• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

4h6obgL.png

Ouch, sorry. :)

kewlmyc

I want to main Junpei, either Sho, or the potential console character, but I'll probably stick to Kanji since I suck at combos.

I find the concept of "main" to be restrictive and not very fun when it comes to playing casually, which is why I'll just play anyone and everyone. Mostly Shadows, though, since a lot of my time will be spent reverse-mirroring people.

"Mains" are for people who have neither the time nor ability to seriously learn a wide array of characters, and so need to focus their studies on a select few. Like, why would I spend my scarce free time practicing someone I have no interest in playing like Liz when I could be taking my Junpei to the next level?

FluxWaveZ

"Mains" are for people who have neither the time nor ability to seriously learn a wide array of characters, and so need to focus their studies on a select few. Like, why would I spend my scarce free time practicing someone I have no interest in playing like Liz when I could be taking my Junpei to the next level?

As someone who plays a wide variety of characters without having ever studied any combos for a character that wasn't Shadow Labrys (or Akihiko for the 1-2 weeks that I "mained" him), I think this notion that one has to dedicate themselves to studying one specific character because that's the only way they'll improve is flawed and is preventing certain players from improving, especially in a game with auto-combos.

Blocking/evading and feel for the neutral game are, as far as I'm concerned, where 90% of a player's proficiency comes from while the remaining 10% comes from character specific involved combos and MU information. Inexperienced players will focus on that 10% while ignoring that 90%, thus never really significantly improving in the process, meanwhile those who focus on the 90% will be able to pick up a character that they've essentially never played and still consistently beat the player who's focused on that 10% the most, even if they've played 1,000 matches with their character of choice.

As someone who plays a wide variety of characters without having ever studied any combos for a character that wasn't Shadow Labrys (or Akihiko for the 1-2 weeks that I "mained" him), I think this notion that one has to dedicate themselves to studying one specific character because that's the only way they'll improve is flawed and is preventing certain players from improving, especially in a game with auto-combos.

I think you're hugely underestimating how much your choice of character matters. There are just some characters whose playstyles don't mesh with you at all, and by learning ones whom you feel naturally attracted to, it'll improve your game that much more (mentally, at the very least). I mean, why do you think that most competitive fighting game players tend to stick to a small pool of characters (i.e. Daigo Umehara with Ryu and Ken, Combofiend with She-Hulk/Taskmaster/Spencer, etc.). Good defense means nothing if you don't have a good offense to back it up.

FluxWaveZ

I think you're hugely underestimating how much your choice of character matters. There are just some characters whose playstyles don't mesh with you at all, and by learning ones whom you feel naturally attracted to, it'll improve your game that much more (mentally, at the very least). I mean, why do you think that most competitive fighting game players tend to stick to a small pool of characters (i.e. Daigo Umehara with Ryu and Ken, Combofiend with She-Hulk/Taskmaster/Spencer, etc.). Good defense means nothing if you don't have a good offense to back it up.

Wait, I think we're talking about two different things. I'm purely talking about casual play, not high level, competitive, Burst-baiting play. It's limiting myself to 1-3 characters that doesn't sound fun in casual play, but obviously in competitive play I'm always going to stick to Shadow Labrys unless I'm trying to play the MU game.

Wait, I think we're talking about two different things. I'm purely talking about casual play, not high level, competitive, Burst-baiting play.

Oh, okay. In that case, you're right then. Someone who has a solid grasp of the fundamentals is going to perform better than someone who's sunk dozens of hours into one character but doesn't know how to do mixups.

You know what I would kill for in Arena Ultimax
Makoto Yuki since he deserves it since his life's been shit and whooping Yu's ass
, I'd go nuts.

Acid08

Banned
I already know Yukari will be the character I try the most at first. I wasn't a huge fan of Arena though so I doubt it'll go anywhere meaningful. Just hoping she's fun to play.

Chie was that character for me in the first game.

Makoto Yuki since he deserves it since his life's been shit and whooping Yu's ass
, I'd go nuts.

I'd love this if only so that VAGUE P3 SPOILZ I GUESS
I could kick his butt with Junpei to help the latter overcome his inferiority complex. "Who da man?" indeed.

FluxWaveZ

, I'd go nuts.

I hope we hear more about the new version next week. Wonder if it'll somehow be linked to that 4gamer article that teased that fan desired character.

I think it's a safe bet that there'll be a new character in the new version, but I really wonder if it's going to be the "obvious" one or if that's a red herring and it'll be someone no one really expects.

I also wonder if they're starting to ramp up to start marketing the console version of P4U2. It'd fit with my prediction with some P4U2 news in March (new version, mainly) and PQ stuff alongside P4U2 stuff in April.

Lemstar

Blocking/evading and feel for the neutral game are, as far as I'm concerned, where 90% of a player's proficiency comes from while the remaining 10% comes from character specific involved combos and MU information. Inexperienced players will focus on that 10% while ignoring that 90%, thus never really significantly improving in the process, meanwhile those who focus on the 90% will be able to pick up a character that they've essentially never played and still consistently beat the player who's focused on that 10% the most, even if they've played 1,000 matches with their character of choice.
You think that sticking to one character doesn't expedite the process of learning the 90% component?

FluxWaveZ

You think that sticking to one character doesn't expedite the process of learning the 90% component?

You're right, it does. Hadn't thought of that, but constantly switching characters when one is trying to learn a game will probably inhibit the improvement of the 90% component because they'll be too busy struggling with the particulars of every different character they try out but, at the same time, I guess I wasn't advocating that one should just choose to main random if they're playing casually.

I think one should probably focus on 1-3 characters when they're learning the particulars of the game, but I think it's important to then branch out to several others once they've gained a basic understanding of the fundamental mechanics in order to learn how the neutral game varies from character to character and improve the player's grasp of the fundamentals overall.

You're right, it does. Hadn't thought of that, but constantly switching characters when one is trying to learn a game will probably inhibit the improvement of the 90% component because they'll be too busy struggling with the particulars of every different character they try out but, at the same time, I guess I wasn't advocating that one should just choose to main random if they're playing casually.

I think one should probably focus on 1-3 characters when they're learning the particulars of the game, but I think it's important to then branch out to several others once they've gained a basic understanding of the fundamental mechanics in order to learn how the neutral game varies from character to character and improve the player's grasp of the fundamentals overall.

So what you're saying is

Play Marvel

Lemstar

Marvel makes you a better person by teaching you how to maintain your composure when presented with uncertainty and unfair situations.

This is a very useful talent toi have.
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

hao chi

Who are going to be your mains in ultimax?

If he's in, Makoto will be. Other than that, I'm really looking forward to trying Yukari, Junpei, and to a lesser degree the Sho characters.

If all else fails, I'll probably stick with Yukiko and constantly contemplate switching mains like I do with P4A (mainly SLab).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That won't happen. P4G is very easy.

I dunno about that. I'm playing on Hard and getting my ass kicked by the first mini-boss in the first dungeon. Mostly because of the SP issue. The game is still "easy" like it was on Hard or Normal (forgetting which I played) on PS2, but the SP changes and dungeon changes is doing my head in. D: Especially the saving at the boss gates, can't do that in The Golden version so I have to sleep mode and play nothing else on the system to stay on that floor. Ugh.

Acid08

Banned
I dunno about that. I'm playing on Hard and getting my ass kicked by the first mini-boss in the first dungeon. Mostly because of the SP issue. The game is still "easy" like it was on Hard or Normal (forgetting which I played) on PS2, but the SP changes and dungeon changes is doing my head in. D: Especially the saving at the boss gates, can't do that in The Golden version so I have to sleep mode and play nothing else on the system to stay on that floor. Ugh.
You just have to use a Goho-M and save there. You can start from whatever the last floor you were on in the dungeon before leaving.

And he was debating playing on easy instead of normal. The game is easy enough for almost anyone on normal.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You just have to use a Goho-M and save there. You can start from whatever the last floor you were on in the dungeon before leaving.

And he was debating playing on easy instead of normal. The game is easy enough for almost anyone on normal.

I guess. But I really don't like the save change. It was fine before. :/

I'm trying to one-shot this dungeon for more Social Link time and I know I can do it. I'm just getting my ass kicked despite being level 11 due to not having enough SP to heal/manage my way up to Yukiko.

mitsuru-walk-animation.gif

yeah, still planning on using her just like now in vanilla. Sho (no persona) is interesting enough for me to try, too.

Im so anti Mitsuru. I consider her to be ultra cheap, and that's coming from someone who made it to an S rank in Arena.

Regardless though, I think your in for a real treat with using her in Ultimax. Dunno if you checked out my previous post, but watch this video. She's definitely gonna be the biggest threat in the game if players get her OKI down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANBYvLdlxgI

Big threat, but definitely not "biggest." She isn't the only character that has wake-up shenanigans.

Very true. I just feel Mitsuru overall as a character, has more effective tools than the rest of the cast. One could argue Aigis has more assets than Mitsuru. But Aigis requires a great amount of skill in order to use her effectively. I dont think the same applies to Mitsuru.

Top Bottom