• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

I'm not going to complain if he likes Tales, considering that one my favorite RPG series is kinda like that.....

Though seriously you should try the Lunar Series, good Old School RPGs.

The Sega CD ones are really the best.

tumblr_n78xauFxtL1skns5ho1_1280.jpg

Sometimes they get it right the first time.
(We have a community thread that no one uses...)

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Done doing the rough draft of my translation for that Soejima interview in the new Persona Magazine issue finally. Had to do it in bits and pieces because of my schedule lately, but it's nice to finally have that out of the way. Pretty interesting things he has to say considering the relatively small amount of space he has to say them in the magazine! I'm planning on doing this the same way as the Hashino interview, which is to say there's going to be some image editing work involved and I'm waiting on the guy I've got on call for that to be free later this week, but if everything goes well, hopefully it should be up for your perusal by this weekend. :D!

On a different note, I found this article a week or so ago on why Persona 4 sucks. I got a good laugh out of it, so I thought I'd share. The comments are a great laugh as well.

Minor P4 spoilers:
http://digitalkicks.wordpress.com/2010/01/02/5-reasons-persona-4-sucks/

"If Persona 4 was a movie and it took 2 hours to establish it’s premise it would be a horrible movie. The slow sense of unease that Persona 4 builds is nothing compared to what the friggin remake of The Ring does in seven minutes."

Well it's a good thing Persona 4 is a video game and not a movie and as such can take two hours to start setting up its story.

For the record I do think the first two hours can drag a bit but I don't hate it by any means. Kingdom Hearts 2 has WAY WORSE of a beginning few hours than Persona 4.

Something tells me that person never got very far.

Considering the person only put pictures up until very early on in the game, that honestly wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

PK Gaming

Joseph Joestar should be the Persona 5 protagonist

Sorry, I need to correct this heinous transgression

Josuke Higashikata should be the Persona 5 protagonist

icLtuC85CKZ3q.gif

Don't get me wrong, Joseph Joestar is still amazing, but Josuke is on a whole other level.

I think i'm going to use Yukiko on my main team in PQ out of respect for him.

"If Persona 4 was a movie and it took 2 hours to establish it’s premise it would be a horrible movie. The slow sense of unease that Persona 4 builds is nothing compared to what the friggin remake of The Ring does in seven minutes."

Well it's a good thing Persona 4 is a video game and not a movie and as such can take two hours to start setting up its story.

For the record I do think the first two hours can drag a bit but I don't hate it by any means. Kingdom Hearts 2 has WAY WORSE of a beginning few hours than Persona 4.

Considering the person only put pictures up until very early on in the game, that honestly wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
Oh God, don't remind of KH2. I loved the comments about how there should be an autosave after every battle lol.

Something tells me that person never got very far.
I don't think so either since he seems to believe Teddie is the navigator for the whole game.

Sorry, I need to correct this heinous transgression

Josuke Higashikata should be the Persona 5 protagonist

icLtuC85CKZ3q.gif

Don't get me wrong, Joseph Joestar is still amazing, but Josuke is on a whole other level.

I think i'm going to use Yukiko on my main team in PQ out of respect for him.

1374588127894.gif

NO LIES DETECTED. JOSUKE = BEST PROTAG OF ALL TIME.

DNAbro

Oh God, don't remind of KH2. I loved the comments about how there should be an autosave after every battle lol.

I don't think so either since he seems to believe Teddie is the navigator for the whole game.

I assume he didn't even finish Kanji's dungeon cause his "gayness" isn't that simple.

I assume he didn't even finish Kanji's dungeon cause his "gayness" isn't that simple.

Plus, he talks as if Teddie was the only navigator in the game

NO LIES DETECTED. JOSUKE = BEST PROTAG OF ALL TIME.

You know, my only contact with Josuke (and everyone else except for the Part 1&2 characters) was when I played ASB and he didn't seem that interesting to me. I guess I'll have to read the manga or wait until the inevitable (but awesome as usual) anime adaptation.

You know, my only contact with Josuke (and everyone else except for the Part 1&2 characters) was when I played ASB and he didn't seem that interesting to me. I guess I'll have to read the manga or wait until the inevitable (but awesome as usual) anime adaptation.

You can't judge Josuke until you've seen his character arc unfold. He's probably one of the best-developed characters in the series; definitely moreso than Jonathan and Jotaro. He's also fortunate enough to be the protagonist of what would be the best arc of the series even without him, so he's got that going for him too!

So yeah, definitely read Part 4's manga as soon as humanly possible. Just be sure to avoid the hilariously dreadful Duwang scans!

josuke and his friends are the most endearing idiots. josuke is my second favorite jojo. also read duwang.

On a different note, I found this article a week or so ago on why Persona 4 sucks. I got a good laugh out of it, so I thought I'd share. The comments are a great laugh as well.

Minor P4 spoilers:
http://digitalkicks.wordpress.com/2010/01/02/5-reasons-persona-4-sucks/
i've seen this before. i liked the comments.
Sorry, but are you shitting me?, are all fucking usain like this, you sir suck,
teddie gets replaced by rise
after a while and if your having a hard time theres a thing called “goh-m” which gets you out of the level right away, anyway you suck for living, I’m being a troll because I’m a fan boy.
what does the world's fastest man have to do with anime video game

PK Gaming

You can't judge Josuke until you've seen his character arc unfold. He's probably one of the best-developed characters in the series; definitely moreso than Jonathan and Jotaro. He's also fortunate enough to be the protagonist of what would be the best arc of the series even without him, so he's got that going for him too!

So yeah, definitely read Part 4's manga as soon as humanly possible. Just be sure to avoid the hilariously dreadful Duwang scans!

I can't stress enough the importance of reading part IV. Like, Josuke is pretty good character without it, but with it... he's honestly one of my favorite protagonists, ever. Which is pretty crazy, because if you knew me, you'd realize that I tend to prefer characters who have overtly cool designs (like Jotaru or Narukami). But yeah, everything about Josuke is just awesome. His stand is probably the best in the entire series, his character interactions with the rest of the cast are top notch, his fights are amazing (chiefly due to how incredible his stand is. The creative applications are endless.) and he's got a solid character arc (and I haven't finished it yet!)

I went into part IV thinking Josuke would never beat Joseph (since Joseph was such a showstealer) but over the course of part IV I slowly came to the conclusion that Josuke Higashikata is the better man. The end.

PS: There are a bunch of hilarious parallels to Persona 4 that I plan on bringing up when I finish part IV.

The Sega CD ones are really the best.
Sometimes they get it right the first time.
(We have a community thread that no one uses...)

I've only played the PS1 Version, which to me is all I need really. Though I do like Sega CD Opening
Plus, the PS1 version has the cool box sets.....
lunar_group.jpg

lunar2_enclosures.jpg

In some ways, I think this is how a Good LE should be, a decently sized soundtrack, embossed boxes, Hardcover colored instruction manuals with colored art inside, along with interviews from the game creators themselves. Along with a few extras, though even then I do think the ones in these are kinda meh.....cloth maps are nice though the little character stands or that necklace (which is kinda heavy) are kinda eh. Nothing I'm gaga over, but are just kinda there. Even then, I still think of these as cool box sets.

Levito

Banned
Done doing the rough draft of my translation for that Soejima interview in the new Persona Magazine issue finally. Had to do it in bits and pieces because of my schedule lately, but it's nice to finally have that out of the way. Pretty interesting things he has to say considering the relatively small amount of space he has to say them in the magazine! I'm planning on doing this the same way as the Hashino interview, which is to say there's going to be some image editing work involved and I'm waiting on the guy I've got on call for that to be free later this week, but if everything goes well, hopefully it should be up for your perusal by this weekend. :D!

I really hope if the big gaming outlets quote this next translation, that they source you properly!

Also, thank you so much!

cj_iwakura

I've only played the PS1 Version, which to me is all I need really. Though I do like Sega CD Opening
Plus, the PS1 version has the cool box sets.....
lunar_group.jpg

lunar2_enclosures.jpg

In some ways, I think this is how a Good LE should be, a decently sized soundtrack, embossed boxes, Hardcover colored instruction manuals with colored art inside, along with interviews from the game creators themselves. Along with a few extras, though even then I do think the ones in these are kinda meh.....cloth maps are nice though the little character stands or that necklace (which is kinda heavy) are kinda eh. Nothing I'm gaga over, but are just kinda there. Even then, I still think of these as cool box sets.

Fun fact: none of Lunar's creators were involved in Complete. That was Studio Alex. They were sued out of existence after Magical School.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I really hope if the big gaming outlets quote this next translation, that they source you properly!

Also, thank you so much!

Ahaha, it's a fun interview, but nothing nearly as revelatory as the Hashino interview. I think artist types like Dantis will be into it since it discusses his approaches to doing character design for Persona Q, but nothing super earth shattering beyond that. I wouldn't stop people from publicizing my work, but I'm not holding my breath either. This is just a fun side project since I enjoy reading his interviews. He's done other ones in previous issues that I hope to get around to doing at some point too.

Acid08

Banned
Thanatos is arguably my favorite Persona in the entire series. And the best!

You don't have to agree with that, but you do actually have to agree with that... sorry :x
Oh no not that, I mean the playable character thing and the picture pan linked. So the Velvet Room peeps are gonna be playable or something?

Willsmith1991

Neo Member
Ok got a few to reply to =S

Sorry, I read your original post as if you believed the film was canon to the games. If you don't, then writing "canon" in your original post was unusual. The film dictates its own canon, anything that happens in it is "canon" to it, regardless of how it is related to the game.

Oh ,i was under the impression the films were supposed to be canon interpretations of the game =S

Nooooooo. P3MC x Aigis is the only OTP.

Joking aside,
I think a kiss is too early at this point. Isn't the Lovers Arcana activated after the summer trip?
I know the movie doesn't have to follow the game, but I still think it's kinda too early.

YEAH AigisxMakoto OTP here too =)

Same here i can't believe they put a kiss in tbh

Once again, this is ONE guy on GAMEFAQS saying this, so take it with a very very small grain of salt.

5R4Jiaj.png

The only acceptable outcome.

3045019-gif_clint_yes350.gif

Has this been debunked yet. It seems too early for that to happen.

Sorry to do this but.....
The canon couple part ant true, what happened was the same events in the game till you get a choice, the choice part does not happened because shadows appear and Aigis fights them off.

Yeah apparently this has been debunked allready. I didn't believe it much myself but i guess we will find out soon.

Setsu00

Something I always noticed that is cool to me is that thanatos' legs and arms are similar to Aigis' body structure (the hooved feet). Is that purposely done? I assume its in some artbook I guess that explains it.

I just figure its that way
cause Aigis seals Death into Makoto and it just took the design influence of Aigis since she was the one that did it or something like that?

Either way always struck me as odd/cool.

I'm not sure whether there is a story reason for Thanatos' design, but Soejima commented on the general shape of the Persona (which is a recurring design motif in his work) in the P4 artbook using Yukiko's Konohana Sakuya as an example. It's his way to give the Persona a certain elegance and "light-footedness". To quote Soejima: "Konohana Sakuya doesn't have toes or heels because she is always floating. I believe that characters who are always floating look better without completely formed feet. On top of that, I also happen to really like this shape." (p.67)

It was actually this guy all along:

Unlikely, the novel actually explains why this is not the case. Also I would assume that they would have changed the appearance of Mitsuru's motorcycle in Spring of Birth if this was correct to fit with Sousei's design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom