• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

I am so ready for the Compilation of Persona 3 you guys. Persona 3: Advent Calendar, Persona 3: 3PS, Persona 3 Prequel: How much of Persona 2 can we retcon edition.

It's gonna be great.

I hope Nyarly shows up in P4U and just says "Man, one time I had this crazy dream about a place called Sumaru City. Good thing that never happened."

Levito

Banned
Going to start P3P soon methinks. I've played through P3 FES 2 times, but that was literally years ago, and I've never done FeMC route. Hard to set aside time for 80+ hour games these days, but I really want to experience that game again.

mollipen

I want/need opinions!

One piece of my collection I've been missing for a long time was a physical version of Innocent Sin, so I finally decided to get around to picking one up before it gets too hard to track down for a reasonable price.

Copy comes today, and it's got a huge dent in the right side of the box. My thing is, I keep all of my Persona/SMT games sealed at this point, and just play everything digitally. So, I'm owning this not just to own it, but own it on a "collectable" level. At the same time, that's for my sake—not for selling down the future or anything.

This is what the box looks like. Do I just live with it and put it on the shelf, or do a return on it (since I purchased it as "new" through a game shop directly through Amazon)? Just curious what others would do in my situation.

P2IS.jpg

Caladrius

Return it. The game isn't so old that you wouldn't be able to find a pristine copy.

-

My brain always compartmentalizes sequels into separate canons.

I hold multiple canons to be true where

Game 1 is canon

Game 1 and game 2 are canon

Game 2 is canon

And so on.

That way I can treat every work as standalone as much as humanly possible and personally retcon particular games that I hate out of existence. If that makes any sense.

The only times I've ever removed games from continuity are Metroid: Other M and Paper Mario: Sticker Star which is technically self contained anyway so who gives a damn.

When's Paper Mario 4?

Dantis

I want/need opinions!

One piece of my collection I've been missing for a long time was a physical version of Innocent Sin, so I finally decided to get around to picking one up before it gets too hard to track down for a reasonable price.

Copy comes today, and it's got a huge dent in the right side of the box. My thing is, I keep all of my Persona/SMT games sealed at this point, and just play everything digitally. So, I'm owning this not just to own it, but own it on a "collectable" level. At the same time, that's for my sake—not for selling down the future or anything.

This is what the box looks like. Do I just live with it and put it on the shelf, or do a return on it (since I purchased it as "new" through a game shop directly through Amazon)? Just curious what others would do in my situation.

Personally, I'd keep it, because I am supremely lazy. But advising others, I'd tell them to send it back, because it's not as advertised.

Sophia

I want/need opinions!

If it was listed new at Amazon, contact them up and get it replaced/return. Don't settle for a damaged copy, especially if it's for collecting. That looks pretty badly damaged too.

CorvoSol

I want/need opinions!

I'd contact the seller. The only time I settled for crappy damage to a package marked new and collectors was with Bravely Default and even now I'm sort of annoyed by that. So yeah, I'd be like "I paid for new what the hell is this?"

The extra ending in that is so shitty, and I acutally like FFX-2.

Basically a similar situation if they brought back Makoto.

if his revival is a result of anything other than "would you like to bring him back? Y/N" at the end it will already be better than X-2.

This discussion about P4AU made me think about some stuff. I don't really mind whatever they end up doing, it's their game and their decision. It rests on me whether I like it or not, but if they do what they think is right, that's ok with me.

That being said, there are some things that definitely confuse me. So, P3 and P4A spoilers:

First of all, there's Elizabeth's story. They've been teasing that since P4, and they clearly intended something with her story in P4A. However, like some of you said, she may just free his soul, so he can rest in peace or something like that. But who knows, maybe she will actually revive him...

If she revives him, is that really a good place to end P3 storyline? Would they bring back the protagonist of a game just to end everything there? Makoto sure is gaining more popularity, due to the P3 movies and PQ, so if they do revive him... What are they going to do with him? There will be fans asking for more Makoto if he is around again. They could just revive him and that's it, but I don't know. Some gaming companies would take that chance to make more spin-offs, while others wouldn't. I don't really know.

And speaking of the P3 movies, we all know how those end. We all know that Makoto is going to die in the big screen of a theater. Would they revive Makoto considering that the final movie isn't even out yet? The people who say that they're ruining the ending of the game will have yet another motive to point their fingers at Atlus and say "Oh, now you are ruining the ending of a movie that isn't out yet. The ending of your final movie won't have any weigh now". Then again, they could revive him, considering that the people who will play P4AU and watch the movies will mostly be people that already played P3 and maybe they won't think that Makoto being revived makes the ending worse because of whatever meaning they give it in P4AU. Still, that probably won't make any difference with the people who claim they're ruining the ending. But hey, for those who think that the ending will be meaningless if they revive Makoto, that's fine. Everyone has their opinion.

My point is... well... I don't think my post even has a point. Those were some things that got me thinking and that really confused me while trying to think about what could Atlus do with that situation. Whatever they end up doing, I'm sure it's going to be a big deal with the fans, because people are expecting different things and some will be dissapointed.

That was a long post, but this was a boring Friday afternoon for me.

FluxWaveZ

And speaking of the P3 movies, we all know how those end. We all know that Makoto is going to die in the big screen of a theater. Would they revive Makoto considering that the final movie isn't even out yet? The people who say that they're ruining the ending of the game will have yet another motive to point their fingers at Atlus and say "Oh, now you are ruining the ending of a movie that isn't out yet. The ending of your final movie won't have any weigh now".

I don't think they care. P4A already has several spoilers to Persona 3, so... yeah. Plus, it seems apparent that they're not going to shy away from those kinds of things anymore in their grand conclusion to the "P-1 Grand Prix saga", nor should they if they want to convey whatever they want to with the story.

Tangentially related, to that, the P4GA teaser trailer straight up spoils the very ending of Persona 4.

Like you say, we can speculate all we want about whatever P4AU is going to do, but it's all aimless when we don't actually know. People might be complaining about something that won't even happen. Or whatever is speculated to might, but in a way that was utterly unexpected.

The only thing I think is a certainty is that whatever they do, they will not leave any plot threads hanging or have any sort of build up to something else—other than Persona 4 Dancing, which they've already demonstrated—and that includes what you're implying might happen.

NichM

Banned
Sometimes I wish I didn't work at Atlus (before realizing no, wait, that's a stupid wish) because I have a lot I want to say about (P3 spoiler)
Elizabeth's quest to revive Makoto.
But I can't really say it, because then certain people (you know the type) will take it as gospel because "Someone at Atlus said so!"

Le sigh.

Tamanon

Banned
Sometimes I wish I didn't work at Atlus (before realizing no, wait, that's a stupid wish) because I have a lot I want to say about (P3 spoiler)
But I can't really say it, because then certain people (you know the type) will take it as gospel because "Someone at Atlus said so!"

Le sigh.

Just post on your non-public account. Or specifically state it's your personal opinion. Would love to hear the thoughts of someone who worked closely with the source material.

Le sigh.

Next time it comes up in a Persona game, just have a character respond saying "That's a stupid idea!".

If Japan asks questions, blame someone else

kewlmyc

Le sigh.
Fuck it and post it anyway. People who say your word is gospel are silly anyway.

CorvoSol

On this topic of bringing sexy back
from the dead
I'm for it, but that might just be because I
did not care for
P3's
ending in the same way that others do, having had it spoiled well in advance.
Or because I still haven't read/watched/played
The Answer.

Lemstar

I want/need opinions!
If you don't mind the condition all that much, ask for a partial refund.

If it's described as brand new on Amazon and it came in that shape, you're entitled to a full refund with them paying for return shipping anyway, so odds are the seller is going to be happy with not getting hammered.

Guess Who

Banned
The thing about (P3 spoilers)
Makoto is that his reason for being the Great Seal is to prevent Erebus from reaching Nyx. The only way he can be freed from being the seal is if Erebus goes away. And the only way Erebus goes away is if humanity gets its shit together and stops wishing for the Fall.

And let's face it, humanity ain't ever getting its collective shit together.

kewlmyc

Just throwing this out there, but maybe P3 is so big now, Atlus regrets it now?

Doubt it, but just throwing it out there for conversation sake.

arue

I was spoiled on P3's ending, but
I still don't want P3MC to be revived. Like others said, it would be okay if his soul is freed from being a seal and he stays dead.

And wasn't his body cremated already on the day after P3's ending? It's impossible to bring his body back unless they use some bs excuse like "the power of friendship."

kewlmyc

I still don't want P3MC to be revived. Like others said, it would be okay if his soul is freed from being a seal and he stays dead.

And wasn't his body cremated already on the day after P3's ending? It's impossible to bring his body back unless they use some bs excuse like "the power of friendship."
You do realize how many robots we have in this series right?

CorvoSol

It was spoiled for me too, but it's god damn perfect and I'll cut anyone who suggests otherwise. Anyone!

Oh I'm not suggesting that. I'm sure it is. I just mean that for me, personally, the effect was diminished, you know?

Considering the end of Persona 2: Innocent Sin has
the power of the human will rewrite fucking history and build an entirely new reality, I dare say that rebuilding MC's body and freeing his soul from the great seal is completely possible.

arue

All I remember was
mentions of a funeral or a burial, but never a cremation

I remember there was a funeral, but I wasn't sure whether it was a burial or a cremation. Either way, there is no way to retrieve the body without it being rotten already.

You do realize how many robots we have in this series right?

I just remember that.
I really hope they don't do it though.

Considering the end of Persona 2: Innocent Sin has
the power of the human will rewrite fucking history and build an entirely new reality, I dare say that rebuilding MC's body and freeing his soul from the great seal is completely possible.

I haven't finished P2 yet, but I have an idea of how it ends. I don’t know how they will do it, but they better not do the same thing like P2:IS did.

Eh
I'd be fine with Makoto coming back in Arena, whether as a non-canon dlc character, or making a full-blown return. Also the Jesus allegory part of Makoto's story is missing the whole resurrection part. I think if he comes back Atlus knows what they're doing.

Meia

Real Talk: (P3 Spoilers)
Bringing P3MC back kind of ruins the ending. The point was that he sacrificed his life, and that gave it meaning. The entire message of the game is dealing with death in different ways, and to enjoy life while you have it. The game emphasizes this by making you act out your last days and you see how you've affected everyone around you and what their plans for the future are. The entire point is that his life had meaning, even if it was brief.

I dunno. P3 SPOILZ:
Did Chidori coming back ruin Junpei's character growth? The death still happened, he still dealt with it and it changed him. Just because she suddenly came back it doesn't mean that this growth didn't happen.

Of course, I'm using this example mainly because we don't know if it's canon, just like we don't know quite what's happening with Ultimax here. The whole Messiah and coming back thing is part of the story, just as his persona even mentions. In the Tarot, Death isn't an end, but a new beginning as well. Apparently it's ok for Makoto's to be permanent though because of reasons. I mean, seriously, when you die your soul returns to the sea and does whatever in Persona, but it's cool for Makoto's to not for all eternity? Fuck that noise.

If it does happen, it's also not exactly sudden as there's been buildup to it anyway. I may have preferred the idea of knowing that she'd be successful someday when everyone else is long gone, but eh.

It's the same thing that bugged me about Corpse Party.
Probably more my beliefs, but fucking with a soul is kinda blech to me. Bad enough to die, something like that is worse.

Then again P3 has always fucking bugged me because of the whole
"Taking responsibility for your actions/free will" when there isn't any real free choice in the game for the MC anyway. He had a gun to his head the whole time(or rather his friends' head), some choice. :p

Soma

re: P3 spoiler stuff

I've posted this before but I can still see something like this happening: http://i.imgur.com/V7sdvhw.png

I saw people mentioning a possible "replacement" for Igor and I think it'd be a good compromise. While he isn't completely revived, he is somehow freed from his burden. I just keep thinking about how he kinda got a raw deal with that whole thing. At the very least I'd like to see him briefly come back to say a proper goodbye to his friends before taking up Velvet Room duties with Elizabeth. All the crazy details as to how that would all happen... well I have no clue hahaha.

But that's probably stepping into fanfiction territory but I wouldn't put it past how silly some things get in the P4 Arena story.

kewlmyc

Eh
I'd be fine with Makoto coming back in Arena, whether as a non-canon dlc character, or making a full-blown return. Also the Jesus allegory part of Makoto's story is missing the whole resurrection part. I think if he comes back Atlus knows what they're doing.
i always considered him not showing up once he defeated Death then showing up when Tartarus was his death and rebirth considering when Jesus was crucified, he actually went down to hell to save the souls of someone or get a key, I forget exactly. It's really similar to him going to fight death. Then him dying was his descent into heaven if we're making Jesus comparisons.

All those years of Sunday School are useful now!

i always considered him not showing up once he defeated Death then showing up when Tartarus was his death and rebirth considering when Jesus was crucified, he actually went down to hell to save the souls of someone or get a key, I forget exactly. It's really similar to him going to fight death. Then him dying was his descent into heaven if we're making Jesus comparisons.

All those years of Sunday School are useful now!
Woah
that would make a lot of sense since I've never been able to make out the point of him and whole Tartarus collapse scene. My stupid idea was that if Jesus rose after 3 days, maybe Makoto will rise after 3 years. Persona 3 and Arena take place in 2009 and 2012 right? Edit: Damn it, never mind, he died in 2010 didn't he?
Yeah I never really thought Sunday School would pay off lol.

CorvoSol

Eh

St.Junpei Ch.20 v1-9 said:
1)The First Day of the Week cometh Mitsuru Magdalene early, when it was yet dark hour, unto the sepulchre. 2) Then she runneth, and cometh unto Daman Junpeter, and to the other party member, whom MC loved, and saith unto them,
They have taken away the main character out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.
3)Junpeter went therefore forth, and that other party member, and came to the sepulchre . . . 9) For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must
start a New Game +.

DON'T WORRY GUYS, I CHECKED AT THE COUNCIL OF NIKENEA AND IT IS TOTES CANON.

CorvoSol

How do I become a follower of this religion?

Although the holy writ claims that Junpei the DaMantist DaMan'd MC at the front door of a strip club, Bishi-Deacon Ken III claimed that entrance into a strip club was actually necessary as a symbolic entrance into Main Characterism. All sects agree that DaManning is a necessary step on the path, even the heretical Female Protagonists, who preach of a decidedly noncanonical sister to The Main Character.

Sophia

In regards to P3 and P4AU:
I do not think they will bring him permanently back as that would undermine the ending to P3. I do however think they bring him back temporary. In a manner in which he can participate in the plot and be a playable character.

I do not think they will bring him permanently back as that would undermine the ending to P3. I do however think they bring him back temporary. In a manner in which he can participate in the plot and be a playable character.
This too.
I fully expect him to come back, say hi to everyone, beat the big baddie, and finally go rest. Then he unlocks as character. The only problem I have with him being a playable character is potentially spoiling people online, but I guess it would be their fault they chose to play versus first?

I bet they'll do two more characters, one Shadow and one Persona user.
Persona-user is Adachi, and Shadow is Shadow MC. I bet the actual MC ain't playable, but we'll see a fake of him in the name of fanservice.

It's not like they can do Shadow Adachi, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom