• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Everything is cheaper in Hong Kong.

Outside of actually getting it on release day, I think the most compelling reason for going digital is that it's way cheaper if you have people to share it with.

I have no interest in game sharing and, from the prices I've seen, importing/buying a Japanese PSN card to get the digital version of a game on Japanese PSN is always equal or even more than importing a physical copy.

tumblr_n5yc65jh8H1sthzylo1_500.png

tumblr_n5yc65jh8H1sthzylo2_500.png

Lemstar

I have no interest in game sharing and, from the prices I've seen, importing/buying a Japanese PSN card to get the digital version of a game on Japanese PSN is always equal or even more than importing a physical copy.
How much do the respective outlets charge for shipping and/or release-day delivery? I have to admit that I haven't looked too deeply into it, but I get the impression for the couple of fighting game launches I've been selling import shares for (BBCP, Love Max) that getting preorder copies late happens all the time.

Getting digital copies from the HK PSN store is more of a direct substitute for the JP PSN store, anyway. 500 HKD from the site I buy codes at is $73, and retail games are ~470 HKD, which leaves a bit left over. In comparison, buying 8000 yen is something like $90-100 and leaves a bigger chunk left as waste.

PK Gaming

Why not? Any derision anyone here has is ultimately pointless in that perspective.

I don't think I worded that right.

Don't deride Atlus for not doing something you wanted them to do, especially if it's completely unreasonable?

I just think it's a kind of arrogant to indulge in that kind of behavior. Hoping for something and demanding something are 2 very different things.

Squire

Banned

Don't deride Atlus for not doing something you wanted them to do, especially if it's completely unreasonable?

I just it's a kind of arrogant to indulge in that kind of behavior. Hoping for something and demanding for something are 2 different things.

Yep. Figured this was what you meant.

FluxWaveZ

How much do the respective outlets charge for shipping and/or release-day delivery? I have to admit that I haven't looked too deeply into it, but I get the impression for the couple of fighting game launches I've been selling import shares for (BBCP, Love Max) that getting preorder copies late happens all the time.

Getting digital copies from the HK PSN store is more of a direct substitute for the JP PSN store, anyway. 500 HKD from the site I buy codes at is $73, and retail games are ~470 HKD, which leaves a bit left over. In comparison, buying 8000 yen is something like $90-100 and leaves a bigger chunk left as waste.

In terms of games, I've imported P4A, BBCT and BBCP and I always got them on day 1 (and, in P4A's case, it might have even been a day early). That's not something I'm worried about. Looking at Play-Asia prices:

- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (SE) physical import w/ FedEx shipping = $95.44 CAD
- PSN 3k JPY card (~$42.58 CAD) + PSN 5k JPY card (~$65.51 CAD) = $108.09 CAD

And it's not just Play-Asia, but everywhere else I had checked before. It's not cheaper for me, or even more convenient. I haven't checked the HKD prices, though, but I don't know if they'd be much better.

Edit: Play-Asia lists the $500 HKD card at $78.62 CAD, which would be better than the other options, but I'm not aware if there's anything special regarding an HK PSN account compared to just a standard JPN account. I'll look into it, since, yeah, that would be more convenient and less expensive.

I just think it's a kind of arrogant to indulge in that kind of behavior. Hoping for something and demanding something are 2 very different things.
I don't recall anyone demanding anything--mostly just "shoulds." Which isn't unreasonable, that's all I consider criticism to be--shoulds. Should have done this, should have done that. That's completely harmless.

I think my point is that I don't like to see someone told to not voice their opinions on something as silly as videogames. Even if their opinion is dumb, worthless, arrogant, whatever.

Jintor

Well that was an okay cover album. Not too many standouts though, just maybe the Reach Out for the Truth MIX and the Pursuing your True Self Mix

todd360

I have a confession to make...

I want Persona 5 at E3 mostly to stop the fighting game talk in here. Sure its Persona and its new, but I just can't ever get into fighting games.

Edit: I miss the P5 plot predictions and stuff.

FluxWaveZ

I want Persona 5 at E3 mostly to stop the fighting game talk in here. Sure its Persona and its new, but I just can't ever get into fighting games.

Um, Persona 5 at E3 wouldn't stop fighting game talk within our community. Nor would it stop anime talk, art talk, movie talk or whatever else.

Rhapsody

Banned

Edit: I miss the P5 plot predictions and stuff.

The P5 plot predictions basically go nowhere though, so personally I don't find those too interesting.

The past pages have been about import sites, views on spoilers, and PQ anyways, haha.

Tamanon

Banned
Is there actually really any fighting game talk? There's talk of the characters, but not really in a fighting game sense, more the story.

todd360

Is there actually really any fighting game talk? There's talk of the characters, but not really in a fighting game sense, more the story.

The story pisses me off though. I want to read it, but I also don't want to buy the new game and go through every character again. I bought arena and played through it all to get the story and it got so boring after awhile. Half the p4 cast were living the same story haha. I just thought Arena was gonna be a one time thing you know. The only fighting games I like are the smash bros games. I just can't be bothered to memorize all the button combos and practice to get good at it.

FluxWaveZ

but I also don't want to buy the new game and go through every character again.

Huh? Why would you have to do that if you already played P4A's story?

And the complaint is also kind of weird, seeing how you can lower the difficulty for story mode and literally go through it just by mashing A.

Damn rip

Also I miss your Seth Killian avatar, how am I going to recognize you :(

The story pisses me off though. I want to read it, but I also don't want to buy the new game and go through every character again. I bought arena and played through it all to get the story and it got so boring after awhile. Half the p4 cast were living the same story haha. I just thought Arena was gonna be a one time thing you know. The only fighting games I like are the smash bros games. I just can't be bothered to memorize all the button combos and practice to get good at it.

As a fighting game nut, I definitely have to agree with you there. P4A was a big step in actually getting me into the Persona series, and although I don't play it much now, and kind of hate some stuff about it, I love P4A. And you don't realyl have to memorize all the combos, you can just hit AAAAAAA at least for story mode. Of course, for any online play, then yeah, you're going to need to practice, but that's just how it goes.

PK Gaming

I don't recall anyone demanding anything--mostly just "shoulds." Which isn't unreasonable, that's all I consider criticism to be--shoulds. Should have done this, should have done that. That's completely harmless.

I think my point is that I don't like to see someone told to not voice their opinions on something as silly as videogames. Even if their opinion is dumb, worthless, arrogant, whatever.

I wasn't putting my foot down and banning people from voicing their opinions. By all means, if you think Atlus is in the wrong for not doing what you want, then feel free to say it, I just think it's a pointless endeavor.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Todd, you do know that they are changing it around for Ultimax. With each game having a story that is theirs.

todd360

Huh? Why would you have to do that if you already played P4A's story?

And the complaint is also kind of weird, seeing how you can lower the difficulty for story mode and literally go through it just by mashing A.

Doesn't the new game have a new story? Also I wasn't complaining about story difficulty. I played on normal. I'm good enough to beat the computer on normal settings. I just mean competitively. Like I lose all interest in a fighting game after I beat story because I don't want to dedicate myself to the game so I can compete online.

Todd, you do know that they are changing it around for Ultimax. With each game having a story that is theirs.

You mean each character will have a distinct story?

Mdesilva

Doesn't the new game have a new story? Also I wasn't complaining about story difficulty. I played on normal. I'm good enough to beat the computer on normal settings. I just mean competitively. Like I lose all interest in a fighting game after I beat story because I don't want to dedicate myself to the game so I can compete online.

You mean each character will have a distinct story?
No, there's two story modes: Persona 3 and Persona 4. Not gonna be much repetition.

CorvoSol

PERSONA 2: ETERNAL PUNS

I just met Baofu.

And I want you all to know that this classy motherfucker is basically the best character in Persona 2. Like, I was #TeamKatsuya because of how sharp he looked, but fuckin' Baofu man.

BAOFU.

Fuck yeah.

FluxWaveZ

http://p-atlus.jp/p4u2/story/

That's how the story is divided. And, I see, but then why can't you just ignore the competitive aspect while just appreciating the story aspect of the game?

I guess all I'm trying to wonder is the point of expressing dislike about certain topics of discussion here. There are several that don't appeal to me, but I can just ignore them.

Vivi239

Neo Member

I just met Baofu.

And I want you all to know that this classy motherfucker is basically the best character in Persona 2. Like, I was #TeamKatsuya because of how sharp he looked, but fuckin' Baofu man.

BAOFU.

Fuck yeah.

Yes.

DNAbro

So is it two or four haha? How did this never come up in all the ultimax discussions I read here. I'm far more interested now if it won't have the same boring repetition.

well when you ignore the ultimax posts, you are going to miss things.

Also i don't think we know what the other 2 stories are yet.

EDIT: oh it's a DLC story of the original. so is the last one "DLC character" story?

Mdesilva

So is it two or four haha? How did this never come up in all the ultimax discussions I read here. I'm far more interested now if it won't have the same boring repetition.
It's four, but two are DLC (
Adachi
and original P4A story mode again, probably without much repetition either like the CT recap in Blazblue: CS)

Squire

Banned
As Tamanon noted, there really isn't any technical FG lingo being thrown around in this thread. It's all story talk. The competitive aspect is rarely mentioned aside from some light tourney talk.

Sophia

It came up a lot actually. We were discussing it some time back, especially Flux.

And there's four story modes: P3, P4, a seemingly unannounced one (
Episode Adachi
), and the story mode for the original game.

FluxWaveZ

well when you ignore the ultimax posts, you are going to miss things.

Also i don't think we know what the other 2 stories are yet.

Episode P4U
Episode P3
Episode P4
Episode
Adachi
(requires completion of Episode P4 before initiating)

Those are the ones that are known as of yet.

and original P4A story mode again, probably without much repetition either like the CT recap in Blazblue: CS)

Oh wow, I hadn't considered that. Now I might actually have a reason to go through Episode P4U.

I just met Baofu.

BAOFU.

Fuck yeah.

Baofu is awesome, you'll come to really like him as the story goes on.
Baofu_p2ep.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom