• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight

Banned
Man, there is just something so off I find about Arena's art. I can't even really put my finger on it. Maybe the proportions and the colouring. It just looks weird.

Willsmith1991

Neo Member
Chie, is recieved well in Japan i heard? Personally she seems likable, her heart is in the right place anyway. Bit clingy to Yukiko which makes you question her sexuality a bit IMO but... yeah a nice girl all round.

Zareka

Hey guys I'm looking for some advice.

The only Persona game I have played so far is Persona 4 Golden and now I wanna go back and play Persona 3 so that I know who the hell these people are in P4A and PQ. The question is which version? I'm looking at either getting Persona 3 Portable or Persona 3 FES (both via the Playstation store) but was wondering if one version is considered the superior version? Kinda like P4G having extra social links and stuff. I will say the portability is a big plus for me so at the moment I am leaning towards P3P, but if FES has more advantages I'll go there.

I'd say go for Portable. The improved gameplay, direct party control and lack of fatigue will make playing it less of a hassle and I, personally, don't think it suffers too much on the presentation side. Sure it loses the animated cutscenes but they aren't that great apart from the first one. Not having to run around the school etc. is a time saver too. Also portability!

If you wanna see The Answer, YouTube it or read up a summery. It's honestly not that fun to play.

Ultimax is right around the corner, so here are some avatars, straight from P4U. Feel free to use them.

QFAVBBx.png
DjROO3C.png
dsLrzut.png
OgD2tbg.png
bpy4218.png
478ATxk.png

xOUYRus.png
YcX9aSQ.png
tZBldXH.png
axp5Yr8.png
QjeiXTR.png
5EKZ6Ln.png

bha73wb.png
2xR5xb9.png
Y2yqvV1.png
uDdhHwl.png
AKxGhbl.png
QurBU5x.png

gFYgoRq.png
FgvAIvR.png
F8H5Zqy.png
TXK9OHQ.png
zIjF2MN.png
2rqVLgc.png

teOGB3h.png
QM3zxFj.png
1iRcJkI.png
dKdmmZF.png
C1ph1H0.png
ljg4r8l.png

oLLXueW.png
3O2v7Z0.png
k8y9Igf.png

Awesome avatars! Having trouble picking between Yukiko and Yosuke, but I think I'll go with Yukiko for now.

arue

Hey guys I'm looking for some advice.

The only Persona game I have played so far is Persona 4 Golden and now I wanna go back and play Persona 3 so that I know who the hell these people are in P4A and PQ. The question is which version? I'm looking at either getting Persona 3 Portable or Persona 3 FES (both via the Playstation store) but was wondering if one version is considered the superior version? Kinda like P4G having extra social links and stuff. I will say the portability is a big plus for me so at the moment I am leaning towards P3P, but if FES has more advantages I'll go there.

I'd go with Portable. I played P3P first and then FES, and FES felt like a slog not because I already know the story, but because of the gameplay.

In FES, you can't change your party members' equipments through the main menu; you have to talk to them in Tartarus (the dungeon). The equipment store is also not open at night in FES. Most importantly, you can't control your party members besides giving them a command type, such as full assault or heal/support. However, there are anime cutscenes that make the story look better.

In P3P, everything is improved in terms of gameplay and the FeMC route is a great addition too, but there are no anime cutscenes. I wasn't bothered by the presentation in P3P, but the game's final moments suffer from the presentation and look much better in FES.

Again, I'd recommend Portable because in my book, gameplay is more important than presentation. The story for both versions is the same, except for The Answer, which is only available in FES. It's purely grinding and some people find it a hassle for the amount of story given. You can just watch that online if you want the story though.

Caladrius

Chee is okay.

This boss must've been nerfed something fierce prior to Portable, because I fought it twice in close succession with two different parties and I don't think I ever even SAW Night Queen.

Full on bull shit is still Pandora, though.

They didn't do anything to nerf the boss itself. The lack of Night Queen was probably the AI roulette working in your favor.

Full Party control makes things significantly easier in that fight (and a few others) so your idiot party members don't go acting/attacking recklessly.

Kssio_Aug

Reload and go for the true end. If you didn't get the true end, you didn't *really* beat the game, after all. There's still enough incentive to do a NG+ to max social links in my opinion, but no reason to put off seeing the actual end to the story another ~70 hours.

Thanks, Im going to do it then! Afte all, Im also looking forward to Persona 3 Portable now!
And I took 87 hours already! lol

Lunar15

Thinking about P3/P4 protagonists this weekend, I realized that they probably designed both of them to appeal directly to the audience they were trying to reach. In both cases, it's like they're designed to be the antithesis of the overall message of the game.

for P3 protagonist, the theme is about living life to the fullest, using every day as if it were your last, and not being indifferent about death. The protagonist on the other hand is designed to look unattached, unaffected, and generally indifferent about everything. Hands in his pockets as if he's hiding something and always wearing headphones so he can separate himself from the people around him.

P4's theme is about not relying on surface clues, but really digging down into what makes a person tick. It's about actually putting in the effort to find who you really are. The protagonist, however, is portrayed as someone very preppy and fashion obsessed. He's described as someone who everyone thinks is really cool, and even his language in the japanese version pushes a manly, heroic vibe. He's designed as somewhat of a shallow character, someone very concerned with image and surface values.

I feel like they wanted those characters to attract the people that needed to hear the lesson the most. Now, I haven't read any of the design works, so I could be terribly off base here or just regurgitating known information. I found it to be an interesting thought, though.

What you people believe I should do, go to the last save point and see the true ending, or keep the surprise to the 2nd run?

Thanks!!

It's honestly up to you. New Game+ has a "bonus" that isn't available during your first playthrough. So even if you went back to see the true ending, you still haven't seen everything. Maybe that will help your decision.

In P3P, everything is improved in terms of gameplay and the FeMC route is a great addition too, but there are no anime cutscenes. I wasn't bothered by the presentation in P3P, but the game's final moments suffer from the presentation and look much better in FES.

I would vote for FES for this reason alone but looks like he already made his decision.

Yellow_Magic

Neo Member
Thinking about P3/P4 protagonists this weekend, I realized that they probably designed both of them to appeal directly to the audience they were trying to reach. In both cases, it's like they're designed to be the antithesis of the overall message of the game.

Dang, that's a solid theory. I love how games like these tend to be so much deeper when revisited.

Been replaying Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (happy birthday :3 :3) and it's still, like, really cool. The Baofu/Katsuya interactions,Tatsuya's atonement, Maya Amano being Maya Amano, the city life....top-knotch stuff as far as jRPGs go, fourteen years later. Definitely my favourite Persona game to date.

Kssio_Aug

Dang, that's a solid theory. I love how games like these tend to be so much deeper when revisited.

Been replaying Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (happy birthday :3 :3) and it's still, like, really cool. The Baofu/Katsuya interactions,Tatsuya's atonement, Maya Amano being Maya Amano, the city life....top-knotch stuff as far as jRPGs go, fourteen years later. Definitely my favourite Persona game to date.

Im interested on playing the other Personas games (except the 1st one, I couldnt stand those graphics anymore), and Persona 2 really looks interesting. Persona 3 Portable will be my next one though!

Velcro Fly

i should have bought P1 and both parts of P2 when they were $5 a few weeks ago.

I have P1 on UMD but I don't feel like playing anything on my PSP these days.

Yellow_Magic

Neo Member
Im interested on playing the other Personas games (except the 1st one, I couldnt stand those graphics anymore), and Persona 2 really looks interesting. Persona 3 Portable will be my next one though!

Yeah, I couldn't get into Persona 1 in the end, even the PSP version. Even for a guy like me who's into older-school RPGs (like SNES-era stuff), Persona 1 mechanics are super-dated. Graphics are pretty awful too, although to be honest I like the first-person perspective.

People praise Persona 2: Innocent Sin a lot (and straight-up call it Persona 2 simply because it got an official English release, which grinds my gears), but to me it's just a dated, risque-as-hell version of Persona 3. I mean, how many other games have you playing as characters in their 20's as opposed to high-school kids?

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, I couldn't get into Persona 1 in the end, even the PSP version. Even for a guy like me who's into older-school RPGs (like SNES-era stuff), Persona 1 mechanics are super-dated. Graphics are pretty awful too, although to be honest I like the first-person perspective.

People praise Persona 2: Innocent Sin a lot (and straight-up call it Persona 2 simply because it got an official English release, which grinds my gears), but to me it's just a dated, risque-as-hell version of Persona 3. I mean, how many other games have you playing as characters in their 20's as opposed to high-school kids?

But would be recommended to play Persona 2 Eternal Punishment without playing Innocent Sin?

What about the gameplay of those. Are they still great?

Yellow_Magic

Neo Member
But would be recommended to play Persona 2 Eternal Punishment without playing Innocent Sin?

What about the gameplay of those. Are they still great?

hmm..at the very least I'd try to read a plot hypnosis of the Innocent Sin because it really helps understand the overall story a bit more. I played both, but I never finished Innocent Sin because my save got corrupted 50 hours in :(

I appreciated the gameplay of both even if they get a bit tedious at times. EP's is slightly better because there are fewer choices for interacting with demons, leading to less trial and error.

wmlk

P4's theme is about not relying on surface clues, but really digging down into what makes a person tick. It's about actually putting in the effort to find who you really are. The protagonist, however, is portrayed as someone very preppy and fashion obsessed. He's described as someone who everyone thinks is really cool, and even his language in the japanese version pushes a manly, heroic vibe. He's designed as somewhat of a shallow character, someone very concerned with image and surface values.

I don't agree with this part. He was designed and portrayed as a confident, likeable guy who had the personality to find out who people really are. I don't think he's designed to be this fashion aficionado or whatever, since there would actually be references to that within the games and the anime.

He's almost like a wish-fulfillment character in my opinion, but the game being centred around relationships with characters makes me fine with that. I just hoped that they could have covered the part where he really wants to be liked by his peers and a lot of what he does is for recognition. It honestly sounds like a realistic portrayal and it'd make for a pretty relatable Shadow.

Chie, is recieved well in Japan i heard? Personally she seems likable, her heart is in the right place anyway. Bit clingy to Yukiko which makes you question her sexuality a bit IMO but... yeah a nice girl all round.
Yeah, she got third in the popularity poll in Japan. She was tied for that place with Naoto.

DNAbro

Heads up, apparently Persona Q Sounds of the Labyrinth videos are being taken down on Youtube. The music I had on a playlist is gone and another channel that had it had the music taken down as well.

In unrelated news, got out of jury duty super early.

Nap1400

Hey guys, long time lurker around these parts who finally got his account activated. Nice to meet you all!

And before Levito makes the inevitable facetious comment, I'm actually going to EVO this year! Might see you some of you there.

Kssio_Aug

hmm..at the very least I'd try to read a plot hypnosis of the Innocent Sin because it really helps understand the overall story a bit more. I played both, but I never finished Innocent Sin because my save got corrupted 50 hours in :(

I appreciated the gameplay of both even if they get a bit tedious at times. EP's is slightly better because there are fewer choices for interacting with demons, leading to less trial and error.

I guess I will buy those two as soon as I see a discount on them! :)

I don't agree with this part. He was designed and portrayed as a confident, likeable guy who had the personality to find out who people really are. I don't think he's designed to be this fashion aficionado or whatever, since there would actually be references to that within the games and the anime.

He's almost like a wish-fulfillment character in my opinion, but the game being centred around relationships with characters makes me fine with that. I just hoped that they could have covered the part where he really wants to be liked by his peers and a lot of what he does is for recognition. It honestly sounds like a realistic portrayal and it'd make for a pretty relatable Shadow.

I felt like the MC in P4 is like a "neutral" char, so you could be yourself through him. However he is also the link between all the characters, the one who kind of put everyone together and make them realize the value of a trully friendship. But I also dont agree on the "fashion aficcionado" statement.

I think Yu was a pretty standard self-insert protagonist except with better writing and S. links that don't have you hanging out with colossal twats
except Yosuke.

Then fan-interpretation turned him in to the ultimate baller and Atlus decided that's who he is now.

PK Gaming

for P3 protagonist, the theme is about living life to the fullest, using every day as if it were your last, and not being indifferent about death. The protagonist on the other hand is designed to look unattached, unaffected, and generally indifferent about everything. Hands in his pockets as if he's hiding something and always wearing headphones so he can separate himself from the people around him.

I feel like they wanted those characters to attract the people that needed to hear the lesson the most. Now, I haven't read any of the design works, so I could be terribly off base here or just regurgitating known information. I found it to be an interesting thought, though.

Believe it or not, Soejima actually tried to make the P3 protagonist look as neutral as possible. He strived to make him look like an ordinary guy with a hidden element of coolness. But with that said, I don't think you're completely off base. The P3 design work was made in 2006, and it's clear that the Persona team has shifted their outlook on the protagonist since then, given the drama CD, P3 Movie and Persona Q, where he's been consistently characterized as an apathetic, quiet individual.

Soejima worked very hard to make the P4 protagonist look cool and fashionable, but I think that had more to do with his obsession of adhering to his *coolness theory*, rather than to try and send a message. In regards to P4's universe, you're probably right. Supposedly, he's the type of person who:

-Always cuts his nails short
-Polishes his shoes every morning before going to school
-Buys fashionable clothing
-Intentionally wears his clothing in a way that makes him look cool
So he's probably very concerned with his appearance.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Yes, she was the ranked the favorite female character out of the Persona universe.

Levito

Banned

Really have no idea what you're saying, but it's possible to love someone and it have nothing to do with sexuality. It's called platonic love, and everyone experiences it.

Margaret is being voiced by Marisha Ray in PQ and Ultimax. I've actually heard of her. She did a Batgirl web series a while ago ( she played the title role).

https://twitter.com/Marisha_Ray/status/483699030287863808

This might be her first venture into voice acting, but that's just a guess.

Going to miss Michelle, but I look forward to hearing Marisha's take on the character.

Margaret is being voiced by Marisha Ray in PQ and Ultimax. I've actually heard of her. She did a Batgirl web series a while ago ( she played the title role).

Nice one, So now we really do know everyone who is voicing characters in these games.

Only thing now is to see some English trailers Atlus...............please?

Caladrius

Margaret should be interesting.

Unrelated, but I sincerely hope P5 keeps the fixed inheritance system.

Re-rolling is legit horribifuckus.

I just spent 4 hours making the fusion ingredients for a Beelzebub in Nocturne.

And then I went to the fifth Kalpa for the 200,000 Macca pierce demon and forgot I spent all 600K of my fucking money.

PK Gaming

Really have no idea what you're saying, but it's possible to love someone and it have nothing to do with sexuality. It's called platonic love, and everyone experiences it.

Going to miss Michelle, but I look forward to hearing Marisha's take on the character.

His post makes it sound like that's a negative @_@

And Yukiko is more clingy towards Chie. She's outright stated that Chie is the only person that gave her life meaning.

Willsmith1991

Neo Member

His post makes it sound like that's a negative @_@

And Yukiko is more clingy towards Chie. She's outright stated that Chie is the only person that gave her life meaning.

Yeah that's true i guess i was more of a mutual thing. I wasn't being negative about it at all, in the early stages of the game her character just came across to me like that a bit until S.links Ofc.

CorvoSol

Chee is okay.

They didn't do anything to nerf the boss itself. The lack of Night Queen was probably the AI roulette working in your favor.

Full Party control makes things significantly easier in that fight (and a few others) so your idiot party members don't go acting/attacking recklessly.

Just kinda crazy that the AI roulette didn't even go off in either fight, haha.

Managed to beat
Nyx Avatar
(P3 Spoiler) on my second try. The only times I came close to losing was when he/she/it/whatever managed to kill both Aigis and Yukari during the phase where it uses nothing but Zio-skills, and when it used Night Queen all the way at the end and charmed Yukari and feared Koromaru. Luckily my Seth had Amrita, so that was easily remedied.

Big thanks to Ljrivarola for telling me about Abaddon's Heart Item. The boss hit me with four or five Night Queens, but I could just laugh in its face thanks to that Tome. Corvo must have gotten really lucky if it's never used Night Queen against him. I got hit with it just about every turn.

It's a really fun, nerve-wrecking boss fight that forces you to throw everything you have at it. The only thing I didn't like was that all damage except Almighty gets halved in the final phase, but other than that, great fight. Now all that's left is to watch the ending...
I'm ready to shed some manly tears.

I thought Naoto was the 2nd or 3rd most popular character in the series, up there with Yu and Yosuke?

I assume this is what people are talking about
(google Persona Character Popularity Poll)

A bit surprising to see some people on here while others are completely left out.
Also, the persona ranking chart at the bottom is interesting too.

CorvoSol

The real most important parts of that graph are that Koromaru beat out Yukari in terms of popularity and so did, of all people, Persona 1 characters.

She has a voice over demo reel on her website. Having only heard her through this, I think she fits Margaret. I feel like she nails the clear, stoic, almost militaristic style. But outside of that style, she sounds a bit green to me.

Kssio_Aug

You're right, Naoto is #3. Chie is lucky #4.

Who are the 1st two? (Any from P4?)

Edit:
Never mind! Just saw the picture!!
Wow... My preferences are very different from majority then. My favorite P4 characters were: Yukiko, Rise and Teddie, not necessarily on this order! BUT I really liked every single character and in same aspects I would even vote for the other characters, such as Yosuke, Kanji and Naoto.

I assume this is what people are talking about

A bit surprising to see some people on here while others are completely left out.
Also, the persona ranking chart at the bottom is interesting too.
Yukari below Koromaru? What the fuck.

And even taking into account spinoffs and adaptations the protagonists being as high as they are seems really silly to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom