• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

spinzaku-o.gif

Oh no you didn't.

Trigger

There's not a lot to go off of aside from win quotes at the moment. There's not really any spoilers of note but somebody starting P3 might complain if I don't tag these? idk.

Shadow Mitsuru:
Haughty, sees everybody else as being incompetent and beneath her.
Shadow Akihiko:
Obsessed with power and fighting as a means of escapism.
Shadow Aigis:
Bitter and bloodthirsty, swears vengeance on humanity for creating her.
Shadow Yukari:
Sees bonds as pointless and wants to go alone, running away from her problems.
Shadow Junpei:
Casually self-demeaning, sees himself as useless so anybody beneath him has to be pretty bad.

I wish we got proper shadow selves for more of the P3 cast.

Meia

ibdGoJT4S6odhc.gif

I just reached January in P4G.

I put this game down a few months ago as "complete" after getting what i thought was the normal ending.

Not even going to lie, first time getting to the new month in Golden and hearing Snowflakes for the first time got to me a lil. :p

Not even going to lie, first time getting to the new month in Golden and hearing Snowflakes for the first time got to me a lil. :p

It was a combination of everything looking like it's all good, hearing Nanako's voice in high spirits, the new outfits, and after having maxed out a bunch of S links in december the snow theme felt euphoric in a sense. I'm playing with Gold wireless headset so yea.

PK Gaming

It's that time of month again!

WGGtR21.png

1) What are your general thoughts on Yosuke? Why do you like/dislike him?
2) What do you think of his Social Link?
3) What did you think of his problems and his Shadow?
4) What are your thoughts on his Persona(s)? Say anything that comes to mind.
5) Favorite Yosuke outfit
BONUS: Favorite Yosuke moment

image source

kewlmyc

WGGtR21.png

image source

1. I liked him. A lot of people give him shit for being slightly homophobic, but I thought most of that was him jokingly being an ass. He's also the one who got shit done, but never got recognized for it.

2. His social link was meh, but watching him bitch out his two coworkers was great. I would care more about his s.link but I don't care about Saki at all, plus Naoki's s.link does it better.

3. Having family in the country, I can say that being a city boy surrounded by nothing to do in a country town is awful. It's funny how he wanted to play the hero, yet is still treated like a sidekick. He has bland taste in women though.

4. Disco Ninja frog is awesome. Nothing else to say.

5. I honestly don't remember any of them. EDIT: Probably his coat with the fur. Classy.

6. My favorite moment is his entire P4A storyline. So good to actually see him in a leader like position.

Zebetite

Banned

[image]

image source

1) He's kind of generic. He fits the "Best Friend Who Will Follow You Unconditionally" role pretty well but it comes at the cost of being, like, an interesting character. Really his only particular character trait is acting well-intentioned-and-jovial-but-still-kind-of-a-dick towards the girls/Kanji during moments of levity and that stuff is typically funny but doesn't do Yosuke any favors in the likeability department.

2) P4's party member Social Links are pretty consistent in their quality, I think. Yosuke's neither stands out nor detracts. It's certainly a huge leap up from Kenji as far as Magicians are concerned. Ranks 5 and 10 are the ones that strike me as memorable.

3) His Shadow is probably the least-developed of the cast out of necessity. No dungeon to chase him through, no Midnight Channel appearance, and unlike Chie's shadow, Yosuke's doesn't get to piggyback on Yukiko to help develop it. He just kind of shows up. Still, tonally I think his is a good start for the game: in complaining about how boring everything is out in the boonies and how he's just dying for something exciting to happen in his life, Yosuke's shadow is [p4 end spoilers]
kind of foreshadowing the culprit's own motivations.

4) Since his Persona is the source of his abilities, I gotta say that as far as vanilla P4 is concerned, Yosuke is easily one of the best party members in battle. Very, very well-rounded.

5) I haven't played P4G so I've got pretty slim pickings. I guess his Summer Casual outfit, with the red pants. Red pants are pretty cool.

BONUS: Like I alluded to earlier, Yosuke being kind of a jovial dick to everyone around him is typically what sets up most of the game's memorable "happy fun time friend adventure" scenes. Like, I like the school campout scenes a lot and Yosuke is pretty integral to all of them. So I guess the school campout. Because when I think of Yosuke, I think of acting homophobic and very-creepily buying swimsuits for your lady friends to wear.

WGGtR21.png

image source

1) Don't really like him that much. Way too whiny. Going from Junpei to him is such a radical step down.

2) I thought it was okay. There were worse S Links in the game.
The part where you beat him up was pretty good.

3) Don't really have much too comment on this. All I can say is it pales to the other IT member's problems.

4) I don't really have a problem with Disco Ninja Frog. It's one of those "so stupid it's good" personas. However, Susanoo's redesign is garbage. Especially it's upgraded form.

5) Trashcan

Bonus: Edit: Stealing this one from Smedwicks. The part where flails the weapons around was pretty good.

WGGtR21.png

image source

1) I love Yosuke, kinda see him as the voice they couldn't give Yu (at the time). He's the one who is always driving things forward in the team, and always there to back Yu up in any situation. People like to have a go at him saying he's homophobic or sexist, but really, he's a 16 year old having fun with his friends.

2) His social link was alright, far from the best one but good enough. It's just a shame it takes about 7 levels before any real drama occurs in it.

3) His problems, well I can relate to them, probably why I like him so much. I know how it feels to be bored with how things are and be jealous of those with more going on. I like the way he progresses through these though, I kinda see myself in him a little.

4) Jiraiya is ok, don't really know why the team thought of that as a 'hero' (golden art commentary) but it seems to suit him. Susano-o is pretty badass although the firey look doesn't suit his wind element. Also, flaming afro!

5) Summer outfit. Simple yet perfect for his character.

bonus) Favourite moment, easily
him coming back for Yu outside the hospital.
I know it's only in the anime but that cemented him as brosuke for life.

Sophia

I don't really care much for Yosuke. He's pretty average. However, I did like the (MAJOR P4 SPOILERS) moment
at the hospital. Everything from his reaction to Nanako's death to the followup with Namatame is just pretty amazing. Especially thanks to the dubbing.

His Persona is pretty silly tho. DISCO NINJA FROG MAN. Which upgrades into DISCO NINJA FLAME MAN and into SUPER SAYIAN DISCO NINJA FLAME MAN GOD MODE.

Marche90

Do people drink something I don't know during the weekends? Those are the days when the thread gets... funky

WGGtR21.png

image source

1.- Brosuke! Because while he's the comic relief of the party, he's still pretty serious when it counts, just like a real person would do.
2.- Uh... normal? Not the best, but also no the worst in the game.
3.- Can't say I wouldn't do the same if I were in his situation, looking for stuff to do, so it's a very relatable matter (for me at least)
4.- DISCO NINJA FROG.
5.- Can't comment, I haven't played golden yet
BONUS. Camp scene

Trigger

So when do you guys think we get the first trailer for P5? Before or after E3?

After E3 for sure. They have Ultimax and PQ to worry about for now.

WGGtR21.png

image source

1) I like Yosuke overall. He feels like one of the more "normal" characters minus his instant aptitude at using daggers for combat.

2) I really like that the fallout of Saki's death is portrayed more seriously than it would be in other games. Seeing Yosuke and Naoki struggle with their loss is interesting.

3) I like his persona designs honestly. Knowing that he pictures the silly designs as cool just makes me giggle.

4) His standard outfit.

1) He's a solid character. Don't have a lot to say about him, but I don't hate him, nor is he my favorite... that's it really.

2) Social link is just, I dunno, there? If we compare his to the Magician to Kenji's then hell yeah his is better, and it gets good at the end, but I can't even remember most of it besides him looking under your futon for the goods at your house.

3) I can't relate to them personally, but I definitely can see the idea of his
wanting to be away from the boonies and being bored with life
can be relatable, without a doubt. And his shadow looks silly.

4) Jiraya isn't too bad, but man, his other Personas are SILLY

5) Uh, I don't think I have one?

Bonus: When he flails the weapons around like a dumbass, lol

Edit: Seeing as I'm having a bit of a Muppets kick, which P3/P4 character would be which Muppet, PersonaGAF?

TWILT

Banned

WGGtR21.png

image source

1) He's my favorite character in Persona 4, and that's saying a lot since I love the entire cast. Never really saw him as offensive or anything; he's just a teenager trying to have fun with his friends.

2) Really liked it overall. I do like how it tackles his issues working at Junes and Saki. And the rank 10 moment where
he and Yu punch each other to show they're equal
is awesome.

3) I can relate to Yosuke here, so that's prolly why I like him so much.

4) Disco ninja frog jokes aside, I always did like them. They're a little goofy looking, but I always thought that was the point lol.

5) His winter one with the hoodie probably.

BONUS: Once again the rank 10 moment, or every time when we're about to do an All Out Attack and he goes, "Let's go partner!" He really is my bro. :)

Lunar15

WGGtR21.png

image source

1. I like him because he's immensely relatable. He's not perfect, he has issues and complexes, but he's genuinely in it for the right reasons and he's a strong driving force in the plot and in the group's own motivation. He reminds me a lot of myself, and a lot of other people I know. People that sometimes try a little too hard to be cool, but deep down inside are genuine and caring. He also is one of the few characters in JRPG's to admit that they are gaining some small amount of satisfaction in being part of the "quest", even if that is kind of dark and fucked up to think about. He's a passionate and opinionated goofball.

2. Nowhere near my favorites, but it ends really really strong. I feel like there's not much arc to it though. You end up seeing yosuke the same as you did in the beginning; A guy that wants to be so much more than he is but he's held back because he tries to be things he's not.

3. His shadows and problems are pretty weak since his character mainly exists to assist the player and act as their voice. His shadow's kind of gimped because it's the first one you meet. It's only there to gently guide you into the concept, not knock your socks off. He's got complexes that aren't actually well explored by his shadow. I think he's a deeper character outside of that conflict, actually.

4. DISCO NINJA FROG

5. BIRD SHIRT.

6. It's the punch. The punch is the best part of yosuke's social link and yosuke in general.

EMT0

Banned

WGGtR21.png

image source

1) Yosuke was the pants of the Investigation Team until Naoto showed up. He was a complete goofball, served as comic relief, and clowned around with the entire Investigation Team. He was the bro of the game, and probably my favorite character, with Teddie and Kanji tied for second place.
2) I thought it was serviceable. Not great, not terrible.
3) While I can't relate to moving to the country, I can relate to moving away. His woman problems are kind of...well...sad, because he shouldn't have gotten hung up on Saki Konshi in the first place but, it happens. His Shadow, while appropriate, has some relatively shallow hang ups but Yosuke isn't exactly a deep person most of the time. It was a bit surprising to see him behave jovially one moment and then the next, '...wait, you dislike this place? I honestly had NO idea, you seem so happy!'
4) Disc Ninja Frog was a decent persona, but I generally consider the P3 Personas to be better, design-wise
5)
5949_181a.gif

Acid08

Banned

WGGtR21.png

image source
1. Jerk ass, stupid, and and painfully unfunny. Me irl basically. At least I strongly believe in gay rights.
2. Boring. Best moment was Yu telling those girls to shut up.
3. The most relatable problems of the group because he's just some average schmuck.
4. First one was fine. The later two are mad stupid.
5. The one where he's in a garbage can.

WGGtR21.png

image source

1) I like Yosuke. In a way I can't help but feel like he's damned to be compared to the much superior Junpei due to their characters' similarities, but he holds his own as an energetic, reliable guy who serves as a good mouthpiece for the protagonist.
2) His Social Link was okay at first, but became increasingly better as it neared the end. I think his Rank 10 is my favourite out of all the main casts', and the shot of him lying on the grass next to Yu after their fight is really awesome and symbolic.
3) His problems were admittedly not something I can really relate to considering I've lived in and around big cities for most of my life, but he still comes across as sympathetic nonetheless (although some of that may be due to his similarity to Junpei). His shadow was pretty hilarious in retrospect, mostly due to its supposed ferocity being offset by its incredibly comical appearance (LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE ORDERED A STUPID-LOOKING BOSS!).
4) I really, really love Jiraiya. It's exactly my brand of stupid, and its design is appealing enough to me that I dropped 50 big ones on an action figure of it just so I could see what silly poses I could make it do. Susano-o and Takehaya Susano-o aren't quite as good in my eyes, but the latter is dumb/cool enough to be my third-favourite of the Tier 3 designs (after Takeji Zaiten and Izanagi-no-Okami).
5) Ouendan all the way. The Ouendan costumes are the best in the game, so they'll be my pick for any male character, really.
BONUS: Any scene in which it's implied that he has romantic feelings for Yu. It's hinted at just enough to be a possibility without being too overt, and also adds a new dimension to his apparent "homophobia" since it effectively changes him from your average insensitive teenager to someone who's confused and perhaps even frightened by their own sexuality. The cut confession scene really supports both of these theories too, which makes me question why they cut it at all.

Soma

Re: Yosuke

I know I like to take part in ragging on his character because it's fun but I don't think he's a legitimately bad character. Just my least favorite character in the entire cast (maybe even Persona 3 included) which by some standards can be seen as still "pretty good". Nothing about him struck me as endearing and I didn't feel emotionally invested in his story. I think his character design is pretty obnoxious, same for most of his Persona designs.

He always just struck me as Yu's yes man for 90% of the game honestly.

WGGtR21.png

image source

1) I like Yosuke. I feel he gets a lot of unnecessary slack. He's a solid character. He has a good sense of humor and is a good spokes person for the group.

2) I can barely remember it which tells me it wasn't that great.

3) I couldn't relate to his problems as much as the others, so there was no real attachment to the issues he was facing.

4) Jiraiya is the man.

5) Cross dressing Yosuke.

Fav Yosuke moment = Mystery food X or when
he goes rogue at Nametame in the hospital

Caladrius

WGGtR21.png

image source

1.) He's mildly rude and insensitive. I'm led to believe it's because of personal insecurity, which prevents me from thinking worse of him than "occasionally annoying."

2.) It was solid, though rank 9 was a total cop-out.

3.) Fairly mundane, but it bugged me because the shadows are supposed to be inherent, deeply rooted psychological flaws of the unconscious mind. It didn't really make sense for it to be something that Yosuke would more or less be aware of with 5 seconds of thinking. Unless it was his lack of introspection that was part of the point.

4.) Jiraiya is great, Susano-O is dreadful, Takehaya Susano-O is alright.

5.) The winter one and the red and white shirt with red pants.

FluxWaveZ

As of right now, Atlus has officially become its own entity once again, disassociated from Index. Long live Atlus!

Reminder of Hashino's statement from the Persona Channel (translated via Pepsiman):
Hey all.

It’s been a long time coming, but we’re finally able to stage our comeback as a company at last. (Sobs.)

It goes without saying, but I know we’ve made you, the fans, worry a lot these past several years. We lost that which we thought we could once take for granted when Atlus ceased to be a proper company. Atlus continued to live on as a brand, but we had to do a lot of soul searching during those years, especially with respect to what made our games enjoyable on their own terms and and what it means to us personally to bring those games to life.

I might be a bit overdramatic when I say this, but I think much like people, the games that leave a lasting impression upon us are the ones that that charm us and challenge us alike, ones that require more than mere passiveness on our part to enjoy and set out to change the status quo with good intentions. While it’s important for players to enjoy themselves when playing video games, I want ours to linger on in their memories for other reasons beyond that. Those are the things I’ve kept at the forefront of my mind as I keep pursuing this life as a creator that I’ve gone down.

And that’s not going to change moving forward.

We want to keep making the games that’ll make you all happy as fans and while we’re working hard to bring them to you, I hope you’ll continue to voice your passionate support for us as you always have.

- Katsura Hashino

FluxWaveZ

Looks like they have a new logo as well. It can be found on the ATLUS JP Twitter account, as well as their websites (such as the Persona 5 site). Not sure if ATLUS USA will change theirs too, but if so it doesn't look like they've done it yet.

Oh wow, that can't be new, can it? I guess it might be, since the old logo's still in places like their Youtube channel and, like you said, Atlus USA still has the old one. That's pretty neat!

Oh wow, that can't be new, can it? I guess it might be, since the old logo's still in places like their Youtube channel and, like you said, Atlus USA still has the old one. That's pretty neat!

I assume it's the new official logo, since they're using it for Twitter, and they changed it on P5, PQ, P4AU, and P4D's official sites as well. The old logo is still in place on p-ch.jp, but I assume it will be changed soon too. I get the impression that ATLUS USA will be playing catch-up with all of this, since they didn't really talk about the SEGA acquisition very much, nor the removal of Index from the situation. If the main ATLUS logo changes, I'm sure the USA one will too, but it may take time.

Weirdly, I like the old logo better.

I also like the old one better. There's something... off about the new one. :\

So glad ATLUS is ok. They are one of the very few video game company's that produce quality on a regular basis.

Now if they can just get the Europe situation sorted..........

Weirdly, I like the old logo better. I suppose the new one is more modern though.

I don't think the colors compliment each other very well in the new logo. Then again, I bet we all prefer the new logo 5 years from now.

Levito

Banned
New logo isn't as dark or mature at the old one. Disappointed, pre-order cancelled, angry tumblr post incoming.

I mean GOOD MORNING PersonaGAF! How are all you heroes today?

Top Bottom