• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

The Persona 3 Movie really cemented the fact that Makoto is my favorite character in the entire series. So I have a question that has been probably asked before, but Who is your favorite character in the entire series PersonaGAF?

I really like FeMC, but short of her it's probably Kanji.

Alright guys, Ive finally finished my Nanako drawing.

hmh9o1hkb2z8mb3fg.jpg

r7hkr04e30knfnnfg.jpg

What do you guys think?

Pics_nao

Just booted up my old save for P3P. Completely forgot how fucking awesome The Battle For Everyone's Souls is. Easily the best theme between P3 and P4.

Now I need to hear the remixed P1 ost and EP's

Swedesu

But he's right!

Dammit, you're kind of right. She does hit her stride after coming back in December and her S.Link is great as is her development during the Answer.

However I did enjoy her shenanigans before that as well, so I would not completely agree with the notion that she is without her merit at the start.

hmh9o1hkb2z8mb3fg.jpg

What do you guys think?

I think that you're definitely improving!

PK Gaming

Yu Narukami

tumblr_mz3lxsQIOk1spdy36o5_250.jpg

WHAT AN ORIGINAL AND WELL THOUGHT OUT CHARACTER CHOICE. NOBODY'S EVER SAID THIS BEFORE

NOBODY

But seriously, Yu Narukami is pretty rad. I think a lot of my affection for him stems from the fact that he's the protagonist of my favorite game ever. But wait, there's more! Yu Narukami has got to be one of the funnest playable protagonists ever. His dialogue choices ranged from fun to downright wacky. I mean how many protagonists let you do this, or this, or this? Yu was pretty much an outlet for the players wackiest ideas; more often than not, he was capable of doing or saying something that completely subverted your expectations (like in the infamous group date cafe event). A large part of his appeal comes from the fact that he's incredibly flexible. Sure, he can be incredibly cool and badass when the time calls for it, but he can be pretty silly and random as well(his obsession with CATS is cute). His relationships are surprisingly well developed for a self insert character, and his interactions with the cast are very enjoyable (Yosuke, Teddie, Adachi, Nanako and Dojima come to mind). You get to do all sorts of things with Yu in P4 (date, hang out with your guy friends during valentines day, etc) and his demeanor makes those events more enjoyable. Incidentally, I'm a sucker for Katanas and Lightning based combat, and Yu manages to specialize in both of those.

In regards to his different interpretations (Yu Narukami [anime] and Souji Seta [manga]) i'm actually fond of both of them. They differ in characterization, and how they approach the core issues of his character (ie: loneliness and relationships), but they both manage to be gratifying in their own way).

So overall he's just a cool, entertaining and enjoyable character.

ϟ

I think you're reading an awful lot into the P4 protagonist that's not really there. Many of those choices are just that--choices. He's an ephemeral nothing and everything, and to that end I don't think it's really fair to count him as a character.

I think you're reading an awful lot into the P4 protagonist that's not really there. Many of those choices are just that--choices. He's an ephemeral nothing and everything, and to that end I don't think it's really fair to count him as a character.

I like his portray in the anime, and that they basically made his script from choices you can select in the game. I think they made a really fun character from that,

hmh9o1hkb2z8mb3fg.jpg

What do you guys think?

Very good imporvment there. I see a small problem with shadows in the upper part of the head of Nanako's bangs (the shadowing feels a little mechanic, but with some practice im sure it will feel more natural, dont worry because it's tricky until you get the hang on it) and the skirt (I think the shadow would go better in the right, not in the left). Maybe also add some thin shadow in all the right side of her left. Of course thats if the light comes a little bit from the center left.
All and all, is pretty good, and I like a lot how you added texture to her skirt, very nice touch.
Keep the good work! :D

I think that you're definitely improving!

Thanks man. Ill continue to take baby steps to improve further.

Very good imporvment there. I see a small problem with shadows in the upper part of the head of Nanako's bangs (the shadowing feels a little mechanic, but with some practice im sure it will feel more natural, dont worry because it's tricky until you get the hang on it) and the skirt (I think the shadow would go better in the right, not in the left). Maybe also add some thin shadow in all the right side of her left. Of course thats if the light comes a little bit from the center left.
All and all, is pretty good, and I like a lot how you added texture to her skirt, very nice touch.
Keep the good work! :D

Ha, yeah, I noticed the shadow on the skirt once i posted the image. It should definitely be on the right. Ive always found shadowing a bit tricky, but ill continue to work on it.

Thanks for the feedback.

PK Gaming

With all due respect, you completely missed my point. I like him because of those choices. I like him because you get to do those things.With Yu, I take into account the experience of playing as the character. It's the same for people who like FeMC or Makoto.

Plus, he actually receives a fair bit characterization in the anime, P4A and manga, so it's not really fair to he's a non character, especially when his characterization in the manga and anime explicitly draw from his dialogue choices.

Thanks man. Ill continue to take baby steps to improve further.

Ha, yeah, I noticed the shadow on the skirt once i posted the image. It should definitely be on the right. Ive always found shadowing a bit tricky, but ill continue to work on it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yep, I also did. Is much harder on humans than normal objects, but I tried to look a lot to anime or drawings with simple one tone shadowing to get the hang of it more and more.

With all due respect, you completely missed my point. I like him because of those choices. I like him because you get to do those things.With Yu, I take into account the experience of playing as the character. It's the same for people who like FeMC or Makoto.

Plus, he actually receives a fair bit characterization in the anime, P4A and manga, so it's not really fair to he's a non character, especially when his characterization in the manga and anime explicitly draw from his dialogue choices.
I think that's fair to like the choices given to you, but I disagree it grants him characterization in P4, as it's not possible to know how he actually would act in any given situation when the choices are entirely your own. And for the record I would disagree with anyone considering the P3 protagonists characters as well.

As far as adaptations go, they differ but were amalgamations built from the same shallow skeleton and yet arrived at very different solutions, so I don't think it's fair to work backwards from those and reinterpret the protagonist under their light. You mentioned loneliness as part of Yu's character, but this never actually comes across in P4 at all--this was more a product of the adaptations building off of the gameplay than anything else. Remember: there is no character in Persona 4 named Yu Narukami. This is a retroactive invention, and I would consider any meaningful characterization this as well.

And I found Arena Yu to be an incredibly boring character, so I don't have much good to say there, but that's just my opinion on the matter.

Menome

Yu Narukami

I liked my Yu. He was never afraid to do something silly like the 'Miss' Yasogami contest, but was serious when he needed to be. However, he would always do his best to pull a fast one on Yosuke whenever he could (Dashing for the man-chair at the Date Café and then asking him awkward questions).

Yep, I also did. Is much harder on humans than normal objects, but I tried to look a lot to anime or drawings with simple one tone shadowing to get the hang of it more and more.

Yeah, im just saving a bunch of anime pictures with shadowing to my computer now. I'll definitely study these later on.

I might just add a new layer to nanako and make it completely black, then erase the areas where the shadows wouldn't be shown. Sounds a bit backwards, but it might make a good exercise.

Swedesu

Yep, that's what I figured.

After the rather silly long wait for Arena I really have no sympathy for them, and hopefully this means Europe gets Ultimax on a reasonable date.

Edit* As you just said.

PK Gaming

I think that's fair to like the choices given to you, but I disagree it grants him characterization in P4, as it's not possible to know how he actually would act in any given situation when the choices are entirely your own. And for the record I would disagree with anyone considering the P3 protagonists characters as well.

Wait wait wait wait, hold on a minute. When did I ever say his dialogue choices added to his characterization? P4 Yu is a blank slate character. That was never in dispute.
PK Gaming said:
A large part of his appeal comes from the fact that he's incredibly flexible. Sure, he can be incredibly cool and badass when the time calls for it, but he can be pretty silly and random as well (his obsession with CATS is cute)
I was merely referring to how his dialogue choices were varied, which in turn allowed him to come across differently as well (ie: Okina event with Yosuke and Kanji). This is distinct from say, Makoto, who mostly had the sameish dialogue choices throughout the entire game. The cat comment was joke based on that one quest in P4 that was given by protagonist.

Green Mamba said:
As far as adaptations go, they differ but were amalgamations built from the same shallow skeleton and yet arrived at very different solutions, so I don't think it's fair to work backwards from those and reinterpret the protagonist under their light You mentioned loneliness as part of Yu's character, but this never actually comes across in P4 at all--this was more a product of the adaptations building off of the gameplay than anything else.

Except I made it pretty clear that loneliness was only a part of Yu Narukami and Souji Seta's character. Not the blank slate protagonist from Persona 4. I am talking about 2 distinct entities here (hence why I mentioned them in a separate paragraph). There is nothing to interpret or misinterpret with the P4 protagonist, because he isn't a character. When I talk about Yu Narukami, I am referring to a general version of his character. A combination of Persona 4 arena and the anime (and some elements of the original game). I am fully aware of the fact that there isn't a definitive version of his character from Persona 4. However, there is a lot of info that, when all of it is taken into consideration, can give a specific impression of what he's like. Those impressions, however, aren't facts. They're just how he seems to me in light of the information I know. They're still not confirmed facts and I never intended pass them off as such. So while it might be disingenuous for me to tie Yu Narukami to the game, I don't think it's unreasonable to do so. I'm allowed to call him cool, mysterious or whatever. Even Hashino has done that.

I'm honestly pretty disappointed right now, because I do not want to be misrepresented as what you have made me out to be.

As someone who experienced the Arena delay, this can only be good news. Give Ultimax to the guys that published P4G in Europe.

Updated nanako with her shadow counter part.

Swedesu

As someone who experienced the Arena delay, this can only be good news. Give Ultimax to the guys that published P4G in Europe.

Well we had to wait for Golden for 3 months so I'm personally hoping Atlus themselves are putting out Ultimax here.

Bigger chance for a simultaneous release that way, even if it might mean it's digital only.

PK Gaming

Alright, I get you now, we were arguing past each other, sorry about that. I may have taken your first post more seriously than it called for. And I just flat out misread the loneliness bit. I won't argue the finer points here, I'll just call it in your favor.

In retrospect, I probably should have made a simple post

No hard feelings

Yeah, im just saving a bunch of anime pictures with shadowing to my computer now. I'll definitely study these later on.

I might just add a new layer to nanako and make it completely black, then erase the areas where the shadows wouldn't be shown. Sounds a bit backwards, but it might make a good exercise.

Have you thought of using clipping masks? The come extremely handy for doing shadows on the color layers.

Well we figured out why Persona 4 Arena was taken down form EU PSN
ATLUS has taken back the distribution rights back for Persona 4 Arena from Zen United

Thats good to hear for us european.
If only they would use deep sivler again like Catherine for european distributor for all atlus games it would be perfect,

OK PGaf, how bout lets do a tougher topic. Is there a Persona character you went in expecting to dislike or even hate, but you grew to like them a lot?

Reiji Kido, I hated you in P1 for a good part of a decade, but I FINALLY went and got you as a party member, now you are my 3rd favorite character in P1. Seriously though dude, put a damn undershirt on.

Labrys, when you were first revealed in P4A, I was one of your active haters, saying this is the kind of shit that shouldn't be in Persona. Well, I am sure everyone here knows how much I have turned around on this character.

KIBOSH

I was actually expecting to dislike Kanji at first because I used to hate "punk" characters (although you wouldn't be able to tell nowadays, lol), but then I saw that he was both the funniest and most warmhearted character in the game, and now he's my favourite member of the P4 cast.

Since I've been lucky enough to go into the Persona games more-or-less blind, I didn't really know any of the characters going in. That said, I initially didn't like Junpei because I thought he was going to be a very standard, boring cliché of a character. By the time I had finished P3FES, he was my second favorite character. I can't recall having a similar feeling about a P1 or P4 character... maybe Chie, but I warmed to her pretty much right away.

Soma

Oh man I thought I would haaaaaaaate Nanako before playing P4 because I usually find child characters in games annoying.

Completely destroyed my expectations several hours into the game and became one of my favorite characters in the entire series.

OK PGaf, how bout lets do a tougher topic. Is there a Persona character you went in expecting to dislike or even hate, but you grew to like them a lot?

Kanji. He eventually became my favorite character in P4.

And also Aigis.. I'm not that fan of androids and, at first, I didn't like her worshipping Makoto, it was kinda cheesy. But in the answer and in P4A, I ended up liking her personality a lot. I even cried. lol

I went into the RPGs with only Arena experience and I didn't dislike anyone there, so there's really no one I can say I expected to dislike but grew on.

Hi, Wildcard... ers!

I'm new here but I've been following this thread a long time ago (well, not THAT long, maybe for some weeks or so), so I want to be welcomed as a star!

Right, that's not the best way to make an entrance.
I'm a huge fan of Persona, especially for its GREAT characters like Maya or Kanji. My favorite one would be Persona 3 Portable, of course! Hamuko (?) is awesome, she DESERVES to be canon.

If I had to answer that last question ("characters you expected to HATE but soon grew on you") I'd say Yosuke. I mean, I HATED HATED HATED Junpei, so I thought its expy would be the same. I was wrong. <3 <3

Yosuke's not the best character (he's HORRIBLY portrayed in that mountain-camping-trip-thing) but I like him. P4 Bromance is best romance.

Nimby

Banned
I hated Junpei when he started that whole envy shit. Then he got drastically better towards the end of the game. I also thought Aigis was a bit out of place at the beginning, but like Junpei she really opens up towards the end.

Hi, Wildcard... ers!

I'm new here but I've been following this thread a long time ago (well, not THAT long, maybe for some weeks or so), so I want to be welcomed as a star!

Welcome welcome. We've gotten so many new purse owners recently :D

Nimby

Banned

Nanako.webm

Shadow Nanako.wav

What do you guys think?

You've definitely improved. Shading is bit standard and generic though, especially on her clothes. There should be more wrinkles on her shirt and as a result more shadows on her clothing. I struggle with this too; I find it hard to create natural looking poses and shading, but it just takes practice. So keep practicing, and it looks good too :)

Took me a while to figure out why you posted this.

Hi, Wildcard... ers!

Right, that's not the best way to make an entrance.
I'm a huge fan of Persona, especially for its GREAT characters like Maya or Kanji. My favorite one would be Persona 3 Portable, of course! Hamuko (?) is awesome, she DESERVES to be canon.

If I had to answer that last question ("characters you expected to HATE but soon grew on you") I'd say Yosuke. I mean, I HATED HATED HATED Junpei, so I thought its expy would be the same. I was wrong. <3 <3

Yosuke's not the best character (he's HORRIBLY portrayed in that mountain-camping-trip-thing) but I like him. P4 Bromance is best romance.

Welcome!
BTW Is that an Alaska avatar?

arue

At first I thought I'd hate Shinjiro because he looks shady and I didn't care much about him (P3 spoilers)
even after he's dead.

But, after doing his social link with FeMC, he becomes one of my facorite characters in P3.

I think I wound up liking Yukiko more than I expected. At first she's pretty distant in her interactions with you, but she winds up being pretty cool.

I still hate Labrys. I can't deal with the voice.

As for a reverse situation, I really thought the Yumi Ozawa social link was going to be fun, but then it turned into, well, a bunch of drama. I wouldn't say I hate her, but the whole thing was just... ughh...

Edit: Oh, and Ai Ebihara, too! At first I was like "ugh, man, fuck this," but it turned out to be a pretty enjoyable social link and character, despite some of the melodrama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom