• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psyae

Just picked up P3P from the sale since I loved Persona 4 Golden so much. I have P3 FES already on my PS3, but I never touched it.

So that leads me to this question: console preferences aside, is there one version I should play over the other?

(also completely unrelated: anyone know where I can buy the chibi Persona 4 figures besides ebay? lawl)

Jachaos

Fuck, I just bought P3P last week figuring it wasn't on the Golden Week sale so wasn't going to be discounted for some time. Hurts because I completed FES for 10$ too and now paid twice that for the FemMC playthrough instead of half. Oh well, still good that they have great deals like that. Hoping P4A is discouted again soon

Tamanon

Banned
Just picked up P3P from the sale since I loved Persona 4 Golden so much. I have P3 FES already on my PS3, but I never touched it.

So that leads me to this question: console preferences aside, is there one version I should play over the other?

(also completely unrelated: anyone know where I can buy the chibi Persona 4 figures besides ebay? lawl)

FES has the better presentation, P3P has the better gameplay IMO. Also, FeMC >>>>> MC.

P3P plays more like P4G than FES does. In FES you don't have party control which a lot of people seem to have issues with. However, P3P doesn't have in game cutscenes and instead uses a visual novel style. I'd say play FES because it has the better presentation, but if the idea of no party control bugs you then go P3P. Honestly, the lack of party control isn't that bad if you properly use the Tactics.

Not having party control is the biggest non-issue ever unless you just don't use tactics. The presentation of FES makes it far better. You should go FES first for the story, then P3P for FeMC.

Time to dig out 5 bucks and buy P3P for my Vita, then!

I'll second that. P1's greatest plus, I think, is that it's also kinda short. Game is a nice, compact package and the PSP OST is killer.

Don't forget to remind people to stick with it cuz it gets better in the second half.

abrack08

Which in all honestly, renders the whole thing utterly boring. It's a misnomer - there's no difficulty there, just arbitrary limits.

It's boring if you grind until you're a high level, but isn't the point of the experience penalty to make you go through the game at a lower level (against, I assume, even tougher enemies)? Which should be doable with the right strategies. If you just grind a ton you're defeating the purpose of playing on a harder difficulty

Kazzy

It's boring if you grind until you're a high level, but isn't the point of the experience penalty to make you go through the game at a lower level? Which should be doable with the right strategies. If you just grind a ton you're defeating the purpose of playing on a harder difficulty

Sure, but I was referring more to the money limits, which becomes more an issue than you might think. Even simple things such as wanting to summon a Persona to S-link the following day can become an arduous task. But as most things, it becomes much easier with time.

My P3P playthrough didn't seem difficult, though.

My love of Nocturne is ever increasing. Not having a hundred cutscenes with 1 million lines of dialogue is really refreshing. Persona could learn a lesson in showing rather than telling :p

My love of Nocturne is ever increasing. Not having a hundred cutscenes with 1 million lines of dialogue is really refreshing. Persona could learn a lesson in showing rather than telling :p

Wow, going to have to disagree completely with this. Nocturne's almost complete lack of story in the early game, combined with a lack of really... any compelling characters... drove me away from it hard. I would loathe to see Persona go in that direction.

Luckily, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

EDIT:

I should clarify that I do enjoy the combat system in Nocturne, even though I'm not a huge fan of demon negotiation. But the fact that I was almost 20 hours in and that's all I was doing just... uggh, no thanks. All it did was make me want to play Persona 3 again! XD I think the thing I loved most about Nocturne was the art and, especially, the music. Meguro did wonderful work there, especially the battle themes. :D

fertygo

Eh aside for the prologue and major event, I always feel this is one of modern Persona's strength with Calendar system. I'm fine with 30 minute event after 10-15 of gameplay.

Anyway Persona created for offering different kind of storytelling than SMT anyway, I'm totally fine having different series that I like have different uniform.
Wow, going to have to disagree completely with this. Nocturne's almost complete lack of story in the early game, combined with a lack of really... any compelling characters... drove me away from it hard. I would loathe to see Persona go in that direction.
This is wrong though.

PK Gaming

tumblr_lyvt24akcI1qdfymko1_500.jpg

Context: Satomi Tadashi is literally a Mary Sue. In Persona 2:Innocent Persona 1, he ended up becoming Tamaki's boyfriend, and a ton of Persona fans gave him shit for that (that's why he's "gone" in EP). Shu is the Tower s.link from P4 that nobody bothered to finish.

source

fertygo

Context: Satomi Tadashi is literally a Mary Sue. In Persona 2:Innocent, he ended up being Tamaki's boyfriend, and a ton of Persona fans gave him shit for that (that's why he's "gone" in EP). Shu is the Tower s.link from P4 that nobody bothered to finish.

source
Why they not doing that since IS then? the dating thing started in P1.

Btw I approve, fucker don't deserve Tamaki.

tumblr_lyvt24akcI1qdfymko1_500.jpg

Context: Satomi Tadashi is literally a Mary Sue. In Persona 2:Innocent Persona 1, he ended up becoming Tamaki's boyfriend, and a ton of Persona fans gave him shit for that (that's why he's "gone" in EP). Shu is the Tower s.link from P4 that nobody bothered to finish.

source

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to finish his S. Link in Golden

...Just gotta continue playing Golden, lol.

Busaiku

So in 1/2 the amount of time it took me on Very Hard, and on my very first trip to Yukiko's Castle, I'll be getting Yukiko on Normal.
Maybe I should've done Hard...

Wait until its Quintanormative later this year! :O

Holy shit the Obelisk dungeon is terrible (Nocturne).

edit: wow a terminal near the top. it is now slightly less awful

You mean AWESOME. Between this and ToS dungeon hate, developers won't be inclined to make great well-done dungeons and we'll get randumb halls of trash like what's so common. :\

Also: you ain't at the top. :O

No it bloooooooooowws lol. Fortunately I discovered that I had already made a demon I need w/ dekaja so I don't have to traverse the entire dungeon again. What a dick move.

How far am I into the game by the way?

Busaiku

So Chie said she didn't want to go back to Yukiko's castle after I rescued Yukiko, but I took her anyway.
Does this affect Social Links?

Meia

So Chie said she didn't want to go back to Yukiko's castle after I rescued Yukiko, but I took her anyway.
Does this affect Social Links?

Nope, none of the IT will ever really want to go back to their dungeon, and can you blame them? :p

You never have to worry about negatively effecting a social link outside of a social link scene. You can occasionally boost them outside of them, but never do them harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom