• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
Is his original voice actor not doing voices anymore?

Mona Marshall still gets work and is quite good in my opinion, but you only use female voice actors to portray boys, pre-puberty, most typically. I would be surprised if they re-cast her.

kewlmyc

Mona Marshall still gets work and is quite good in my opinion, but you only use female voice actors to portray boys, pre-puberty, most typically. I would be surprised if they re-cast her.

I assume you mean "wouldn't be surprised". Anyway, if they do replace her, then I wouldn't be surprised if they got Bryce Paperbrook since he's voiced similar characters before (Ken's Japanese VA voices Makoto and Komaeda from Danganronpa). Pains me to say that too since I thing Bryce is pretty mediocre.

Squire

Banned
I assume you mean "wouldn't be surprised". Anyway, if they do replace her, then I wouldn't be surprised if they got Bryce Paperbrook since he's voiced similar characters before (Ken's Japanese VA voices Makoto and Komaeda from Danganronpa). Pains me to say that too since I thing Bryce is pretty mediocre.

No, I would be surprised. How old is Ken now? 14? They can't really use Mona...

Bryce is so bland.

Whoa, I just realized each P3 character's Arcade Mode art is based on their P3P All Out Attack art. I bet I'm the last person to realize this.

I made an album comparing all of them: HERE

How come Chie and Kanji have Wikipedia pages but Yosuke and Naoto doesn't?
I think the better question is why do Chie and Kanji have Wikipedia pages?

Whoa, I just realized each P3 character's Arcade Mode art is based on their P3P All Out Attack art. I bet I'm the last person to realize this.

Oh, of course Junpei is grinning like a doofus now.

Yep. Did we ever get confirmation JYB is going to play Hinata?

Nope, Todd Haberkorn and Johnny Young Bosch are the only ones that have said they are in the game, but have not said what roles they are doing. If I had to guess, Haberkorn would be Hinata, based on how Hinata speaks in the game and the roles that Haberkorn has done, it would make sense. And JYB would likely be TeruTeru Hanamura, based on the fact he's voiced by Jun Fukuyama in JP. Considering how many roles these two have shared, it would make sense that or Gundham.

As for Komaeda, I'm going to reserve judgement on that until I hear a decent amount of his lines.

kewlmyc

Nope, Todd Haberkorn and Johnny Young Bosch are the only ones that have said they are in the game, but have not said what roles they are doing. If I had to guess, Haberkorn would be Hinata, based on how Hinata speaks in the game and the roles that Haberkorn has done, it would make sense. And JYB would likely be TeruTeru Hanamura, based on the fact he's voiced by Jun Fukuyama in JP. Considering how many roles these two have shared, it would make sense that or Gundham.

As for Komaeda, I'm going to reserve judgement on that until I hear a decent amount of his lines.

Oh, then I stand corrected. I could see JYB as Gundham or Hinata. Funny enough, I don't think JYB has range enough for Hanamura even though he and the Japanese VA have a lot of roles in common.

abrack08

Yeah, so you wouldn't be surprised if they recasted her since her voice won't match up with his current image. :p

No. I don't think he's ever been confirmed for the game.

Hah, this was a pretty amusing misunderstanding. I think the confusion came from the word recast.

"I would be surprised if they recast her" - I would be surprised if they cast the same actress again (re-cast)

"I wouldn't be surprised if they recast her" - I would not be surprised if they went through the casting process again (re-cast) to pick someone else

Both basically mean the same thing

Anyway I can definitely see Bryce Pappenbrook's voice coming out of Ken's new mouth (what a weird way to say that). Wouldn't be the worst casting in the world.

Lunar15

When does part 3 of Jojo's get good? Not really enjoying it right now. Jotaro is a snoozefest.

Also, They'll probably recast Ken, and it's going to be hella weird.

Lunar15

It gets really good after the Hol Horse fight, and continues to be good until the final four arcs, at which point it become legendary.

Good because of battles? Because I'm not really into just straight battlin'. Part 2 was great because it was just so stupid in all the right ways and Joseph never really fought as much as he tricked all of his opponents.

Good because of battles? Because I'm not really into just straight battlin'. Part 2 was great because it was just so stupid in all the right ways and Joseph never really fought as much as he tricked all of his opponents.

No, it becomes good after the Hol Horse fight because every battle becomes a puzzle in which the goal is to figure out how to creatively dispatch the enemy Stand. Plus the characters continue to develop until the outshine the entire cast of Parts 1 and 2, which means more is at stake since you care about them more.

PK Gaming

When does part 3 of Jojo's get good? Not really enjoying it right now. Jotaro is a snoozefest.

Also, They'll probably recast Ken, and it's going to be hella weird.

Dude

I felt the exact same way. Joseph Joestar was a hell of an act to follow, and Jotaru honestly doesn't come close. THAT SAID, I feel like part 3 had better side characters (including our man Joseph) and it really hits its stride right around the time that Scrafty specified.

I'd just give it more time.

FluxWaveZ

I never noticed that before myself. There are a lot of little touches like that in P4A, it's pretty neat.

Cool .gif from P3M #1:

iLPuUQEpPgAAD.gif

Also, translation for Ken's P4AU title is seemingly something like: "The Cynical Rookie in the Prime of his Cheekiness."

Soma

Speaking of which I should probably echo my thoughts on the P3 movie here too:

Pretty good! Animation quality wasn't perfect as there were a couple derp faces and some weird anatomical designs but it's a massive step up from what we got in the Persona 4 anime. (though it's kind of an unfair comparison but whatevs) The fights were pretty cool and I had a big smile when
Jack Frost and Sarasvati were summoned for the first time

It also gave some much needed fleshing out of Fuuka's and Makoto's character. I appreciate that they utilized his aloof personality well enough to build him beyond being a blank-state character and to provide some tension between him and the rest of the cast. He's obviously presented as a gifted Persona user but his personality hinders him from being a team player. He's not completely perfect as a result which is nice and sets the stage for some meaningful development.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend it to people who haven't played it before because the introductory phase kinda dragged and was a little boring too. But as a fan of the game I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Also this happened which made me laugh.

Squire

Banned

How does Hinata talk? Should I expect a Brooklyn dialect?

kewlmyc

Hah, this was a pretty amusing misunderstanding. I think the confusion came from the word recast.

"I would be surprised if they recast her" - I would be surprised if they cast the same actress again (re-cast)

"I wouldn't be surprised if they recast her" - I would not be surprised if they went through the casting process again (re-cast) to pick someone else

Both basically mean the same thing

Anyway I can definitely see Bryce Pappenbrook's voice coming out of Ken's new mouth (what a weird way to say that). Wouldn't be the worst casting in the world.
Huh, well now I feel stupid.

I hope SDR2 actually has a decent English dub this time

Because god damn some of those characters are going to be hard to match

First one was decent enough with good acting from Celeste, Togami, and a few others. Makoto, Sakura, and SPOILERS, not so much.

PK Gaming

I hope SDR2 actually has a decent English dub this time

Because god damn some of those characters are going to be hard to match

Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed the DR1 english dub. It had a solid mix of veteran actors / newcomers, which gave it a strong quality and kept the experience fresh. I mean we didn't get the ideal Monokuma (he'd have to sound like Winnie the Pooh or Mickey Mouse to convey the same idea) but it was solid voice cast for the most part. They didn't really need to work that hard to convey the same feeling that the Japanese version gave out.

THAT SAID, it's going to be quite difficult to do this in the sequel. SDR2 had a superstar lineup + some clever voice casting regarding the voice actors themselves. There are tons of clever voice actor/character combination that end up accenting the experience. Heck, the director specifically requested for certain characters to have certain voice actors. Yikes.

EDIT: For the love of god, when SDR2 hits don't research the voice actors.

PK Gaming

Huh? Assuming I am thinking of the right SPOILERS
(Real Junk)
, I thought SPOILER's dub was excellent.

Word

"That person's" voice acting in the final case was pretty solid, save for 1-2 issues. Their breakdown in the final case was incredible.

Squire

Banned
Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed the DR1 english dub. It had a solid mix of veteran actors / newcomers, which gave it a strong quality and kept the experience fresh. I mean we didn't get the ideal Monokuma (he'd have to sound like Winnie the Pooh or Mickey Mouse to convey the same idea) but it was solid voice cast for the most part. They didn't really need to work that hard to convey the same feeling that the Japanese version gave out.

THAT SAID, it's going to be quite difficult to do this in the sequel. SDR2 had a superstar lineup + some clever voice casting regarding the voice actors themselves. There are tons of clever voice actor/character combination that end up accenting the experience. Heck, the director specifically requested for certain characters to have certain voice actors. Yikes.

EDIT: For the love of god, when SDR2 hits don't research the voice actors.

That's how most works composed with ensemble casts work. They're best experienced with prior knowledge of the actors. I hope they can get it right. I did like the DR1 dub, ultimately, but it sounds like SDR2 really deserves an all-in casting.

I like this bit about Hinata being snarky. Sounds like my kind of guy.

PK Gaming

That's how most works composed with ensemble casts work. They're best experienced with prior knowledge of the actors. I hope they can get it right. I did like the DR1 dub, ultimately, but it sounds like SDR2 really deserves an all-in casting.

I like this bit about Hinata being snarky. Sounds like my kind of guy.

Fingers crossed!

Yeah, Hinata is fantastic. Outright one of the best characters in the game (which is rare for a VN protagonist)

He's a massive improvement from Makoto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom