• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Am I being blind still? I don't see P4A2 on there, so I assume the spot is for that.

I don't think they'd use up that space for it yet. It's just coming to arcades so they probably have an agreement with Arc not to announce a home release for a little while. Don't want to depress arcade numbers.

So what if this game is called Persona 5 but it's actually a sequel to 3/4?

Man I hope it's an entirely new cast and story still....

Me too, I wouldn't mind a continuation of 3-4 but don't call it 5.

I don't think they'd use up that space for it yet. It's just coming to arcades so they probably have an agreement with Arc not to announce a home release for a little while. Don't want to depress arcade numbers.

Oh, I assumed the spot is to advertise their micro sites. Not specific for console games.

CrazyDude

Another reason why this announcement won't be P4A2 for the consoles.

Same, I want new faces and interactions.

I wouldn't mind it, but I seriously doubt it since they said that 5 would be as big a change from 3 and 4, as 3 was for 1 and 2.

I think if they do a sequel it will most likely be called Persona 4 2 or something along those lines.

kewlmyc

I hope that's' not the case. P4A is solving all of my P3/P4 sequel fantasies, so I want P5 to be a fresh start. Especially since it's been 6 or so years since P4 first came out.

CrazyDude

I hope that's' not the case. P4A is solving all of my P3/P4 sequel fantasies, so I want P5 to be a fresh start. Especially since it's been 6 or so years since P4 first came out.

Yeah a P3/P4 sequel wouldn't be that interesting anymore since the characters from both game have already met and interacted with each other.

kewlmyc

Really want an all new cast/storyline, like above all else.

Man this wait is fucking torturous.

Surprisingly, I've been doing just fine. I guess it helps that real life stuff is keeping me super busy. I wish I had the time to watch the countdown stream.

Levito

Banned
Surprisingly, I've been doing just fine. I guess it helps that real life stuff is keeping me super busy. I wish I had the time to watch the countdown stream.

Far too often I'm be sitting in my office at work and one of my monitors will just be the teaser stream. haha

Regginator3

Neo Member
I would love a whole new cast and storyline, but I'd also be super psyched for a story sequel to all of the events in P4A.

I have a feeling Ultimax isn't going to delve into The Malevolent Entity but into the re-birth of Tartarus, with whatever this announcement is as the continuation of that. I don't think the possible return of Nyarlathotep should be relegated to a sequel of a spinoff. Though I guess the storyline did start from a spinoff...

Whatever it is, I'll be fine, as long as it's not a bloody soundtrack tour like a lot of fans are predicting...

Astra

I'd feel kind of torn if we had the same characters again. I love the P4 crew and have grown quite attached to them. I'd love to have another game with them, but like others said, it would be better to see them again in Person 4.2. AFTER Persona 5 is released, and probably after P3 Platinum, too.

Yep. Hashino also once said that Soejima submitted concept art sketches to him. I'm on mobile, so I can't link the source.

This same interview also hinted SMT x FE, since Hashino said a surprising collaboration that would shock everyone would be revealed soon, so look for those terms. The article originally appeared on Andriasang when it was still running.

I would love a whole new cast and storyline, but I'd also be super psyched for a story sequel to all of the events in P4A.

I have a feeling Ultimax isn't going to delve into The Malevolent Entity but into the re-birth of Tartarus, with whatever this announcement is as the continuation of that. I don't think the possible return of Nyarlathotep should be relegated to a sequel of a spinoff. Though I guess the storyline did start from a spinoff...

Whatever it is, I'll be fine, as long as it's not a bloody soundtrack tour like a lot of fans are predicting...

I think Ultimax will,
I think it will go into Malevolent Entity and why it's collecting shadows, I think this will link into Tartarus as a part of it's plan to bring back Nyarlathotep in its full form and he will once again become the main antagonist for Persona 5. This could also explain the shadow characters in Ultimax.

At least, this is what I hope.

Levito

Banned
I'd feel kind of torn if we had the same characters again. I love the P4 crew and have grown quite attached to them. I'd love to have another game with them, but like others said, it would be better to see them again in Person 4.2. AFTER Persona 5 is released, and probably after P3 Platinum, too.

If Indiana Jones and The Kingdom Of the Crystal Skull taught us anything... It's that sometimes if you love something, it's better off just leaving it be.

Meia

If Indiana Jones and The Kingdom Of the Crystal Skull taught us anything... It's that sometimes if you love something, it's better off just leaving it be.

I give any author/director/creator carte blanche to do whatever they feel they need to, until they royally fuck something up. Haven't been let down by Atlus yet, so I'll remain optimistic.

Lunar15

While a lot of people are saying it's a continuation of 3/4 due to the fact that they're doing re-caps of P4 and P3 as well as OST's from those games, one has to rationally ask, "What else would they show?".

They want to make sure people are tuned into this channel. The people tuning into this channel are Persona fans. So, they're showing persona stuff. They can't show new stuff yet, literally all they have to show is old stuff, at least that's my line of reasoning here.

While a lot of people are saying it's a continuation of 3/4 due to the fact that they're doing re-caps of P4 and P3 as well as OST's from those games, one has to rationally ask, "What else would they show?".

They want to make sure people are tuned into this channel. The people tuning into this channel are Persona fans. So, they're showing persona stuff. They can't show new stuff yet, literally all they have to show is old stuff, at least that's my line of reasoning here.
Totally. The teasers of new stuff will start towards the end of the countdown perhaps, but reusing old assets and hyping old fans the more content is hopefully leading into it. With all the gravity being emphasized on the stream, I heavily doubt it's not Persona 5.

Squire

Banned

My thinking exactly.

I'm referring to returning to the exact same characters again, an entirely new cast doesn't fall into the Crystal Skull analogy.

What if I want to see Maya get into a fridge?!?!?!!

BTW I would rather have an all new cast and story, but if they HAVE to bring P3 and 4 back, I would rather them go all the way and get everyone they can back, instead of just half assing it.

Levito

Banned

When Blizzard teased Diablo 3 in almost the exact same way with a teaser site and everything--they didn't have a Diablo 2 tone to everything.

There are plenty of stables associated with the series that are not bound to purely 3/4.

Though, I've had the exact same thoughts as well, there's a good chance you're right. I'm still anxious though.

BTW I would rather have an all new cast and story, but if they HAVE to bring P3 and 4 back, I would rather them go all the way and get everyone they can back, instead of just half assing it.

Well yes, 3/4 would be everyone. Much like Grand Theft Auto--Persona didn't start till the "3rd" game.

Moonlight

Banned
When Blizzard teased Diablo 3 in almost the exact same way with a teaser site and everything--they didn't have a Diablo 2 tone to everything.
Blizzard didn't have a livestream counting down to the reveal and if they did they certainly would have had the resources to fill it with something other than D2 trailers. I can't say the same for Atlus. I imagine this is already a huge undertaking.

Squire

Banned

There are plenty of stables associated with the series that are not bound to purely 3/4.

Though, I've had the exact same thoughts as well, there's a good chance you're right. I'm still anxious though.

Well yes, 3/4 would be everyone. Much like Grand Theft Auto--Persona didn't start till the "3rd" game.

Well played.

kewlmyc

What other stories would the P4 gang have left to go through that could be turned into a full JRPG worth of content? Let go, bro.

Sick burn...

Meia

Atlus has kind of gotten in an "All In" position with this whole thing. They've spent good money on promotion for it, and then with the running of it if all of this new VA work is any indication.

I cannot possibly imagine a scenario right now where this *isn't* Persona 5.

Can it be a Persona 4-2 as well? Sure. Do I have faith in them to not make it suck? Yes, because they've earned that right. They've both kind of written themselves into a corner with the Arena storyline in terms of what it can be....or they could just turn around and say "screw it" and do their own thing. Personally? I'd LOVE for 4-2 to be a competent RPG re-telling of the events of Arena, starting with Labrys dungeon and made into a full fledged sequel. I'm also ok with the idea of it taking place a decade later with a new MC, while some familiar faces have now taken on their roles around Inaba.

I'm thinking Persona 5 is a definite. I still think Persona 3 Vita is happening due to the movie timing with this(since the P4 Animation timing synced with Persona 4 Golden), plus the countdowns have been more P3 heavy than P4. I could see a P4-2 as well, though I think this is the least likely of the three. The only thing that genuinely bugs me about this whole thing is them pretending P1 and P2 just don't exist. You'd think when you have to fill in many hours of fan service stuff, you could tell the stories of P1 and P2 instead of putting up another Marie poem.

kewlmyc

That would be up to the writers to figure out. I'd just be among for the ride.

That's the thing, if you have to "figure out" the plot to a direct sequel, you shouldn't make it in the first place. P4 ended on a conclusive note. P4A is an exception because it is so pure fansevice fluff that most people don't seem to take it seriously.

Levito

Banned
Before pitchforks are grabbed--that was a joke. (Hence the mention of grand theft auto)

For me, I don't need to see more. The ending to P4(and P3) was wonderful--all the characters had their arcs and we're given a fairly clear picture(through social links) of where their lives may have been heading.

It's like how Star Trek: The Next Generation had this amazing ending(All Good Things) to the TV series, and then the TNG movies came along and fucked up EVERYTHING.

Regardless of how quality a P4-2 would be, it's just not necessary. Let's hear new stories and meet new characters.

Dantis

Before pitchforks are grabbed--that was a joke. (Hence the mention of grand theft auto)

For me, I don't need to see more. The ending to P4(and P3) was wonderful--all the characters had their arcs and we're given a fairly clear picture(through social links) of where their lives may have been heading.

It's like how Star Trek: The Next Generation had this amazing ending(All Good Things) to the TV series, and then the TNG movies came along and fucked up EVERYTHING.

Regardless of how quality a P4-2 would be, it's just not necessary. Let's hear new stories and meet new characters.

I agree completely.

And this is why I choose to ignore Arena.

I feel like I actually wouldn't mind a sequel if it were made by the core team, but I'd rather have a whole new cast and story.

Regardless of hoe qaulity a P4-2 would be, it's just not necessary. Let's hear new stories and meet new characters.

I agree with this. No matter how much I wanted to keep following these characters' lives after the games ended, I had to admit that the endings of P3FES and P4G are fantastic as they are. I enjoy Arena because it's fun to see the two casts interacting, but it's so over-the-top compared to the RPGs and so it sort of occupies a different part of my brain. No doubt Ultimax will have a cool story that hopefully wraps everything up, but I'm ready for P5 and something new.

For me, it's like when I finished up P3 and knew that I had P4G coming a few months later. The anticipation of something fresh and new, and going in blind and experiencing P4 for the first time was a wonderful experience (as it had been with P3). I want that again.

I agree completely.

And this is why I choose to ignore Arena.

I feel like I actually wouldn't mind a sequel if it were made by the core team, but I'd rather have a whole new cast and story.

No, you were hype for it before it came out. You choose to ignore Arena because you don't like the ideas it had for the story and the quality of the writing.

Astra

That's the thing, if you have to "figure out" the plot to a direct sequel, you shouldn't make it in the first place. P4 ended on a conclusive note. P4A is an exception because it is so pure fansevice fluff that most people don't seem to take it seriously.

What's to figure out? Go to college, get laid. What's better than getting with all the waifus?

4b1z.jpg

Meia

I think for the most part the reason why Arena kind of sticks to character tropes and doesn't really forge new ground is they were told not to with it, for the reasons you guys are saying, like with the Star Trek thing. It's why I'm doubtful it is 4-2.

It's probably best for everyone to have their own head pairings, their own thoughts of "What comes of their lives years from now", and not tread on that sacred ground. If they do, it'll end in tears for someone out there.

Why I always say for people who want P5 to return to "OMG DARK" setting that the MC of 5 will open up a box in the beginning of the game to find Chie's severed head, cause you can't spell "DARK" without random beloved death! :p

Persona 4-2 to drop all rpg elements and be only a dating sim.

It'll probably sell fantastically too.

I shall buy 10.

Astra

Persona 4-2 to drop all rpg elements and be only a dating sim.

It'll probably sell fantastically too.

It's true. Though maybe not. College aged girls would be too old for fans of those games.
All jokes aside, I really hope that P5 truly is as fresh and different from the previous games as 3 was from the first two.

I'd be concerned they would back peddle and make it more similar to P4 due to how much it exploded in popularity.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm very go with the flow as far as P5 goes, to be honest. I'm confident that whatever they do, they're doing because it's an idea that the team as a whole is excited to do. While I would prefer my Persona games to be fairly standalone, if there's still a story they want to tell with existing characters, I have no objections.

FluxWaveZ

The train locations were shown on the two Midnight Channel teasers so far, put two and two together. There are three banners, and probably three teasers, with the third one being the final one tomorrow.

I meant what do the train locations have to do with Teddie himself being a red herring?

Oh wait, I thought you were directly linking Teddie with the train locations. I see that it's an indirect link between the number of teasers, the train locations and Teddie that you're establishing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom