• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yu_gives_Chie_some_milk.png

Does anyone who knows Japanese can see how they introduce Theo and if they mention that Makoto is sick during the beginning of the game? It makes me wonder if they retconned that or if the events of the game end up being one of Makoto's dreams.

PK Gaming

So about the news regarding P4AU,
I wasn't expecting Ikutsuki at all. It seems he is probably the one behind this. I really dislike him.. I'd prefer someone else, a new guy, perhaps a God, than him.

It's incredibly disappointing

Ikkutsuki was the worst villain in the entire series.

Dantis

P2 and P3 spoilers.

Observation on the return of
Ikutsuki
. The character is dead, but
in Persona 2, Nyarlathotep brought Kandori back to life. When he did, Kandori had a big cross down his face. Very similar to the one that Sho has.

Also, Ikutsuki being the hacker would make a lot of sense, considering who he is. I always thought the hacker thing was really silly, but if it's someone who worked on the androids in the first place, then that's actually fine.

It actually does maybe seem like the story is starting to come together?...

pan-hime

Yu_gives_Chie_some_milk.png

Does anyone who knows Japanese can see how they introduce Theo and if they mention that Makoto is sick during the beginning of the game? It makes me wonder if they retconned that or if the events of the game end up being one of Makoto's dreams.

I can answer the latter. The first scene apparently takes place AFTER the typhoon passed. Liz felt she had a dream that Makoto met "those" people, but not sure if it's real.

When she said that, Makoto heard Yu's voice, saying:

"We’ll meet again some day. I’m sure."

after, it's a damn flashback.

kewlmyc

It such a drag. I really do enjoy visual novels, but so much of Arena's is just expository dialog and retreading the same events make it so boring.

Yet you still won't read Fate/Stay Night.

Arena's story telling really lets it down. Isn't there a P4A summary coming out with the limited edition of P4AU. Watch that be superior to the first game's story.

Lunar15

Technically, we're just guessing. All we know is that they mention
Ikutsuki
and his relationship with Sho.

I personally think that Sho is just the next in line after
Ikutsuki
to bring about the fall. Probably still someone other than these two behind it all.

I think the reappearance of
Adachi
may suggest that the real malevolent entity approached him about becoming the next in line before Sho.

What I'm saying is, someone's trying to open that gate, so they keep getting pawns to do it for them.

Technically, we're just guessing. All we know is that they mention
Ikutsuki
and his relationship with Sho.

I personally think that Sho is just the next in line after
Ikutsuki
to bring about the fall. Probably still someone other than these two behind it all.

I think the reappearance of
Adachi
may suggest that the real malevolent entity approached him about becoming the next in line before Sho.

What I'm saying is, someone's trying to open that gate, so they keep getting pawns to do it for them.

Yeah, seems like the crawling chaos is back from his long slumber.

Lunar15

I already mentioned that Sho was "his" insurance. Probably for "just in case this end-of-the world scenario doesn't work" in P3.

I don't know that he is, really.

Ah, I think misread you, but we're definitely on the same page. I don't think
Ikutsuki
will actually be back in this game, nor is he the malevolent entity.

I can answer the latter. The first scene apparently takes place AFTER the typhoon passed. Liz felt she had a dream that Makoto met "those" people, but not sure if it's real.

When she said that, Makoto heard Yu's voice, saying:

"We’ll meet again some day. I’m sure."

after, it's a damn flashback.

Very interesting, thanks! I think this heightens the chances of the game being canon.

FluxWaveZ

Very interesting, thanks! I think this heightens the chances of the game being canon.

Yeah, they haven't explicitly mentioned it like they have with P4AU and P4D, but it seems that PQ is supposed to be canon as well. In which case, obviously, they all lost their memories at the end of it. Whatever, they can go however crazy they want to with the spin-off canon stories as long as there's no major retcon, and that they don't somehow leak in a big way into P5.

Heh, if I ever play through P3 and P4 again, it'll be interesting to go back and think "this is where they lost their memories of that crazy thing that happened."

Yes,
but now there are two recent games that involves P3's story that makes references to his returning. I don't think Atlus would put those lines without having meaning.

Two?

- P3FES
- P4
- P4A
- PQ (if we're counting this passing comment as being significant)

It's something they've been trying to emphasize for a bit now.

Edit: Oh wait, glossed over the "recent" part. Then sure, P4A and PQ.

Lunar15

Real Talk: (P3 Spoilers)
Bringing P3MC back kind of ruins the ending. The point was that he sacrificed his life, and that gave it meaning. The entire message of the game is dealing with death in different ways, and to enjoy life while you have it. The game emphasizes this by making you act out your last days and you see how you've affected everyone around you and what their plans for the future are. The entire point is that his life had meaning, even if it was brief.

Bringing P3MC back kind of ruins the ending. The point was that he sacrificed his life, and that gave it meaning. The entire message of the game is dealing with death in different ways, and to enjoy life while you have it. The game emphasizes this by making you act out your last days and you see how you've affected everyone around you and what their plans for the future are. The entire point is that his life had meaning, even if it was brief.
It also renders The Answer entirely moot, something I am not okay with at all. Bringing the P3 protagonist back would be fan pandering of the absolute worst kind.

Dantis

Arena ruins many things.

Acid08

Banned
It also renders The Answer entirely moot, something I am not okay with at all. Bringing the P3 protagonist back would be fan pandering of the absolute worst kind.
These spinoff games are kind of all about fan pandering though? I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but it is what it is.

I hope he comes back so he can destroy Aigis for stealing his wild card
:)

Setsu00

I agree with that 100%. The only way I can think of that doesn't totally shit on P3's ending is Elizabeth liberating his soul, but not giving him back is body.

PK Gaming

They talk about this at length in the P3 design works. The final battle was about challenging the inevitability of death and accepting it. They wanted players to step back and think about their lives, and they made it pretty clear that Makoto's story was over. I don't think they're going to renege on that, at the very least.

CorvoSol

Guys it's gonna happen. Just accept that you will soon be playing a game in which Mitsuru, Yukari and Aigis form a pop band of treasure hunters while Mitsuru gets hit on by her creepy inbred cousin and we spend half the game chasing a phantom who looks like somebody that we used to know (HEYO GOTYE REFERENCE I AM SO RELEVANT) only for him to turn out to be a piano playing Gundam pilot who used to be in love with ancient super advanced Britney Spears and then at the very end of the game if you got 100% of the stuff then Philemon will make it happen.

Make your peace now, guys, because Aerith is not going to stay down.

They talk about this at length in the P3 design works. The final battle was about challenging the inevitability of death and accepting it. They wanted players to step back and think about their lives, and they made it pretty clear that Makoto's story was over. I don't think they're going to renege on that, at the very least.

I don't know about that. Elizabeth's story in Arena would be pointless then. They obviously want it to mean something, as it's extremely different from every other character's story.

Tamanon

Banned
They're going through a lot of trouble in P4AU to get a P3 character into Persona 4 Dancing All Night.
Makoto

Although I imagine it'd just be like the Goth Kids dancing on South Park.

FluxWaveZ

Well, the discussion's been brought up a million times, with that as the focal point. I don't even necessarily disagree with it. Still, it's not as though the allegory wasn't overt as hell.

Persona 3 spoilers:
- Makoto's crucifixion.
- Makoto performs "miracles" throughout the game (e.g. stopping the train).
- Depicted as "the chosen one" right from the beginning.
- Literally dies for humanity's sins.
- Gains a Persona straight up called "Messiah."

I mean, it kind of adds up to something, right?

Dantis

These spinoff games are kind of all about fan pandering though? I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but it is what it is.

This is the real answer.

Arena is a silly spinoff title, just like Q and Dancing All Night. It kinda stinks that they alter our perceptions of past games, but I think Atlus just doesn't take these things all that seriously. Rather than thinking "This might ruin this, so let's not go forward with this idea", they think "This might be fun, let's do this!".

Yeah, they haven't explicitly mentioned it like they have with P4AU and P4D, but it seems that PQ is supposed to be canon as well. In which case, obviously, they all lost their memories at the end of it. Whatever, they can go however crazy they want to with the spin-off canon stories as long as there's no major retcon, and that they don't somehow leak in a big way into P5.

Heh, if I ever play through P3 and P4 again, it'll be interesting to go back and think "this is where they lost their memories of that crazy thing that happened."

Indeed. It always weirded me out that Atlus mentioned very soon after their announcement that P4A and P4D were canon, but not with PQ.

I kinda agree with this in someway,
I always hated how Aigis took his Wild Card and his own Persona, it was very uneccesary for me. Plus, it made him less unique, I think that's the aspect I hate the most from The Answer, I would rather play only with Pallas Athena.

PK Gaming

I don't know about that. Elizabeth's story in Arena would be pointless then. They obviously want it to mean something, as it's extremely different from every other character's story.

Elizabeth's story is hot garbage. She can try to save him, but I hope to god that she doesn't succeed, or at the very least, he ends up staying dead and his soul ends up getting liberated or some shit.

Sophia

How cruel and evil of a monster must you be?! ;_:

This is the real answer.

Arena is a silly spinoff title, just like Q and Dancing All Night. It kinda stinks that they alter our perceptions of past games, but I think Atlus just doesn't take these things all that seriously. Rather than thinking "This might ruin this, so let's not go forward with this idea", they think "This might be fun, let's do this!".

Atlus confirmed for all fun and no Serious Business. :p

Dantis

Indeed. It always weirded me out that Atlus mentioned very soon after their announcement that P4A and P4D were canon, but not with PQ.

I don't think they've ever really confirmed anything as canon. The closest is when Wada referred to Arena as 'a proper sequel'.

What did they say about P4D?

Levito

Banned

Totally agreed, there's no reason to bring him back at all. His story is over, and it ended the best way it could within the context of that game.

Arena ruins many things.

We went over this.

Acid08

Banned
This is the real answer.

Yeah, exactly. I'm not taking any of these games seriously enough that what they would have an impact on how I feel about P3 and P4. Just gonna have fun with them.

We FFX-2 now!

The best outcome.

I don't think they've ever really confirmed anything as canon. The closest is when Wada referred to Arena as 'a proper sequel'.

What did they say about P4D?

Oh, I thought P4A was confirmed to be canon since the reveal.

About P4D:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/26/persona-4-dancing-night-feature-remixes-japanese-music-artists/
"Yes, Persona 4: Dancing All Night is tied to the series’ story. Don’t ask us how. It’s a rhythm game starring Rise Kujikawa, who has finally taken her idol career all the way, and will feature other Persona 4 characters as well.

That said, this week’s issue of Dengeki PlayStation magazine reveals that the game takes place after the events of Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold."

CorvoSol

I am so ready for the Compilation of Persona 3 you guys. Persona 3: Advent Calendar, Persona 3: 3PS, Persona 3 Prequel: How much of Persona 2 can we retcon edition.

It's gonna be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom