• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone taken chibi Kanji? If not, could you make one of him for me?

JrprRTL.png

Any more?

Can you make a Shinjiro one for PQ?

Also guys the Etrian Odyssey games are great and more hardcore than Persona ever was, don't judge a book by its cutesy, creepy at times animu moe cover.

Can you make a Shinjiro one for PQ?

Also guys the Etrian Odyssey games are great and more hardcore than Persona ever was, don't judge a book by its cutesy, creepy at times animu moe cover.

but it looks like persona for baaaabbbiiiesss and persona is a grown up series for serious adults

PK Gaming

Heh, RIP in peace P1 and P2. At this point, I think I'll actually be surprised if P4A's big bad ends up being
Nyarl
at this point.

Haha, it's something I just have to accept at some point.

PS: Your avatar is fucking amazing. I can't WAIT to use Adachi in the new P4A game.

cj_iwakura

This livestream was one of the best things they could have done and was an incredibly memorable and hilarious ordeal. It has only increased my respect for Atlus by showing how they are not averse to having fun at the expense of their fanbase, but not disappointing them either and giving their fans something to be happy about.

I'm not someone with a great sense of humor, but you need to calm down more than anyone else who was freaking out in the IRC.

I never laughed so hard at a stream in my life when the dancing game debuted. I almost didn't care about P5 at that point.
yes I did

Seriously, Hashino's insistence that it was coming was all that kept my faith.

Brilliant marketing, god-tier trolling, A+ would watch again.

Dantis

A) Corporations aren't your friend. The point of the stream was to build hype and in that aspect they succeeded admirably than if they had just come out with a series of press releases about their spinoff games.
B) loldantis

You're right, but that kind of doesn't justify it. Just because a corporation is a corporation isn't a justification for being shit.

I think you take it way to serious and you need to chill and have some fun before you give yourself high blood pressure.

This livestream was one of the best things they could have done and was an incredibly memorable and hilarious ordeal. It has only increased my respect for Atlus by showing how they are not averse to having fun at the expense of their fanbase, but not disappointing them either and giving their fans something to be happy about.

I'm not someone with a great sense of humor, but you need to calm down more than anyone else who was freaking out in the IRC.

I think you'd both be disappointed if you met me in real life. It's very easy to write angry sounding words on the Internet. I never yell, I never break anything, I never do anything when I get mad, really. I am a very boring person.

This morning, I was pretty frickin' pissed. But 'pretty frickin' pissed' for me is making an angry post on Tumblr. In real life I was joking with my brother about how ridiculous the whole thing was.

I do genuinely believe that it was a shitty way to treat your fanbase though.

Heh, RIP in peace P1 and P2. At this point, I think I'll actually be surprised if P4A's big bad ends up being
Nyarl
at this point.

Same. I think it's over. P3 and P4 are their own thing at this point really.

FluxWaveZ

Haha, it's something I just have to accept at some point.

PS: Your avatar is fucking amazing. I can't WAIT to use Adachi in the new P4A game.

Yeah, I love this avatar as well. They showed him off as such, but I do wonder if Adachi will actually be a playable character instead of just being 'there' in the story. I'm leaning towards playable, though, so I can't wait to see how he fights.

I think you'd both be disappointed if you met me in real life. It's very easy to write angry sounding words on the Internet. I never yell, I never break anything, I never do anything when I get mad, really. I am a very boring person.

This morning, I was pretty frickin' pissed. But 'pretty frickin' pissed' for me is making an angry post on Tumblr. In real life I was joking with my brother about how ridiculous the whole thing was.

I do genuinely believe that it was a shitty way to treat your fanbase though.

Perhaps "calm down" was the wrong wording. I'm also a very boring person in real life (most likely far more boring and unemotional than you are) and you mention that you were joking with your brother about the event's ridiculousness. So why not actually embrace it instead of criticizing it since it was intentional but had a happy ending?

Don't worry, when P3&4 milking gets old, they'll find a way to link P1&2 universe to it. :)

P5 will be out by that point, so no worries.

PK Gaming

I didn't notice the smile, haha.

Yeah, I love this avatar as well. They showed him off as such, but I do wonder if Adachi will actually be a playable character instead of just being 'there' in the story. I'm leaning towards playable, though, so I can't wait to see how he fights.

Perhaps "calm down" was the wrong wording. I'm also a very boring person in real life (most likely far more boring and unemotional than you are) and you mention that you were joking with your brother about the event's ridiculousness. So why not actually embrace it instead of criticizing it since it was intentional but had a happy ending?
Yeah that's definitely a possibility of him being an NPC (which would be extremely disheartening). I don't think they'll do that, since he was teased at the end of the trailer, but anything's possible... From a technical standpoint, I imagine making him a fighter is probably going to be slightly easier than usual, since we already have Izanagi to base his Persona on, and pre-existing bullet animations for his gun.

Regardless, i'm happy the statute of limitations on Adachi has finally run its course.

There's no way Adachi is playable. It's probably just a form the Entity is using to interact with everyone. At most, I'd think he'd be a support character like Rise.

Hell, it's not even Adachi, It's ???

awOpe5Ql.jpg

Dantis

Because I think it was a shitty thing to do to the people who enjoy your games. I'm glad that some people enjoyed it, but the P5 trailer at the end was basically nothing, and if that's what you came for, it was a big fuck you.

There is a great, great value in creating customers who value your products/services and there will absolutely be no adverse effects from today's stream. But treating your fans poorly is not a good habit to get into.

The more I think about it, the more I'm looking forwards to the products they announced today. But next time I'd prefer to just watch the trailers on Youtube.

Maybe it's because Yukari doesn't know Adachi?

...or maybe it's just Nyarlathotep in disguise.

Yeah, but that text is for the player, not for Yukari, so it wouldn't make sense. Under that logic, in Arena, P3 characters would be ??? when P4 cast first meets them, and vice vera.

Edit: Also note, after 'Adachi' is done talking, he summons a shadow to fight Yukari.

Daimaou

Because I think it was a shitty thing to do to the people who enjoy your games. I'm glad that some people enjoyed it, but the P5 trailer at the end was basically nothing, and if that's what you came for, it was a big fuck you.

There is a great, great value in creating customers who value your products/services and there will absolutely be no adverse effects from today's stream. But treating your fans poorly is not a good habit to get into.

The more I think about it, the more I'm looking forwards to the products they announced today. But next time I'd prefer to just watch the trailers on Youtube.

It's only really a trick they can pull once, anyhow.

Yeah, but that text is for the player, not for Yukari, so it wouldn't make sense. Under that logic, in Arena, P3 characters would be ??? when P4 cast first meets them, and vice vera.

Edit: Also note, after 'Adachi' is done talking, he summons a shadow to fight Yukari.

This series tends to preset text based the character's knowledge, not the players.

Jintor

You're right, but that kind of doesn't justify it. Just because a corporation is a corporation isn't a justification for being shit.

It absolutely is. Corporate responsibility is to making profits; being liked or being popular or having good mindshare is only a pathway towards that for a corporation. I can't remember if Atlus or Sega Sammy or whoever owns them now is publicly listed, but either way, it's their most pressing concern.

Tiu Neo

Hmmm, makes sense. Didn't remember how it was in P4A.

So, it's Nyarly/someone else.

EDIT: HA, so maybe I was right? Cool. Hope Adachi is playable.

pan-hime

There's no way Adachi is playable. It's probably just a form the Entity is using to interact with everyone. At most, I'd think he'd be a support character like Rise.

Hell, it's not even Adachi, It's ???

awOpe5Ql.jpg

w93f4KL.png

actually, she didn't know Adachi. After her dialogue, his name appears.

FluxWaveZ

I suppose this is fair, but since Atlus hasn't been in the business of screwing their fans over, I don't think I can fault them for how they handled this reveal. Sure, if it became a trend, then I could see a problem with it, but as it is now they knew they had a game everyone wanted confirmed and to see something (anything!) of in Persona 5, so they teased their fans around.

Doubt we'll be seeing any P-Team "burst" like this in a really long while, so it was a good opportunity to do what they did.

I think it's too early to say either way. It could be because it's not really Adachi, it could be as a way to build a small amount of suspense like "Who could this guy be??" (similar to what they did with Shadow Yu in P4A), it could just be an incomplete scene or one that wouldn't appear in story mode (just like Shadow Yu)...

It's not possible to say either way, but we do know that a character isn't usually hinted like that at the end of a trailer to not be a significant part of the game, which would usually mean playable in the context of a fighting game.

actually, she didn't know Adachi. After her dialogue, his name appears.

Heh, well that theory got debunked with ease.

Lunar15

To be honest, I think the only reason people(myself included) were legit upset about Persona Q is because all all thought it was -the- announcement.

Trust me, I'm with you on this one. PQ is fine now, but back when it was the first thing we saw... jesus, it was grim for a second.

Also, think about it. They had to do the reveal like this. Had we spoken Japanese, teddie explained multiple times that there would be a few big announcements, and that if you waited till the end there'd be an extra special "present" for longtime fans. By doing it this way, they could make sure that the audience saw all their new games, and then finished off with P5.

The salt's gotta stop. We got what we wanted. I think everyone was extra tense just because many of us had to stay up or wake up at an ungodly hour on a sunday. Had this just been an 8:00 reveal for us, I don't think we would have been nearly as insane.

Personally, i loved the whole dang thing. It was nuts. I knew the whole time we'd get P5 (they registered the domain, after all) but there was definitely a time when I wondered if we'd see it during that event. It was fun, I enjoyed it, and I'm just not going to look this gift horse in the mouth.

Trust me, I'm with you on this one. PQ is fine now, but back when it was the first thing we saw... jesus, it was grim for a second.

Also, think about it. They had to do the reveal like this. Had we spoken Japanese, teddie explained multiple times that there would be a few big announcements, and that if you waited till the end there'd be an extra special "present" for longtime fans. By doing it this way, they could make sure that the audience saw all their new games, and then finished off with P5.

The salt's gotta stop. We got what we wanted.

I wasn't there. Did people think that what the next Persona was going to be loooool.

Dantis

It absolutely is. Corporate responsibility is to making profits; being liked or being popular or having good mindshare is only a pathway towards that for a corporation. I can't remember if Atlus or Sega Sammy or whoever owns them now is publicly listed, but either way, it's their most pressing concern.

No, it isn't. It's a justification for the internal workings of the company, but saying to me "Well, that's business" is not a justification. As a customer, I don't give a hoot how well Atlus' shares are doing, I only care about how their actions affect me. And as the customer, I theoretically have the upper hand.

Customers are serviced, not the other way around. Companies have to work to please consumers, not upset them. Look at someone like Amazon, and then look at someone like EA.

I will fight you, Jintor.

Lunar15

In any case though I hope they lay off the spinoffs for a while. I think they've hit their limit.

I'm sure Sega and Atlus will show great restraint.
not.

Dantis: I'm still not sure what Atlus did wrong. They gave the hardcore fans P5. They gave the casual fans some spinoffs. They built up hype, threw a big event, made us go nuts, and delivered in the end. If that's not taking care of your customers, I don't know what is.

I'm sure Sega and Atlus will show great restraint.
not.

Dantis: I'm still not sure what Atlus did wrong. They gave the hardcore fans P5. They gave the casual fans some spinoffs. They built up hype, threw a big event, made us go nuts, and delivered in the end. If that's not taking care of your customers, I don't know what is.

He probably wanted to actually SEE P5, and I don't blame him, but I am just glad we got any P5 at all, and that 40 second teaser was enough to cause tons of speculation already.

Jintor

No, it isn't. It's a justification for the internal workings of the company, but saying to me "Well, that's business" is not a justification. As a customer, I don't give a hoot how well Atlus' shares are doing, I only care about how their actions affect me. And as the customer, I theoretically have the upper hand.

Customers are serviced, not the other way around. Companies have to work to please consumers, not upset them. Look at someone like Amazon, and then look at someone like EA.

I will fight you, Jintor.

If a corporation services its customers to the detriment of the people who are actually putting capital into the company, then it is not doing its job. Period. You and I may not like that, but that's how it is.

In any case, if Atlus hadn't pulled the P5 reveal at the end, I'd be more inclined to agree with you because it would indicate that they didn't understand their own audience. But since they did, it becomes apparent the whole thing was a calculated move to please as much of the fanbase as possible while using the residual hype to boost its spinoff games.

Caladrius

That 40 second teaser was enough to cause tons of speculation already.

I thought it mostly caused chair pr0n.

And I think they'll show more of the game in late spring/early summer, maybe January/February if they want to go the whole "strike while the iron is hot" route.

Dantis

If a corporation services its customers to the detriment of the people who are actually putting capital into the company, then it is not doing its job. Period. You and I may not like that, but that's how it is.

Only to a point. And either way it still isn't a justification to a customer regardless.

If Atlus had revealed this in a more typical way, or if they'd actually shown Persona 5, would that have been detrimental enough to qualify as not doing their job?

Hardly.

He probably wanted to actually SEE P5, and I don't blame him, but I am just glad we got any P5 at all, and that 40 second teaser was enough to cause tons of speculation already.

Correct. Showing something would have changed it from "Wasting your fans' time" to "Worthwhile".

The whole thing was a troll. Which is either hilarious or awful, depending on your view. In real life, I find it hilarious, here, I find it awful.

Lunar15

Only to a point. And either way it still isn't a justification to a customer regardless.

If Atlus had revealed this in a more typical way, or if they'd actually shown Persona 5, would that have been detrimental enough to qualify as not doing their job?

Hardly.

Business is all about win-wins. This event was a win-win. They let everyone know about all the games they're making, and they re-affirmed with the fanbase that the core Persona Team is working on P5. Total win-win.

Dantis

Business is all about win-wins. This event was a win-win. They let everyone know about all the games they're making, and they re-affirmed with the fanbase that the core Persona Team is working on P5. Total win-win.

I would imagine that they pissed off a lot of people today. I haven't read the threads, but I can't picture myself being the only person who was unimpressed.

Seems more like a win-lose to me.

This, they got me interested in Persona Etrian Odyssey!

This is true.

I'm going to rent it and feel smug that they aren't getting my money. BET THEY'LL REALLY FEEL THE STING THEN, HUH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom