• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

WAIT HOLD THE FUCK UP? ....THAT'S IT?!

p4(ps2) spoilers
im at December(12/03) where you gave to make the big decision about whether to kill namatame or let him live and redid every option possible and either get teddie leaves/nanako dies and kill namatame or let him live, teddie/leaves nanako leaves then time speeds up to where MC departs. Did...did I do something wrong or is the ending anticlimactic as fuck like that naturally

You did something wrong. The game continues on if you select the correct choices. If you can't figure it out on your own, I put the correct answers in order below...

----------------------

Wait a second here...
We're missing something.
Namatame's true feelings.
Something's been bothering me.
We're missing something...
Calm the hell down!

You dun goofed.

You have to answer the set of six questions very specifically for the game to progress naturally.

In general,
question everything
is a good rule of thumb. What you're seeing is the "bad" ending.

You did something wrong. The game continues on if you select the correct choices. If you can't figure it out on your own, I put the correct answers in order below...

----------------------

Wait a second here...
We're missing something.
Namatame's true feelings.
Something's been bothering me.
We're missing something...
Calm the hell down!
Bleh thanks I feel really stupid now.

I was
gonna say namatames true feelings but that felt really stupid considering you hear his other self say a bunch of stuff on tv so I chose something else lol

Meia

I was
gonna say namatames true feelings but that felt really stupid considering you hear his other self say a bunch of stuff on tv so I chose something else lol

No worries, it'll all make sense really soon. :D

Sophia

I was

If that's the case, you're going to feel really silly
once you hear Naoto's explanation. She calls attention to that fact. :p

But yeah,
it's easy to get fooled there. Avoiding the worst ending is ("Kill Namatame") is pretty easy, but most people have problems figuring out how to avoid the other ending there.

That's one of the few parts of Persona 4 that I just flat out don't like. It's not well done at all. It feels more like carefully defusing a bomb than rationally thinking something out.
"Nametame's true feelings"
is an especially bad portion that feels more like a "gotcha" than an actual reasonable thing to say in that moment.

Oh sorry, you cut the blue wire instead of the indigo one. Game is over now.
Investigation ground to a complete halt because ???

Everyone looks great, wait.....what the hell happened to you Teddie.
BnxEzlaCUAAdMXW.jpg

Sophia

That's one of the few parts of Persona 4 that I just flat out don't like. It's not well done at all. It feels more like carefully defusing a bomb than rationally thinking something out.
"Nametame's true feelings"
is an especially bad portion that feels more like a "gotcha" than an actual reasonable thing to say in that moment.

It's pretty easy to rule out a lot of the choices, actually.
For one, you can rule out any choice that ends with Namatame dead, because that's obviously the wrong answer even if you believe he's the killer. So right off the bat you can remove one choice from each dialog prompt. For another, each of the dialog choices has an answer that is contrasting the rest of the options, which is an obvious give away. Lastly "Namatame's true feelings" basically boils down to if the player has been paying attention the explanation of what Shadow Selves actually are, and if they got caught up in the heat of the moment or not.

For one, you can rule out any choice that ends with Namatame dead, because that's obviously the wrong answer even if you believe he's the killer. So right off the bat you can remove one choice from each dialog prompt. For another, each of the dialog choices has an answer that is contrasting the rest of the options, which is an obvious give away. Lastly "Namatame's true feelings" basically boils down to if the player has been paying attention the explanation of what Shadow Selves actually are, and if they got caught up in the heat of the moment or not.

Except up until this point, there have been no dialogue decisions of your own that impact how the story takes place. It's pretty easy to tell right off the bat that you shouldn't kill him, obviously, but the rest of the decisions beyond that do not communicate that they are potentially game ending.

"Nametame's true feelings" rubs me the wrong way because it comes along with other choices that are completely rational ways to defuse the situation, which is the rational response to the situation at that point after you've decided not to kill him. As mentioned above, it's not communicated that these are game ending decisions at this point. At that point, it sure seems reasonable to want to calm the party down before making any leaps in the case. But you can't do that. Choose to calm them first? You can't look into Nametame afterwards because the game is over now for some reason. Sorry, better luck next time.

Looking for the specific contrasting answer is actually what I meant by it feeling like defusing a bomb. It doesn't feel like a natural flow of rationality that way.

Yeah, I agree with you, it's really not that hard to figure out.
I chose "Namatame's true feelings" because something about his Shadow on the TV felt really off. Even then, I got the bad ending because I didn't tell Yosuke to calm the hell down lol

In any case, I can see why it would be hard for some people.

Thank you, SEGA, for rescuing ATLUS. Index Corporation has once again committed fraud, it seems, according to this news article. Two people were arrested, I believe. I may be wrong. There's a lot of kanji in this article. Here it is.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Elliot Gay ‏@RyougaSaotome 6m

Man, Atlus just barely escaped having to deal with their president getting arrested. Talk about close calls.

Elliot Gay ‏@RyougaSaotome 1m

The Nikkei article detailing the arrests here:http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNASDG28016_Y4A520C1CC0000/?n_cid=TPRN0009 … JP only.

basically this. wow.

Imagine if they were still with Index proper and SEGA didn't do the buy out.
image.php

If there's demand for the Nikkei article to be translated, I'd be happy to do it in a little bit. It's a mostly straightforward piece, but I'm not sure all of the details of the fraud have been made apparent so succinctly in one place, so it might be worth it on that front, too. It's interesting stuff what went down for sure.]

Edit: I've just been given the go-ahead to run my translation on Gematsu, so expect that in an hour or two~

todd360

Not to much longer now until persona 5 is given a grand unveiling at Sonys E3 press conference.

its gonna happen. I can feel it. Seriously though. fo sho. Have faith friends. All da ladys are gonna want to social link with me when it turns out i'm right. Only flaw in my speculation is June 9th is not a Tuesday.

Seeing PK post why he considers Yu to be his favorite got me thinking I should do the same. Hell all I did was post a gif of Mitsuru and moved on. In reality what hit me was that I talked about it before even when someone on ask.fm asked me about it, I could have at least quoted that. And hey, I'll do just that.

P3 spoilers in this post.

People tend to say she has none or little [characterization], and it's true that being extremely rich like she is makes it hard for people to relate to her situation, but hey she's sorta like a mother figure for S.E.E.S. in Persona 3 in a way. Sure Ikutsuki is the one in charge but she shows concern for the teammates at times.
She could have done a better job of letting them know exactly why she was having them fight with her though [at first]. However that's another thing, she cares enough about the shit her family was responsible for that she puts herself to the task of making up for it and cleaning up the mess, pretty determined at that.
Though in Persona 4 Arena she takes a bit of a shift to being just sudden badass leader of the Shadow Operatives, which just sorta builds up on that stuff I guess.

I like how she shows concern over you balancing your training in Tartarus and your overall academics. I also like how
she's willing to take charge over cleaning up the past Kirijo incidents, like the video shown at the Yakushima trip of the lab going haywire. Sure in the end this turned out to be edited because Ikutsuki is a grade A asspull villain heel turn kind of guy, but on the way before HAHA ITS FAKE AND YOU CAUSED THE FALL BITCHES, she was fighting in the hope of atoning. And after she gets back to her full self once Yukari Brightslaps her and then at the endgame, she's there at the end for helping in the fight with Nyx. That's the determination I really like. For more development that's really really awesome from November, Full Moon and New Moon are basically just more Mitsuru development and they're really awesome too on their own merit.Yes I said awesome twice in the same sentence but it's kinda that good.
Her social link, while not the best in the game, is a pretty fun one at first, but then gets serious and I like how it all goes down. Not the best but pretty enjoyable imo. And like I said to Inorigo recently, I like how they just overplay the whole rich bit in Arena to pretty funny levels. If she picked out that outfit for a stealth operation in the boonies like Inaba, it lines up with her security camera video where she says she doesn't know fashion and mainly wore simply what was picked out for her. So it gets pretty funny for me if I think of it in those terms. And yeah the limo as well sticks out like a sore thumb, but a limo that size is just rich on comedic levels.

So yeah, that's actually the main reason I consider her my absolute favorite character in the series, the fact I can find all of this stuff to like about her. Am I looking too much into all of this? Maybe. But you know what, I'm fine with it as that. And yeah, it's not just the looks. All of that above takes precedence over her appearance imo. Though she does indeed look very nice... >_>

Not to much longer now until persona 5 is given a grand unveiling at Sonys E3 press conference.

its gonna happen. I can feel it. Seriously though. fo sho. Have faith friends. All da ladys are gonna want to social link with me when it turns out i'm right. Only flaw in my speculation is June 9th is not a Tuesday.

I don't want it to be unveiled there

I want nothing to be said about it still, keep me in the dark Atlus! ;_;

Oh hey, my tweets!

Basically the president and his wife (apparently co-president. Didn't know that) were both arrested under suspicion of manipulating monies all over the place.

Shit like there being money exchanging hands in the books, but the company itself not actually engaging in any business transactions during that period. WHOOPS.

Squire

Banned
Good thing Sega bought Atlus. Any longer under the Index banner and Hashino would've been sharing a jail cell with a big dude named Bubba-kun.

Seeing PK post why he considers Yu to be his favorite got me thinking I should do the same. Hell all I did was post a gif of Mitsuru and moved on. In reality what hit me was that I talked about it before even when someone on ask.fm asked me about it, I could have at least quoted that. And hey, I'll do just that.

P3 spoilers in this post.

I like how she shows concern over you balancing your training in Tartarus and your overall academics. I also like how
she's willing to take charge over cleaning up the past Kirijo incidents, like the video shown at the Yakushima trip of the lab going haywire. Sure in the end this turned out to be edited because Ikutsuki is a grade A asspull villain heel turn kind of guy, but on the way before HAHA ITS FAKE AND YOU CAUSED THE FALL BITCHES, she was fighting in the hope of atoning. And after she gets back to her full self once Yukari Brightslaps her and then at the endgame, she's there at the end for helping in the fight with Nyx. That's the determination I really like.
Her social link, while not the best in the game, is a pretty fun one at first, but then gets serious and I like how it all goes down. Not the best but pretty enjoyable imo. And like I said to Inorigo recently, I like how they just overplay the whole rich bit in Arena to pretty funny levels. If she picked out that outfit for a stealth operation in the boonies like Inaba, it lines up with her security camera video where she says she doesn't know fashion and mainly wore simply what was picked out for her. So it gets pretty funny for me if I think of it in those terms. And yeah the limo as well sticks out like a sore thumb, but a limo that size is just rich on comedic levels.

So yeah, that's actually the main reason I consider her my absolute favorite character in the series, the fact I can find all of this stuff to like about her. Am I looking too much into all of this? Maybe. But you know what, I'm fine with it as that. And yeah, it's not just the looks. All of that above takes precedence over her appearance imo. Though she does indeed look very nice... >_>

I totally agree with you. Where do I sign?

contract.jpg

I'll just add that I loved how timid and naive she is when you starts to hang out with her. I wasn't expecting that at all. That's when I realized how cute she is. :3

FluxWaveZ

I'll pre-order it once it's confirmed that it's not region locked.

Yeah, I'm waiting on pre-ordering the Japanese version for that as well. Also, maybe if there's the announcement of an LE other than the PNP that I would be interested in.

Still, wondering which outlet I should go with for at least Persona 4 Dancing when that becomes available. I just have experience with Play-Asia and Amazon Japan, but I think I'm going to go with the latter.

PK Gaming

I'm...i'm not sure I agree with any of that.

I think you are seriously oversimplifying how the confrontation went down. Let's break it down, case by case:

1)
-Push the bastard in
-I can't stay here
-Wait a second here

Let's assume for the sake of argument that most players picked option 3.

2)

-We're missing something
-Leave him for the police
-This won't change anything

Wait a second, which dialogue prompt leads to Namatame's death so we can rule that one out? Furthermore, the game doesn't give you any indication that there's going to be another set of dialogue questions. Players who have been roleplaying will undoubtedly choose the option that suits them, and they're completely out of luck. Let's assume (again) that most players choose option 1.

3)

-Whether he'll kill again
-Whether revenge is right
-Namatame's true feelings
-Whether he can be tried

Once again, there's nothing here that leads to Namatame's death, so we can't rulethatt out. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that most players won't choose option 4, but that still leaves 3 valid options. The game doesn't explicitly tell you that you're trying to disarm the team here, so trying question the ramifications of revenge or wondering if he'll kill again don't seem like game ruining answers (but they are!). Sure, the 3rd option is technically the most correct option, but the game doesn't provide you with a strong enough impetus for choosing it. Why can't we discuss things in a non-sequential order like it's been for the entire game? Why does it to have to be a in a strict sequence now.

4)

-Why he's scared
-Something's bothering me
-He can still repent
-I actually don't know

You can rule out options 3 and 4, but 1 and 2 basically lead to the similar conclusions. It's completely ridiculous to get punished here. I'd rather wonder "why he's scared" than say something as nebulous as "something's bothering me."

5)
-... I got nothing
-He could escape via the TV
-We're missing something

You can rule out option 1 for obvious reasons, and 2 if you think about it. 5's a freebie, but the first 2-4 aren't.

6)
-I can't do it
-"Calm the hell down!"
-I'm sorry

YOU ARE PUNISHED FOR NOT TELLING YOSUKE TO SHUT UP. In all due fairness, most players are probably going to want to pick the option that lets you shut down Yosuke's sorry ass, but there is absolutely no indication that you can get punished for choosing something else.

And that's the problem; the margin of error is minuscule. The dialogue options seem obvious in retrospect because hindsight is 20-20, but in reality the entire sequence is an absolute a mess because game is completely ambiguous here. You've been conditioned to roleplay for the entire game without significant punishment, so those strict dialogue options completely screw you up. Even your logic (pick the option that is contrasted with the rest) is faulty because it assumes the player is aware of the dialogue choice test. I chose option 2 in the 2nd set of questions because I tried to defuse the situation. I had no idea the game was forcing me into some ridiculous do or die situation.

So with that in mind, in order to succeed you need to:

1) Have tacit awareness of the sudden shift into a game defining sequence that you aren't conditioned (or not, and get lucky)
2) Not roleplay if it conflicts with a right answer (see #1)
3) Maintain maximum concentration throughout the entire sequence (you've been overwhelmed with a number of events, so its understandable if you overlook or miss an option)
4) Don't make a mistake, not even once.

Completely ridiculous, if you ask me.

FluxWaveZ

Oh hey, my tweets!

Basically the president and his wife (apparently co-president. Didn't know that) were both arrested under suspicion of manipulating monies all over the place.

Shit like there being money exchanging hands in the books, but the company itself not actually engaging in any business transactions during that period. WHOOPS.

So they basically continued to do what they were apparently doing back when Atlus was part of them. Smart.

Indeed, it's a good thing that Atlus became a separate entity before all this. Then again, they got separated in the first place because of the bankruptcy.

Nikkei Article said:
Index Corporation's Co-President Arrested on Suspicions of Fraud

Index Corporation, a financial corporation based in Setagaya, Tokyo, was recently investigated due to
their shady practices in game-related conetent. The main suspect, co-president and chairman Masami Ochiai (54)
and his wife, president Yoshimi Ochiai, (48) were both arrested this morning.
Their arrests follow a recent investigation by the Tokyo District Public Prosecutor's Office,
which had been doing a special financial investigation on the company.

They have been charged with window-dressing, a financial crime. To those familiar with this, it is the act of
disguising a loan by taking money in exchange for the use of business assets, typically done to sell stocks with larger losses.
It also appears on the financial statements that the company has more profits than what they really have.

According to corporate financial statements, over 18.3 billion yen has been acquired over the years, with 400
million yen being traded by the company.

In July 2013, Index Corporation entered debt. After an investigation was done, it was revealed that they had
entered debt due to window-dressing, and was then forced to auction off multiple companies they had acquired,
in order to avoid being delisted by the JASDAQ. Later that month, it was announced they were indeed delisted,
due to being unable to reclaim said funds.

Prosecutors are claiming that their debt was mainly caused by the act of window-dressing. Co-president Ochiai Masami (54)
has denied these allegations, by stating that what he is doing is "not illegal" in the Nihon Keizai Shinbun.

Index Corporation was established in 1995, under the name Index Holdings. The company was previously listed on the JASDAQ,
but was delisted following a claim for civil rehabilitation in the Tokyo District Court last year. In September 2013,
they were purchased by SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS.

It was expected that they would recover, due to the management of SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS, but in April 2014,
the Tokyo District Court issued a repeal of Index Corporation's claim for civil rehabilitation, causing them
to file for bankruptcy.

Here is text version of the translation, with a few modifications. I was going to edit my previous post again, but it wouldn't allow me to.

Maybe there'd be a chance if P5 was a PS4 game. I doubt we'll hear anything about PS3 or Xbox 360 in E3 this year. Next gen is where the money's at.

FluxWaveZ

Here is text version of the translation, with a few modifications. I was going to edit my previous post again, but it wouldn't allow me to.

and his wife, (48) who prefers to stay unnamed for legal reasons

Haha. Oh, you mean "Masami Ochiai"? What a weird thing to say when her name's been out there forever.

Wait, no, that's totally wrong. Who is "Yoshimi Ochiai"?

arue

I don't really get it. The couple were window-dressing for profit and then got into debt because of it? I thought the reason that people are doing fraud is because they don't want to lose money. Anyway, I'm glad that Atlus is not part of Index anymore.

I love this. It was a lock screen wallpaper on my phone for a long time.

I don't really get it. The couple were window-dressing for profit and then got into debt because of it? I thought the reason that people are doing fraud is because they don't want to lose money. Anyway, I'm glad that Atlus is not part of Index anymore.

I love this. It was a lock screen wallpaper on my phone for a long time.

They did window-dressing to gain more profits, but it flipped back on them, is what I've heard. Companies began finding out that the profits were sold for more than they were worth. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom