• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Dantis

"The Golden Number" is actually a really great title.

I'd been racking my brain for two days trying to think of a good title, and then I obviously think of that ten minutes after I post the bloody thread.

Could have saved Smedwicks some shame if I'd have thought of it ten minutes sooner!

I don't think there's a single person who played Nocturne that wasn't fucked over by Matador haha.

Speaking of which I know I can't be alone in wishing I could play Nocturne on my Vita.
This would be amazing. As an aside, Matador was the first time I began to take interest in a Meguro track. I was like "Wait... this is actually really good!"

Basically! I love the series and love playing the games, but I probably can't speak on them in the same way that most of the posters around here could. I find it much more interesting reading about others' experiences with Persona! I learn a lot by keeping up with these threads. :)

Huh. Interesting stuff!

And Nocturne couldn't come over to the states again either way because of Dante.

They did another version in Japan featuring Raidou instead. They'd just bring that one over, which I'd prefer anyway.

ramyeon

I didn't.

Okay I read up beforehand.

And Nocturne couldn't come over to the states again either way because of Dante.

Welcome to our den of lunacy!
I would have no issue with Dante being cut from Nocturne to make it available again D:

Haha yeah if you knew what was coming I can imagine him being significantly easier.

I don't think there's a single person who played Nocturne that wasn't fucked over by Matador haha.

Speaking of which I know I can't be alone in wishing I could play Nocturne on my Vita.

Matador is an asshole.

I love that fight. :D
daSU1.png

There's Nintendo Hard, then there's ATLUS Hard.

I don't know where I stand on this one. I feel like Persona 3 and 4 really stepped away from the demons that show up in other SMT games and tried to make something of its own. There can definitely be more and varied shadow designs without using demons.
Cand they though? I think I would need like 80 diffrent shadow designs in order for them to pull that off, something which is just not happening in P5. And who's going to design them? Who designed the non sesne we got in P3/P4, I don't think it was Soejima.
Matador is an asshole.

I love that fight. :D

Best boss fight of all time IMHO and a Nocturne Vita port is something I could see happening eventually. The engine is already there and I think there might be an audience for a mainline SMT game on Vita.

Gazoinks

I didn't.

They should replace him with Raidou like in the Japanese rerelease. The PS2 SMT games coming to Vita would go a looooong way towards making me get one, even if they didn't have big P4G-style enhancements.

daSU1.png

There's Nintendo Hard, then there's ATLUS Hard.

The Dark Souls of the Dark Souls of Persona. :p Definitely one of the better JRPG boss fights I've played.

Lunar15

This dungeon talk is silly.

P5 is clearly going to have a linear structure with one long corridor that you travel down the entire game. Also it's an action battle system with only one player and no party members. There's no demons, just a bunch of high school girls you can date along the way.

Acid08

Banned
I don't like being fucked over by video games :( I'll get back to SMTIV someday. Really want to play P1 and P2 first.

I didn't.

And Nocturne couldn't come over to the states again either way because of Dante
A hypothetical Nocturne Vita port wouldn't be a direct port, it would be a P4G esque remake. Would have SMT IV's fusion systems, a bunch of new demons, save anywhere function, a new ui ect.

Gazoinks

This dungeon talk is silly.

P5 is clearly going to have a linear structure with one long corridor that you travel down the entire game. Also it's an action battle system with only one player and no party members. There's no demons, just a bunch of high school girls you can date along the way.

P5-3 Marie Returns confirmed.

I'd been racking my brain for two days trying to think of a good title, and then I obviously think of that ten minutes after I post the bloody thread.

Could have saved Smedwicks some shame if I'd have thought of it ten minutes sooner!

Don't be so boring Dan-chan

Meia

Er, I didn't say that. In fact,
I heavily doubt that he's an anti-Shadow weapon. That's why I said "product of the Kirijo group."

Yeah, some parts could be translation error or things not coming through in English, but saying "don't come out on your own accord" sounds pretty blatant. It could just be a joke quote like with other mirror matches, though, but we've never seen both of them together so it's hard to know one way or the other.

That quote about tearing Aigis inside out after mentioning the Plume of Dusk also sounds a bit weird, but it was written in some story synopses that Sho wants to "save" Aigis in particular and he also talks to Labrys, in her arcade mode, about how he had chosen her, being the culprit in P4A, because he and her "are the same" when he says:

Not sure if it was said or not, but at this point I'm going to guess
multiple personalities. Given the power of Persona and what it is, I was always curious about a character in the series and what they would be like with multiple personality disorder. Hell, would each personality awake to a different persona?

ramyeon

Cand they though? I think I would need like 80 diffrent shadow designs in order for them to pull that off, something which is just not happening in P5. And who's going to design them? Who designed the non sesne we got in P3/P4, I don't think it was Soejima.
True, if they could pull it off it would be ideal. I feel like the shadows really set Persona apart from the rest of SMT games and really suit the aesthetic they seem to be going for nowadays.
Best boss fight of all time IMHO and a Nocturne Vita port is something I could see happening eventually. The engine is already there and I think there might be an audience for a mainline SMT game on Vita.
If it never happens I think I'll be very disappointed. It would be really perfect, just thinking about a ported version of the game on the OLED screen makes me giddy.
They should replace him with Raidou like in the Japanese rerelease. The PS2 SMT games coming to Vita would go a looooong way towards making me get one, even if they didn't have big P4G-style enhancements.
Yeah Raidou was always a better fit than fucking Dante anyway lol.

FluxWaveZ

multiple personalities. Given the power of Persona and what it is, I was always curious about a character in the series and what they would be like with multiple personality disorder. Hell, would each personality awake to a different persona?

Well,
we already know they have two distinct personalities. The question is whether they inhabit the same body or not (unless you're guessing that they do inhabit the same body, in which case why would Sho's win quote vs. SHO sound the way it does?).

ramyeon

Every time I talk about Nocturne I want to play through it again. So frustrating, the game is sitting on the shelf beside my computer but PS2 is buried somewhere in storage :/

Caladrius

A hypothetical Nocturne Vita port wouldn't be a direct port, it would be a P4G esque remake. Would have SMT IV's fusion systems, a bunch of new demons, save anywhere function, a new ui ect.

Why must you torture us with amazing things that will never happen?

ramyeon

Hey man, this might be the reason why I even got into SMT in the first place. That must have increased sales in some way.
Yeah I guess it probably did some good. Never been a DMC fan though and I felt he was out of place a bit on Nocturne. Raidou definitely suits the game more.

This would be amazing. As an aside, Matador was the first time I began to take interest in a Meguro track. I was like "Wait... this is actually really good!"

Kenichi Tsuchiya composed the Fiend theme in Nocturne, which is a rearrangement of a theme from SMT If... also composed by Tsuchiya.

Dantis

Kenichi Tsuchiya composed the Fiend theme in Nocturne, which is a rearrangement of a theme from SMT If... also composed by Tsuchiya.

That's... not the track I was thinking of.

Hm. It was the first time it played the proper boss track, anyway. It's been a good few years since I played it. I guess I'm combined the first time the track played with the Matador fight in my head because theyve both memorable moments to me.

Gazoinks

That's... not the track I was thinking of.

Hm. It was the first time it played the proper boss track, anyway. It's been a good few years since I played it. I guess I'm combined the first time the track played with the Matador fight in my head because theyve both memorable moments to me.

This one? I can't remember where it first plays, but I'm pretty sure it's before Matador. Nocturne and DDS both have great battle music.

THIS IS THE BOSS THIS IS THE BOSS.

Dantis

Except no.

I don't even like anime you know that.

There's no need to deny it, Smedwicks.

You were disappointed when your love was no longer referenced in a thread title.

This one? I can't remember where it first plays, but I'm pretty sure it's before Matador. Nocturne and DDS both have great battle music.

THIS IS THE BOSS THIS IS THE BOSS.

Honestly, I don't even know if that's the right one. I just remember thinking "Wooah, actual guitars? AMAZING!". I was playing Nocturne because I was sick of western games, and I'd always found most of the western OSTs really boring because they were just generic orchestral tracks and never clicked with me. Nocturne's OST stood out because of that.

CorvoSol

That's kind of what mainline SMT games do though. I can't speak for IV because we'll probably never fucking get it at this point :( but Nocturne's dungeons were pretty unforgiving too.

I don't mind the random dungeons in P3/4 to be honest. I mean they weren't a stand out part of the game, they were just serviceable. Not offensively bad just not outstandingly good either. Improvement on the way they're handled in 5 would be nice.

I think I was just kind of not very pleased with SMT4 in general. The ending was such a huge let down, the "HAHA DO QUESTS TO STRETCH THIS SHIT OUT ANOTHER 5 HOURS" was worse, the "CHOOSE BETWEEN HYPOCRITICAL ASSHOLE AND FUNDAMENTALIST WACKO AND GET BERATED EITHER WAY" sort of blew chunks and the fact that I was level 90 and could still get raped on the world map by surprise attacks from level 15 enemies (which you have no control over on the world map!) sort of let me down. I also didn't think demons were very useful as party members, and demon recruitment brought me to hate them forever and ever.

I think SMT4 is a solid game, but you'll never hear me sing its praises like P4G.

Man, SMT IV would have been the GOAT if it were on PS3 with Kaneko art and 3D battles.

The first two were never officially translated, right?

Correct
I'd be up for an enhanced port or some kind of bundle
Don;t think they would do both SMT 1 and 2 on PS3. Maybe a SMT 1 remake using the SMT IV engine and SMT2 on the PS4, or at least that's what I would want. Speaking of SMT IV, I think we could get some sort of Maniax version of that game soon.

Gazoinks

Man, SMT IV would have been the GOAT if it were on PS3 with Kaneko art and 3D battles.

Correct

Don;t think they would do both SMT 1 and 2 on PS3. Maybe a SMT 1 remake using the SMT IV engine and SMT on the PS4, or at least that's what I would want. Speaking of SMT IV, I think we could get some sort of Maniax version of that game soon.

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of a Soul Hackers-style handheld enhanced port. It'd be really cool to see SMT2 done with full on PS3 production values though, yeah.

The Dark Souls of the Dark Souls of Persona. :p Definitely one of the better JRPG boss fights I've played.
I would love a remake of any of the PS2 SMT games. Nocturne needs a remake, even if it's just bringing over the PS2 game and adding nothing I would be fine with that. And I wouldn't mind Raidou over Dante, because I do like Raidou's design.

Also you know your game is hard when this is how you describe hard...
hard.jpg

You know, what I would want in the next SMT game, a difficulty setting that is just named ATLUS.

King Fost

Neo Member

This would make for an interesting antagonist. It could be like a foil for the protagonist; the protagonist acts like a different person for different people and his/her powers reflect that but the antagonist's persona change powers are because he's literally a different person.

Dantis

.... or were you?

Over at TVTropes, there is a page called "That One Boss." Meant for ridiculously hard bosses that appear in the course of normal game. It's organized by genre. Except for the one page that belongs to Atlus. :)

Trying to work out how Meganada from DDS2 isn't on there. Literally the hardest mandatory boss I've ever been against.

Or Vita. Definitely could handle something more than the 3DS obviously could.

I still can't believe that Personas are 2D art on Persona Q.

3DS is hilariously weaksauce.

Trying to work out how Meganada from DDS2 isn't on there. Literally the hardest mandatory boss I've ever been against.

I still can't believe that Personas are 2D art on Persona Q.

3DS is hilariously weaksauce.

It is about PSP strength, and that handled a lesser version of P3, its just a budget/artistic choice for PQ and SMTIV

Dantis

It is about PSP strength, and that handled a lesser version of P3, its just a budget/artistic choice for PQ and SMTIV

The characters in PQ are much higher polygon than the turds that were in P3P, so I guess that's why the Personas are 2D.

On the other hand, it's no way near reaching the level of Persona 3 or 4 proper, which is terrible and hilarious.

Only in terms of optimisation. The meshes and textures and animations already exist.

The characters in PQ are much higher polygon that the turds that were in P3P, so I guess that's why the Personas are 2D.

On the other hand, it's no way near reaching the level of Persona 3 or 4 proper, which is terrible and hilarious.

and why Vita is the persona machine!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

THAT FUCKING THING

Had to go back and get the proper skills to beat it.

Then the final boss was nothing compared to it. lol

Top Bottom