• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

It is a god damn weird game all around. I think the story revolves around Nakajima's summoning computer breaking and so you have to wander all over the maps in a semi-non-linear fashion to get the parts to put it back together? It's been a while. All I know is that unless you're like one of five Japanese collectors that actually thought to keep their manuals when that version of the game came out, you're gonna get lost basically as soon as the game starts unless you follow a wiki religiously. And even then the visuals are bad enough that you can still lose you way pretty easily. Interesting tangent when it comes to series history, though. Imagine what would have happened if THAT had been the successful version of Megami Tensei back in the day. ;D

One of these days I want to get a PC-88 just to try out all the weird and obscure Japanese games for it. At least the ones that aren't visual novels anyhow. >_>;

Zebetite

Banned
Having played a lot of Sega's Japan only output in recent years, I'd say the talent is still there; it's just that it's mostly not being localized obviously so nobody else really knows what they're up to anymore. Valkyria Chronicles 3, my favorite of the bunch, did finally get that patch earlier this year, but that translation... eh.... That's not how I would have written that story, at least. I think Nagoshi from Team Yakuza also does good stuff, but I don't think he's worked on anything outside that franchise aside from Binary Domain and his games are now seemingly in that unfortunate bubble of not being localized, so yeah, if you're not like me, I can see why people would argue that Sega proper is dead to a lot of people in the West. If I have the time, I do want to contribute to translation efforts for games like Yakuza when they open up, but don't hold me to that! ;D

I haven't played any of the Yakuza games (even the ones we did get), but they're super-duper on my radar. I'm a really big fan of Amusement Vision's work, and it seems like a lot of their talent (including Nagoshi!) got put on that series during the Sega Sammy shakeup business. If those games are even half as good as Super Monkey Ball 1&2 and F-Zero GX, then they're probably more than worth my time.

I'm just not ready for the heartbreak of playing the Yakuza games we got and realizing that I won't get to play any new ones. Until "Pepsiman Presents: Yakuza 5", of course! ;D

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
One of these days I want to get a PC-88 just to try out all the weird and obscure Japanese games for it. At least the ones that aren't visual novels anyhow. >_>;

It and the PC-98 are neat platforms that are definitely worth checking out. I've been trying to educate myself a bit on them this year just because they're kind of a historical dead end for Japanese games in terms of lasting legacy that I feel it's worth knowing just to have a better overall idea of how that part of the industry has developed. You are right that it's a metric shit ton of visual novels, some of which are pretty amazing visually for their time and are where companies like Square and Enix both got their starts way back in the day, but there's still a good amount of more accessible action-y stuff that not all hope is lost. Super neat stuff and not unlike European PC gaming on stuff like the Commodore 64 and Amiga during that era; just kind of off doing its own thing minding its own business while the consoles duked it out.

I haven't played any of the Yakuza games (even the ones we did get), but they're super-duper on my radar. I'm a really big fan of Amusement Vision's work, and it seems like a lot of their talent (including Nagoshi!) got put on that series during the Sega Sammy shakeup business. If those games are even half as good as Super Monkey Ball 1&2 and F-Zero GX, then they're probably more than worth my time.

I'm just not ready for the heartbreak of playing the Yakuza games we got and realizing that I won't get to play any new ones. Until "Pepsiman Presents: Yakuza 5", of course! ;D

Right, I forgot about that history! Nagoshi's been on Yakuza so long that I forgot about what he actually did before that, ahaha. I haven't played all of them because they're super serious time sinks, but I will say that they probably have the best environmental designs I've ever seen in a game. A lot of people talk about realism in games in terms of just polygon count and lighting models, but only Yakuza games actually make me miss my home back in Japan because of how true to life everything is laid out there. That and the story is just the right mix of realistic and ridiculous and the combat's pretty neat! Hard to say how it compares to Amusement Vision's stuff because it's so diametrically different, but they're one of a handful of teams I see in modern Sega that justify me still liking it as a developer.

And yes, Yakuza 5 is indeed one of those games I hope to work on one of these days. ;D I think GAF has had too many ups and downs over whether it's ever coming out for someone like me to not work on it eventually at least. Enormous game, but super neat in its own right.

Sophia

As usual, I've uploaded yet another PQ track! I'm sorry for posting so many songs in this thread. I'll stop if anyone wants.

As long as the titles aren't spoilers and no mods complain, keep it up. I love hearing the music. :D

It's and the PC-98 are neat platforms that are definitely worth checking out. I've been trying to educate myself a bit on them this year just because they're kind of a historical dead end for Japanese games in terms of lasting legacy that I feel it's worth knowing just to have a better overall idea of how that part of the industry has developed. You are right that it's a metric shit ton of visual novels, some of which are pretty amazing visually for their time and are where companies like Square and Enix both got their starts way back in the day, but there's still a good amount of more accessible action-y stuff that not all hope is lost. Super neat stuff and not unlike European PC gaming on stuff like the Commodore 64 and Amiga during that era; just kind of off doing its own thing minding its own business while the consoles duked it out.

Hmm... did Atlus release anything for either computer? At any rate, recently I've been into the Ys games again, and I'd love to try out the original versions of Ys 1/2/3. The other Falcom stuff too...

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Hmm... did Atlus release anything for either computer? At any rate, recently I've been into the Ys games again, and I'd love to try out the original versions of Ys 1/2/3. The other Falcom stuff too...

I don't think so. Not Gauntlet was done by another developer entirely and I don't think Atlus started doing anything on PC until Giten Megami Tensei. They might have put something out for some version of the MSX, but don't hold me to that. That early part of their history is surprisingly not all that well documented online even in Japanese, though, so who knows? Pretty much every third party developer of note in those days put out something for those PCs, so Atlus at least would be an odd man out if they didn't put out anything at all.

I fear for the hype train for P5. The way people react to P4G (especially people without a lot of prior knowledge to the series) makes me sure that people are going to get waaaaaaaay over hyped and create unrealistic expectations.

Of course if it lives it up to said hype that'll be great. But man, the thread for the first trailer/character art is going to be absolutely insane.

Zebetite

Banned
I fear for the hype train for P5. The way people react to P4G (especially people without a lot of prior knowledge to the series) makes me sure that people are going to get waaaaaaaay over hyped and create unrealistic expectations.

Of course if it lives it up to said hype that'll be great. But man, the thread for the first trailer/character art is going to be absolutely insane.

All I'm really expecting is a really good video game (with great art and music!) that is a JRPG and involves summoning Personas for the greater good.

I'll take everything else as it comes!

FluxWaveZ

If it's a great game, I don't think a minority of people pumping their expectations up into the stratosphere will affect the game's overall reception by much at all. Ultimately, if it's a wonderful game, people will love it. If it's not, people won't. A highly enthusiastic and reactive audience on message boards will just impact pre-release impressions based on little data, but all of that always settles down once a game is actually released and people experience it for themselves.

I've always wondered. Why have we never seen any Atlus leaks, like a P5 trailer leak? I'm guessing Atlus is very good at keeping things secret or behind closed doors.

Can't sleep, so I did what any normal person would do and made a few avatars. Feel free to use them:

zcsaT2t.png
D8KKwNB.png
LG2l0tF.png

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I've always wondered. Why have we never seen any Atlus leaks, like a P5 trailer leak? I'm guessing Atlus is very good at keeping things secret or behind closed doors.

I can't speak for how they operate now, but I've been subtitling a documentary they produced on Nocturne's development off and on and the narration for that states that at least back then they ran a really tight ship and didn't let anybody into the development side most of the time unless they were actually developers themselves. Even the documentary footage provides only a super focused look at a handful of mostly nondescript areas like Hashino and Meguro's work areas, although you do catch glimpses here and there of the research materials they use to write their games, which is neat. I feel like Japanese developers are a lot less prone to having information leak out compared to the West, potentially because of differences in workplace cultures and mentalities towards whistleblowers and whatnot, although I don't have any numbers to corroborate this suspicion.

FluxWaveZ

I can't speak for how they operate now, but I've been subtitling a documentary they produced on Nocturne's development off and on and the narration for that states that at least back then they ran a really tight ship and didn't let anybody into the development side most of the time unless they were actually developers themselves. Even the documentary footage provides only a super focused look at a handful of mostly nondescript areas like Hashino and Meguro's work areas, although you do catch glimpses here and there of the research materials they use to write their games, which is neat. I feel like Japanese developers are a lot less prone to having information leak out compared to the West, potentially because of differences in workplace cultures and mentalities towards whistleblowers and whatnot, although I don't have any numbers to corroborate this suspicion.

There'd also be Atlus USA to consider as well, but the philosophy of the Japanese studio probably extends to the North American one. Projects might be on a need-to-know basis, with core members of the localization team having the most knowledge of their internal projects before PR or something.

I'm basically after the first trailer gonna go off the radar for a few days.

cbq

Hi PersonaGAF!

My journey started with P3P last summer and I have finished P4G last month. It's Persona on PSP time now. (Gotta love sidestepping into walls)

Can't wait for Persona 5 tomorrow :p

Nachos

Hi PersonaGAF!

My journey started with P3P last summer and I have finished P4G last month. It's Persona on PSP time now. (Gotta love sidestepping into walls)

Welcome! Who's your favorite character?

Depending on your answer, I may have to reverse our social link!

Willsmith1991

Neo Member
PQ spoilers for a funny side thing

Yu is taking advantage of Yukari while Makoto is flirting with Chie (depicted in one of the trailers). MC rivalry confirmed :p

...I don't know what to say about the second picture.

So before i start i am going to tread carefully here because i dont wanna upset anyone with spoilers for PQ so i removed the links from the quote.

May i ask if this romance is canon or optional in PQ? and can it be with anyone like YuxYosuke for example?

Is it going to be P3MC V P4MC Pimp swag battle?

Sophia

So before i start i am going to tread carefully here because i dont wanna upset anyone with spoilers for PQ so i removed the links from the quote.

May i ask if this romance is canon or optional in PQ? and can it be with anyone like YuxYosuke for example?

Is it going to be P3MC V P4MC Pimp swag battle?

See the spoiler rules for Persona 5 in the original post? While it's not explicitly stated, that's pretty much good advice to follow for all of the upcoming games. In this case, you're fine, as Buddha has edited his post so it's no longer breaking the rules posted there. Originally, it was, which is why people got on his case. Just make sure to mark your spoilers properly, and don't embed any images that are obviously spoilers.

To answer your question regarding Persona Q and the images buddha posted....
This is, from my understanding, a funny (possibly optional?) event that happens in the second dungeon. It's not meant to be canonical.

I'm in the second labyrinth in PQ, and so far, it's really hard. I guess I need to grind more.

It looked pretty hard from the videos I saw being played on Risky difficulty. Reassuring to know it's got that classic Atlus charm. What difficulty are you playing on btw?

It looked pretty hard from the videos I saw being played on Risky difficulty. Reassuring to know it's got that classic Atlus charm. What difficulty are you playing on btw?

I'm playing on SAFETY, because I want to experience the story and everything else. Even on SAFETY, it's still challenging, except you get to continue the battle if you die, like in P4G.

Sophia

I'm playing on SAFETY, because I want to experience the story and everything else. Even on SAFETY, it's still challenging, except you get to continue the battle if you die, like in P4G.

.... also reassuring to know that Safety is not a walk through the park like it was in Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden. =P

Willsmith1991

Neo Member
See the spoiler rules for Persona 5 in the original post? While it's not explicitly stated, that's pretty much good advice to follow for all of the upcoming games. In this case, you're fine, as Buddha has edited his post so it's no longer breaking the rules posted there. Originally, it was, which is why people got on his case. Just make sure to mark your spoilers properly, and don't embed any images that are obviously spoilers.

This is, from my understanding, a funny (possibly optional?) event that happens in the second dungeon. It's not meant to be canonical.

Yeah ill keep that in mind thanks!

Cool, troll time with pairings =)

Nachos

Oh man, this cover of Time To Make History is so amazing(
ly bad, poor singer
)

Those high notes :<

/edit holy shit this Beach mix of Reach Out To the Truth though
Yeah, this definitely strikes me as something that would be at a doujin music event, like Comiket or M3. I don't know if you're familiar with zine communities at all, but it's the music equivalent of that; something quick and transient you can pump out to flex your creative muscles, but not really anything meant to be a substantive commercial work. It wouldn't surprise me if the band sold the album for really cheap (more just to recoup travel costs) and the album was only available at conventions like that.
I have a confession to make...

I want Persona 5 at E3 mostly to stop the fighting game talk in here. Sure its Persona and its new, but I just can't ever get into fighting games.

Edit: I miss the P5 plot predictions and stuff.
That's the good thing about a community thread, though; a number of conversations can go on concurrently. If you don't see something you want to talk about, why not start it up yourself?

Nachos

I'm making two posts so no one quoting me has to see the spoilers:
I couldn't find what Buddha posted, but if it's about the "love tester," I believe it's mandatory, but since you can pair with anyone, even Koromaru (who grows human arms in that bridal scene, bizarrely enough), I don't know if the result of the multiple choice test has any bearing on other parts of the game.

Nachos

Do we have an official date for the Western Release of PQ yet?
If it's like EO Untold was last year, we'll know by the middle of E3. There's no way they're going to promote their games there without having a date they can push alongside them. Dancing and 5 might be another story, though.

Makoto, I think. But maybe it's because P3 is the first Persona game I played.

P3 spoilers:
bring Makoto back for P4U2!
Cool. I generally prefer the more structured characters rather than the player ones, since they've got more of an overt character arc, but I know a lot of people here have Makoto as a favorite, too. Who were your favorite party members?

Dantis

Man, the PQ OST is so good. Love the normal version of Laser Beam.

EDIT: A lot of the guitar-driven tracks sound very P2P to me. Anyone else think so?

I'm gonna need to hear more but so far the Persona Q soundtrack isn't blowing my mind. A few good tracks but nothing outstanding. So far my favorites are the battle theme (P3 version especially), FOE theme, and the school theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLFbDUby94w

What songs aren't impressing you? Listen to the title theme and Laser Beam.

Swedesu

Man, the PQ OST is so good. Love the normal version of Laser Beam.

EDIT: A lot of the guitar-driven tracks sound very P2P to me. Anyone else think so?

Yeah the OST is something else, getting a serious Unbreakable Tie vibe, especially so from Light the Fire.

cbq

Cool. I generally prefer the more structured characters rather than the player ones, since they've got more of an overt character arc, but I know a lot of people here have Makoto as a favorite, too. Who were your favorite party members?
I haven't really thought about it. I only played Makoto route in P3P so I'm not familiar with male SEES social links, but I know Mitsuru is the bestest waifu :p Not too fond of Yukari. Oh, and Koromaru is cool.
http://undersaffiresky.tumblr.com/post/51482615731/waiting-in-vain-you-had-one-job-minato
Dem feels. Glad to see he's doing good in P4U2.

In P4 i think I like everyone about equally. Yosuke can sometimes be a dick though. Don't know what to say about Naoto, because she joined so late, and Rise can be a little iritating. Yukiko is da best waifu in P4!
Too much waifu talking :p

Man, the PQ OST is so good. Love the normal version of Laser Beam

From what I've heard I like it quite a lot. It's getting me hyped for the game. The wait is going to be unbearable.

If it's like EO Untold was last year, we'll know by the middle of E3. There's no way they're going to promote their games there without having a date they can push alongside them. Dancing and 5 might be another story, though.
Yeah I can see us getting release dates for Ultimax and Q at E3, it's probably the only somewhat realistic wish I have going into E3 lol. Not so much the other two games just yet, though.

Willsmith1991

Neo Member
I haven't really thought about it. I only played Makoto route in P3P so I'm not familiar with male SEES social links, but I know Mitsuru is the bestest waifu :p Not too fond of Yukari. Oh, and Koromaru is cool.
http://undersaffiresky.tumblr.com/post/51482615731/waiting-in-vain-you-had-one-job-minato
Dem feels. Glad to see he's doing good in P4U2.

In P4 i think I like everyone about equally. Yosuke can sometimes be a dick though. Don't know what to say about Naoto, because she joined so late, and Rise can be a little iritating. Yukiko is da best waifu in P4!
Too much waifu talking :p

From what I've heard I like it quite a lot. It's getting me hyped for the game. The wait is going to be unbearable.

AigisxMakoto the OTP =)

Caladrius

Hi PersonaGAF!

Welcome to The end of the world Pre-E3 NeoGAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom