• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soriku

Yes, but what about the direction is inherently adult? I would think the term refers to social relationships, the setting and the problems the characters are experiencing. I'm not sure how the term applies to how a work is directed, though.

More twerking.

Swedesu

Quick question, who here prefers P3's music to P4?

I personally prefer the P4 music a million times more, but i've heard fans are split on this.

I would say that P4 has the overall superior soundtrack.

But P3 has a few songs that I might say are better than P4s best tracks depending on the mood I'm in.
Namely Battle for Everyone's Souls, Heartful Cry and all of the songs during the final month.

arue

I personally prefer the P4 music a million times more, but i've heard fans are split on this.

I prefer P3's music much more than P4's music, although it could be affected by the fact that I played P3 first.

P4 lacks a "school theme" because they combined both school and town music together. I like it when the school song changes as the semester changes in P3.
I also like Master of Tartarus and Master of Shadow better than I'll Face Myself. Battle for Everyone's Souls is also one of the best final boss theme song I've ever heard.
However, P4 has other great songs too, like Reach Out to the Truth, Heaven, Snowflakes, Your Affection, Heartbeat, Heartbreak, and Signs of Love.

I've found myself listening to P4's music more after completing the game...but I think P3's music worked better as background music. A lot of P4's vocal tracks were too...overpowering(?) for background music. I have the memory of starting a day in P4, you see the back of the main character in the middle of the classroom, and all you hear is this.

P3's music from what I recall, better suited how mysterious/intense/goofy/serene the story could be. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of Mass Destruction...but it's amazing how it just works as a battle theme.

Dantis

I agree with that. None of the spinoffs (not even P4G) were directed by Hashino, and it shows. There are tonal differences everywhere, particularly noticable with the added content in P4G or the over-the-top nature of Arena.

Hashino has to be one of the most underrated directors in this industry.

You're my best friend, Setsu.

Yes, but what about the direction is inherently adult? I would think the term refers to social relationships, the setting and the problems the characters are experiencing. I'm not sure how the term applies to how a work is directed, though.

The tone? The dialogue? The groundedness of the world? Catherine gets ridiculous towards the end, but it remains grounded within a world. Persona had moments that felt immature to a high level, both deliberately (the hot springs scene) and not (everything we've seen about Sho).

FluxWaveZ

The tone? The dialogue? The groundedness of the world? Catherine gets ridiculous towards the end, but it remains grounded within a world. Persona had moments that felt immature to a high level, both deliberately (the hot springs scene) and not (everything we've seen about Sho).

So "mature" then, and not "adult"? I don't think any director would ever go: "this needs to be/feel more adult!" (especially not a director who has the apparent style and creative method as Hashino). There's a difference, and associating the term "adult" with some kind of inherently different style of tone or world building that can be universally applied to any setting, as though the "adult" part isn't literal, sounds remarkably false. Dialogue was obviously affected by "adult" in Catherine since, as I mentioned, that would be one of the things that's actually affected by the term since, well, they're all adults"

Judging the audience and the nature of each game. It makes sense why Persona isn't as mature as something like Catherine.

I see P5 possibly taking on more mature themes, as all media does in general these days. But if the cast are high school kids, that immature atmosphere will always be there, lingering.

abrack08

I like both a lot, but I like P3 more. I especially love when most of the songs get remixed near the end of the game. It's like the music evolves as you play, and it really fits the mood. I also missed Lotus Juice in P4.

That's a tough question. Both soundtracks are great but at the same time they're really different. They convey different feelings and they are used in different contexts.

For example, in P3 you have When The Moon's Reaching Out Stars playing when you're walking around town. In P4 you have Your Affection (if it's sunny) and Heartbeat, Heartbreak (if it's cloudy). I can't pick which one I prefer because they are all good songs. It depends on my mood. Somedays I listen to the P4 soundtrack on my way to uni, some other days I listen to the P3 soundtrack. Somedays I listen just to battle songs from both games, or maybe only vocal tracks because I feel like singing along. But no matter what, I can't pick just one soundtrack, they're both great.

Also, Golden has really good songs.

FluxWaveZ

Translation of the Episode P3 summary:
In an attempt to investigate the mastermind behind the incidents in Inaba, the Shadow Workers gather there. Labrys's memories provide no further clues, leading to a dead end. However, with the information they've obtained so far, they feel the shadow of "that man" who left them deep scars in the past. Beset by feelings of unrest, they detect a sudden peculiar Shadow reaction in the town of Inaba! Not long after that, a report arrives to former S.E.E.S. members Yukari and Junpei, who are now leading peaceful lives: Mitsuru and the others have gone missing! As the Extra Members of the Shaodow Workers, they rush to Inaba to resolve the crisis, only to witness an ominous scene similar to the one from many years ago! Could "that man" truly be behind it?
Persona 3 spoilers and P4A spoilers: I heard recently that,
apparently, Ikutsuki was explicitly mentioned in P4AU. Sho is supposed to be Ikutsuki's "insurance", which could explain some similarities between Sho and him like the puns and the moon motif.

So, relating that to the summary, he's probably "that man" and also might be who the Shadow Operatives
were all "it can't be..." about in P4A when they encountered the Malevolent Entity/Eerie Voice
(P4A spoilers). Probably also relates to how
Labrys got hacked at the end, just like how Aigis kinda did.
And then there's the whole part about them being crucified,
which is pretty much a callback to the P3 scene with Ikutsuki.

It's looking like Sho's influence was based on him, and Sho's desires (at least his non-Persona self's) seem to match up with "that man's."

kewlmyc

apparently, Ikutsuki was explicitly mentioned in P4AU. Sho is supposed to be Ikutsuki's "insurance", which could explain some similarities between Sho and him like the puns and the moon motif.

So, relating that to the summary, he's probably "that man" and also might be who the Shadow Operatives
were all "it can't be..." about in P4A when they encountered the Malevolent Entity/Eerie Voice

It's looking like Sho's influence was based on him, and Sho's desires (at least his non-Persona self's) seem to match up with "that man's."

What an odd choice of a villain to bring back into the fray.

I also don't like it when summaries use "That Guy/Man/Person" when talking about spoilers, especially when it could refer to several people.

Really? He has to be dead.

arue

That's interesting. I never thought that he would show up again.

Soma

re: ost preferences

I've always enjoyed P3's music over P4's. Don't get me wrong they're both fantastic but (controversial opinion) I reeeeeeeeally don't care for Shihoko Hirata's voice and when P4's ost seems to feature a bunch of songs that are focused around her voice, I kinda feel ambivalent towards that certain track.

Lunar15

You know, P4AU's story is starting to come together for me. The re-emergence of Tartarus, the moon, the red fog,
mentioning Itsuki

I think it really is leading to the completion of Elizabeth's quest. I think someone's trying to break that gate.

kewlmyc

You know, P4AU's story is starting to come together for me. The re-emergence of Tartarus, the moon, the red fog,
mentioning Itsuki

I think it really is leading to the completion of Elizabeth's quest. I think someone's trying to break that gate.

What does the red fog have anything to do with the rest of what you said?

tumblr_n60cgiXcMO1trk026o1_500.gif

I can't really decide which game has the best soundtrack. But if you add P3P and P3 The Movie along with original P3, I think P3 is better.

So about the news regarding P4AU,
I wasn't expecting Ikutsuki at all. It seems he is probably the one behind this. I really dislike him.. I'd prefer someone else, a new guy, perhaps a God, than him.

So about the news regarding P4AU,
I wasn't expecting Ikutsuki at all. It seems he is probably the one behind this. I really dislike him.. I'd prefer someone else, a new guy, perhaps a God, than him.

Well there was two people remember? (P4A spoilers)
A hacker and a malevolent entity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom