• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzy

Banned
That was my favorite dungeon. Maybe taken on its own it isn't that great but I was glad it at least had a couple gimmicks that made it not just another reskinned same-y dungeon
I think it's just the enemies in here I can't stand. Otherwise, I don't mind the SP gimmick.

I really enjoyed The Game and The Club. The music was ace.
This response was probably the most relevant thing she's been in in quite some time

I was going to say American Reunion but then I realized that was 2 years ago...

CorvoSol

Congrats on finishing Persona 2: Innocent Sin! It was an arduous journey, but you made it to the finish line! But you know, this is just the beginning; you still have to finish Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. Like right now.

Just messing around. You're probably not going to want to touch Persona 2:EP for a long, long time (have you considered reading or watching a LP?)

Re: Gameplay

I definitely sympathize with you here; the PSP version of P2:IS is just a mess. I think you would have vastly preferred the PSX version, as the attack commands can be entered quickly. Also, battles are more challenging and the game runs smoother. And the kicker? Random encounters are effectively halved. Don't get me wrong, the PSX version of P2IS's gameplay is hardly something I would call good, but it's miles better than the PSP version.

Re: Tatsuya

You are absolutely right here. Tatsuya should not have been a silent protagonist. The dude's got the most defined backstory out of any of the other Persona protagonists, and several of his relationships are "solid" and set in stone. He vastly improves in P2:EP (to the point where he ends up being the best character, imo) but in exchange, they pass on the silent protag baton to Maya, and it ends up killing her character.

For what it's worth, EP's narrative is several times better than IS. It doesn't meander about with pointless plot threads. It's actually a lot more focused and the writing is stronger (though it suffers from... plot reuse). I actually really enjoyed EP narrative, and I have a feeling you'd enjoy it too (or at the very least, you'll like EP protagonists, such Ulala or Katsuya)

1. I think I will start Eternal Punishment after I finish the P1 manga, but I make no promises as I had an appointment last Friday which was moved to this coming Monday which will kind of throw my plans into disarray.

2. I'm kind of sad that Maya is going to be silenced in the next game, because I feel like I was finally starting to warm up to her character. I was very ambivalent toward her for much of the game, because I felt like the big sister role was covered by Yukino and the girlfriend role was squarely Lisa's to my mind. On this same subject I'm mostly torn between Lisa and Eikichi for favorite characters in the game. Probably Lisa, because I cannot stand Eikichi's plaid skirt.

abrack08

Persona 2: END OF DISC ONE, PLEASE INSERT DISC TWO

<spoilery P2IS review>

Just finished, figured I'd chime in even if I'm a couple pages too late. I agree with a majority of your complaints, but not with the same... vigor. Most of the listed flaws are almost undeniably true, I guess they just didn't bother me as much. Overall I really liked it. Not as much as P3 or P4 I guess, but I still thought it was solid.

What were the SMT IF and Raidou references? I know nothing about those games. Really the only time I was aware there was a reference was when Yukino would say "Oh, he/she helped me out a few years ago!" or whatever. Didn't seem like that many references to me, but I was probably just not aware of them.

I'm bummed Maya gets muted in EP, but glad I get to meet the "real" Tatsuya now too. It'll be weird seeing his portrait next to... words.

pan-hime

In tune of Joy's "jump around jump around jump around now"
TtoouBj.gif

In tune of Deep Breath Deep Breath's "Let it go Let it out x2, Take a deep breath"
9rBceiK.gif

In tune of Deep Breath Deep Breath's Lay low lay high x2 .....
ijjj5hK.gif

Toast?!

Sophia

That's an interesting quote. It basically means what happens in life happens, and you can either accept it and meet fate head on, or you can let it control your life and be miserable. Wonder what plot relevance it has...

Jintor

That's an interesting quote. It basically means what happens in life happens, and you can either accept it and meet fate head on, or you can let it control your life and be miserable. Wonder what plot relevance it has...

To paraphrase, "Shit happens, deal with it"

Probably the same amount of relevance the Alice quotes have in Ubisoft games.

LOADS

Jintor

I'm trying to think of games where the opening quotation was really super relevant in a subtle way instead of being stupidly on-the-nose...

Far Cry 3 was so badly written, mah gawd

I'm trying to think of games where the opening quotation was really super relevant in a subtle way instead of being stupidly on-the-nose...

Far Cry 3 was so badly written, mah gawd

None, they are either trying to create a frivolous atmosphere or are simply too ambiguous.

Though I guess that's mostly down to ones own interpretation of the quotes.

After a very long evening of work, I've completed my latest series of art-- Ultra Suplex Hold Arcade! There are three types of graphics available based on requests on Twitter:

HD Wallpaper Complete Set (1920 x 1080)

Vita Wallpaper Complete Set

Twitter Banner Complete Set (New User Pages)

This series is now complete for all of the announced characters on the P4U2 website (and I threw in a couple of surprise extras from P4A!). I hope you all enjoy them! :D

You are god among men in wallpaper desing trueself! Loving them.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! It means a lot that you're enjoying them! :D

These are great, hope nobody minds if I use the Chie one. Is her head supposed to be cut off like this though?

https://twitter.com/abrack08

Not a shameless attempt to get followers, I promise

Yeah, some of them are like that; the renders all had different heights, and I wanted to try to keep things consistent. Ken/Koro is another one like that, but I think they still look good on Twitter!

Soriku

He was also my first one. He showed me the wonderful world of Social Links. Can't hate him. Besides, it's always fun to talk about women and that teacher was indeed hot, can't blame him:

Emiri_Kanou.png

So I enjoyed hanging out with him. :D

This is the P3 teacher? Dayum.

It would be a MASSIVE departure, and I just don't see it. I mean, hell, they even made a character that wasn't silent in one silent in the next when they became a MC. :p

It would def be a departure from P3 and P4. Then again, i really enjoyed Vincent in Catherine, so i say give the P5 MC a voice.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm guessing nothing of great interest happened on PSC other than the Lotus Juice guest and the PQ gameplay? Well, the PQ gameplay's at least new, so that's alright. It seemed as though PSC was gradually getting bigger for a while there; maybe something like exclusive Ken/Koromaru gameplay could have been cool.

It's funny that we got more news/reveals out of a feed of two voice-actors slowly going crazy than we have out of PSC.

FluxWaveZ

It's funny that we got more news/reveals out of a feed of two voice-actors slowly going crazy than we have out of PSC.

Well, it's supposed to be a talk show, so one can't expect some big announcements from them. It'd probably be a good venue for some, though. Things like Rise gameplay or all the PQ gameplay are pretty near.

If Persona 5 had the same adult tone as Catherine, but still in a high school setting the game would be god tier man, god tier

What would it mean to have an adult tone, but set in high school?

Dantis

What would it mean to have an adult tone, but set in high school?

I would assume he means in terms of how it handles characters, dialogue and events and whatnot. There is a definite difference in the way that Catherine is written and directed, even when it gets completely zany and silly.

I think it's more likely to be a middle ground. Persona has gotten further and further into a kind of mid-teens focused take on things, largely due to the spinoffs, and I think 5 will probably move away from that somewhat.

kewlmyc

It would def be a departure from P3 and P4. Then again, i really enjoyed Vincent in Catherine, so i say give the P5 MC a voice.
It would be a major departure from any SMT/SMT Spinoff game. Hell, they didn't even let Maya keep her voice in P2:EP. I doubt we'll get a fully voiced protag in P5, though it would be neat.

Setsu00

I would assume he means in terms of how it handles characters, dialogue and events and whatnot. There is a definite difference in the way that Catherine is written and directed, even when it gets completely zany and silly.

I think it's more likely to be a middle ground. Persona has gotten further and further into a kind of mid-teens focused take on things, largely due to the spinoffs, and I think 5 will probably move away from that somewhat.

I agree with that. None of the spinoffs (not even P4G) were directed by Hashino, and it shows. There are tonal differences everywhere, particularly noticable with the added content in P4G or the over-the-top nature of Arena.

Hashino has to be one of the most underrated directors in this industry.

FluxWaveZ

Yes, but what about the direction is inherently adult? I would think the term refers to social relationships, the setting and the problems the characters are experiencing. I'm not sure how the term applies to how a work is directed, though.

Rhapsody

Banned
As far as voiced MCs go, if it'll be in a similar style of P3/P4 (more personal, day to day life), I'd rather they keep a silent protagonist. If the story's going to be told in a P2 kind of way, a voiced MC would work out better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom