• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm let's see...

Favorite overall: Yukari. Her growth (including The Answer) was something I really enjoyed. She didn't appear very trope-y to me and she has such a wonderful arc with the player-character. I think TrueSelf wrote a mini-essay once that encompasses her greatness, I should look that up...

Favorite S. Link: Tough call, but maybe the Hermit from P3 (Maya) or Rise's. I think both spoke to me (in different ways, obviously) and I just kept wanting to keep reading more. I really enjoyed Akinari's from P3 as well. Argh too many choices!

Not Terrible Character After All?: Junpei. He was the opposite of Yukari for me. Super trope-y, horndog, unfunny(?) class clown, slacker. But then I played the entire game. And he wasn't so terrible after all! I can say with confidence that he is indeed, da man.

Menome

I was led to believe that teddie was going to be an annoying as hell character, but he turned out to be okay. The first couple of encounters with him were a bit grating, but from the point
he took the suit off
, he ended up providing some genuine laughs.

I was led to believe that teddie was going to be an annoying as hell character, but he turned out to be okay. The first couple of encounters with him were a bit grating, but from the point
he took the suit off

I'm a bit the opposite on that, personally

he took the suit off

mkEh4eC.jpg

NO-ONE CARED WHO I WAS UNTIL I
TOOK OFF THE SUIT

OK PGaf, how bout lets do a tougher topic. Is there a Persona character you went in expecting to dislike or even hate, but you grew to like them a lot?

Reiji Kido, I hated you in P1 for a good part of a decade, but I FINALLY went and got you as a party member, now you are my 3rd favorite character in P1. Seriously though dude, put a damn undershirt on.

Labrys, when you were first revealed in P4A, I was one of your active haters, saying this is the kind of shit that shouldn't be in Persona. Well, I am sure everyone here knows how much I have turned around on this character.

KIBOSH
Kanji. Before I played Persona 4, I saw his design, and was like, "look at this stereotypical hardass". I thought he was going to be a huge tough guy who's says Tch a lot and is too cool for everything. Luckily he ended up joining the league of extraordinary bros alongside Yosuke and Junpei.

You've definitely improved. Shading is bit standard and generic though, especially on her clothes. There should be more wrinkles on her shirt and as a result more shadows on her clothing. I struggle with this too; I find it hard to create natural looking poses and shading, but it just takes practice. So keep practicing, and it looks good too :)

Took me a while to figure out why you posted this.

Thanks dude. I'll put an emphasis on shading and wrinkles in my next drawing.

Moonlight

Banned
Labrys is queen of the pile. Thought I would hate her, and for a little bit, I did. But I really came around on her design and her character after playing through P4A. Actually thought she executed a lot of things about the 'android girl' concept better than Aigis did. I don't know what happened, but at some point I really began endearing her, not just enduring.

I don't really have anything to say on P3. Generally, the characters that I liked I kept liking, and the characters I didn't, I just... didn't. I guess I could say Mitsuru, whom I liked, but thought of as fairly... one-note, for lack of a better term. Yukari and Junpei were majorly down to earth characters with down to earth problems, but Mitsuru just struck me as larger than life. She legitimately felt like a cartoon character (I mean, she is, but still) at times. Not to say that I didn't like her, but I didn't find much to get invested about her. But still, I think
her father's death and subsequent bond with Yukari
really helped ground the character for me, and give me something to latch onto, and of course, I liked her portrayal in P4A, too.

I think I had good first impressions of most P4 characters, particularly the main cast, as I felt they did a really solid job introducing them all, but if I had to pick anyone, it'd be Teddie. Had very low expectations as far as mascot characters went, and I still think they tripped up a few times on the line between 'charming' and 'annoying as heck', but I really was surprised how much I liked Teddie and how quickly it happened. The bear puns were a quick route to my heart I guess, haha.

Ai is a good example, though. Didn't like her at all at first. Then grew to totally appreciate and dig her character as I peeled away her SLink. Now, she's one of my favourite characters, and I think the terrible impression I had of her at the beginning actually adds a lot to that, haha.

And then there's Ayane, whom I never really gave a chance, but despite my hang-ups with her character, I really can't find anything to hate about her. Her Social Link isn't amazing, but it's still good, and something I found personally relatable. I don't really regret picking Yumi over her all the time, but I can say my first impression was a bit unfair.

I think, if you asked the opposite question, if there was a character that I thought I'd love, but didn't, I think that would be an easier question. Because I really have only one answer for that, and that's Naoto. Naoto had every ingredient for a favourite of mine. She had a killer design (still my favourite of P4, honestly), a cool personality, and a neat introduction, but... eh. Didn't end up liking her quite as much as I expected. She didn't add much to the investigation team angle despite the hype, and I never really bought into her dilemma. And I think everything I figured out after the fact, like pretty much anything to do with romance with her, skeeved me out pretty hard. I can think of elements of Naoto that I really like, I just don't think it comes together that well.

And I mean, I don't hate her or anything, but I certainly don't think of her as compelling a character as pretty much every other main cast member.

Favorite character? It's between P3MC, Yukari (best waifu) and Yosuke (best bro).

Social Link? Hmm, I really liked Mutatsu, Mamoru, Ai and Shu.

I also seem to dislike the robots. Labrys and Metis' voices are just sooooo annoying I can't stand them, and I kinda felt that Aigis was forced into the player near the end of the game. But that's just me. :p

Also, PQ seems to have gotten a 8/9/9/9. How's that compared to the other Persona games?

I don't if it has been posted but: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/27/persona-4-arena-ultimax-dlc-includes-story-mode-first-game/

For character I thought I'd hate but ended up really liking it has to be Mutatsu. Took me the longest time to find the Tower in P3 and when I finally did I was like, "Really?" But it ended up being one of my favorite S.Links in that game.

Lunar15

Most people I know outside of GAF did not like Junpei. I really don't get why. Sure, he's a moody jerk in the first half, but he has a decent arc and his dialogue is pretty funny in my opinion. I think I find Yosuke more relatable, but I like Junpei's arc better. They are two very different characters.

Lunar15

In other news, I join PersonaArt GAF. I really never draw and I've only recently started (probably due to persona art gaf). Just to start learning shading, I decided to go off of one of my favorite Soejima designs because it has some fun shading in it and a relatively simple shape/design.

jM88NY7YoGQLc_e.jpg

It's not really much of anything, just copying what I'm seeing. I learned a lot from doing it though, and soon I'll be able to actually show my own original stuff.

Soejima art is fun to imitate because he has such a clean style with very good shading. It's a good jumping point.

In other news, I join PersonaArt GAF. I really never draw and I've only recently started (probably due to persona art gaf). Just to start learning shading, I decided to go off of one of my favorite Soejima designs because it has some fun shading in it and a relatively simple shape/design.

It's not really much of anything, just copying what I'm seeing. I learned a lot from doing it though, and soon I'll be able to actually show my own original stuff.

That's beary nice ^_^

jM88NY7YoGQLc_e.jpg

Soejima art is fun to imitate because he has such a clean style with very good shading. It's a good jumping point.

That how we all start. Keep going!

Dantis

That is some absolutely amazing lineart.

Soejima's PQ work is (technically at the very least) really great.

Alright guys, Ive finally finished my Nanako drawing.

hmh9o1hkb2z8mb3fg.jpg

r7hkr04e30knfnnfg.jpg

What do you guys think?

Definite improvement. What size are you drawing at? I draw pretty huge images and then shrink them down a lot (Generally 6k high) Really helps me get things more precise.

jM88NY7YoGQLc_e.jpg

Ha! Very cool.

I should try drawing some traditional art of Persona sometime. I've never even attempted it.

Definite improvement. What size are you drawing at? I draw pretty huge images and then shrink them down a lot (Generally 6k high) Really helps me get things more precise.

Oh yeah, this is a great tip, I also draw them at high resolutions and then shrink them.
What size brushes do you usually use for drawing, Dantis?

Cheers Dantis. I do the exact same thing, start off large and then shrink. I usually draw on a 2k by 2k pixel canvas.

ive taken a strong liking to brush size 3 with 100% hardness.

Levito

Banned
Realizing the saying I couldn't pick my favorite characters was crap:

Yukari, Kanji, Mitsuru, Yosuke, Yukiko

(I do really love almost all of them though)

abrack08

I like Yukari as a character, but I remember not liking her S.Link very much. She's still probably my second favorite girl after Chie.

I never forgave Ken for
Shinji
, and he just seemed a bit boring in general... And I never used him in battle. I don't hate him, but he's my least favorite main character,

Is anyone picking up Mind=Zero today?
Read so many bad impressions of it, even though I was tempted I didn't give in. It was either that, or Watch_Dogs, SAO: HF should be shipping either tmrw or thurs and I picked fast shipping. Don't have the time or money to get anything else this month... But I'd love to hear impressions from you guys, if anyone does buy it. I hear that it tries to be persona, but it ends up falling short, and on a cliffhanger too apparently.

PK Gaming

buddha0991 said:
OK PGaf, how bout lets do a tougher topic. Is there a Persona character you went in expecting to dislike or even hate, but you grew to like them a lot?

Teddie. Teddie for sure.

I don't think I would have liked Teddie at all if
he hadn't grown a human body. After obtaining his human body/Persona, he goes from being a typical mascot character (completely separate from the rest of the team) to a person struggling to find a place in the world. Seeing him slowly integrate with human society was a treat, and his relationship with the group became a lot more meaningful. Suffice it to say, I really enjoyed his development from that point on.

Echoing Moonlight's sentiment about Ai Ebihara.

Dantis

Oh yeah, this is a great tip, I also draw them at high resolutions and then shrink them.
What size brushes do you usually use for drawing, Dantis?

Cheers Dantis. I do the exact same thing, start off large and then shrink. I usually draw on a 2k by 2k pixel canvas.

ive taken a strong liking to brush size 3 with 100% hardness.

I use a 3 or a 4 pixel brush for proper line art (which I very rarely do nowadays) and between 4 and 15 for sketch lines. I usually work on a 6k square, unless I want a taller or longer picture. It's always a really big canvas though.

Rise for sure. I really don't care for her design at all, and the whole pop star thing made me think "BLEH". But she ended up being one of my favourite characters, as far as personality goes.

Acid08

Banned
Read so many bad impressions of it, even though I was tempted I didn't give in. It was either that, or Watch_Dogs, SAO: HF should be shipping either tmrw or thurs and I picked fast shipping. Don't have the time or money to get anything else this month... But I'd love to hear impressions from you guys, if anyone does buy it. I hear that it tries to be persona, but it ends up falling short, and on a cliffhanger too apparently.
Yeah, impressions seemed pretty universally negative.

Teddie. Teddie for sure.

I don't think I would have liked Teddie at all if
he hadn't grown a human body. After obtaining his human body/Persona, he goes from being a typical mascot character (completely separate from the rest of the team) to a person struggling to find a place in the world. Seeing him slowly integrate with human society was a treat, and his relationship with the group became a lot more meaningful. Suffice it to say, I really enjoyed his development from that point on.

Echoing Moonlight's sentiment about Ai Ebihara.
Man, I always forget about Teddie for some reason. He is pretty great.

Heh, same answer as favorite persona character. Aigis.

I guess to elaborate

It was jarring how in the game you came back from a sunny vacation with a robot waifu. An android character completely broke the convention of the cast of quirky high school students. And as mentioned earlier, the devotion to the P3MC was laid on a little too strong. I remember looking at Tartarus floor 1, where you're supposed to pick party members, seeing the newly invited Aigis. I couldn't help but think that the dating sim element had been cracked up to 11 out of 10. I just wanted to pretend like she wasn't there, like Ken.

But she ended up surpassing my expectations. Her character arc is a story of what it really means to be alive. Most robot stories end up being about, at what point does something become truly sentient. You give a computer X amount of intelligence, is it alive now? And that debate is constantly tugged on.

That element is there in Aigis' story, but it's more like a means for her to get these reflective scenes, to convey these feelings. She doesn't develop because she's an intelligent being...because she's always has been an intelligent being. She becomes this way through experience with SEES, P3MC and with everything around her. Aigis' observations and introspection about the nature of life is the focal point, not the fact that she's an android.

It ties so well to the main theme of the story. So much that without Aigis, the ending wouldn't have been nearly as powerful.

I never forgave Ken for
Shinji

Its kinda sad, but
Shinji would eventually die due to the constant using of the supression drugs. And Ken was only a kid, he didn't understand the whole situation and Shinji didn't make any effort to explain. Shinji just said "go ahead". If there's someone to blame, it's Takaya imo.

PK Gaming

I guess to elaborate

It was jarring how in the game you came back from a sunny vacation with a robot waifu. An android character completely broke the convention of the cast of quirky high school students. And as mentioned earlier, the devotion to the P3MC was laid on a little too strong. I remember looking at Tartarus floor 1, where you're supposed to pick party members, seeing the newly invited Aigis. I couldn't help but think that the dating sim element had been cracked up to 11 out of 10. I just wanted to pretend like she wasn't there, like Ken.

But she ended up surpassing my expectations. Her character arc is a story of what it really means to be alive. Most robot stories end up being about, at what point does something become truly sentient. You give a computer X amount of intelligence, is it alive now? And that debate is constantly tugged on.

That element is there in Aigis' story, but it's more like a means for her to get these reflective scenes, to convey these feelings. She doesn't develop because she's an intelligent being...because she's always has been an intelligent being. She becomes this way through experience with SEES, P3MC and with everything around her. Aigis' observations and introspection about the nature of life is the focal point, not the fact that she's an android.

It ties so well to the main theme of the story. So much that without Aigis, the ending wouldn't have been nearly as powerful.

Well put

Incidentally, the game developers were aware of how "out of place" Aigis seemed, but defended her inclusion by saying her presence was instrumental for establishing the new "vibe" for Persona.

pariah164

Why do so many people like Yukari? I recall her being very annoying to me the last time I went through P3. (Junpei was annoying too, but that's less him and more due to who does his voice, so that's a personal thing.)

Clearly, I need to buy P3P on Vita and play through it again so I can re-evaluate my opinion.

Jintor

junpei is my vote for not terrible

i think overall i like him better than yosuke but that's because he's got a way shittier event in his life that he overcomes and also he starts off from a terrible place.

So, I was a bit bored today, so I decided to mess around with the Persona Channel site. You know the background of the site? The one with the PQ cast, logo, etc. Well, I looked at the image, and it has a nice little way of naming the image for the background. The current background is titled "p-ch_background_PQ_A_20140521.jpg" So, I decided to change "20140521" to "20140605" and it turns out ATLUS has already premade the background for when the game is out. The current one "20140521" says もうすぐ発売!which means "Releasing soon!" and the "20140605" one says "Now available!". Take a look! It's nice to see things like that being done. View: http://img.p-ch.jp/images/skin/p-ch_background_PQ_A_20140605.jpg

Why do so many people like Yukari? I recall her being very annoying to me the last time I went through P3.

Well, I guess it's because she is the main romantic interest to the protagonist.. and she played a big role in the Answer. I don't think she is annoying, but I had myself some issues with her regarding the constantly complaining about Mitsuru, it was kinda mean the way she said some things. And sometimes she appeared to be too concerned about being seen walking with you... like you aren't good enough for her... and she constantly bullies Junpei (but that was fun lol). These are some of the reasons I eventually liked Mitsuru over her.

CorvoSol

Oh, well if we're doing multiples, I'll take FeMC and Yu from 3 and 4, with Junpei, Aigis, Yosuke and Kanji for additional benefit. At first Aigis was w/e but her social link was the best part of male side, so yeah.

Sophia

I guess to elaborate

I like this post.

DryEyeRelief, I like you.

I have nothing else really to add, seeing as you captured what makes Aigis so great perfectly, and actually kinda of sum up how I feel about her too (although I didn't hate or dislike her at all to begin with...)

FluxWaveZ

Now that Persona 4 Arena Ultimax has been listed on most of the major Japanese retail sites, where are those planning on importing P4AU going to buy it from?

I'm shallow so I would pick Mitsuru for being perfect with little to no personality other than being Mary Sue.

If I had to pick somebody else, I'll pick Aigis. I do believe she was the main character's main interest because
she was there with him when he died.

Best character to date would be Elizabeth.

WAIT HOLD THE FUCK UP? ....THAT'S IT?!

p4(ps2) spoilers
im at December(12/03) where you gave to make the big decision about whether to kill namatame or let him live and redid every option possible and either get teddie leaves/nanako dies and kill namatame or let him live, teddie/leaves nanako leaves then time speeds up to where MC departs. Did...did I do something wrong or is the ending anticlimactic as fuck like that naturally

Meia

WAIT HOLD THE FUCK UP? ....THAT'S IT?!

p4(ps2) spoilers
im at December where you gave to make the big decision about whether to kill namatame or let him live and redid every option possible and either get teddie leaves/nanako dies and kill namatame or let him live, teddie/leaves nanako leaves then time speeds up to where MC departs. Did...did I do something wrong or is the ending anticlimactic as fuck like that naturally

You dun goofed.

You have to answer the set of six questions very specifically for the game to progress naturally.

In general,
question everything
is a good rule of thumb. What you're seeing is the "bad" ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom