• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Guess my first impression of Kenji was right then :/
You're not the bro I was looking for.

His social link actually had a lot of potential. I really like the idea of having a social link where you just hang out and shoot the shit. (like with Yosuke, but minus the murder stuff). The best parts of his social link are when you're just talking about mundane stuff that are tangentially related to his problems. Unfortunately, the source of his conflict is just bad. Super bad. They simply don't capitalize on the concept of "average guy friend" at all. Instead, his link ends up involving shenanigans involving a teacher...? I can't relate to a guy who wants to ask out his teacher. It's too jarringly out of touch with reality.

I think his social link would have been a lot better if he wanted to ask out a fellow classmate (like Yukari or Ryo). Because then, the player could actually feel some sympathy for Kenji after he gets rejected. Because then, it would justify why his social link would reverse if you told him he didn't have a shot with the girl he liked. Getting rejected by a cute girl you've been crushing is a very real thing that happens, and it hurts like hell. It would justify everything.

But they didn't capitalize on any of that, and as a result, his social link devolved into some stupid saturday morning cartoon shit.

rRArPAL.png

Inb4 it was one of the first social link, so that's why it sucked

FluxWaveZ

List of upcoming Persona relevant dates:

• May 20: Aniplex USA Persona 3 The Movie home release
  • May 30: Persona Stalker Club episode #4
  • June 5: Persona Q released
  • June 7: Persona The Movie #2: Midsummer Knight's Dream released
  • June 10: Persona 4 Arena Ultimax pre-order bonuses (most likely) detailed
  • June 12: Persona magazine #Spring issue released
  • June 14: Arc Revolution Cup featuring P4U2 starts
  • July 16: Persona Q OST and Persora: The Golden Best released
  • TBD July: Persona 4 the Golden Animation
  • August 28: Persona 4 Arena Ultimax released in Japan
  • August 30: Arc Revolution Cup finals

Kenji in a nutshell

"It totally worked in the manga" sounds like a line of thinking that would inevitably lead to disaster every time.

His social link actually had a lot of potential. I really like the idea of having a social link where you just hang out and shoot the shit. (like with Yosuke, but minus the murder stuff). The best parts of his social link are when you're just talking about mundane stuff that are tangentially related to his problems. Unfortunately, the source of his conflict is just bad. Super bad. They simply don't capitalize on the concept of "average guy friend" at all. Instead, his link ends up involving shenanigans involving a teacher...? I can't relate to a guy who wants to ask out his teacher. It's too jarringly out of touch with reality.

I think his social link would have been a lot better if he wanted to ask out a fellow classmate (like Yukari or Ryo). Because then, the player could actually feel some sympathy for Kenji after he gets rejected. Because then, it would justify why his social link would reverse if you told him he didn't have a shot with the girl he liked. Getting rejected by a cute girl you've been crushing is a very real thing that happens, and it hurts like hell. It would justify everything.

But they didn't capitalize on any of that, and as a result, his social link devolved into some stupid saturday morning cartoon shit.

rRArPAL.png

Inb4 it was one of the first social link, so that's why it sucked

I always looked at him as if he was a 16 yo seemingly getting something out of his league...then not. Not so much sympathetic, just...understanding.

But yeah, Do It For Surt.

Mdesilva

Just finished my last big project of the year. I think I'm gonna start a new run of P4G to celebrate! :D

Because who cares about finals anyways

Sophia

Deliberately ambiguous, just like everything else regarding Kanji's sexuality in the game.

Pretty sure his nosebleed had nothing to do with sexual arousal, at least in the original game. It was just a side effect of him rushing into the girls tent the night before and promptly getting knocked out.... This is reinforced by his confused reaction to being pushed in, as well as Chie's dialogue.

Guess Who

Banned
Pretty sure his nosebleed had nothing to do with sexual arousal, at least in the original game. It was just a side effect of him rushing into the girls tent the night before and promptly getting knocked out....

Haha, I could kind of see it, but I've never heard that interpretation before.

HeelPower

Pretty sure his nosebleed had nothing to do with sexual arousal, at least in the original game. It was just a side effect of him rushing into the girls tent the night before and promptly getting knocked out.... This is reinforced by his confused reaction to being pushed in, as well as Chie's dialogue.

Yup I read this interpretation before.P-Team making fun of the nosebleed trope.

Incidentally this scene made strongly dislike Yosuke and it really sucks that Kanji is undate-able xD

Sophia

Haha, I could kind of see it, but I've never heard that interpretation before.

I can see why other people wouldn't have the interpretation, seeing as the anime had this scene here.

Yup I read this interpretation before.P-Team making fun of the nosebleed trope.

Incidentally this scene made strongly dislike Yosuke and it really sucks that Kanji is undate-able xD

I was too busy laughing at Yosuke's misfortune to dislike him. >.>

HeelPower

I was too busy laughing at Yosuke's misfortune to dislike him. >.>

Blackmailing them to wear the suits he got was really gross imo.He is basically exploiting his own friends sexually.Plus he didn't apologize or anything like that.

I liked him right up to that point.

CorvoSol

This is the impression I had, too. I mean, let's not forget that
he got kicked square in the face.

Blackmailing them to wear the suits he got was really gross imo.He is basically exploiting his own friends sexually.Plus he didn't apologize or anything like that.

Nobody held a gun up to their heads and made them put it on. The really creepy thing was that he purchased and carried two girls' bathing suits in preparation. Of course it's SO creepy it's funny.

HeelPower

Nobody held a gun up to their heads and made them put it on. The really creepy thing was that he purchased and carried two girls' bathing suits in preparation. Of course it's SO creepy it's funny.

They gave in to peer pressure and were obviously upset which is why they pushed him off.I was happy they did.

PK Gaming

"It totally worked in the manga" sounds like a line of thinking that would inevitably lead to disaster every time.

I always looked at him as if he was a 16 yo seemingly getting something out of his league...then not. Not so much sympathetic, just...understanding.

I guess that's another way of looking at it. Overall, his is social link was just so bizarre and frustrating to play through. It really just left me wanting more...

To his credit, his "I can't blame you, though. A man's gotta be aggressive nowadays" line was half-decent.

But yeah, Do It For Surt.

ROGER THAT '_'7

That portion of the camping trip is pretty shitty for everyone involved. Just terrible writing all around.

EDIT: Oh and that catch 22 situation that causes you to fall down with Yosuke is the worst!

Guess Who

Banned
This is the impression I had, too. I mean, let's not forget that
he got kicked square in the face.

It's never explained exactly what happened (other than
he got beaten up
), right? I thought
him getting kicked in the face
, specifically, was a Hiimdaisy invention.

CorvoSol

he got beaten up
), right? I thought

Maybe it is, but I coulda sworn they made a comment to that effect. Whatever the case,
head trauma
is assumed, since he
passed out quick enough to not know/remember what happened.

HeelPower

That portion of the camping trip is pretty shitty for everyone involved. Just terrible writing all around.

EDIT: Oh and that catch 22 situation that causes you to fall down with Yosuke is the worst!

I didn't like how he was so uncomfortable around Kanji in the tent either when he said are we gonna be "safe" around you. Kinda shitty thing to say.

But I guess not every character needs to likeable or endearing.I mean its fine to have an intentionally jerk moment I guess.

The dumbest part of that fucking awful scene was how the game forces you to say one of two asshole comments to the girls. In a self-insert game like P4 I should be able to say what's actually on my mind, like "screw off Yosuke." The whole camping trip pretty much murdered his character for me as well. He's just a total jack ass.

That and the
Hot Springs Trip
are the worst parts of the game. Both scenes are awful and actually made me actively dislike characters in a game that otherwise does a good job of making them endearing.

HeelPower

The dumbest part of that fucking awful scene was how the game forces you to say one of two asshole comments to the girls. In a self-insert game like P4 I should be able to say what's actually on my mind, like "screw off Yosuke." The whole camping trip pretty much murdered his character for me as well. He's just a total jack ass.

That and the
Hot Springs Trip
are the worst parts of the game. Both scenes are awful and actually made me actively dislike characters in a game that otherwise does a good job of making them endearing.

IIRC the game has "....." or speechless answers which I actually chose.

But yeah if the game gave more aggressive-to-Yosuke options I would choose them.

IIRC the game has "....." or speechless answers which I actually chose.

But yeah if the game gave more aggressive-to-Yosuke options I would choose them.

Really? In vanilla P4 I'm pretty sure you can only say they'll look great or they won't. Unless my memory is really awful since it's been less than a month since I played through P4.

Jintor

that scene i specifically remember having two awkward choices that i couldn't even tell what they were going for. They both lead to the same thing anyway

HeelPower

Really? In vanilla P4 I'm pretty sure you can only say they'll look great or they won't. Unless my memory is really awful since it's been less than a month since I played through P4.

oh I could be wrong.

You're right.I think you can only say they don't look great.Sorry my memory is even worse lol

All I know is I didn't agree with him.

Acid08

Banned
I remember that scene letting you say either Chie looks good, Yukiko looks good, or both look good. Sucks that neither fit in with my version of Charlie.

Camping trip was the low point in an otherwise amazing game.

CorvoSol

Persimmons 2 Ignited Skin

I am not down with this change in the party, you guys. Just lost the coolest character in the game for what has got to be Magus' shitty, doofy, craptacular nephew thrice removed. I do not like this kid, and I would gladly leave him to the Last Batallion if I could. I also am not buying the
WE'RE SO HAPPY YOU ARE WITH US, YOU MURDEROUS BASTARD WHO SHOWS NO MAJOR SIGNS OF REMORSE, YOU!

But I already didn't like his whole flower schtick, either. Who is he, Tuxedo Mask?

But whatever, now we have new villains and THEY'RE COOL. Much cooler than Captain Angst over there.

Also thank you, sweet Jesus, for Tetraja, without which I wouldn't have ever made it out of the Hell that is this game's dungeons. Even WITH it, it's total bullshit that the enemy KOs three of my party members before I can ever even fucking CAST it.

But whatever, chips are where they lie. First thing is first: take my vast fortune and buy Satomi Tadashi's entire stock of everything.

HeelPower

I remember that scene letting you say either Chie looks good, Yukiko looks good, or both look good. Sucks that neither fit in with my version of Charlie.

I consider it a low point for yosuke but not the rest of the game per se.

PK Gaming

he got beaten up
), right? I thought
Actually, they did

I didn't like how he was so uncomfortable around Kanji in the tent either when he said are we gonna be "safe" around you. Kinda shitty thing to say.

But I guess not every character needs to likeable or endearing.I mean its fine to have an intentionally jerk moment I guess.
Right

It was pretty awful for all parties involved. Even Kanji managed to come across as an insufferable jerkass. He barged in Yosuke / Yu's tent and ran into the girls tent (which is a pretty shitty thing to do in and of itself) despite repeated warnings. I get that Kanji is extremely insecure over coming across as "gay", but his actions during the camping trip just border on idiotic.

You can tell they improved in writing Yosuke / Kanji interactions in Golden, because none of that toxic bullshit is present during any of the Golden exclusive scenes.

A heart to heart between friends

Wait so Chie kicked him in the nads so hard he fell unconscious? That's like... really, really horrifying.

I think the
Hot Springs Scene (the original P4 one)
has the same problem. The girls look like jerks... and that's about it. Especially Rise. Maybe I'm different, but uh, wouldn't
best friends admit their mistake? Instead they're all like "lol fuck those guys" and don't even suffer any consequences for their actions.

Wait so Chie kicked him in the nads so hard he fell unconscious? That's like... really, really horrifying.

I think the
Hot Springs Scene (the original P4 one)
has the same problem. The girls look like jerks... and that's about it. Especially Rise. Maybe I'm different, but uh, wouldn't
best friends admit their mistake? Instead they're all like "lol fuck those guys" and don't even suffer any consequences for their actions.

its just a bunch of anime tropes

I know, but that doesn't make them any less awful.

I know that, but all the hot springs scenes in Japanese games/anime has me thinking does Japan just have a ton of hot springs everywhere, and in said hotsprings, are all the girls having a blast and all the guys miserable?

Squire

Banned

Lies det- WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO TO YOUR AVATAR?!

Dantis

I know that, but all the hot springs scenes in Japanese games/anime has me thinking does Japan just have a ton of hot springs everywhere, and in said hotsprings, are all the girls having a blast and all the guys miserable?

And that it's totally okay for the guys to peep on the girls, obviously.

Dantis

So I was thinking:

PQ releases in June.
Ultimax releases in August.

So it would make sense for P4D to release in October, and P5 to release in December.

Jintor

And that it's totally okay for the guys to peep on the girls, obviously.

I've always felt it's in the realm of 'acceptable youthful hijinks' myself. Of course the Japanese cultural mindset re: sexual harassment has always been relatively permissive, at least relative to Western norms (though thinking about it it was probably about the same as American or English mindsets in the 60s and 70s)

So I was thinking:

PQ releases in June.
Ultimax releases in August.

So it would make sense for P4D to release in October, and P5 to release in December.

This is what I expect as well. Especially since November would be only one month before December. It'd be weird if November was the month of P4D, and not P5 info after its big major trailer reveal. (I'm guessing TGS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom