• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Persona sells as well in the west as it does in Japan.

Persona sells as well in the west (i.e. the entirety of the US, Europe and Australia) as it does in Japan (a single country).

Just think about what a crazy statement that is for a second. I mean, you're right, but it also means nothing.

a product written specifically to resonate with certain cultural themes and norms performs far better in that market than elsewhere... Must be witchcraft

MSMrRound

What I'm expecting AtlusUSA to concentrate on for 2014: P4U and PQ.

E3: P4U (90%) of it happening/side projects that they got going on
PQ will most likely be given more of a spotlight through Nintendo Directs. Wouldn't really count on it appearing at E3.

PQ will most likely be given more of a spotlight through Nintendo Directs. Wouldn't really count on it appearing at E3.

I'd be a bit surprised if they didn't show PQ at all during Nintendo's E3 event

FluxWaveZ

Why would PQ not be shown at E3? Atlus USA has their own E3 booth, you know? They won't just be showing off P4AU and Citizens of Earth.

Since April 17, I've pictured a P5 announcement in the way they handled the P4U2 unveil. During a week before/during/after TGS, they'd post a heads up on the website and via Twitter that people should be looking forward to the latest Famitsu. When it comes out, so will the official trailer and all that stuff.

Lunar15

Persona sells on par if not more in the West though, at least from what P4G has shown. Persona as a series can grow much more in the West than in JP.

Dantis already said it, but yeah: market concentration. The percentage of people who would are receptive to Persona in Japan is much larger than the percentage elsewhere. It's like GTA: GTA is very popular in Japan, despite being a western game. That being said, would you expect Rockstar to unveil it in Japan? Probably not.

It also comes down to localized marketing materials. They reveal things in Japan first because it's far easier to create native marketing materials first. They're not a huge company.

But it's ok! They also know that the market for Persona in the west is just as receptive to their native advertising. See: That Nico Nico stream. Plus, what's the big deal with E3? Does an E3 reveal make something more important? I strongly disagree with that sentiment.

MSMrRound

Don't get me wrong. It will be cool if PQ makes an appearance...it's just that..how far along do you guys suppose Persona Q currently at in terms of localization?

Think it's far along for playable demos at their E3 booth?

FluxWaveZ

But it's ok! They also know that the market for Persona in the west is just as receptive to their native advertising. See: That Nico Nico stream.

I'm not sure about that. When's the last time Atlus Japan has acknowledged the western audience other than them celebrating sales figures or Hashino's throwaway comment that there are Persona fans all over the world? I think Psycho_Mantis is right when he says:

Persona as a series can grow much more in the West than in JP.

I think the series has a lot of potential growth, but I think it requires some kind of further synchronization between Atlus Japan and Atlus USA. Further effort towards globalization, like some other studios who understand that the West is just as important a market as it is in Japan.

Think it's far along for playable demos at their E3 booth?

Yes. Well, I personally think so. It's hard to know for sure, of course, other than Yukari's VA potentially hinting that work on PQ had already started a few months back.

Lunar15

I would argue that the potential for growth is much higher in Japan. It's a high selling game in Japan, yes, but it's certainly not as big as it could be over there. Persona 5 is now #1 in Famitsu's Most Wanted. This is their chance to finally capitalize on a very expectant market in Japan, so I think they're going to focus on that.

But hey, they can do whatever they want. Show it off at E3, show it off at TGS, show it off in Famitsu, whatever. They tend to do the unexpected. But remember that the marketing budget it for it is global: They have to choose where they spend their money wisely. It's easier to do an event with the japanese VA's than it is with the English VA's which can only be determined once Atlus USA has a better idea of what the game is. Atlus JP can decide that stuff on the fly during development and begin preparing marketing materials as they go.

Squire

Banned
E3 is a business event to highlight multimillion selling games, first and foremost. P5 does not deserve or even need to be there or in a press conference there.

I love the show, but it's not a rock concert.

FluxWaveZ

They have to choose where they spend their money wisely. It's easier to do an event with the japanese VA's than it is with the English VA's which can only be determined once Atlus USA has a better idea of what the game is. Atlus JP can decide that stuff on the fly during development and begin preparing marketing materials as they go.

But it doesn't have to limit itself to VA. Look at Guilty Gear Xrd, Ace Attorney 5, Dark Souls II, Final Fantasy XV, Tales of Zestria, etc. Things like a worldwide announcement of the game, subs under a Japanese voiced trailer, a worldwide release, etc. could prove effective for a western market's awareness of a title.

I'm not sure what difference it would make, but take the Atlus USA Persona game trailers as an example. They were not voiced in English at all and were basically just translated and put out there months after the Japanese announcements (with some Japanese text still in some of them). Could those trailers not have been made available as part of the November announcement? If not, I'd be interested in knowing what marketing reasons prevented that possibility.

Global marketing budgets is probably a good point, but what if they were adjusted to fit more of a global market instead of totally prioritizing a Japanese one? The issues are probably much larger than I can even consider, but I have to wonder just how much more profitable, if at profitable at all, it would be for Atlus as a whole if that were to happen.

E3 is a business event to highlight multimillion selling games, first and foremost. P5 does not deserve or even need to be there or in a press conference there.

I love the show, but it's not a rock concert.

Uh, you mean just press conferences, right? Plenty of games on the showfloor are not multi-million selling titles.

And even in the conferences, we still get cases like the Sony E3 2013 conference indie showcase or other smaller games. There are also the numerous montages.

Lunar15

It's really just the game itself: It's about kids in Japan who go to Japanese high school and participate in Japanese traditions. It's quite clear which market they're making the game for, so why start the marketing campaign outside of that market? While it has appeal outside of Japan, for sure, it just seems silly to me to kick everything off outside of the core demographic that the developers are aiming for.

It's really just the game itself: It's about kids in Japan who go to Japanese high school and participate in Japanese traditions. It's quite clear what market they're making the game for, so why start the marketing campaign outside of that market?

Because PersonaGAF demands it

FluxWaveZ

It's really just the game itself: It's about kids in Japan who go to Japanese high school and participate in Japanese traditions. It's quite clear which market they're making the game for, so why start the marketing campaign outside of that market?

With that logic, why release the game outside of Japan at all?

It doesn't have to be one or the other in terms of marketing. I'm saying that the western effort could be expanded in addition to the Japanese effort, which could potentially be better for everyone than not.

HeelPower

There are tons of universal themes in Persona that many people can identify with.In addition,it being set in japan adds a dimension of uniqueness and interest to the curious non-japanese audience

The audience for this series can definitely expand outside of its current circle and anyone who says otherwise is just pessimistic at best.

Levito

Banned
P5 probably wont be at E3 just for the fact that E3 is more for western consumers. Still really can't say myself when or where it'll make it's debut.

P5 probably wont be at E3 just for the fact that E3 is more for western consumers. Still really can't say myself when or where it'll make it's debut.

I still really want them to send an email the day it comes out being all "Buy it today it's out now!" With no buildup beforehand

Squire

Banned
Uh, you mean just press conferences, right? Plenty of games on the showfloor are not multi-million selling titles.

And even in the conferences, we still get cases like the Sony E3 2013 conference indie showcase or other smaller games. There are also the numerous montages.

I'm talking about pressers, yes. Whenever the topic of P5 being at E3 comes up, it's usually about it's potential to be revealed at the Sony presser, which I think is non-existent. They're not going to give a game like that primo stage time in a post-PS4 world and after Atlus did a three day livestream to ultimately unveil the games logo, they're certainly not going to throw their coming out party in the middle of a montage. When there we'd rumors they were going to do that/planned to last year, I thought it made perfect sense or at least sense enough, but the LS4 is out now.

FluxWaveZ

I'm talking about pressers, yes. Whenever the topic of P5 being at E3 comes up, it's usually about it's potential to be revealed at the Sony presser, which I think is non-existent. They're not going to give a game like that primo stage time in a post-PS4 world and after Atlus did a three day livestream to ultimately unveil the games logo, they're certainly not going to throw their coming out party in the middle of a montage. When there we'd rumors they were going to do that/planned to last year, I thought it made perfect sense or at least sense enough, but the LS4 is out now.

Yeah, that makes sense. There are a few exceptions, though, like the indie showcase I mentioned and there's also the fact that Persona 5 is one of the last big PS3 exclusives, but I still think it's much more likely that relevant P5 info will be known surrounding TGS.

And by montage, I meant that a lot of the non multi-million selling titles are often shown during those montage videos in an E3 conference. I wouldn't be surprised to see the P5 teaser shown for half a second or something during one of those montages.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, that makes sense. There are a few exceptions, though, like the indie showcase I mentioned and there's also the fact that Persona 5 is one of the last big PS3 exclusives, but I still think it's much more likely that relevant P5 info will be known surrounding TGS.

And by montage, I meant that a lot of the non multi-million selling titles are often shown during those montage videos in an E3 conference. I wouldn't be surprised to see the P5 teaser shown for half a second or something during one of those montages.

That entirely likely, but that teaser is so unexciting, I'm not sure why anyone would bother to even suggest it's inclusion.

In general though, I expect minimal indie/niche games talk on stage at E3 this year. Year 2 for a console is critical. It needs to be about AAA releases for the holidays and the months afterward. Both first party lineups are skin and bones right now.

Lunar15

With that logic, why release the game outside of Japan at all?

It doesn't have to be one or the other in terms of marketing. I'm saying that the western effort could be expanded in addition to the Japanese effort, which could potentially be better for everyone than not.

I think they'll have a pretty good sized marketing push in the US. There's probably more marketing dollars behind P5 than any game Atlus has ever made.

My point is more where they'd focus their gameplay reveal. They're going straight to the core, which is the Japanese market.

I'm not saying that the game is unappealing to a western market. It's that it's designed for an eastern one and the western market being interested is a side effect.

Either way, this is pretty much a cyclical argument. Atlus gonna do what Atlus gonna do. If they show the game off at E3, then great. Just don't get your hopes up, is all I'm saying.

FluxWaveZ

I think they'll have a pretty good sized marketing push in the US. There's probably more marketing dollars behind P5 than any game Atlus has ever made.

My point is more where they'd focus their gameplay reveal. They're going straight to the core, which is the Japanese market.

I think you're talking about in which market the game will first be unveiled in? Yeah, I'm not saying that it won't be Japan, because like you said, that's where the main audience is. But do you not think that a simultaneous unveil—like a Famitsu media blowout for Japan and a similar kind of deal for NA—would benefit both markets? And I'm not just talking about P5, but for any Atlus developed game. Again, I don't believe that Persona has to always be some niche thing in NA; most people who have played the games clearly love them. If it was given more exposure, who's to say it couldn't become a more relevant series, benefiting both the fans and Atlus?

But I guess what's most important than the worldwide approach is the marketing push the games get in their respective markets. If Persona 5, for example, is similarly promoted in Japan as it is in NA, I'm sure good things will come from it. It's just that I feel that P5 is already behind in media attention in NA with it having been announced in Japan through this big event and with a dedicated magazine promoting it.

I'm not saying that the game is unappealing to a western market. It's that it's designed for an eastern one and the western market being interested is a side effect.

Either way, this is pretty much a cyclical argument. Atlus gonna do what Atlus gonna do. If they show the game off at E3, then great. Just don't get your hopes up, is all I'm saying.

We might be talking about two different things. Do you not want Persona to be a bigger franchise in North America than it is currently? And I had never said I expected P5 to be at E3; in fact, I don't expect it to be at E3.

I was listening to a podcast named Garnett on Games (if you are familiar with 1up.com, it's the same Garnett Lee from 1up Yours). In the beginning of this episode, he breaks down the elements of a good JRPG. Although he's not talking about Persona, I think a great deal of what he says applies to this series.

If you have the time, give it a listen:

http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/lightning-returned-2005

He shifts the talk into FFXIII specifically at 11:10, so if you don't want spoilers stop there.

Squire

Banned
I really miss WC, but the one man show thing just doesn't work for me. I don't even think it works at all , since it's not really a podcast with out two or more people, it's weekly audio diaries.

Which attendant will you chose for the journey ahead?
Bn-7smqCYAEnFKD.jpg:large

Lunar15

I think you're talking about in which market the game will first be unveiled in? Yeah, I'm not saying that it won't be Japan, because like you said, that's where the main audience is. But do you not think that a simultaneous unveil—like a Famitsu media blowout for Japan and a similar kind of deal for NA—would benefit both markets? And I'm not just talking about P5, but for any Atlus developed game. Again, I don't believe that Persona has to always be some niche thing in NA; most people who have played the games clearly love them. If it was given more exposure, who's to say it couldn't become a more relevant series, benefiting both the fans and Atlus?

But I guess what's most important than the worldwide approach is the marketing push the games get in their respective markets. If Persona 5, for example, is similarly promoted in Japan as it is in NA, I'm sure good things will come from it. It's just that I feel that P5 is already behind in media attention in NA with it having been announced in Japan through this big event and with a dedicated magazine promoting it.

We might be talking about two different things. Do you not want Persona to be a bigger franchise in North America than it is currently? And I had never said I expected P5 to be at E3; in fact, I don't expect it to be at E3.

Yeah, I think there was a misunderstanding. I'm merely talking about where they would choose to reveal P5, and I'm saying that it would not be at E3.

There's certainly room to grow it in the US, but my statement was that they actually have room to grow in Japan first. I'd even wager that you could spend less marketing dollars per additional buyer in Japan than America right now. The game's made for that market and still hasn't hit the penetration it could.

Chick. Dude would never take off those headphones and would just hand you the persona without eye contact.

I know that, but all the hot springs scenes in Japanese games/anime has me thinking does Japan just have a ton of hot springs everywhere, and in said hotsprings, are all the girls having a blast and all the guys miserable?

The only way this changes is to ban hot springs scenes henceforth.

Holy crap I didn't realize that New Game+ in FES meant all your levels, money, and weapons were transferred over as well. Now Tartarus will be a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom