• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think that was considered spoilers, but I will take that into consideration and not post any more PQ pictures in here, sorry guys.

Can you guys edit out the pics from your responses?

Just to be sure: do you mean a fight pad or a fight stick? I don't have any experience with the former, but if you're talking about a fight stick, personally, I couldn't imagine going back to a controller for FG's. I find that a fight stick makes anything where you need to reliably hit the corner much easier, like instant airdashes and tiger knee motions. I also love how since I main Yukiko and sub SLab, I never have to change controls to use them on a fight stick, since Yukiko has combos that have you hold A and B, and SLab needs to be able to hold D to have Asterius block. On a pad, I would have to map those buttons to L1 and/or R1 to make it work, but on a fight stick one button config works for every character.

That's not to say you need a fight stick to do well though, since there's top players who play on a pad. Wolfkrone actually had a nasty pad C. Viper in SFIV, who is an extremely technical character who I believe is also pretty reliant on TK's (though Wolfkrone did finally switch to a stick :p).

BTW, are you on a better connection over the summer? I wouldn't mind playing you in P4A again if you're ever up for it.

It was definitely a fight stick I was talking about, I didn't even know there was a difference to be honest :p Also yeah I just moved back home like 2 days ago, so I have a much more stable connection. I'd be down for playing anytime.

So movie 2 ends with
Shinjiro's death
huh. I guess one per season is actually feasible, especially given the naming conventions we have so far with a season in the title. I can't wait to actually get to see this one!

Did someone say Fightpad? This is my main area lol.

Basically a fightpad has the button layout of a fightstick in the form of a controller. If you ever played a game on the Sega Saturn you probably have a solid idea what a fightpad looks like already, since they're extremely similar. Like a fightstick you have 8 buttons, just that two of them are located on the shoulders rather than on the front. Dpad is the main input method, but most fightpads have a switch on them to choose if you're controlling Left Stick/Dpad/Right Stick, just like a fightstick.

Saturn controller

For comparison, a Madcatz pad vs a Madcatz stick
sf-iv-fightstick-fight-pad-001.jpg

If you really want one, Madcatz and Hori are your best bets. Avoid PDP brand, I have little positive to say about those lol. Importing a PS2 Saturn Pad and getting a reliable PS2/USB converter works too, though is much more expensive. Those PS2 Saturn pads are in high demand for good reason though, things seem to be excellent controllers.

Of course like Hao Chi said, you can do perfectly fine on a normal controller. Top players in several games go with the standard remote. Heck, TWILT over here does Dante combos on dualshock in Marvel 3 (that shit isn't easy lol). It's really all a matter of what you feel more comfortable with. Depending on the game I use fightpad or Dualshock, but I'm trying to ease into making my Fightpad my go-to for all of my fighting games, just simply to have a proper standard.

Thanks, I was looking at a Madcatz one, but since I'm decent enough on a controller, I didn't know if would be a waste of time. I think I'm going to get a little more practice in with my friend's stick before I buy one though.

I had half an essay written up, but I forgot to actually post my reply, and it's not needed anymore.

Whether or not buying a stick makes sense for you personally depends on your current level of comfort with stick and your long-term goals in the genre. Playing on stick is going to make more things easier than they would be on pad than the opposite (especially if you don't use a claw grip), but if you don't intend to make a serious commitment towards fighting games, you don't want an expensive piece of equipment taking up space in the house. Alternatively, if execution on your current pad is already not an obstacle, stick with what you know - learning stick back up to that level is going to take a lot of time away from working on other stuff.

I guess I didn't think of how much use I would get out of it outside of Arena and Ultimax heh. I'm decent enough on the DS3, but sometimes I feel it restricts me quite a bit though. If I end up getting Xrd, I'll probably end up buying a Madcatz stick. Thanks for the reply though.

I didn't think that was considered spoilers, but I will take that into consideration and not post any more PQ pictures in here, sorry guys.

Can you guys edit out the pics from your responses?

I too didn't realise that applied to all pictures, but I guess it makes sense.

I think I'm going to ask a mod to add "No PQ or P4U spoilers allowed!" or something in the title. Good idea?

lol, it's not like this has been suggested before or something....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=114692920&postcount=11759
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=114698875&postcount=11792
:3

I'm totally for it btw.

hao chi

It was definitely a fight stick I was talking about, I didn't even know there was a difference to be honest :p Also yeah I just moved back home like 2 days ago, so I have a much more stable connection. I'd be down for playing anytime.

Excellent. I had fun fighting you, but the lag was pretty bad the one time we played.

Thanks, I was looking at a Madcatz one, but since I'm decent enough on a controller, I didn't know if would be a waste of time. I think I'm going to get a little more practice in with my friend's stick before I buy one though.

I guess I didn't think of how much use I would get out of it outside of Arena and Ultimax heh. I'm decent enough on the DS3, but sometimes I feel it restricts me quite a bit though. If I end up getting Xrd, I'll probably end up buying a Madcatz stick. Thanks for the reply though.

Any chance you could borrow your friend's fight stick for a few days so you could get a good feel for it? Granted I got a fight stick shortly after I decided to really get into fighting games, so I didn't have as much pad experience, but after a few days I felt pretty competent on a fight stick. So maybe that'll be enough time for you to decide whether it's worth the investment for you.

I feel P4A is more pad-friendly that most other fighters, but it can still be done even for Xrd if you decide you prefer playing on a pad.

I think I'm gonna have to take a break from PersonaGAF when P5 releases in Japan
Pfft, I'm out of here the moment it's revealed. I don't want to see trailers, art, officially released screenshots, or even any speculation.

My entire exposure prior to release will hopefully consist of people's avatars probably.

Rhapsody

Banned
Both P3 and P4 I went ahead and saw the hour previews. While I doubt they'd do another one of those, I'll see if I can resist seeing info. I've actually avoided most of PQ aside from 4 videos or so. Even avoided the songs after release.

Excellent. I had fun fighting you, but the lag was pretty bad the one time we played.

Any chance you could borrow your friend's fight stick for a few days so you could get a good feel for it? Granted I got a fight stick shortly after I decided to really get into fighting games, so I didn't have as much pad experience, but after a few days I felt pretty competent on a fight stick. So maybe that'll be enough time for you to decide whether it's worth the investment for you.

I feel P4A is more pad-friendly that most other fighters, but it can still be done even for Xrd if you decide you prefer playing on a pad.

Yeah it was fun, but my university has a a pretty crappy internet connection haha. I'll definitely try to borrow it if I can pry him away from Ultra lol.

Sophia

I shall spoil myself everything on Persona Q, Ultimax, Dancing All Night, and Persona 5. And then I shall lord over my throne knowing I know all the spoilers
and can't discuss them at all.

>.>;

Rhapsody

Banned
I still never played you yet. I only entered your lobby and fought this really laggy match against some other guy.

Sadly I dunno if I even have a good connection with anyone here.

Sophia

...congradulations?

Yes! Congratulations are in order! Muahahah!

Joking aside tho, I can see why people would want to completely close themselves out from discussion. Even in this own thread we've had people accidentally spoil stuff without realizing it.

I still never played you yet. I only entered your lobby and fought this really laggy match against some other guy.

Oh yeah I remember that. Laggy people sometimes join my lobby, but I don't have the heart to kick them out lol. Like I told hao chi though, I'm home for the Summer now with a better connection, so I'm down to play anytime.

FluxWaveZ

Is it you I have a consistent 3 bars with or is it TWILT? Might be the latter.

Oh yeah I remember that. Laggy people sometimes join my lobby, but I don't have the heart to kick them out lol. Like I told hao chi though, I'm home for the Summer now with a better connection, so I'm down to play anytime.

You guys should join us in the IRC, there's always someone wanting to play in there.
All skill ranges too, from beginner to god tier, so you'll find someone who can give you a decent fight.

http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=#personagaf&server=globalgamers.net

Come join us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom