• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

PERSONA 2: ETERNAL PUNS

I just met Baofu.

And I want you all to know that this classy motherfucker is basically the best character in Persona 2. Like, I was #TeamKatsuya because of how sharp he looked, but fuckin' Baofu man.

BAOFU.

Fuck yeah.

tumblr_mc0dnnWf7p1rg9gfzo1_500.png

Bro, do you even Persona?

Baofu's design was ruined for me once I realized he had a really nasty beard at the edge of his chin. It's like... a seaweed fringe on a piece of flotsam.

I wasn't putting my foot down and banning people from voicing their opinions. By all means, if you think Atlus is in the wrong for not doing what you want, then feel free to say it, I just think it's a pointless endeavor.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Alright, that's fine.

todd360

http://p-atlus.jp/p4u2/story/

That's how the story is divided. And, I see, but then why can't you just ignore the competitive aspect while just appreciating the story aspect of the game?

I guess all I'm trying to wonder is the point of expressing dislike about certain topics of discussion here. There are several that don't appeal to me, but I can just ignore them.

My problem is that the story in fighting games never seems to be worth 45-60 dollars alone. Hardcore fighting games pretty much require you to play competitively to get your money out of the game.

Sorry about expressing my dislike. I just have been getting really bored here lately. I log on to check out personagaf and you guys are talking about how viable junpei will be for example. I'm sorry guys just forget I said anything. I will patiently wait until p5 news and then contribute to the discussions.

Sophia

My problem is that the story in fighting games never seems to be worth 45-60 dollars alone. Hardcore fighting games pretty much require you to play competitively to get your money out of the game.

Sorry about expressing my dislike. I just have been getting really bored here lately. I log on to check out personagaf and you guys are talking about how viable junpei will be for example. I'm sorry guys just forget I said anything. I will patiently wait until p5 news and then contribute to the discussions.

Golden Arena mode should fix that for you, and the story mode is practically guaranteed to be more beefy than the first game. Already we've seen more animated cutscenes, for example. With any luck, the online features will be comparable to the new BlazBlue which will allow you to play much more casually, especially with us at GAF.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the hardcore talk tho. I keep up to date on this thread far more than anyone else in here, and it rarely goes into that kind of talk.

FluxWaveZ

Sorry about expressing my dislike. I just have been getting really bored here lately. I log on to check out personagaf and you guys are talking about how viable junpei will be for example.

That's just false. Or maybe it isn't, but if it isn't that means you really don't pay much attention to this thread.

Baofu's design was ruined for me once I realized he had a really nasty beard at the edge of his chin. It's like... a seaweed fringe on a piece of flotsam.

Weird, just noticed that myself. Never noticed it before, oddly enough. Not a fan.

Golden Arena mode should fix that for you, and the story mode is practically guaranteed to be more beefy than the first game. Already we've seen more animated cutscenes, for example. With any luck, the online features will be comparable to the new BlazBlue which will allow you to play much more casually, especially with us at GAF.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the hardcore talk tho. I keep up to date on this thread far more than anyone else in here, and it rarely goes into that kind of talk.

Yeah, we mostly go into that type of talk on Twitter or IRC, but even then, it's more just catch-all fighting game talk.

And yeah, I'm actually looking forward to P4A2's story mode! I never finished the first one (though I read up on it so I know most of what happened) but with how consolidated this will be, I'll be more looking forward to doing it this time around.

CorvoSol

I actually really like the cop and crook dynamic Katsman and Baofu have. Also I feel bad for Ulala cuz everyone has a glam job but her.

FluxWaveZ

Always like seeing a P4(G) praise thread. It's like I feel Persona becoming more powerful with each one, heh. (I want P5 to take over the world)

Some are discussing how there've been so many spin-offs focusing on P4 in there and general milking. I wonder if there'll be some kind of paradigm shift starting in 2015, after P5 is out. We've discussed it before, but it particularly feels right now that they're making a concerted effort to pull off one last big P3/P4 rush before the new hotness is out, and then things will change. Then again, though, the P3 movies will continue going past P5's release for a bit, and a PQ, P4D and P4AU sequel are not unlikely.

redhairedking

Always like seeing a P4(G) praise thread. It's like I feel Persona becoming more powerful with each one, heh.

Some are discussing how there've been so many spin-offs focusing on P4 in there and general milking. I wonder if there'll be some kind of paradigm shift starting in 2015, after P5 is out. We've discussed it before, but it particularly feels right now that they're making a concerted effort to pull off one last big P3/P4 rush before the new hotness is out, and then things will change. Then again, though, the P3 movies will continue going past P5's release for a bit, and a PQ, P4D and P4AU sequel are not unlikely.

It's been a growing trend it seems to make sequels and reuse assets instead of coming up with entirely new games, so I can't say I'm surprised by the milking of the P3 and P4 characters and expect the trend to continue with P5. I feel like fighting games might become commonplace for the franchise, though I can't see PQ or the dancing game really going anywhere.

FluxWaveZ

It's been a growing trend it seems to make sequels and reuse assets instead of coming up with entirely new games, so I can't say I'm surprised by the milking of the P3 and P4 characters and expect the trend to continue with P5. I feel like fighting games might become commonplace for the franchise, though I can't see PQ or the dancing game really going anywhere.

P5 will be milked for sure, but I think the question is whether P3 and P4 will continue to be as well, or if something like a P6 will be released closely to P5 and then it'll mostly be the turn of those two games.

Someone did what I did for the Ken trailer to the
Adachi
navigator in P4AU, heh.

redhairedking

Uploaded the second dungeon theme!

Ohhhhh, I like this, thanks!

P5 will be milked for sure, but I think the question is whether P3 and P4 will continue to be as well, or if something like a P6 will be released closely to P5 and then it'll mostly be the turn of those two games.

Someone did what I did for the Ken trailer to the
Adachi
navigator in P4AU, heh.

I think that once P5 is released they'll tone it down on the P3/P4 stuff, but I can't see them ever getting demoted to P1/P2 status. Also, that Adachi navigator would be great!

Rhapsody

Banned
With so many people getting into Persona because of P4, Persona 5 has a lot to live up to.

Expectations are definitely high, and Atlus doesn't have the benefit of reusing lots of assets or even as many ideas since it's almost starting fresh.

I could see them doing another PQ and Dancing all night type games if they're successful enough.

With so many people getting into Persona because of P4, Persona 5 has a lot to live up to.

Expectations are definitely high, and Atlus doesn't have the benefit of reusing lots of assets or even as many ideas since it's almost starting fresh.

But they can totally reuse the assets for Persona 6. :V

And we would all still buy it.

CorvoSol

I'm not worried about Persona 5. I mean, Arena's story mode blew in the way it chose to present itself, but segments of the story were still great, and P3P's new social links were also really solid. Arena and Dancing seem to thrive off the "whatever it is a spin off let's just have fun" but P5 they'll bring their A-game.

Arena's story feels like it had two writers--one who really wanted to make a goofy as hell reference laden crossover (Catsuits! Boxed lunches! Kanji!) and one who really wanted to tell a pretty damn serious story (Labrys's story takes itself very seriously). They don't play off of each other very well.

CorvoSol

I will never be upset about fur coat cat suit Mitsuru, though. Honestly her sword having a red blade upsets me way more.

EDIT: Actually, Persona 2 has ruined me now. I wish the cast of Persona 4 would dress more outlandishly so they'd fit in with the casts of 3 and 2.

Arena's story feels like it had two writers--one who really wanted to make a goofy as hell reference laden crossover (Catsuits! Boxed lunches! Kanji!) and one who really wanted to tell a pretty damn serious story (Labrys's story takes itself very seriously). They don't play off of each other very well.

You said catsuit and for a second I wasn't sure if that was the origin of the Naoto picture, lol

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, the hype for the game might turn out to be detrimental to the game's reception (though I have faith in P Studio and Atlus USA's localization to deliver). However, the fact that P5 has the "fresh" factor going for it, along with it being a PS3 game is a good thing, too.

But they can totally reuse the assets for Persona 6. :V

And we would all still buy it.

Well, I mean, they kind of should. They didn't devote the time and money to develop an engine for Persona 5 just so it could be applied to a single game (and same potentially goes for assets such as Persona models, enemy models, etc.). For the most part, Atlus doesn't reuse assets lazily, so I'm for whatever streamlines a potential sequel's development process, especially if it means we won't have to wait another 6-7 years for one.

Zebetite

Banned
Some really dumb part of my brain just decided that after Persona 5, P-Studio should make a new Jet Set Radio game. Just to branch out, or something. The Catherine of its day, if you will. Except, y'know. A Jet Set Radio game. With a sick Shoji Meguro x Hideki Naganuma collab soundtrack.

Just wanted y'all to know that.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Not that it makes it any better or worse, but it helps to remember that Atlus porting and rereleases games has pretty much more or less been going on since either the original SMT on the SNES or even the original MT on the Famicom if you want to count Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei. Up until the Persona 2/PS2 era in general, I'm pretty sure that most every notable game they put out (read: not stuff like Majin Tensei) saw at least one port, with a lot of them getting several just within a handful of years. Even Persona 1 appeared on Windows PCs over there after the fact, for instance. If it feels more noticeable nowadays, it may well be because that trend by and large subsided in the years following SMT's official launch overseas with Nocturne and has only flared up again with Persona specifically and while 3 and 4 have had a lot of rereleases, SMT 1 and 2 alone put them to shame, let alone before any other games enter the equation. To be fair, the merchandising and licensing surrounding Persona specifically has probably been stronger than what the SMT games ever got, but there's still some obtuse stuff that I see pop up when I shop around on Amazon Japan, so I wouldn't disregard that past history entirely.

Personally I'm ultimately pretty okay with it overall. Fans may always prefer entirely new content over rereleases, but if that stuff is a sign of success in its own right, I'd rather see Atlus keep going down that path when its has to for its existing games in order to make the new ones that it does produce than either go out of business or lose its edge as a developer like a lot of the other mainstay RPG houses seemingly have in recent times. If my copies of Persona Magazine are anything to go by, some of it may be a blatant cash grab for fan affections, but at least they make sure you're getting a quality product out of it.

Some really dumb part of my brain just decided that after Persona 5, P-Studio should make a new Jet Set Radio game. Just to branch out, or something. The Catherine of its day, if you will. Except, y'know. A Jet Set Radio game. With a sick Shoji Meguro x Hideki Naganuma collab soundtrack.

Just wanted y'all to know that.

I hope Sega still lets Atlus take a stab at some of their dormant IPs like they said a few months back. Doesn't have to be P Studio specifically; I feel like there's enough diversity in Sega's portfolio that a lot of them could probably be done well by most any of their teams.

I mean first they should ignore the sales of Trauma Team and make a Trauma Team 2, but I digress.
ibakvDZWqh2fEU.gif

Sophia

Not that it makes it any better or worse, but it helps to remember that Atlus porting and rereleases games has pretty much more or less been going on since either the original SMT on the SNES or even the original MT on the Famicom if you want to count Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei. Up until the Persona 2/PS2 era in general, I'm pretty sure that most every notable game they put out (read: not stuff like Majin Tensei) saw at least one port, with a lot of them getting several just within a handful of years. Even Persona 1 appeared on Windows PCs over there after the fact, for instance. If it feels more noticeable nowadays, it may well be because that trend by and large subsided in the years following SMT's official launch overseas with Nocturne and has only flared up again with Persona specifically and while 3 and 4 have had a lot of rereleases, SMT 1 and 2 alone put them to shame, let alone before any other games enter the equation. To be fair, the merchandising and licensing surrounding Persona specifically has probably been stronger than what the SMT games ever got, but there's still some obtuse stuff that I see pop up when I shop around on Amazon Japan, so I wouldn't disregard that past history entirely.

Personally I'm ultimately pretty okay with it overall. Fans may always prefer entirely new content over rereleases, but if that stuff is a sign of success in its own right, I'd rather see Atlus keep going down that path when its has to for its existing games in order to make the new ones that it does produce than either go out of business or lose its edge as a developer like a lot of the other mainstay RPG houses seemingly have in recent times. If my copies of Persona Magazine are anything to go by, some of it may be a blatant cash grab for fan affections, but at least they make sure you're getting a quality product out of it.

Heh.... there's like HOW many versions of the original SMT?

• SNES
  • Sega CD
  • PC Engine
  • Virtual Console
  • Playstation
  • Android
  • GBA
  • iOS
Something like that... it's on a looot of systems and re-released a lot of times. >_>

Xenoflare

I have a feeling that P5 is going to be like the original P3, where everything is very ambitious and new. It could mean that Atlus might spread themselves a bit too thin. While P6 focuses on honing the details of the game kinda like the original P3/P4.

Having said that... P5 is a bit late into the generation. Unless Atlus is willing to make P6 within 2 years after P5, I don't think we'll see it on PS3.

But here's to hope P5 portable.
I'll even play it if it's on the 3DS

Also WHY AREN'T THERE NEW NEWS FOR DEVIL SURVIVOR 2 3DS UGH PLZ DON'T CANCEL IT ATLUS

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!

• SNES
  • Sega CD
  • PC Engine
  • Virtual Console
  • Playstation
  • Android
  • GBA
  • iOS
Something like that... it's on a looot of systems and re-released a lot of times. >_>

Yep, Wikipedia says you nailed them all. Megami Tensei 1 technically has about that many if you want to include the weird ass Japanese PC versions. Technically a different game entirely aside from maybe some plot stuff, but I still like to lump it in because... man, that music and gameplay, huh?

Actually some of the music is pretty great for the FM synth stuff, at least. Saw me through more of the game than I should have played, really. But I digress.

Zebetite

Banned
I hope Sega still lets Atlus take a stab at some of their dormant IPs like they said a few months back. Doesn't have to be P Studio specifically; I feel like there's enough diversity in Sega's portfolio that a lot of them could probably be done well by most any of their teams.[/IMG]

Sega has some really good RPG series, too! An Atlus-produced Skies of Arcadia or Phantasy Star would probably mean I'd die before that game came out because that's just my luck-- but I'd have liked to have played that video game before I theoretically died.

I was mostly just thinking about teams that should make a new Jet Set Radio game (I think about this approximately three times each day) and was like "man, Sega should get Meguro to do some Jet Set Radio music, also they should hire me to give them ideas for video games."

But yeah, it's a pretty exciting situation, if the cards get played right. Sega has tons of cool IPs and not an ounce of development talent. Atlus has development talent! (also their own cool IPs, but I suspect they'd want to branch out every now and then.)

Rhapsody

Banned

7th port was the charm. We finally got it. lol

Would've loved to have played an English SMT on the go on another device though.

Sophia

Yep, Wikipedia says you nailed them all. Megami Tensei 1 technically has about that many if you want to include the weird ass Japanese PC versions. Technically a different game entirely aside from maybe some plot stuff, but I still like to lump it in because... man, that music and gameplay, huh?

Actually some of the music is pretty great for the FM synth stuff, at least. Saw me through more of the game than I should have played, really. But I digress.

There's a PC-88 version of the original Megami Tensei?!

I feel as if my mind has been blown.

Edit: omg it's a gauntlet/ys clone wtf

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Sega has some really good RPG series, too! An Atlus-produced Skies of Arcadia or Phantasy Star would probably mean I'd die before that game came out because that's just my luck-- but I'd have liked to have played that video game before I theoretically died.

I was mostly just thinking about teams that should make a new Jet Set Radio game (I think about this approximately three times each day) and was like "man, Sega should get Meguro to do some Jet Set Radio music, also they should hire me to give them ideas for video games."

But yeah, it's a pretty exciting situation, if the cards get played right. Sega has tons of cool IPs and not an ounce of development talent. Atlus has development talent! (also their own cool IPs, but I suspect they'd want to branch out every now and then.)

Having played a lot of Sega's Japan only output in recent years, I'd say the talent is still there; it's just that it's mostly not being localized obviously so nobody else really knows what they're up to anymore. Valkyria Chronicles 3, my favorite of the bunch, did finally get that patch earlier this year, but that translation... eh.... That's not how I would have written that story, at least. I think Nagoshi from Team Yakuza also does good stuff, but I don't think he's worked on anything outside that franchise aside from Binary Domain and his games are now seemingly in that unfortunate bubble of not being localized, so yeah, if you're not like me, I can see why people would argue that Sega proper is dead to a lot of people in the West. If I have the time, I do want to contribute to translation efforts for games like Yakuza when they open up, but don't hold me to that! ;D

But I totally get what you mean, yeah. I'd be up for Meguro pitching in some music for a game like that. Kaneko did some design work on DMC3 in exchange for Dante showing up in Nocturne Maniax and I bet other people on that team wouldn't mind branching out momentarily if the right opportunity presented itself.

There's a PC-88 version of the original Megami Tensei?!

I feel as if my mind has been blown.

Edit: omg it's a gauntlet/ys clone wtf

It is a god damn weird game all around. I think the story revolves around Nakajima's summoning computer breaking and so you have to wander all over the maps in a semi-non-linear fashion to get the parts to put it back together? It's been a while. All I know is that unless you're like one of five Japanese collectors that actually thought to keep their manuals when that version of the game came out, you're gonna get lost basically as soon as the game starts unless you follow a wiki religiously. And even then the visuals are bad enough that you can still lose you way pretty easily. Interesting tangent when it comes to series history, though. Imagine what would have happened if THAT had been the successful version of Megami Tensei back in the day. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom