• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxiderous

Neo Member
Makes sense, given how things were apparently unfolding before I stopped paying attention to things that weren't PQ news once the game was released. Nice to know for sure, though.
So the story doesn't end in post-time-travel mindwipes?
Pre-order purchased.
Not that I've already done it lel

Tiu Neo

Holy fuck. Amazon updated Persona Q LE product page, now I can purchase outside the USA... $175. Play-Asia, with shipping and not counting taxes, $140. The normal edition is ~$100 on both. No physical version for me, not when I can pay $50 for it on the eShop :(

So P4D, PQ and P4A2 are all canon.

Now I'm happy that P5 is moving away from all this. Atlus cannot expect every Persona fan to play those games in fact I'm sure it would be a minority so I'm guessing most of the issues in those games will not carry onto P5.

kewlmyc

We Kingdom Hearts now ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Oh well, it doesn't really matter if it's canon or not to me anymore. It probably won't seriously affect any of the future mainline games so I don't care.

NPgBBYY.jpg

DNAbro

I thought everyone will have there memories wiped out.

Come on.

You can make anything canon by saying
"time paradox that wipes people memories when done."
It makes it canon and have no impact on the whole story.

Note, i'm spoilering that because I'm overcautious, I don't think it's really a spoiler and seems like if you pay attention to the game you should assume that's what it is.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Still doesn't contradict it being canon. In fact, it probably helps.

Main thing is that MC being sick during the cultural festival is super reconned now, but that's not a big deal.

Doesn't mean that's not what happens.

Didn't they say so themselves? I think it was one of the first things that came out after the announcement.
Or maybe it was just fan speculation.

You can make anything canon by saying
"time paradox that wipes people memories when done."
It makes it canon and have no impact on the whole story.

Note, i'm spoilering that because I'm overcautious, I don't think it's really a spoiler and seems like if you pay attention to the game you should assume that's what it is.

Okay. I thought it might contradict the P4A and U story.

Lunar15

I hate canon as a marketing point.

Well, I just hate canon in general. This is an afterthought game, it has no bearing on the two core games that precede it. I don't mean that as a slight to the game, it's more that I just don't really care if it's canon or not.

Does being canon make you have a better story? Does it make the game "more important"? In the end, it's nothing more than a marketing bullet point, in order to make people think they have to play it to "complete the story". Could it have a bearing on P5? Sure, but, like always, they'll explain everything they need to in P5 so that people who haven't played these games know what's going on. That's why it doesn't really matter.

The realm of spinoffs is dangerous. There is always this pressing need to determine what is canon and what isn't. But at the end of the day, does it really matter if the dancing game featuring persona characters is vital to the overall story or not?

This is why, as I've said many times, I just can't wait to move on to P5, which will hopefully just be it's own story and only have passing references to this whole P4/P3 continuity.

If the events that occur in PQ are major enough, it doesn't matter whether anyone remembers it or not. "The Day of the Doctor" is proof enough of this.

(disclaimer: I have no idea whether they do remember it or not, I'm guessing they don't but that's just my assumption)

DNAbro

Apparently people in the canon thread on gaming side really like my idea for future sequels after Persona 5. Especially the last one.

That is until Persona 5 comes out and we get Persona 5 Arena, Persona 5 Dancing All Day, Persona Q2-My waifu can't be this lost in a dungeon. all featuring the casts from P4 and P3.

Rubedo

Yeeeeah. The whole time travel and stuff premise for PQ is so contrived I think I'll end up treating it as non-canon anyway.

So I just started P4G this morning, I now see what all the hype was about. It was hard for me to put it down! Only 2 hours in and I'm sold.

cbq

It all makes sense now!

It's a elaborate plan made by Elizabeth to save Makoto. During P4U, P4 cast will suddenly remember what happened during PQ, and because they will have memories of Makoto being alive (for them it's during their festival, so 2 years after his death?) he will be both alive (as a person) and dead (as a Great Seal).

lol

So I just started P4G this morning, I now see what all the hype was about. It was hard for me to put it down! Only 2 hours in and I'm sold.
Tread through GAF carefully if you want to continue enjoying the game friend! With P4U, which is the second part of what is considered the sequel to P4 coming, and Persona Q, spoilers come out like nothing. Other than that, enjoy it!

kewlmyc

It all makes sense now!

It's a elaborate plan made by Elizabeth to save Makoto. During P4U, P4 cast will suddenly remember what happened during PQ, and because they will have memories of Makoto being alive (for them it's during their festival, so 2 years after his death?) he will be both alive (as a person) and dead (as a Great Seal).

lol

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, that's the scariest part.

Mdesilva

Spoilers for P3 and P4 follow.

So since we know Persona Q is canon (for whatever reason), we can sort of figure out where in the timeline it takes place. The thing that screws with all of it is the time travel, but there's times in P3 and P4 that it definitely unfolds.

The two most important characters to figuring this out are Shinjiro and Naoto. The reason for this is simple: they are the last party members in their respective games.

But because of Shinji's death in early October, this means that the time travel occurs sometime in September, which is the month he joins in. It's probably late in the month too, since he acts like he knows who the rest of SEES is in the trailers that are out.

Where it actually takes place in Persona 4 is a bit confounding, since it could be any time after Naoto joins in September. But I think the best guess would be to say that Persona Q happens during the time skip that happens in February, since they do a lot of things that aren't mentioned at that time.

While this was kind of a silly thing to do at all, I just figured I'd post my theory since I thought of it. To recap (no spoilers)
Time travel: Late September, 2009 (Persona 3)
Persona Q: Late February to Early March, 2012 (Persona 4)

Wynnebeck

Banned
Just hit summer vacation in P4G (first time ever playing) and
I maxed my Social Link with Chie after asking her to be my girlfriend. I got a warm, fuzzy feeling seeing her get all flustered. Now this is Waifu Simulating!
:3

DNAbro

Spoilers for P3 and P4 follow.

So since we know Persona Q is canon (for whatever reason), we can sort of figure out where in the timeline it takes place. The thing that screws with all of it is the time travel, but there's times in P3 and P4 that it definitely unfolds.

The two most important characters to figuring this out are Shinjiro and Naoto. The reason for this is simple: they are the last party members in their respective games.

But because of Shinji's death in early October, this means that the time travel occurs sometime in September, which is the month he joins in. It's probably late in the month too, since he acts like he knows who the rest of SEES is in the trailers that are out.

Where it actually takes place in Persona 4 is a bit confounding, since it could be any time after Naoto joins in September. But I think the best guess would be to say that Persona Q happens during the time skip that happens in February, since they do a lot of things that aren't mentioned at that time.

While this was kind of a silly thing to do at all, I just figured I'd post my theory since I thought of it. To recap (no spoilers)
Time travel: Late September, 2009 (Persona 3)
Persona Q: Late February to Early March, 2012 (Persona 4)

the second trailer gives an exact day of when it happens on both sides
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNDum2gjeH4

Sept 20-P3
Oct 30 -P4

I'm pretty sure they do this as a selling point for fans. They took it to the next level with Kingdom Hearts and anyone can see from the sales figures that the majority of the fanbase said fuck this and left.

If any publisher seriously expects its fans to own 3 systems to understand the story of a game on one platform then they need to wake up form their delusion.

Thankfully, we have the internet and can learn about the story through that way. I just hope theres not ret conning -___-

Rhapsody

Banned
I hate canon as a marketing point.

Well, I just hate canon in general. This is an afterthought game, it has no bearing on the two core games that precede it. I don't mean that as a slight to the game, it's more that I just don't really care if it's canon or not.

Does being canon make you have a better story? Does it make the game "more important"? In the end, it's nothing more than a marketing bullet point, in order to make people think they have to play it to "complete the story". Could it have a bearing on P5? Sure, but, like always, they'll explain everything they need to in P5 so that people who haven't played these games know what's going on. That's why it doesn't really matter.

The realm of spinoffs is dangerous. There is always this pressing need to determine what is canon and what isn't. But at the end of the day, does it really matter if the dancing game featuring persona characters is vital to the overall story or not?

This is why, as I've said many times, I just can't wait to move on to P5, which will hopefully just be it's own story and only have passing references to this whole P4/P3 continuity.
I feel the same about this. I felt like it wasn't really necessary to label this as canon since PQ seems like it's just good fun. P4U I can understand since they want all sorts of people to play the game. Oh well, doesn't really change anything, just a bit odd though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom