• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ACTUALLY SAW IT!!!!!!!:

IMG_20140607_181144.jpg

Nice! Pretty darn jealous over here, haha

Ok guys, bad news.

At least one person so far can't compete in the King's Games B League on the 14th, so I'm going to try and figure out another time to run it.

Sorry guys :(

hao chi

Is a fighting pad better than the DS3? P4A is like the first fighting I have taken seriously, and I use the controller in it. I've been thinking about getting one.

Just to be sure: do you mean a fight pad or a fight stick? I don't have any experience with the former, but if you're talking about a fight stick, personally, I couldn't imagine going back to a controller for FG's. I find that a fight stick makes anything where you need to reliably hit the corner much easier, like instant airdashes and tiger knee motions. I also love how since I main Yukiko and sub SLab, I never have to change controls to use them on a fight stick, since Yukiko has combos that have you hold A and B, and SLab needs to be able to hold D to have Asterius block. On a pad, I would have to map those buttons to L1 and/or R1 to make it work, but on a fight stick one button config works for every character.

That's not to say you need a fight stick to do well though, since there's top players who play on a pad. Wolfkrone actually had a nasty pad C. Viper in SFIV, who is an extremely technical character who I believe is also pretty reliant on TK's (though Wolfkrone did finally switch to a stick :p).

BTW, are you on a better connection over the summer? I wouldn't mind playing you in P4A again if you're ever up for it.

Just to be sure: do you mean a fight pad or a fight stick? I don't have any experience with the former, but if you're talking about a fight stick, personally, I couldn't imagine going back to a controller for FG's. I find that a fight stick makes anything where you need to reliably hit the corner much easier, like instant airdashes and tiger knee motions. I also love how since I main Yukiko and sub SLab, I never have to change controls to use them on a fight stick, since Yukiko has combos that have you hold A and B, and SLab needs to be able to hold D to have Asterius block. On a pad, I would have to map those buttons to L1 and/or R1 to make it work, but on a fight stick one button config works for every character.

That's not to say you need a fight stick to do well though, since there's top players who play on a pad. Wolfkrone actually had a nasty pad C. Viper in SFIV, who is an extremely technical character who I believe is also pretty reliant on TK's (though Wolfkrone did finally switch to a stick :p).

BTW, are you on a better connection over the summer? I wouldn't mind playing you in P4A again if you're ever up for it.

He did for a bit. He's back to playing pad though.

P4GA looks so much better visually than the original.

How many episodes is P4GA compared to the original P4A, anyway? I guess they don't want to draw it out too long, but my main issue with P4A is how.. overly abridged it felt.

Young Magus

I knew it! I knew it was going to end there! Now I'm even more excited! I'm ready to cry with that movie.

Oh you will cry
Shit I was holding back tears like there was no tomorrow man ;-;

And also I have to ask this question: Is the movie leaning to a pairing at all, or is it just Makoto acting like an actual human? :p

No extreme paring towards anyone, but
the scenes where Makoto interacts with Yukari and Aigis are still in, and the film starts out with THAT scene on the Love Hotel boss fight. So yea....

Wow, wouldn't have expected them ending it there. Thanks for sharing Magus.

Glad you liked it. Did they cut anything from the games? What was the runtime?

Runtime was around 1h30-1h40. Nothing really got cut besides SLinks
(but there were in as a few cameos, and they also find out about Shinjis cooking)

arue

MSMrRound

Kinda slow to the news but are you guys saying that the P3 movies are no longer confirmed to be just a trilogy?

Also, I'm really kind of surprised and excited to hear that P4Dance is going to make an appearance at E3. I thought Atlus was only going to show Ultimax and maybe a bit of PersonaQ. I'm going to go and eat some crow now.

So...early 2015ish for P4D I'm guessing?

Kinda slow to the news but are you guys saying that the P3 movies are no longer confirmed to be just a trilogy?

Also, I'm really kind of surprised and excited to hear that P4Dance is going to make an appearance at E3. I thought Atlus was only going to show Ultimax and maybe a bit of PersonaQ. I'm going to go and eat some crow now.

For US? My guess would be mid-late Q1 2015 and we probably won't see P5 in the US until late summer at the absolute earliest.

Swedesu

A few months after P5 is what I'm guessing, and yup seems like there will be at least 4 movies, or 5 if they include the Answer as well.

Meia

I'm not sure they were ever confirmed to be a certain number of movies, we all just guessed I thought.

But yeah, way too many events left in the story to really make a 3rd movie conclude the Journey and not be incredibly rushed.

cj_iwakura

Decided to work on Maken Shao some last night, got up to Amsterdam.

Very experimental stuff for Meguro, but sometimes it gets a DDS vibe.

Vienna
Istanbul

One track I heard had a Svadhisthana vibe to it, but heck if I can remember it.

Also, boy is the PS2 version ugly. Doubt I'll go back to it. Doesn't even play as well as the DC version. Funny how it even has Messian/Gaian drama.

FluxWaveZ

For US? My guess would be mid-late Q1 2015 and we probably won't see P5 in the US until late summer at the absolute earliest.

If P5 is released in November/December 2014 in Japan, that would be an 8-9 month delay between release dates. Kinda weird when none of their recent games have had delays that long and Atlus USA stated they were focusing on releasing the games as closely to the Japanese release dates as possible, no?

Or probably "Dead Winter Days" since the first movie is called "Spring of Birth."

Oh yeah, from birth to death. I like that.

Meia

If P5 is released in November/December 2014 in Japan, that would be an 8-9 month delay between release dates. Kinda weird when none of their recent games have had delays that long and Atlus USA stated they were focusing on releasing the games as closely to the Japanese release dates as possible, no?

Oh yeah, from birth to death. I like that.

The only thing I really worry about is something Nich I think pointed out earlier, in that there's multiple companies making multiple persona games, but they're still all filtering through one company, Atlus USA.

I'd hope that there's such a concept of priorities and P5 has a mighty high one, but who realistically knows? Not knowing absolutely anything about P5's structure certainly doesn't help matters. :p

So movie 2 ends with
Shinjiro's death
huh. I guess one per season is actually feasible, especially given the naming conventions we have so far with a season in the title. I can't wait to actually get to see this one!

Is a fighting pad better than the DS3? P4A is like the first fighting I have taken seriously, and I use the controller in it. I've been thinking about getting one.

Did someone say Fightpad? This is my main area lol.

Basically a fightpad has the button layout of a fightstick in the form of a controller. If you ever played a game on the Sega Saturn you probably have a solid idea what a fightpad looks like already, since they're extremely similar. Like a fightstick you have 8 buttons, just that two of them are located on the shoulders rather than on the front. Dpad is the main input method, but most fightpads have a switch on them to choose if you're controlling Left Stick/Dpad/Right Stick, just like a fightstick.

Saturn controller
For comparison, a Madcatz pad vs a Madcatz stick
sf-iv-fightstick-fight-pad-001.jpg

If you really want one, Madcatz and Hori are your best bets. Avoid PDP brand, I have little positive to say about those lol. Importing a PS2 Saturn Pad and getting a reliable PS2/USB converter works too, though is much more expensive. Those PS2 Saturn pads are in high demand for good reason though, things seem to be excellent controllers.

Of course like Hao Chi said, you can do perfectly fine on a normal controller. Top players in several games go with the standard remote. Heck, TWILT over here does Dante combos on dualshock in Marvel 3 (that shit isn't easy lol). It's really all a matter of what you feel more comfortable with. Depending on the game I use fightpad or Dualshock, but I'm trying to ease into making my Fightpad my go-to for all of my fighting games, just simply to have a proper standard.

FluxWaveZ

The only thing I really worry about is something Nich I think pointed out earlier, in that there's multiple companies making multiple persona games, but they're still all filtering through one company, Atlus USA.

Sure, but that doesn't really tell us much. I'm sure Atlus USA is familiar with working on multiple projects simultaneously, and this time the main focus might just be the Persona games. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and Persona Q are going to be releasing close to each other, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened with P4D and P5.

Willsmith1991

Neo Member
I'm actually surprised that they are animating The answer too.
The feels that the ending of #4 and #5 will give me are gonna be insane LMFAO.

Yeah i can agree with that.

Yukari/aigis in the 5th film which i think covers The answer? yeah i'm looking forward to the catfight and physco Yukari

FluxWaveZ

Yeah i can agree with that.

Yukari/aigis in the 5th film which i think covers The answer? yeah i'm looking forward to the catfight and physco Yukari

I'm looking forward to the fade out at the end of the last P3 movie after the credits, where the camera then pans down to a grown up Mitsuru and Aigis saying stuff, and then everything cuts to black, teasing the P4A anime.

cj_iwakura

Did someone say Fightpad? This is my main area lol.

Basically a fightpad has the button layout of a fightstick in the form of a controller. If you ever played a game on the Sega Saturn you probably have a solid idea what a fightpad looks like already, since they're extremely similar. Like a fightstick you have 8 buttons, just that two of them are located on the shoulders rather than on the front. Dpad is the main input method, but most fightpads have a switch on them to choose if you're controlling Left Stick/Dpad/Right Stick, just like a fightstick.

Saturn controller

For comparison, a Madcatz pad vs a Madcatz stick
sf-iv-fightstick-fight-pad-001.jpg

If you really want one, Madcatz and Hori are your best bets. Avoid PDP brand, I have little positive to say about those lol. Importing a PS2 Saturn Pad and getting a reliable PS2/USB converter works too, though is much more expensive. Those PS2 Saturn pads are in high demand for good reason though, things seem to be excellent controllers.

Of course like Hao Chi said, you can do perfectly fine on a normal controller. Top players in several games go with the standard remote. Heck, TWILT over here does Dante combos on dualshock in Marvel 3 (that shit isn't easy lol). It's really all a matter of what you feel more comfortable with. Depending on the game I use fightpad or Dualshock, but I'm trying to ease into making my Fightpad my go-to for all of my fighting games, just simply to have a proper standard.

MC's pads are garbage. I have a Saturn-style USB controller, and it is divine.

FluxWaveZ

Shoryuken didn't do it, so here's someone's summary of the new P4AU character general gameplay details:
The short-fused former detective!
Main weapon: gun
Type: playful/taunting type
A character who deceives his opponent with tricky movements. He also has many ways to apply status ailments to the opponent, as well as strengthen himself.

kewlmyc

Was it confirmed they're animating The Answer? If they are, that's a surprise.

Nothing other than the second movie
ending at Shinji's death
has been confirmed. The whole 5 movies thing comes from the fact that a postcard that came with the collector edition of the first movie has 5 spots for stamps for 5 different P3 disc releases.

The movies are all named after seasons and there are 4 seasons, so people are speculating that the last movie will be the Answer.

Dantis

Some PQ tracks:

FOE Battle

Title theme

Wonderland, first floor

Wonderland, second floor

Sounds completely brilliant. Love the title theme.
Decided to work on Maken Shao some last night, got up to Amsterdam.

Very experimental stuff for Meguro, but sometimes it gets a DDS vibe.

Vienna
Istanbul

One track I heard had a Svadhisthana vibe to it, but heck if I can remember it.

Also, boy is the PS2 version ugly. Doubt I'll go back to it. Doesn't even play as well as the DC version. Funny how it even has Messian/Gaian drama.

Pretty interesting that you're so down on it. I was really impressed with how well it had aged.

Since they've updated the P4GA site to be a little more complete, I thought I'd whip up some Twitter avatars for the currently announced characters. There's four different variants, so even though only six characters have been revealed, there's a bit more variety! ;)

Examples:

yu_narukami___p4ga_twitter_avatar_by_darkside989-d7le6k2.png
yosuke_hanamura_____p4ga_twitter_avatar_2_by_darkside989-d7le6iw.png
chie_satonaka___p4ga_twitter_avatar_3_by_darkside989-d7le6hg.png
yukiko_amagi___p4ga_twitter_avatar_4_by_darkside989-d7le6kv.png

I'll add more as new characters are unveiled on the P4GA site-- enjoy! :D

MC's pads are garbage. I have a Saturn-style USB controller, and it is divine.

I'm still getting solid work out of my MC pad, then again it's the newer SFxT model. Some of my friends have the original SFIV ones, both in 360 and PS3 versions and they're still running strong too. Honestly if you keep your controllers in good shape I'd still recommend the MC ones, especially the SFxT version.

I'm more thinking of how long localization could take and how big the game is in regards to text and voice acting. Sure, I don't know a ton about how long that stuff takes, but I can't imagine it's a trivial process either. Of course, with Persona Q being near done (if I remember what CJ said correctly) then there's a highly likely chance I'm off.

March would be great to see, but the pessimist in me can't see it. Either way, I'll probably pre-order whatever special edition they release for Persona 5 (if they release one) and whichever for the English release as well.

LX_Theo

Banned
Honestly, outside of Maze of Life (plus title theme based on it) and Light the Fire Up in the Night, I'm pretty underwhelmed by PQ's soundtrack so far. Maybe I'm the only one.

FluxWaveZ

I almost think they're pulling grammatical errors on purpose. "You are slave", "comming", "gallely"... That or they just don't care about proofreading English.

Lemstar

I had half an essay written up, but I forgot to actually post my reply, and it's not needed anymore.

Whether or not buying a stick makes sense for you personally depends on your current level of comfort with stick and your long-term goals in the genre. Playing on stick is going to make more things easier than they would be on pad than the opposite (especially if you don't use a claw grip), but if you don't intend to make a serious commitment towards fighting games, you don't want an expensive piece of equipment taking up space in the house. Alternatively, if execution on your current pad is already not an obstacle, stick with what you know - learning stick back up to that level is going to take a lot of time away from working on other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom