• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, when was this mentioned? I feel like you're confusing Jojo's or something with this, because I can't quite recall this being said and Sho can damage Shadows without a Persona.

So could Aigis. They're both anti-shadow weapons so don't need personas to damage shadows.

CorvoSol

I pretty much think one of these is definitely the case, especially since the series has already established that a non-persona user can't even damage a shadow. Unless the things they're facing in PQ aren't shadows at all(possible I guess).

And yeah, Labrys has to be with the P3 crew, if for no other reason than I doubt the P4 crew would know how to do maintenance on her. :p

Still, she went through exactly what each member of the cast of P4 did, so I can't help but look at her as a member of that cast really.

No, for the reason I said. This was talked about in the Answer on Mitsuru's flashback.

I should get around to playing/watching The Answer someday, haha. But yeah, I can't help but think of Labrys as a member of the IT because her story arc follows theirs and I kinda feel like it was more them than SEES who helped her through P4A. Although she makes sense as a member of the Shadow Ops, too, since she did in fact join 'em and all.

Speaking of, I really like that Fuuka didn't join the Shadow Operatives. Like, it's nice to know that some of these kids try to have normal lives after everything they've been through. Kinda like how I'm always happy when I see P1 cast members living their lives in P2.

Hm, when was this mentioned? I feel like you're confusing Jojo's or something with this, because I can't quite recall this being said and Sho can damage Shadows without a Persona.

I see; I'll have to watch that again.

I thought the need for a Persona to defeat a Shadow was the whole reason that the Mechanical Maidens were developed?

I wonder if this counts for Persona series demons, too? You'd think so, but then again the Last Battalion's Holy Lance mechs seemed capable of fighting demons and persona users alike.

FluxWaveZ

So could Aigis. They're both anti-shadow weapons so don't need personas to damage shadows.

Wait, Aigis fought Shadows before she gained her Persona?

I thought the need for a Persona to defeat a Shadow was the whole reason that the Mechanical Maidens were developed?

I wonder if this counts for Persona series demons, too? You'd think so, but then again the Last Battalion's Holy Lance mechs seemed capable of fighting demons and persona users alike.

Yeah, I might be thinking back too much to P1 and P2 here, since I think that was why the anti-Shadow weapons were developed in the first place. It's all blurry; gotta read back up on it.

Caladrius

Correct.

Keep in mind that (P2 Spoilz)
The Last battalion was supernatural in origin.

FluxWaveZ

That page doesn't mention anything in regards to whether or not Aigis fought Shadows before awakening to her Persona or not. It just says that they were designed to fight Shadows by developing an ego and gaining a Persona, not fighting Shadows without one.

EDIT: Wait, that article implies that all anti-shadow robots can use personas. That can't be true due to Labrys.

Why not? Labrys definitely didn't go fighting Shadows before she gained Ariadne.

Sophia

They've been rather inconsistent about if a person can defeat a Shadow without a Persona or not, and by what means. The P3 movie tries to explain it as there are weapons that can defeat lesser shadows, but this is inconsistent with virtually every other game. There also wouldn't be much a point to giving Aigis tons of guns and stuff if she couldn't defeat a Shadow with them.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I'm not arguing that in my edit. I meant that the article is inconsistent with the games, since it says the robots are designed to use Personas but Labrys obviously didn't have one.

Oh, but I thought her whole story in P4A was about how
she was being trained in the lab to have one artificially and forcefully awaken. That didn't happen because she broke out, and instead awakened to an incomplete version of Ariadne before she was captured.

Sophia

Yeah, I'm not arguing that in my edit. I meant that the article is inconsistent with the games, since it says the robots are designed to use Personas but Labrys obviously didn't have one.

That article is missing quite a few details. For one, the "Anti-Shadow Suppression Weapon" actually refers to all the generations of them. Only the 5th, 6th, and 7th generations were designed to be androids and actually manifest a Persona, and as we saw with Labrys's story in P4A, not all of them did...

(Source of this info is the P3 Club book and the P4A Design Works interviews.)

Oh, but I thought her whole story in P4A was about how
she was being trained in the lab to have one artificially and forcefully awaken. That didn't happen because she broke out.

Oh, yeah. Admittedly I didn't pay too much attention to the story mode in P4A.

ANYWAY... Persona 3 had personas from Greek mythology, Persona 4 from Japanese. Any guesses for P5?

CorvoSol

Correct.

Keep in mind that (P2 Spoilz)
The Last battalion was supernatural in origin.

True, but I assumed that that didn't grant them full on
supernatural powers
because there were still rules about
what became true through a rumor.
Also, as far as I understood it,
the strength of a rumor corresponded in part to the strength of its product. This is why the Lance of Longinus was so powerful, because it was 1) 2000 years of rumors building it up and 2) attached to faith in Jesus Christ, which is a much bigger, much deeper, much more powerful belief than run of the mill rumors, meaning that the Spear was enhanced by that. At least it was my understanding that the way things worked in P1, P2 and SMT4 regarding Gods, Angels, and Demons was that they had a sort of symbiotic relationship with the beliefs of mankind. Whether Orochi and Hydra were real was sort of moot since people believed they were and that belief made them stronger. Kinda like how the fairy woman in SMT4 becomes Black Maria because her origin had become tied to that story and she gained stewardship of the people who believed in Black Maria. So basically I figured that while The Last Battalion's origins were supernatural, they were still functionally Nazis equipped with Anti-Demon, Anti-Persona mecha because the rumors did not concern anything beyond that.

I have no clue if that makes sense outside my head or not.

They've been rather inconsistent about if a person can defeat a Shadow without a Persona or not, and by what means. The P3 movie tries to explain it as there are weapons that can defeat lesser shadows, but this is inconsistent with virtually every other game. There also wouldn't be much a point to giving Aigis tons of guns and stuff if she couldn't defeat a Shadow with them.

Considering Yu can kill Shadows with a Golf Club and Minako can ice them with a Hockey Stick, I assumed that having a Persona granted its wielder the power to kill a Shadow. Kinda like how in Kingdom Hearts Sora can permakill Heartless with his Keyblade (and Boss Heartless cannot be slain except with a Keyblade).

Actually, come to think of it, KH1 is pretty inconsistent on that, too. Sora with a wooden sword cannot actually damage Heartless at all. Yet everybody else can defeat Heartless with whatever weapons they have. Shoot, Beast can kill them with his bear hands.

Oh, yeah. Admittedly I didn't pay too much attention to the story mode in P4A.

ANYWAY... Persona 3 had personas from Greek mythology, Persona 4 from Japanese. Any guesses for P5?

My hope is for MesoAmerican, but beyond Quetzalcoatl all those names are hard as fuck to shout out, so instead my money is going to Norse. I mean there are a ton of Norse deities in the series already.

Meia

I see; I'll have to watch that again.

There's the part where the people with Mitsuru's dad are trying to shoot shadows with guns, to absolutely no effect. I think it's covered there.

http://youtu.be/CyffWgsrwkQ?t=50s

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-Shadow_Suppression_Weapon

That's what she was designed to do.

EDIT: Wait, that article implies that all anti-shadow robots can use personas. That can't be true due to Labrys.

Labrys was an early model that was developed two gens before Aigis. Aigis's line is all dead, and Labrys is hinted at as being the first one to develop the potential of Persona. An anti-shadow weapon incapable of using a Persona is absolutely pointless, which is why they have a humanoid design in the first place.

In the early personas, if I'm remembering right, even though they were facing against demons, they needed personas because wielding one gave a person natural magic resistance. It's how they can survive being blasted with the elements.

FluxWaveZ

There's the part where the people with Mitsuru's dad are trying to shoot shadows with guns, to absolutely no effect. I think it's covered there.

http://youtu.be/CyffWgsrwkQ?t=50s

Cool, thanks. That leads me to wonder why Sho has a battle intro of him slicing through a Shadow, but there's a bunch of unknown and weird stuff about him, so he could just be an exception. Or that battle intro is just there for effect, heh.

Acid08

Banned
Cool, thanks. That leads me to wonder why Sho has a battle intro of him slicing through a Shadow, but there's a bunch of unknown and weird stuff about him, so he could just be an exception. Or that battle intro is just there for effect, heh.
He's gonna end up being a
Shadow similar to Teddie

I say this with no evidence :lol

Meia

He's gonna end up being a
Shadow similar to Teddie.

I say this with no evidence :lol

Funnily enough, that's probably why they go out of their way to make Teddie a non-combatant in Persona 4, since he doesn't have a Persona just yet. I wonder if a shadow can even damage one of their own?

May want to spoil your post like I spoiled the quote btw. :)

Tamanon

Banned
Funnily enough, that's probably why they go out of their way to make Teddie a non-combatant in Persona 4, since he doesn't have a Persona just yet. I wonder if a shadow can even damage one of their own?

May want to spoil your post like I spoiled the quote btw. :)

Well, if you confuse a shadow.....I'm pretty sure I've seen them hit their allies

Persona 1's play time log is capped at 99:59.
Guess, they weren't expecting me to play beyong 100hours.

ZMmAn92l.jpg

I'll throw my hat into the ring with Zen and Rei
are each OTHER'S shadows!
Er...somehow.

EE7OvF8.png

Why does Atlus make goofy happy faces for Kanji. Like he looks completely different from the rest of the character in those avatars, save Junpei. And he's one of the most serious characters. His face on the P4G boxart looks kinda goofy too.

Him and Junpei are WIERD in that.

does anyone know the koshiro track?

I'm guessing we'll know it when we hear it.

PK Gaming

EE7OvF8.png

Why does Atlus make goofy happy faces for Kanji. Like he looks completely different from the rest of the character in those avatars, save Junpei. And he's one of the most serious characters. His face on the P4G boxart looks kinda goofy too.

Just a moment

Kanji "make me into a man" Tatsumi is one of the more serious characters?

Kanji is pretty dang goofy...

Soriku

Just a moment

Kanji "make me into a man" Tatsumi is one of the more serious characters?

Kanji is pretty dang goofy...

Look at his face. He's totally serious about it.

Like even when Kanji is goofy he still has a serious face on (granted, they only used a limited number of portraits). But in that avatar it's comically exaggerated, especially when compared to everyone else.

FluxWaveZ

Oh man, imagine if they were showing the newest character? Really unlikely, though. In any case, looking forward to it... though I'll probably miss it live since I'll be going to the Sony conference theater thing.

Regarding Yu Namba and the P4U2 preview stream next week

https://twitter.com/UltraChenTV/status/475120321830617088

Hm... can't think of anything he'd actually be able or allowed to answer... except for whether or not it's region locked. That shit needs to be answered, explicitly.

PK Gaming

Look at his face. He's totally serious about it.

Like even when Kanji is goofy he still has a serious face on (granted, they only used a limited number of portraits). But in that avatar it's comically exaggerated, especially when compared to everyone else.

Still, It's just not his expression... his actions are generally pretty goofy and "larger-than-life." He's got his fair share of serious moments, but he's hardly alone in that regard.
That said, I know where you're coming from; I don't like Kanji's or Junpei's art either.

Uploaded the F.O.E. battle theme!

Uploaded the first two variations of the first dungeon theme, and the title screen theme.

More coming soon.

I'm loving this soundtrack. Thanks for uploading those songs!

What does Lotus Juice do in his streams? Saw he made one a couple of days ago and got curious. No archive D:

He just talks with whoever is on the chat. I'm usually there and we always talk about a bunch of stuff. Last night he made one and we talked about tomorrow's show in Argentina (because I'm gonna be there :D), and we also talked a little bit about the Persona Q soundtrack and about Kitajoh's style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom