• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else here watching No Game No Life? There was a quick Persona reference in the latest episode:

Links to images: (1) (2)

I'm lloving the show and it is just chocka with references to other media.

Bn7o6nKCMAEh3nE.png

kewlmyc

How about this. Two protagonists, male and female. You choose who you want to play in the beginning like P3P and Pokemon games, and whoever you don't pick becomes a fleshed out character in that route. Canon name for both characters, but whoever you choose can have their name changed to whatever. If you keep their name at the default, the other characters will state their name in dialogue.

Everyone's happy.

How about this. Two protagonists, male and female. You choose who you want to play in the beginning like P3P and Pokemon games, and whoever you don't pick becomes a fleshed out character in that route. Canon name for both characters, but whoever you choose can have their name changed to whatever. If you keep their name at the default, the other characters will state their name in dialogue.

Everyone's happy.
Nope. Blank slate characters should not be defined within their original game at all. Do that and they aren't blank slates anymore. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Mdesilva

Canon name for both characters, but whoever you choose can have their name changed to whatever. If you keep their name at the default, the other characters will state their name in dialogue.

Everyone's happy.
I like this, but I doubt they'd do it, since it'd encourage people to not pick their own name and everyone would go canon.

kewlmyc

Nope. Blank slate characters should not be defined within their original game at all. Do that and they aren't blank slates anymore. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Fine, then I pick fleshed out.

Or at least have them talk or have a default name. The random blanks in dialogue when they reference the MC have always been awkward and jarring to me.

Blank slate, with just a bit of personality in the design and a fully fleshed out backstory. I always find it fun to try to figure out the 'canon' options for dialogue based on what I think the character would say, eg. picking the "angsty loner" options for P3MC.

It's also why I like Makoto better than Yu, because it was easier coming up with a personality for him while I was playing the game.

For P5, would you rather have a blank-slate character that's silent and has no back story, or one that's fully fleshed out?

So basically the Journey or the Answer? I would choose silent protag because it feels like something is missing when you don't have dialogue choices during scenes.

Catherine is a bit of a different case, as that game's direction really depends on your decisions. Persona hasn't been like that.

I'd rather it be a blank slate with some minor background/backstory details (i.e. Yu is being sent to live with his uncle, his parents travel a lot, etc.).

PK Gaming

Silent protag for sure, but not a completely blank slate. Even Yu and Makoto had some back story to them, it wasnt just "here is person, play game". I like the way that these characters were presented to us, it's still YOUR character but here's some shit that happened for you to think about.

I hope that Atlus stick with their own dialogue tendencies and dont follow an almost mass effect style of dialogue where there is one good, one neutral and one asshole option for dialogue.

I like replaying games with different dialogue options that slightly affect the scene but dont effect the game's story drastically. I'd hate to be locked out of content from the game because I spent the whole time being the 'good' character , especially since I find it hard to play as an asshole in games.

Also, keep putting "......." as an option, I never personally pick it, I just find it hilarious that there is an option to say FUCKING NOTHING!

Mhm

I've been playing Persona 3 and 4 concurrently, and i'm really impressed with how they set up the dialogue choices in P4.

A scene that comes to mind is Kanji's 1st slink. At one point, he's disappointed at himself for causing his mom trouble due to his actions. You're given the option of:
-telling him he needs to apologize to his mom
-telling him he needs to change
-"That's what kids do"

Telling Kanji that he straight up needs to change is better than sugarcoating it and telling him he needs apologize to his mom (thereby avoiding the main issue), or trying to pass of his shitty attitude as something kids do. I love this. P3 had this annoying tendency of rewarding players for constantly telling what your friends wanted to hear (and in some cases, outright avoiding the problem like in Kaz's s.link). That's occasional at play in P4, but it's more natural. In P4, you can't go around telling your friends what they want to hear, and you're actually rewarded for being honest.

I can't wait to see how they approach dialogue options in P5. I hope they build on the improvements made in P4 and take it to the next level.

Necrovex

Hell, KH1 had a terrible, terrible opening as well.

KH1's opening was good. However if you were stating KH2 had a shit opening, I would fully agree with you.

I was in the shower thinking of Hajime no Ippo, and I would love to see a boxing match between Minato and Yu.

Mhm

I've been playing Persona 3 and 4 concurrently, and i'm really impressed with how they set up the dialogue choices in P4.

A scene that comes to mind is Kanji's 1st slink. At one point, he's disappointed at himself for causing his mom trouble due to his actions. You're given the option of:
-telling him he needs to apologize to his mom
-telling him he needs to change
-"That's what kids do"

Telling Kanji that he straight up needs to change is better than sugarcoating it and telling him he needs apologize to his mom (thereby avoiding the main issue), or trying to pass of his shitty attitude as something kids do. I love this. P3 had this annoying tendency of rewarding players for constantly telling what your friends wanted to hear (and in some cases, outright avoiding the problem like in Kaz's s.link). That's occasional at play in P4, but it's more natural. In P4, you can't go around telling your friends what they want to hear, and you're actually rewarded for being honest.

I can't wait to see how they approach dialogue options in P5. I hope they build on the improvements made in P4 and take it to the next level.

That level of honesty is just not realistic though.

Think about it, this is very early on in the social link, aka when you just met Kanji, you know he's got self confidence issues, you also know he just had a huge scare because his elderly mother, his last close family member, was in the hospital, it's a bit of a dick move to be so frank when the situation is so delicate.

Not everyone is a perfect bag of honesty who go around telling people what their problem is and expecting them to change, I know I'm not. I also know that a lot of people would consider such characteristics to be negative, especially in someone you just met, nobody likes their faults thrown at them by a kinda sorta stranger

It works in P4 because the game is about the truth, and facing your real self, but I wouldn't consider P4 protag's frankness an "improvement" in the dialogue options, as much as part of the game's theme

Think about it, this is very early on in the social link, aka when you just met Kanji, you know he's got self confidence issues, you also know he just had a huge scare because his elderly mother, his last close family member, was in the hospital, it's a bit of a dick move to be so frank when the situation is so delicate.

Not everyone is a perfect bag of honesty who go around telling people what their problem is and expecting them to change, I know I'm not. I also know that a lot of people would consider such characteristics to be negative, especially in someone you just met, nobody likes their faults thrown at them by a kinda sorta stranger

But thats the whole point and beauty of the dialogue options, if you dont think that its realistic to tell him that then you pick another option like the third one. However, the point of the social links is to help your friends overcome their problems and the third option isnt helping him change in any way so thats why its the worst pick of the 3 statistically speaking.

And that's also the great thing about the dialogue choices, you say that you are not the sort of person to be 100% honest and bring up people's problems and there is an option that fits your individual personality style. I personally dont care too much what people think about me so long as they know that I'm being honest (luckily my friends like that about me rather than thinking of me as a complete arsehole), and there is a choice available for my individual personality as well.

But thats the whole point and beauty of the dialogue options, if you dont think that its realistic to tell him that then you pick another option like the third one. However, the point of the social links is to help your friends overcome their problems and the third option isnt helping him change in any way so thats why its the worst pick of the 3 statistically speaking.

And that's also the great thing about the dialogue choices, you say that you are not the sort of person to be 100% honest and bring up people's problems and there is an option that fits your individual personality style. I personally dont care too much what people think about me so long as they know that I'm being honest (luckily my friends like that about me rather than thinking of me as a complete arsehole), and there is a choice available for my individual personality as well.

Sure you can always chose whatever option you want, but PK's point was that they reward you (give you more s-link points) for chisinau the frank option, which I'm completely fine with because it fits with the game's themes but again I wouldn't consider it a improvement

FluxWaveZ

However, the point of the social links is to help your friends overcome their problems and the third option isnt helping him change in any way so thats why its the worst pick of the 3 statistically speaking.

I don't think that's true, substantiated by the comments of the developers in the Persona 3 art book interview concerning Social Links as well as one of the Social Links in Persona 4 Golden. I think they're pretty clearly supposed to just represent how strong one's bond is to the protagonist, whether it's through a form of manipulation (P3 design) or genuine caring (P4 design).

abrack08

KH1's opening was good. However if you were stating KH2 had a shit opening, I would fully agree with you.

I was in the shower thinking of Hajime no Ippo, and I would love to see a boxing match between Minato and Yu.

I like both KH 1 and 2's openings... I enjoy when games take some time to set the characters/world before everything goes to hell. I even enjoyed the opening of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, everybody seems to hate those openings too.

I'm leaning more toward 'fleshed-out', although I'd like to keep the choices during dialogue.
I'd really like the MC to have a clearly established background, name and (perhaps to a lesser extent) personality, but most of all I just want him or her to be voiced this time around.
It feels kind of awkward to me how the MC always just stands there completely silent during cutscenes.

PK Gaming

Think about it, this is very early on in the social link, aka when you just met Kanji, you know he's got self confidence issues, you also know he just had a huge scare because his elderly mother, is last close family member, was in the hospital, it's a bit of a dick move to be so frank when the situation is so delicate.

His mother wasn't hospitalized at that point in the social link. He's just frustrated over how he's constantly making his mother worry due to his disrespectful attitude towards the police and people in general. You're not really throwing his problems at his face when you tell him he needs to change, it's just an honest observation from an acquaintance (Actually, you're well past acquaintance status considering you risked your life to save him) . If anything, you're more likely to make that observation due to your past experience with him. Plus, i'm pretty sure the protagonist worded that comment in a friendly way given how Kanji reacts to said comment (you gain the most amount of points from saying that)

Anyway.

It's not about being perfect; it's about reading into situation and being honest when it's necessary. Being honest has its repercussions in P4 (such as telling Nanako that there in no heaven) so it's very much a case by case basis. This is in huge contrast with P3, where it's strictly "lie ---> gain more slink points, tell truth ---> gain 0 slink points or even, reverse your slink. I think telling someone they should change their attitude if they want to please their parent, is more realistic then letting someone who's seriously injured their knee compete in sports.

Everyone's happy.

Well, there is the defining feature of FeMC: differing reactions to her from that gender difference, her personality difference and even differing Slinks. That's a fair bit of work.

Wait, you got one? How?

Max Slink

Dantis

ebay. the way it was packaged/handled makes the priciness worth it though.

Might be time to pull out the old wallet...

Also, kind of hilarious how consistent his signature is across the prints. The only one which is unique is the one with the Teddie sketch. I guess he realised he didn't have time to doodle after that. Whoever got that one is one lucky man.

To anyone who doesnt frequent the Megaten subreddit, John Hardin is giving away one of these posters signed by Soejima.

All you have to do is comment on the stickied post at the top of the subreddit page.
Always worth a shot if you want one.

Fine, then I pick fleshed out.

Or at least have them talk or have a default name. The random blanks in dialogue when they reference the MC have always been awkward and jarring to me.

Most definitely. I never truly feel like I am the blank slate character and it is even more true for Persona. They might as well just flesh out the character and have them speak, since they seem to go back in later media and give them a name and personality.

PK Gaming

Yeah i'm really getting tired of all of those P4- DUDE DOES THAT MEAN THEY'RE GOING TO ANIMATE OPERATION UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL

The P4G hype train has no brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom