• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzy

Banned
I beat the final boss so now I'm just finishing off the game for the True Ending.

I've gotta say I really liked this game. The killer was a little surprising until I had to pick who it was and then it seemed obvious.

Now let's see how the ending is!

And right now, he already knows who are going to appear in P4AU from the P3 side so I need some excuses if he asks why P3MC and Shinji don't appear in the game.

Tell him that P4AU is still a P4 game (just look at the title), and so there's only one protagonist in P4 and that's Yu Narukami. Atlus didn't want to share the spotlight.
You could tell that in the end of P3, the P3MC saved the world and went home, just as like the P1MC did, so he is just "away" of the situation.

And for Shinji, you could say that he is probably out due to the same reasons Yuka-tan, Junpei and Ken were out in P4A... Atlus is probably saving him to another future installment or DLC and play dumb just as it is. lol.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm coming to the following conclusions:

-Auto-spells aren't worth their weight in on Party members that aren't you.
-Matarukaja worth putting on Teddie?
-Black Frost + 2 Gold Hands = GG EXP. 10,000EXP a pop for mind-charging with auto-attack up/defense up boosts and a Megidola doing 600 damage to them? Yes, plz.

I think I may have to grab Yukiko and grind with this if I can find those suckers on floor 9. :/

LX_Theo

Banned

-Black Frost + 2 Gold Hands = GG EXP. 10,000EXP a pop for mind-charging with auto-attack up/defense up boosts and a Megidola doing 600 damage to them? Yes, plz.

I think I may have to grab Yukiko and grind with this if I can find those suckers on floor 9. :/

I like auto-spells for grinding. Any significant battle makes then too short lived to the point where they're a waste of a slot. Even on MC, it feels, to me, as though they're not all that good since I rather not select a Persona based on that.

DIE

FOR

MY

SHIP.

pls

im-on-a-boat.gif

PK Gaming

Uh, yes?

It's not like you're going miss Poison Skewer (lol)

TheSeks

Uh, yes?

It's not like you're going miss Poison Skewer (lol)

I was honestly gonna replace auto- instead of Poison Skewer. One last three turns as a buff. The other is able to "debuff" as a chance but doesn't "waste" a slot.

Caladrius

-Auto buffs are pointless on them, indeed.
-Absolutely
- It gets hilarious on NG+ with EXP multipliers.

Am I one of the few that name the MCs with my own name when doing playthroughs?

I did for P3 because there wasn't a canon name then, while by the time I got to 4 we already had Yu Narukami. I could have used Minato Lelrisato but that was manga, Souji was manga, and Souji was struck down in favor of Yu so I never thought Minato held weight for me to name the MC that way. So in that case I used my name

Now I still do for P3 out of habit lol

Here's an idea...
Its Persona 4 Arena, so they decided to only take side characters from Persona 3.
Or, you could say...
They probably just put in the fan favorite characters.
. This might be the best, though. Say
I don't know.

Tell him that P4AU is still a P4 game (just look at the title), and so there's only one protagonist in P4 and that's Yu Narukami. Atlus didn't want to share the spotlight.
You could tell that in the end of P3, the P3MC saved the world and went home, just as like the P1MC did, so he is just "away" of the situation.

And for Shinji, you could say that he is probably out due to the same reasons Yuka-tan, Junpei and Ken were out in P4A... Atlus is probably saving him to another future installment or DLC and play dumb just as it is. lol.

Thanks for the good advice guys! Can't wait for tomorrow.

Tell him they both went out for cigarettes one day and we're all still waiting for them to come back home one day so we can all be a happy family again. ;____;

C0Cp8Gc.gif

LOL. Oh, and Pepsiman, I have a favor to ask you. In this PQ video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybEni4EESgk is there anything worth mentioning? It seems like it's some kind of Social Link thing but without benefits.

Yup. Since I have two names, I used my first name with my first surname for P3 and my second name with my second surname for P4. I don't know what I'm going to do for P5, haha.

Style

Banned
I beat the final boss so now I'm just finishing off the game for the True Ending.

I've gotta say I really liked this game. The killer was a little surprising until I had to pick who it was and then it seemed obvious.

I am surprised you made it that far without getting spoiled. The killer is often name-dropped in this thread. Anyhow, you still got a bit to go. Enjoy!

JC Lately

I did when I played Persona 3. But given the way that ended, I felt weird about doing the same thing with P4.

So I decided to take with the "Reach Out To The Truth" theme of P4 to the biggest extreme I could think of and named the protagonist John Galt.

There are few thing more funny than seeing Japanese honorifics attached to the name John Galt.

CorvoSol

I've always wanted to point the finger at Nanako in that scene, just for laughs.

Soriku

So GAF, here's a little story: Ever since I had become a fan of Persona, I've been trying to get people to watch the P4 anime, but to no succes. Luckily, I managed to get a close friend to watch both Dangan Ronpa and Persona 4 (because why not?). And he really liked both of them, so I invited him to my house and I showed him both P3 (so he could understand P4A and PQ) and P4 games. I also showed him the P4 Hiimsday comic and enjoyed it a lot because he understood the references.

Then it was kinda funny because I told him P3 appeared in P4A so he was surprised to see who made it, and after we played for awhile he said after seeing Shadow Labrys "Wouldn't it be cool if they made shadow versions of everyone playable" And then I showed him the trailer of P4AU and his reaction was awesome, (P4 spoilers)
specially since he was like "WAIT, was that Adachi?
And after that, because he only has Nintendo consoles, I showed him the PQ trailer and he was very excited to see both of the cast together, and he says he's probably gonna buy it when it launches over here. From P4 he really liked all of the characters, specially Yosuke, Narukami and Teddie. And from P3 he seemed to like Aigis and Elizabeth.

So invited him over again and tomorrow he's coming to my house. We are gonna watch the P3 movie! But I need advice: (P4 and P3 spoilers)
During his watching of P4, every time one of the fake culprits (Mitsuo, Namatame and Adachi) was caught, he always wondered why there were episodes left and I had to make excuses, but I'm pretty sure he knew there was something else anyways. And right now, he already knows who are going to appear in P4AU from the P3 side so I need some excuses if he asks why P3MC and Shinji don't appear in the game.

Tell him it's a spoiler or he'll find out later.

If he presses you further then it seems he doesn't care for spoilers, so you shouldn't care about spoiling him I guess.

I've always wanted to point the finger at Nanako in that scene, just for laughs.

I did and the game basically asks you "is that even possible?"

PK's character discussion convinced me to use Teddie for new game+. I mostly ignored him because I didn't think a second healer was needed. But in retrospect, maybe that would have been better than using Yosuke's second rate healing as backup.

I used my own name for P3. For P4 I named him Jin Takeda, after the Samurai Champloo character.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
LOL. Oh, and Pepsiman, I have a favor to ask you. In this PQ video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybEni4EESgk is there anything worth mentioning? It seems like it's some kind of Social Link thing but without benefits.

Ah, I hadn't even noticed that that mechanic was one of the ones covered in the new videos. It's pretty vague stuff. Just basically says, "When you've got some down time, why not take a walk around the school?" and then it just discusses where there are a bunch of events with individual characters you can partake with. Hard to know if it's meant to resemble any actual Social Linking stuff or if it's more like just incidental skits in something like Tales games. I'm kind of inclined to go towards the latter from what I've seen, but I suppose we'll know more next week either way.

Wish I could be of more help!

Retroactive names are not canon names as far as I'm concerned. I feel the characters should be named something original, of your own creation, as that was the original intent--these "Yu Narukami" and "Makoto Yuki" names did not exist when the games were first released.

At least, that's my feeling on the matter.

TheSeks

Another conclusion: Dekaja seems entirely pointless. It doesn't work on bosses apparently. Why the hell have I held onto it for so long?

(Hands use Evade rate up)

Oh, right. But still entirely a waste of time it seems. :/ I need boss hitters, I can nuke the entire random encounters by myself to save the parties SP with Enduring Soul and Victory Cry on all my Personae. So I guess next level up skill change for Yosuke, that's getting nuked.

Retroactive names are not canon names as far as I'm concerned. I feel the characters should be named something original, of your own creation, as that was the original intent--these "Yu Narukami" and "Makoto Yuki" names did not exist when the games were first released.

nVTRiJG.gif

P4 proswagonist at his best ^

Idk after a while you kind of get used to it. I mean after an official movie adaptation, in P3s case, and with P4 with... MULTIPLE adaptations + a sequel (Arena could be considered one) in which the characters are named, this could just be my OCD, but giving them any other name just seems wrong. Also, using my own name just wouldn't work out LOL... "names2hard4you" should be an indicative of that ahaha

Squire

Banned

Heh.

Yeah, Atlus seems to agree with you, Mamba. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Yu/Makoto don't have their names in PQ advertising, right?

So it sounds like Atlus' take on the issue is: "Look, when it's in a game, it's your call, but for films/shows/manga, the protagonist is gonna have a set name 'cause it'd be fuckin' dumb if they didn't."

Meia

Yeah, a persona with Mind Charge and a persona with any almighty spell(megido line) make grinding not something you ever need to do again as gold hands become the easiest way to get exp.

Auto-spells are iffy since they only ever last three turns, but they're not bad on the longer fights since you can front load a ton of damage early with them. In general though, you're better off figuring out a way to get one persona on the MC that has all 3 auto-ma spells on it, make sure that persona is on going into a new battle, then just swap it off and forget it's existence.

And in general you want to keep Ma-buff spells on characters, yeah. Chie gets an ability very late that puts the all the buffs on everyone at the same time, but that's very late. Having one character with one ability each is a nice thing to shoot for though. Buffing/duffing is king in these games. Sukukaja'd ally + sakunda'd enemy = missing half the time. Tarukaja'd ally + Rakunda'd enemy = doing double damage. Rakukaja's ally + Tarunda'd enemy = taking half damage. It's why Debilitate is such a strong ability since it does all three negative status on the enemy at once(only on one enemy, but for the most party you're only doing this on bosses which are solo anyway).

Heh.

Yeah, Atlus seems to agree with you, Mamba. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Yu/Makoto don't have their names in PQ advertising, right?

So it sounds like Atlus' take on the issue is: "Look, when it's in a game, it's your call, but for films/shows/manga, the protagonist is gonna have a set name 'cause it'd be fuckin' dumb if they didn't."
Yeah, I understand shows and Arena and whatever because that'd be silly as heck if he was nameless. Though I think it would have been funny if they gave the Persona 4 protagonist a different name in each one of his appearances, just for fun.

EDIT: I just looked it up, and the protagonists in PQ are both just called "Hero" on the PQ official website.

P4 proswagonist at his best ^

Idk after a while you kind of get used to it. I mean after an official movie adaptation, in P3s case, and with P4 with... MULTIPLE adaptations + a sequel (Arena could be considered one) in which the characters are named, this could just be my OCD, but giving them any other name just seems wrong. Also, using my own name just wouldn't work out LOL... "names2hard4you" should be an indicative of that ahaha
My viewpoint on it is that the original games and their rereleases are the final, ultimate arbiters of canon, and at any point that an adaptation, spinoff, or sequel differs from them, then that changed point cannot be canon. And I would include the protagonists having one particular name as one of these points.

DNAbro

I've begun a new series of HD wallpapers modeled on the ASW arcade site for Ultra Suplex Hold. I'm in the process of making them for all of the announced characters (Normal and Shadow Types), and I'm also planning to adjust the wallpapers for use as banners on the "new and improved" Twitter user pages.

Here's what I have so far!

Yosuke Hanamura

These take a little while to make - particularly the Twitter banners - so except to see them coming out in batches over the next several days. Enjoy! :D

This just became my background. Great work.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Another conclusion: Dekaja seems entirely pointless. It doesn't work on bosses apparently. Why the hell have I held onto it for so long?

Oh, right. But still entirely a waste of time it seems. :/ I need boss hitters, I can nuke the entire random encounters by myself to save the parties SP with Enduring Soul and Victory Cry on all my Personae. So I guess next level up skill change for Yosuke, that's getting nuked.

Dekaja works against bosses. Provided they've used buffs obviously.

It's better to have it on one of the MC's personae though.

TheSeks

Having one character with one ability each is a nice thing to shoot for though. Buffing/duffing is king in these games. Sukukaja'd ally + sakunda'd enemy = missing half the time. Tarukaja'd ally + Rakunda'd enemy = doing double damage. Rakukaja's ally + Tarunda'd enemy = taking half damage. It's why Debilitate is such a strong ability since it does all three negative status on the enemy at once(only on one enemy, but for the most party you're only doing this on bosses which are solo anyway).

Googling around, some people swear by Dekaja, but I swear everytime I use it on an apparent boss buff, "there is no need for this." It's like "why are you saying this is good if it's entirely pointless on bosses despite you saying you can 'wipe their buffs' with it!?"

Dekaja works against bosses. Provided they've used buffs obviously.

It's better to have it on one of the MC's personae though.

Of the five that I have fought so far, the ones that used buffs can not be Dekaja'd. Either I'm missing what constitutes as a Dekaja buff-wipe or it doesn't work on those bosses for such an early game skill. :/

Googling around, some people swear by Dekaja, but I swear everytime I use it on an apparent boss buff, "there is no need for this." It's like "why are you saying this is good if it's entirely pointless on bosses despite you saying you can 'wipe their buffs' with it!?"
There are some buffs that it can't be used on, I think the ones where it says "XXX has charged up!" or whatever. It only works on things like Tarukaja and the like.

I think the game says
Nanako isn't able to put the bodies into the TV or something like that.

Tell him it's a spoiler or he'll find out later.

If he presses you further then it seems he doesn't care for spoilers, so you shouldn't care about spoiling him I guess.

Nah, I think that if I tell him it's a spoiler he will keep wondering and wondering and he didn't want any spoilers while watching the P4 anime, so I will just tell him what the others said.
Ah, I hadn't even noticed that that mechanic was one of the ones covered in the new videos. It's pretty vague stuff. Just basically says, "When you've got some down time, why not take a walk around the school?" and then it just discusses where there are a bunch of events with individual characters you can partake with. Hard to know if it's meant to resemble any actual Social Linking stuff or if it's more like just incidental skits in something like Tales games. I'm kind of inclined to go towards the latter from what I've seen, but I suppose we'll know more next week either way.

Wish I could be of more help!

Ah, I see. I haven't played a Tales game yet so I didn't know. Thanks!

Meia

I've never really bothered with Dekaja or Dekunda in Persona. For the most part, in Persona these buffs only stack once, and if you use an opposing buff it takes off the buff permanently. If you're tarukaja'd and a boss using Tarunda, you lose Tarukaja, but you go back to normal status, not weaker. So if a boss is tarukaja'd, you can either use a Dekaja to remove it, or a Tarunda. In SMT when buffs stack to 3 or 4, this is obviously a different story.

Of course, if you keep Yosuke, it's worth keeping Dekaja on him if only for Golden Hands(since they almost always Masukaja themselves), and Yosuke being fast as hell will almost always be the first ally of yours to go, removing this. Of course, if a boss buffs himself, you could also have Yosuke(who goes first) remove it and a different ally debuff the boss on the same turn.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Of the five that I have fought so far, the ones that used buffs can not be Dekaja'd. Either I'm missing what constitutes as a Dekaja buff-wipe or it doesn't work on those bosses for such an early game skill. :/

Dekaja works on buffs that visibly end in "-kaja" and not other buff types like magic and physical charges. On the analysis screen, if a given stat is marked up by just one arrow, I believe, you can knock it down with dekaja. If it has multiple arrows, that means it's a charge and isn't affected by dekaja. It'll disappear automatically once they've used an attack that can be boosted by it, though.

I like the names, but I understand what you mean. I think they stuck pretty well though since like 75% of my rescue requests from Golden were from "Yu Narukami".

PK Gaming

I was honestly gonna replace auto- instead of Poison Skewer. One last three turns as a buff. The other is able to "debuff" as a chance but doesn't "waste" a slot.

Gah!

Auto-Rakukaja will make Teddie sturdier in random battles. Since they don't usually last for more than 3 turns, you'll be able to make use out of it. AND WHEN ARE YOU EVER GOING TO CONCEIVABLY MAKE GOOD USE OUT OF POISON SKEWER?!?!

tumblr_static_yosuke_hanumura-eek.png

You. are. KILLING. ME.

TheSeks

Dekaja works on buffs that visibly end in "-kaja" and not other buff types like magic and physical charges. On the analysis screen, if a given stat is marked up by just one arrow, I believe, you can knock it down with dekaja. If it has multiple arrows, that means it's a charge and isn't affected by dekaja. It'll disappear automatically once they've used an attack that can be boosted by it, though.

I guess that explains it, I've been trying to use it when they buff with a mind charge AND then element change. It's like "well if I can wipe your element change since you're changing your status..." but nope. :/

I guess I should just nuke it and use debuffs on another Persona if that's the case. :/

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I guess that explains it, I've been trying to use it when they buff with a mind charge AND then element change. It's like "well if I can wipe your element change since you're changing your status..." but nope. :/

I guess I should just nuke it and use debuffs on another Persona if that's the case. :/

Yeah, that's basically your only option when dealing with charges. Either guard if you think their next attack will do a number on you and/or your party members or at least apply the applicable debuffs/buff your own people. It might be a little unfair, but on the flip side, they can't wipe your physical and magic charges either. A handful will have dekaja, I believe, but that's as good as it gets for them.

...I have only just now realized the significance of the suffixes to Dekaja and Dekunda.

I like the names, but I understand what you mean. I think they stuck pretty well though since like 75% of my rescue requests from Golden were from "Yu Narukami".
That's unfortunate, because I think that takes away from the purpose of being able to see people's written names in the online features.

TheSeks

Gah!

Auto-Rakukaja will make Teddie sturdier in random battles. Since they don't usually last for more than 3 turns, you'll be able to make use out of it. AND WHEN ARE YOU EVER GOING TO CONCEIVABLY MAKE GOOD USE OUT OF POISON SKEWER?!?!

When I'm nuking things with Medium spells fused by me onto other Personae to cover 2-3 elements on each, with Victory Cry and Enduring Soul on each to where I'm one-two shotting enemies with those, and if not a Megidola (which I really need to see if I can fuse the Heavy Almighty damage...) cures that issue, it's pretty pointless for the rest of the party which is there as "deal damage to the boss and support."

See, I've played P3/4 before on PS2. (On Normal) so it isn't like this isn't the first time I've played these. But I've never honestly used buffs extensively. I've exploited enemies weaknesses and All-Out Attacks. which is probably why I've always have had issues with
Mitsuo: I can't knock his ass down to All-Out Attack abuse.

arue

...I have only just now realized the significance of the suffixes to Dekaja and Dekunda.

That's unfortunate, because I think that takes away from the purpose of being able to see people's written names in the online features.

Now that you've said it, I just realized that too. o_o

TheSeks

Oh my word.

Isn't
the shell regen damage limit to break it
supposed to be in the 600 damage range? Leveling up about 5 levels has increased my teams damage to a decent clip now but it seems that second bit has a higher than suggested damage limit. Around the internet I've head 600, which is about 2-3 attacks with boosted rounds included but even with my party supporting me buffing/attacking it doesn't seem to stop that round. :/

If the shell comes back up
it's pretty much over. Getting Fear'd on three of the party members: pretty much over.

Squire

Banned
Today I found out Michelle Ruff, Yukari's voice actress, did the creepy Good Guy doll voice in the most recent Chucky movie.

Your waifu is Chucky, Trueself.

Mmm, that Fujiko is all Mine. She really has quite the resume!

Also, lord have mercy that's the single most obnoxious intro I've ever heard. ShrimpCast? More like ChumpCast. Guy is the ripest of shitapples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom