• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
Also arguably the best
antagonist
in the series too.
I actually didn't care for him much in vanilla p4, I liked him a lot more in Golden after doing his social link

Persona tends to have weak antagonists imo, so it's nice that Golden gave him some depth. Most of them seem to go down the "FUCK YOU I'M SO INCREDIBLY EVIL CACKLE CACKLE" route

Lunar15

I actually didn't care for him much in vanilla p4, I liked him a lot more in Golden after doing his social link

Persona tends to have weak antagonists imo, so it's nice that Golden gave him some depth. Most of them seem to go down the "FUCK YOU I'M SO INCREDIBLY EVIL CACKLE CACKLE" route

Well, the antagonism in most persona games is more cosmic than it is physical. Usually they're fighting against a concept, and the actual "antagonist" is just kind of an avatar of that concept. Heck, P3 barely even has a single antagonist aside from the final boss, who is literally described as an avatar of people's longing for death.

I'm perfectly find with this. I don't think all things need to have "a bad guy". I was perfectly fine how P4 and P3 pulled off their thematic climaxes. That being said, that also means that I found the character in question to be someone that, while he serviced the theme well, I never particularly found his character that important or interesting. He's a neat twist that sets up the ending.

But hey, I said before I wouldn't be sore if he's in, and I'm not. I'm always happy to have a bigger roster, and really at this point there's not too much else I want. I'm merely just surprised that so many people had strong feelings about him. I'll chalk that up to P4G, and look forward to trying that out.

PK Gaming

I know, hence why I said I was surprised.

I'm glad he's in for those who wanted him, but I'm really glad we got Ken, Rise, Yukari, and Junpei first. I would have been pretty upset otherwise. At this point he's a neat bonus.

I'll need to play P4G. He wasn't well fleshed out in P4, so maybe that's why I'm lukewarm on him. I didn't find him to be all that crazy of a character outside of his use as a plot device. He wasn't bad, in fact, I liked the themes surrounding him, but it just felt very separated from the game. Perhaps P4G can remedy that for me.

That could be it. He gets a lot more development in P4G via
his social link and the additional scene at Junes. It's pretty clear from his social link that he isn't a well adjusted person. It's not overt foreshadowing, but it offers a neat look into his true nature. Also, the ending resolution where he turns himself in and accepts responsibility for his actions makes a bit more sense if your social link with him is rank is 8 (and the scene itself is changed too)

his social link and the additional scene at Junes. It's pretty clear from his social link that he isn't a well adjusted person. It's not overt foreshadowing, but it offers a neat look into his true nature. Also, the ending resolution where he turns himself in and accepts responsibility for his actions makes a bit more sense if your social link with him is rank is 8 (and the scene itself is changed too)

That scene where (P4G spoilers)
you confront them alone and he pulls the gun out on you was so good

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
Well, the antagonism in most persona games is more cosmic than it is physical. Usually they're fighting against a concept, and the actual "antagonist" is just kind of an avatar of that concept. Heck, P3 barely even has a single antagonist aside from the final boss, who is literally described as an avatar of people's longing for death.

I'm perfectly find with this. I don't think all things need to have "a bad guy". I was perfectly fine how P4 and P3 pulled off their thematic climaxes. That being said, that also means that I found the character in question to be someone that, while he serviced the theme well, I never particularly found his character that important or interesting. He's a neat twist that sets up the ending.

But hey, I said before I wouldn't be sore if he's in, and I'm not. I'm always happy to have a bigger roster, and really at this point there's not too much else I want. I'm merely just surprised that so many people had strong feelings about him.

Good point, I just hate it when villains are so one-note about their evilness. p3 spoils
I've always considered Takaya to be the main antagonist of P3 since he's the anti-thesis of Makoto being a false prophet and what not.
Never considered the more divine beings to be bad guys, with the exception of Nyarl ofc lol. Most of them are just acting upon humanties desires.

P4 spoils
btw I always thought Adachi's revised letter scene in Golden was awesome.

PK Gaming

It fluctuates, imo. P1 had a decent villain, but he isn't given nearly enough development in the game (Supposedly, the manga does a much better job at portraying him). P2 had a solid set of antagonists and a big bad that is probably my favorite villain in the series. P3 collectively had the worst villains in the series, bar none. I know it mostly dealt with fighting against supernatural forces that weren't really sentient, but the human element was extremely weak. P4 had a solid antagonist who's presence was felt throughout the game
I'm not counting Izanami, because lolNecron

That scene where (P4G spoilers)
you confront them alone and he pulls the gun out on you was so good

WORD

Lunar15

Good point, I just hate it when villains are so one-note about their evilness. p3 spoils
I've always considered Takaya to be the main antagonist of P3 since he's the anti-thesis of Makoto being a false prophet and what not.
Never considered the more divine beings to be bad guys, with the exception of Nyarl ofc lol. Most of them are just acting upon humanties desires.

P4 spoils
btw I always thought Adachi's revised letter scene in Golden was awesome.

That's the thing though, Stories don't always need physical antagonists. They just need a force that opposes a protagonist. Even the deities at the end games of all personas are just there for a boss battle. The opposing forces are the desires of humanity, which the main characters consciously resist throughout the course of the game.

I'll be honest: the actual plots of P3 and P4 kind of suck. The mystery setup in P4 is particularly not very well written. But the actual thematic progression is totally on point for the entire experience and is present even in the most minute gameplay details. It's not subtle, that's for sure, but I'm perfectly fine with a story being open about what it's trying to say.

Even better, the thematic progression of the Persona games isn't fully rooted in the monomyth for once. The structure of character progression in those games is literally lifted straight from Jung's theories of self actualization. We don't get this kind of change enough, and that's why I'm really grateful for the series.

kewlmyc

One thing that I don't like about the whole Adachi turning himself in and I guess the whole murder mystery thing is that the whole case is based on the supernatural and fantasy, yet the police are more than okay with locking up one of their own just because he confessed with no proof. Seems like there would have to be a lot of proof to prove a case like that. They even bring it up when everyone thinks it's Namatame. P4G kinda explains it by saying that "he knew things only the killer would know", but they never go into detail about that. What would he know that only the killer would know? Another thing is that, Naoto says that it was odd that Adachi would link the disappearances to the murders, but it's a small town. How likely would it be for a bunch of children fitting a similar bill would all just randomly disappear, then reappear at Junes with no memory of where they were? It wouldn't be far-fetched to link the disappearances to the murders (two odd cases to appear in a small town like that where the victims all fit a similar bill), and it sure wouldn't be the damming evidence to prove who the true villain would be. I like P4, one of my favorite games of all time but the murder mystery portion of it is the weakest part of the game for me.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking things.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
That's the thing though, Stories don't always need physical antagonists. They just need a force that opposes a protagonist. Even the deities at the end games of all personas are just there for a boss battle. The opposing forces are the desires of humanity, which the main characters consciously resist throughout the course of the game.

I'll be honest: the actual plots of P3 and P4 kind of suck. The mystery setup in P4 is particularly not very well written. But the actual thematic progression is totally on point for the entire experience and is present even in the most minute gameplay details. It's not subtle, that's for sure, but I'm perfectly fine with a story being open about what it's trying to say.

Even better, the thematic progression of the Persona games isn't fully rooted in the monomyth for once. The structure of character progression in those games is literally lifted straight from Jung's theories of self actualization. We don't get this kind of change enough, and that's why I'm really grateful for the series.

I get what you're saying but I just feel as if p3/p4 could have been much better experiences if they just handled said characters with more tact, because some of the scenes regarding them were just really lackluster imo.
Like when Takaya pulls a gun on a kid and says he's just hastening his demise or when Adachi admits that he killed people for the lulz all while wearing those stupid shit-eating grins of theirs'.
Pretty much,like you said, they don't necessarilly have to be "better" villains or even be the main point of focus, I just wish their inclusion in the games had been handled in a more meaningful way.

Real talk though I really enjoyed this convo, you brought up some really interesting points Lunar. :)

todd360

Gentleman. Ladies. Today I have read that the 30 days of e3 videos (better known as the saga of buttons) will feature persona 5 on this very day. I implore you to not give up hope on seeing P5 at e3 this year. It's happening. Insert it's happening gif here.

You can call me the P5 Prophet once I'm proven right.

Q8D3vil

Playing Persona 4 golden for 50 hours and im addicted to it (even though im not an rpg guy).
I just checked the anidb and there is Persona 4 the animation and an upcoming anime for P4G. Is t he P4G anime going to start from the beginning ?
really surprised they are doing this because P4 anime is only 3 years old.

Gentleman. Ladies. Today I have read that the 30 days of e3 videos (better known as the saga of buttons) will feature persona 5 on this very day. I implore you to not give up hope on seeing P5 at e3 this year. It's happening. Insert it's happening gif here.

I'm pretty sure Persona 5 will not be shown before Atlus Japan decides to show it. I'm sure commentators will talk about it, but no official reveal.

I, too, choose to #BELIEVE, and it hurts. ;__;

Szadek

Playing Persona 4 golden for 50 hours and im addicted to it (even though im not an rpg guy).
I just checked the anidb and there is Persona 4 the animation and an upcoming anime for P4G. Is t he P4G anime going to start from the beginning ?
I'm pretty sure everyone here is,or at least was at some point.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member

I want to believe but-...

Tamanon

Banned

Honestly, we don't know what the P4G anime will actually have yet.

todd360

I'm pretty sure Persona 5 will not be shown before Atlus Japan decides to show it. I'm sure commentators will talk about it, but no official reveal.

I, too, choose to #BELIEVE, and it hurts. ;__;

Atlus Japan will decide to show it....at e3! TGS is nothing more than cell phone game crap now. E3 is the time for p5 to shine. It's not like something like this has never happened before. Final Fantasy versus was shown and had its name changed annnnnddd had a trailer with subtitles. P5 can very well be shown off at e3. The lack of hype for this possibility is scaring me. I thought we were persona fans? I thought we were the ones who shouted the name persona 4 golden across gaf to give our fellow gaffers a great new experience to check out. I thought we were the ones who said that persona 5 definitely won't be a 3ds game.

It is time my friends. I say board the hype train with our collective heads held high! June 9th is the day of our victory!!!

Atlus Japan will decide to show it....at e3! TGS is nothing more than cell phone game crap now. E3 is the time for p5 to shine. It's not like something like this has never happened before. Final Fantasy versus was shown and had its name changed annnnnddd had a trailer with subtitles. P5 can very well be shown off at e3. The lack of hype for this possibility is scaring me. I thought we were persona fans? I thought we were the ones who shouted the name persona 4 golden across gaf to give our fellow gaffers a great new experience to check out. I thought we were the ones who said that persona 5 definitely won't be a 3ds game.

It is time my friends. I say board the hype train with our collective heads held high! June 9th is the day of our victory!!!

But if the Persona Magazine comes out June 12th, wouldn't that be the "prime time" to announce details?

10/10 I am ready to believe. ;__;

esoterika

Neo Member
Song suggestions from Persona games (any of them, including Arena), please. I'm planning on doing something... interesting. Slower or more chord-y songs preferred. Anything is fine though.

CorvoSol

Also arguably the best
antagonist
in the series too.

So far I'm not sure that Persona has very strong ones of those. I think he's probably one of the best, but I'm still kind of in the camp that FF is where they be at. I mean, FF has produced some serious duds in its time
Vayne Solidor, Genesis Rhapsodos, Kadaj and brothers, and arguably the NES villains before they got personalities
but few have ever felt as irrelevant as
Shadow Jesus and his doppelganger.
Kandori was so-so, and Jun/Joker was the all-time rock bottom, but Hitler and Nyarlothotep weren't so bad.

He's no
Hitler
though.

original

It is pretty hard to beat out a character whose likeness to a real world
monster
is "purely coincidental."

ssshadow

Neo Member

I really don't think we will see Persona 5 before Arena 2 and DAN is out. P5 would just overshadow them completely.

todd360

If I were in charge I would have additional info and screenshots in the magazine. Perhaps put the e3 trailer on a disc in the magazine as well. It will launch after the Sony conference. Why the f*ck would anyone give the first info of p5 in a mere magazine when you can reveal it with greater hype and fanfare with a trailer at e3? I say that whoever would make such a decision deserves to be fired. Are you even trying to sell a your product is what I would say to that man/woman.

If I were in charge I would have additional info and screenshots in the magazine. Perhaps put the e3 trailer on a disc in the magazine as well. It will launch after the Sony conference. Why the f*ck would anyone give the first info of p5 in a mere magazine when you can reveal it with greater hype and fanfare with a trailer at e3? I say that whoever would make such a decision deserves to be fired. Are you even trying to sell a your product is what I would say to that man/woman.

Because Persona 3 and 4 were revealed through magazines, if I recall correctly :V

Jonnax

I would be so happy if it did, it'd actually give the game a perception boost compared to yearly series that everyone knows about. But I think for Sony to want to show it at E3 they'd want it to be a PS4 game.

CorvoSol

I'm not on that hype train. P5 hype can be next year. All I ask is some more Dancing. Ultimax and Q are neat, but gimme some Dancing!

Setsu00

You can't compare Final Fantasy to Persona in terms of popularity and mainstream recognition. Persona is a niche game.

Persona 5 won't be at E3.

todd360

You can't compare Final Fantasy to Persona in terms of popularity and mainstream recognition. Persona is a niche game.

Persona 5 won't be at E3.

I used final fantasy 15 as a example of Japanese games shown at e3. Mostly because they showed a trailer with subtitles. It's happened before so it can happen again. I know that persona isn't as popular as final fantasy. No need to state the obvious.

Lunar15

I get what you're saying but I just feel as if p3/p4 could have been much better experiences if they just handled said characters with more tact, because some of the scenes regarding them were just really lackluster imo.
Like when Takaya pulls a gun on a kid and says he's just hastening his demise or when Adachi admits that he killed people for the lulz all while wearing those stupid shit-eating grins of theirs'.
Pretty much,like you said, they don't necessarilly have to be "better" villains or even be the main point of focus, I just wish their inclusion in the games had been handled in a more meaningful way.

Real talk though I really enjoyed this convo, you brought up some really interesting points Lunar. :)

It's actually kind of funny that you brought this up because just the other day I was talking with someone about how I think it'd be fun to have a more direct, physical protagonist for the next game, you know, to mix it up. I like doing it either way, but I also like it when concepts feel fresh, so I'm all for persona going with a very prevalent villain in the next one.

Setsu00

I used final fantasy 15 as a example of Japanese games shown at e3. Mostly because they showed a trailer with subtitles. It's happened before so it can happen again. I know that persona isn't as popular as final fantasy. No need to state the obvious.

Final Fantasy's popularity and legacy is exactly the reason why it gets shown at E3. Furthermore, Square Enix made several attempts in the past to become more relevant in western markets. They even referenced Call of Duty as a major influence on Final Fantasy XIII.

Now, Persona is very Japanese series. The games are set in Japan, they have that distinct anime aesthetic. And unlike Final Fantasy, Persona is directed primarily at a Japanese audience. You can't deny that.

From a marketing based perspective, it simply makes no sense to hope for a Persona 5 trailer at E3.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy's popularity and legacy is exactly the reason why it gets shown at E3. Furthermore, Square Enix made several attempts in the past to become more relevant in western markets. They even referenced Call of Duty as a major influence on Final Fantasy XIII.

Now, Persona is very Japanese series. The games are set in Japan, they have that distinct anime aesthetic. And unlike Final Fantasy, Persona is directed primarily at a Japanese audience. You can't deny that.

From a marketing based perspective, it simply makes no sense to hope for a Persona 5 trailer at E3.

Only to become the most reviled FF game in the West. And I definitely do not agree that Final Fantasy is more directed at a Western audience than Persona. Especially not when FFXIII's developers spent so much time crying about how much Western Fans did not like their very "Eastern" way of telling the game's story.

todd360

Atlus knows that Persona is a popular niche franchise. Atlus knows it. Sony knows it. Its time to stop treating it as though its a franchise with no hope of getting a decent size fan base in territories other than Japan. From a marketing based perspective it makes sense to show your game at the biggest event in gaming. If Sony is smart, they will plead with Atlus Japan to throw something together for E3. What would you do? Suck on your thumb and just let a huge market slip through your fingers as you reveal your game in a magazine that only releases in Japan?

Daimaou

Atlus USA has always been the corporate presence at E3, and has almost always been focused on what they're currently localizing, i.e. known quantities.

I honestly wouldn't expect any new information to come out of E3 in regards to P5.

Like it was mentioned before, aside from the last gen Assassin's Creed game and the normal multi-play stuff Sony has nothing to show for the PS3 panel. Why would they show the multi plats that are also available on the PS4 if they are obviously technically inferior? Those will surely be shown during the PS4 panel. If the PS3 gets a few minutes of show time, which it will, they will be showing stuff that's exclusive to it, and not the ,now current gen, stuff.

Noi

DJ8TvwK.jpg

When we last left off, Sexygor was giving us a grand welcome to the... uh.. I guess we'll go with Weapon Room since the game doesn't tell us otherwise. Here, she gives us a pretty grim ultimatum.

jjdZG8h.jpg

Well that doesn't seem very fair, does it?. According to her, We're supposed to look over the hundreds of weapons in the room and pick out the one that is meant only for our special snowflake. We can't leave the room until we do so. What are the odds that MC-kun will ever find the right one? Key is about to grab a sword, but someone tells him that it's not the right one.

kZH6ZnX.jpg

Oh, MC-kun is a nutjob. Understood.

MC-kun continues to fumble around forever until he spots the edgiest weapon of all, the Death Scythe. The voices in his head confirm that it is, in fact, his weapon, so he picks it up and does a rad pose. As Sexygor confirms that he made the right choise, the voice in his head finally materializes.

sGkPQWe.jpg

Damn, Orpheus got sexy.

Having finally chosen the right weapon after taking his sweet time of it, Sexygor chases us out of the weapon room before she has to answer any more questions. We leave the same way we came in, via some black screen-covering goop crushing our poor protagonist.

We wake up back on creepy street, where Chie seems to, once again, know exactly what happened. Oh, but she has weapons this time!

mqvqRrp.jpg

Hooray, its time for our first battle! To be honest, Mind 0's music kinda sucks (and its not up on youtube), so we'll be linking to better songs instead.
0mr70v8.gif
Legend of Dragoon - Battle Theme

nfddm6J.jpg

In-battle we have three gauges to pay attention to. The top, slightly segmented bar stands for Technical Points (TP), the middle blue bar stands for Life Points (LP) and the bottom orange bar stands for Mind Points (MP). TP is consumed when we use Skills, though some skills also use up a bit of LP.

qBA6SVt.jpg
fAxKqSt.jpg

As for battle commands, we have Attack, Charge, Item, Escape and Burst. Attack, Item and Escape are self-explanatory. Charge is basically Defend, only it also recovers some of the user's MP. Burst will use up some of your TP but allow you to perform an action before the turn actually starts (kind of a ZA WARUDO effect happens, the character does the move and you go back to the command selection screen). You can also summon your Persona MIND with the L button, which will take an active role right next to you.

MINDs will take damage in the place of the user while they're active, reducing your MP when they're hit. MP also slowly goes down as long as it's active. If your MP reaches zero, the character will enter a Mind Break state and be unable to summon their MIND for two turns, after which 40% of their MP is automatically recovered. While a MIND is out, your only available actions are Attack, Skill (which lets you perform special actions at the cost of TP and LP) and Burst. Pressing the L button while a MIND is active will dismiss, and there's no penalty for doing so.

Oh, and we get our first glimpse at actual in-game models. The designs are fairly stylized and cool looking, so the 3D stuff should also be-

xfTsLf7.jpg

kna4QYb.gif

Ok so poor Chie doesn't make the transition to 3D all that well. MC-kun and his MIND look alright (it helps that his brooding gaze ain't exactly hard to do), but the poor girl looks like she's on a trip pretty much 100% of the time.

Anyway the fight is against a single low-level salaryman, so he's dispatched easily enough. Afterward, MC-kun confronts Chie about what's going on, but not before Labrys makes a surprise appearance and interrupts them. Labrys sees two "people" standing behind MC-kun and Chie (she can see ghosts, remember) and they're about to explain when suddenly they hear a siren go off.

Ou6mJl8.jpg

THE LAW HAS ARRIVED.

Oh, and Adachi is with him too. The Law immediately tells him to buzz off though and look around. He grills the three kids over what happened and Chie makes up a lie about how they heard a kid screaming, ran to the place and found the poor salaryman lying on the ground. The Law has a hard time buying it, but MC-kun presents a convincing argument that settles the matter and proves their innocence.

3JhvxIn.jpg

As such, he lets them go. Adachi struts back and the two place the salaryman under custody (poor guy). The Law warns the kids that the man is addicted to a very dangerous drug and that he might need to ask for a statement later, so he gets their school's contact info. The kids decide on wait until tomorrow at school to discuss what happened that day. As The Law watches them walk off and sends Adachi to fetch the patrol car, his hard-boiled detective senses activate.

96mjYpm.jpg
6c2i3xG.jpg

"I hope I'm just overthinking it.", he says to himself, as he crunches on some nicotine gum.

Next Time on MIND≒0: Enter Yosuke.

FluxWaveZ

From a marketing based perspective it makes sense to show your game at the biggest event in gaming. If Sony is smart, they will plead with Atlus Japan to throw something together for E3.

This isn't on Sony. Or anyone else. I said it before, but I'm willing to bet they would accept a Persona 5 trailer with open arms if Atlus was ready to show one. Whether or not P5 has a presence at E3 is on Atlus. It won't be at E3, because I suppose Atlus wants to focus on the Japanese market.

I've said it before, but I feel that they could put more effort into making western markets more aware of the series and expanding its audience via marketing. E3 would be a great venue for that, but it won't happen for multiple reasons. There are the other Persona games that need to be marketed. Again, Atlus USA plays second banana in terms of major information dissemination to Atlus Japan always, and Persona 5 hasn't been and probably won't be unveiled anywhere before E3, which is Atlus USA's thing.

Unaware of how they operate, I think it would only benefit them if Persona 5 had a genuine presence at E3. But it won't.

FluxWaveZ

They're all going to crash, though.

I had visions of Persona 5 being unveiled today or tomorrow, yesterday, so that an English E3 trailer could happen, but I got P4AU character instead. Fair trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom