heartful Cry is probably my favorite track in the entire Persona series. Such an amazing soundtrack overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom