• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

My main problem with the Kenji scenario in the Rio s.link is that he suddenly turns into some idealized highschooler. He doesn't consider going after a hottie because she's a childhood friend?!? There is no fucking way a single, idiot-loser type guy like Kenji wouldn't go after a girl like Rio if she was interested. No. fucking way. (Yes, i'm talking his older lady fetish into a ccount here). I absolutely do not buy the "I like her but we're childhood friends" angle, because that shit flat out doesn't exist in highschool.

Highschool guys are always looking for opportunities to get in a relationship with their female friends. If you want an example, look no further than Persona 4. Yosuke calls the protagonist and asks him which girl is his type (between Chie and Yukiko). Sure, he's friends with Chie and Yukiko, but its perfectly in line with what a regular highschool guy would do. Guys are always on the prowl, which is why the Kenji line always bugged me. I can understand if he brushed her off, or joked with her, but he made it absolutely clear that he saw her as some precious friend. (Talk about folding after getting a stacked hand...)

The whole Rio thing is seriously off kilter.

Lunar15

My main problem with "Kenji" in the Rio s.link is that he suddenly turns into some idealized highschooler. He doesn't consider going after a hottie because she's a childhood friend?!? There is no fucking way a single, idiot-loser type guy like Kenji wouldn't go after a girl like Rio if she was interested. No. fucking way. I absolutely do not buy the "I like her but we're childhood friends" angle, because that shit flat out doesn't exist in highschool.

Highschool guys are always looking for opportunities to get in a relationship with their female friends. If you want an example, look no further than Persona 4. Yosuke calls the protagonist and asks him which girl is his type (between Chie and Yukiko). Sure, he's friends with Chie and Yukiko, but its perfectly in line with what a regular highschool guy would do. Guys are always on the prowl, which is the Kenji line always bugged me. I can understand if he brushed her off, or joked with her, but he made it absolutely clear that he saw her some precious friend.

Well, I think the idea is that he's after older women. A "childhood friend" insinuates that he wants something more "mature", that he's past his childhood days.

I have definitely known people who acted like this, even in high school.

DNAbro

But Kenji is into older women remember? Hots for teacher.

But i haven't played p3p so I don't know if that is addressed.

Nachos

OH GOD THE POETRY IS BACK.

I KNOW. ;_;

Lowenthal can do a much lower voice range for Makoto. It probably isn't a big deal. He's not a one trick pony, despite the fact that everyone casts him for the same voice. >_>;
That's not the problem, though. He can alter his pitch all he wants, but the base timbre or "color" of his voice is going to stay the same. I'm sure it'd be fine for characters in different age ranges, but since he's going to occupying that general teenage tenor range, it'd be next to impossible for him to sound like two different people. That's just a physical limitation of the vocal folds themselves.

If you have two people play the same instrument like a trombone, one playing the lowest possible note, and another, the highest, you'd still be able to notice the similarities.

...Holy crap. After hearing this, they NEED to switch VAs if he's back in some form. Man, that was awful. Totally just realized that, or remembered that, now.

And it is totally different from my vision of Makoto. If Yuri's reprising him, at least in the PQ role, he needs to sound way more low-key. Maybe it'd sound better when the character's not yelling in a battle context.

Yosuke tapping into his hidden Wild Card ability.
That's why I've been hoping for someone like Lucien Dodge to replace him. While cool, the connection between Makoto and Pharos isn't strictly necessary and it actually becomes silly if you think about it since (November P3 spoilers)
you would think someone would mention Makoto and Ryoji sounding exactly the same.
Lucien has a very similar vocal range to Yuri, but with his different timbre, I think it'd be relatively seamless transition while still being distinctive.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
My main problem with "Kenji" in the Rio s.link is that he suddenly turns into some idealized highschooler. He doesn't consider going after a hottie because she's a childhood friend?!? There is no fucking way a single, idiot-loser type guy like Kenji wouldn't go after a girl like Rio if she was interested. No. fucking way. I absolutely do not buy the "I like her but we're childhood friends" angle, because that shit flat out doesn't exist in highschool.

Highschool guys are always looking for opportunities to get in a relationship with their female friends. If you want an example, look no further than Persona 4. Yosuke calls the protagonist and asks him which girl is his type (between Chie and Yukiko). Sure, he's friends with Chie and Yukiko, but its perfectly in line with what a regular highschool guy would do. Guys are always on the prowl, which is the Kenji line always bugged me. I can understand if he brushed her off, or joked with her, but he made it absolutely clear that he saw her some precious friend.

Eh, I grew up the only guy in my household alongside my sister and mother, so I've personally always had a lot of female friends I'm legit platonic with, including in high school. Not the most typical of life circumstances, sure, and I knew a lot of guys in high school that let their hormones do the thinking, but I know I was definitely not alone in that respect. Sometimes it just takes a good mom to show you the ropes and make you realize that people are people no matter what gender they are and you don't really have to do anything different to get company of the opposite gender as long as you're a decent person. At least that's how it's worked for me.

Not unlike Kenji, I'm also generally into older women and that went for high school, too. Had a few fleeting relationships with girls my age when it felt right, but I wasn't otherwise actively "on the prowl" as you put it. I was too busy staying afloat in my AP classes to really be overtly concerned about what were likely going to turn out to be momentary hookups anyway. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind, but I did really have different priorities in those days. Getting set up for this Japanese thing took a lot of time!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CorvoSol

But Kenji is into older women remember? Hots for teacher.

But i haven't played p3p so I don't know if that is addressed.

At one point in P3P Kenji tells Junpei he cannot possibly be perving on FeMC because "I'm into older women." Kenji's love of ladies who are older than him is treated as ironclad for some weird reason.

PK Gaming

Kenji likes older women. He says so all the time.

Well, I think the idea is that he's after older women. A "childhood friend" insinuates that he wants something more "mature", that he's past his childhood days.

I have definitely known people who acted like this, even in high school.

I didn't forget about that shitty aspect of his character, I just think it's completely ridiculous that he focuses exclusively on older chicks. I don't think people (especially hotblooded young men) would do that at all. I know, it's kind of presumptuous of me to say that, but I've never met the type of person who'd bet everything on one person (and an adult no less). It just strikes me as odd and wholly unbelievable. It makes it hard to empathize with Kenji at all.

Incidentally, an NPC talks about how Kenji would ask out girls straight out, and complimented him on his fearless, so I don't think he's completely averse to dating younger women. In fact, I always saw it like he sort of loved the challenge of punching outside of his weight class. Of course, it's contradicted by canon, but still...

FUCK IT

FUCK KENJI

Eh, I grew up the only guy in my household alongside my sister and mother, so I've personally always had a lot of female friends I'm legit platonic with, including in high school. Not the most typical of life circumstances, sure, and I knew a lot of guys in high school that let their hormones do the thinking, but I know I was definitely not alone in that respect. Sometimes it just takes a good mom to show you the ropes and make you realize that people are people no matter what gender they are and you don't really have to do anything different to get company of the opposite gender as long as you're a decent person. At least that's how it's worked for me.

Not unlike Kenji, I'm also generally into older women and that went for high school, too. Had a few fleeting relationships with girls my age when it felt right, but I wasn't otherwise actively "on the prowl" as you put it. I was too busy staying afloat in my AP classes to really be overtly concerned about what were likely going to turn out to be momentary hookups anyway. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind, but I did really have different priorities in those days. Getting set up for this Japanese thing took a lot of time!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hinata_%2818%29.png

EDIT: Not actively on the prowl, no... but that kind of thing is always in the back of your mind, you know? As a possibility. But with Kenji, that possibility doesn't exist.

But Kenji turned down Rio just because she was his childhood friend? I thought that was Rio overthinking. It seemed to me that happened because he was into older women or just too dumb to realize she liked him.

Ode To P4G, By Marie

Fans wanted new scenes,
So Atlus put in more things.
I am one of the new perks,
So why do you hate me,
Youstupidjerks?

Mdesilva

I will say, so far in the P3 movie series, Kenji is more likeable since he hangs out with both Junpei and Makoto. The scene they had was pretty fun! I hope that they make the teacher thing less unbearable.

CorvoSol

What if the reason Kenji is into older women is because he's secretly a 20 something himself, pretending to be a highschooler as an undercover policeman and the truth about his Social Link is that the whole teacher noise is just smokescreen while he tries to find out if Makoto was smoking pot or something?

And Rio is um, also a cop.

I will say, so far in the P3 movie series, Kenji is more likeable since he hangs out with both Junpei and Makoto. The scene they had was pretty fun! I hope that they make the teacher thing less unbearable.

We're not going to see Kenji again. Makoto using Jack Frost shows he's already done with the bond. Not to mention the movies are so short compared to the game. They're not going to waste time showing each SLink to completion.

We're not going to see Kenji again. Makoto using Jack Frost shows he's already done with the bond. Not to mention the movies are so short compared to the game. They're not going to waste time showing each SLink to completion.

I agree. They won't show the SLinks due to short time. That is one of the reasons I wish we could have a P3 anime (P1, P2 deserve one as well). But I got the feeling that Makoto summoned Jack Frost due to his increased relationship with Junpei.

Soma

I thought Junpei represented the Magician Arcana in the movie though?

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
EDIT: Not actively on the prowl no... but that kind of thing is always in the back of your mind, you know? As a possibility. But with Kenji, that possibility doesn't exist.

Like I said, I'd agree that's probably the case for a lot of guys and I'm not trying to project myself onto Kenji and argue that he's super well-written or anything. Just saying from my own life experiences that I totally had plenty of friendships with women where hormones didn't play into it on either side at all. You'll just have to believe me on that point that I really did have my mind on a lot of other things that took precedence. I'll spare you the details of my life story since it's neither here nor there, except to say that it's much easier for me to open up and have close friendships with women than it is other guys (to the point where I had boyfriends of those girls I was friends with feel threatened by my presence, in fact!) and a lot of it comes from just not really growing up in a household with other guys around. In the one or two cases where I felt I wanted more, sure, I asked those girls out, but we're talking two out of however many dozens I met during those four years in high school. Not saying you have to relate or believe me, just speaking from my own experience here. Kenji not having a proactive interest in Rio in that way just doesn't strike me as super odd.

Pretty sure Kenji has none of those sorts of circumstances going for him, sure, and he's not the best written character in the game for it, but yeah.

Anyway before this turns in PsychoanalysisGAF, here are some random relevant pictures for you all to dwell on instead of my love life! :D!

Via tumbrrrrrrrr

FluxWaveZ

I don't think people (especially hotblooded young men) would do that at all. I know, it's kind of presumptuous of me to say that, but I've never met the type of person who'd bet everything on one person (and an adult no less). It just strikes me as odd and wholly unbelievable.

It's this. Realize that there are a lot of different kinds of people—teenagers—that you haven't met before. It reminds me of how I was made fun of back in high school because I was deemed "odd and wholly unbelievable" by my peers.

It's especially the blanket statements that teenage guys are supposed to be driven by their hormones towards these girls that irk me.

Acid08

Banned
Being into older girls is definitely not something that's super uncommon with teenage boys, at least from my time in high school. And also obsessing over those kids of things, just like Kenji does. Tunnel vision and such.

PK Gaming

Like I said, I'd agree that's probably the case for a lot of guys and I'm not trying to project myself onto Kenji and argue that he's super well-written or anything. Just saying from my own life experiences that I totally had plenty of friendships with women where hormones didn't play into it on either side at all. You'll just have to believe me on that point that I really did have my mind on a lot of other things that took precedence. I'll spare you the details of my life story since it's neither here nor there, except to say that it's much easier for me to open up and have close friendships with women than it is other guys (to the point where I had boyfriends of those girls I was friends with feel threatened by my presence, in fact!) and a lot of it comes from just not really growing up in a household with other guys around. In the one or two cases where I felt I wanted more, sure, I asked those girls out, but we're talking two out of however many dozens I met during those four years in high school. Not saying you have to relate or believe me, just speaking from my own experience here. Kenji not having a proactive interest in Rio in that way just doesn't strike me as super odd.

Pretty sure Kenji has none of those sorts of circumstances going for him, sure, and he's not the best written character in the game for it, but yeah.

Anyway before this turns in PsychoanalysisGAF, here are some random relevant pictures for you all to dwell on instead of my love life! :D!

Via tumbrrrrrrrr

It's this. Realize that there are a lot of different kinds of people—teenagers—that you haven't met before. It reminds me of how I was made fun of back in high school because I was deemed "odd and wholly unbelievable" by my peers.

It's especially the blanket statements that teenage guys are supposed to be driven by their hormones towards these girls that irk me.

Argh. You guys and your logic.

You're totally in the right though. I was projecting my own values onto Kenji and using them to support my argument. It was a pretty shitty thing to do and I ended up being way off base.

5%2836%29.png

I'm NOT sorry though, because kenjiiiiiii suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Since our neighborhood USPS guy is always drunk or something,and apparently likes to drop off packages at 9 pm, I went to take some trash out and noticed my Persona 3 wall scroll came in today! I can't get a quality picture of it now, but it's this one:

51%2BW8ruIBmL._SY300_.jpg

P3 Kenji

Is he supposed to be likable? It's been a while but I remember there being dialogue choices where you could tell Kenji was mistaken/out of his league/out of his mind/delusional and what not. You even get the option to laugh in his face when he sees his teacher's actual SO.

Lunar15

P3 Kenji

Is he supposed to be likable? It's been a while but I remember there being dialogue choices where you could tell Kenji was mistaken/out of his league/out of his mind/delusional and what not. You even get the option to laugh in his face when he sees his teacher's actual SO.

They definitely play up his s.link as a joke, yes. He's clearly meant to seem delusional.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
Since our neighborhood USPS guy is always drunk or something,and apparently likes to drop off packages at 9 pm, I went to take some trash out and noticed my Persona 3 wall scroll came in today! I can't get a quality picture of it now, but it's this one:

I actually have that same picture up on my wall! Not a wallscroll though. Just some cheap silk knockoff from China.

And wow who would have thought that Kenji would have stirred up such an interesting discussion, maybe he's not that bad after all...

P3 Kenji

I think that P3MC can be that harsh to almost everyone. There are a lot of jerky dialogue options. lol

That's a great one, dude.

And wow who would have thought that Kenji would have stirred up such an interesting discussion, maybe he's not that bad after all...

C'mon he is not that bad... At least everyone has to agree that he is more interesting than Nozomi, xD

Zebetite

Banned

"Da dada da! Junpei has leveled up!"

"Da dada DA dada DA DA DA dadada DA JUNPEI has da dada da LEVELdaED up DA DADA DA JUNdadaPEI da HASda LEVdadaELEDda UP JUNPEI DA LEVEL DA DADA UP J-J-J-D-D-D-LE-LE-J-J-D"

Persona 3 has stopped working
Windows is checking for a solution to the problem...

That's like saying "my turd is slightly more polished than your turd." In the end of the day, still a turd.

Haha true, but I'm not saying he is the best or he is one of the good characters, I just think that he isn't all that terrible. I really can't hate any of these characters. lol

"Da dada DA dada DA DA DA dadada DA JUNPEI has da dada da LEVELdaED up DA DADA DA JUNdadaPEI da HASda LEVdadaELEDda UP JUNPEI DA LEVEL DA DADA UP J-J-J-D-D-D-LE-LE-J-J-D"

Persona 3 has stopped working
Windows is checking for a solution to the problem...

lol

Junpei da man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom