• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty cool!

Yeah, his hair + his pink shirt really makes him look more effeminate than before. I think that's pretty cool somehow because it shows that he grew out of his "EW GAY DON'T TOUCH ME IT'S CONTAGIOUS DUDE" aspect that everyone hated him for.

And he living with Teddie (green bra! -I know Dantis is right about that not being a bra) just makes me imagine a lot of things... lol xD

In that vein, yeah no idea what the shit Yosuke's and Teddie's new look was supposed to say. :p

Yeah, his hair + his pink shirt really makes him look more effeminate than before. I think that's pretty cool somehow because it shows that he grew out of his "EW GAY DON'T TOUCH ME IT'S CONTAGIOUS DUDE" aspect that everyone hated him for.

At least that's what I think about it.

And he living with Teddie (green bra! -I know Dantis is right about that not being a bra) just makes me imagine a lot of things... lol xD
Oh God, I just realized that Teddie has that green bra, wtf lol

Dantis

That actually kind of bugs me in Soejima's later Naoto drawings, and his reasoning for it (it's not as much of a secret anymore) rubs me the wrong way.

I seem to think he implies in the P4 art book that he always wanted to draw her as a girl, but he wasn't allowed to. Post game, though, every image he's done of her has been feminine.

Personally, I like her design lot more when she looks like a lady, so I'm okay with it. I also like that in P4G, because of the placement of the new content, when she wears her new P4G outfits, they get progressively more feminine, so it's almost like she's becoming more okay with showing that side of herself.

Uh, what. That's not near the time I took to finish those games.

Edit: More precisely, IS took me 38 hours. EP took me 46 hours.

You took waaaay longer to beat IS than I did.

I like Chie a lot too. On a purely personality based level, she's probably my favourite of the P4 ladies.

Also, I know that my read of Naoto is seemingly different to a lot of people, but I think there's a lot more to like about her than the fact that she is vaguely androgynous (and progressively less so).

I love Naoto as a character so I know there's WAY more to her than her androgyny, I was just using that as a reason why people may like the way she looks, purely on an aesthetic view. People seem to like androgynous characters in games.

I actually like Naoto's quietness, I think it reflects well on her as a person who prefers to listen rather than run their mouth off. Plus she has that very subtle smile which says that she's not always as uptight as she may seem at first glance.

For personality, it goes Chie>Rise≥Naoto>Yukiko.

Wazzy

Banned
That actually kind of bugs me in Soejima's later Naoto drawings, and his reasoning for it (it's not as much of a secret anymore) rubs me the wrong way.

What are his reasoning's?

I always found it weird how Naoto looked like a boy in the opening but for the majoirty of the game looks like a girl.

Dantis

I always found it weird how Naoto looked like a boy in the opening but for the majoirty of the game looks like a girl.

She looks like a girl because Soejima gave her deliberately female proportions, and then tried to hide it with baggy clothing, but apparently some people guessed anyway.

Which is pretty neat.

Uh, what. That's not near the time I took to finish those games.

Edit: More precisely, IS took me 38 hours. EP took me 46 hours.

Do you think IS would take considerably less time to complete if played on the lowest difficulty? Currently at the beginning of IS and the completion time is putting me off.

I seem to think he implies in the P4 art book that he always wanted to draw her as a girl, but he wasn't allowed to. Post game, though, every image he's done of her has been feminine.
That's actually pretty much what rubs me the wrong way--like he needs to be given a reason to not draw the androgynous girl overtly feminine. I liked a lot of what I read in his design notes but that point elicited a groan.

I wrote the reasoning in the parentheses--he does so now because it's an open secret now.

FluxWaveZ

Do you think IS would take considerably less time to complete if played on the lowest difficulty? Currently at the beginning of IS and the completion time is putting me off.

I don't remember if there's even a difficulty setting in IS PSP but, if there is, it won't reduce completion time by that much since the encounter rate would stay the same and it wasn't a difficult game in the first place. Reference: Average completion time is around 36.5 hours on HLTB.

You could cut that by some amount if you don't care about extra story dialogue or optional quest stuff.

Yeah, I was frustrated about not seeing Naoto in Yasogami girl's uniform even after she accepted her true self.

Wazzy

Banned
I love Videl with pigtails. :D
Both Videl designs are great. :p
She looks like a girl because Soejima gave her deliberately female proportions, and then tried to hide it with baggy clothing, but apparently some people guessed anyway.

Which is pretty neat.
Ahh. I was thinking she was supposed to look more male but when I played through the game it was so obvious that she was a girl.

It did throw me off because of the opening making her look exactly like a guy.
I wrote the reasoning in the parentheses--he does so now because it's an open secret now.

Oh okay.

Dantis

That's actually pretty much what rubs me the wrong way--like he needs to be given a reason to not draw the androgynous girl overtly feminine. I liked a lot of what I read in his design notes but that point elicited a groan.

*shrug*

It makes sense to me. He describes Naoto as a 'pretty cross dressing girl'. It makes sense that he'd want to draw her as an 'attractive' character if that's how he sees her, right?

If you talk to everyone, it'll take longer, but the plot becomes much richer too.

I'm sure it only took me 18 hours, but maybe I'm mis-remembering.

*shrug*

It makes sense to me. He describes Naoto as a 'pretty cross dressing girl'. It makes sense that he'd want to draw her as an 'attractive' character if that's how he sees her, right?
It makes sense from his perspective, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to like it or agree with him.

Oh well. At least Naoto resembles her original design closer than Kanji often does in his art.

What do you guys think about Kanji's new look?

I don't mind about the hair, glasses and stuff since it shows that he doesn't need to act like a punk anymore. But the shirt and pants makes him look like a nerd, and he wasn't supposedly like that. I still don't know what to think about it. Changed too much.

bonercop

You can cut down the gameplay time in IS significantly by side-stepping the fusion system in that game. You get (fairly powerful) upgraded versions of the default personas multiple times throughout the game if you make the right dialogue choices. EP, unfortunately, does not give you that option.

I don't mind about the hair, glasses and stuff since it shows that he doesn't need to act like a punk anymore. But the shirt and pants makes him look like a nerd, and he wasn't supposedly like that. I still don't know what to think about it. Changed too much.
I think it's a hilarious look and fits his character. He's not used to not dressing like a punk.

Wazzy

Banned

You're talking about P4G right?

His new look is dumb. Especially because he dyed his hair. He could have easily done that without the dye.

I miss his beautiful blonde hair. :(

PK Gaming

I like Chie a lot too. On a purely personality based level, she's probably my favourite of the P4 ladies.

UNLnax1.png

Sophia

I don't remember if there's even a difficulty setting in IS PSP but, if there is, it won't reduce completion time by that much since the encounter rate would stay the same and it wasn't a difficult game in the first place. Reference: Average completion time is around 36.5 hours on HLTB.

You could cut that by some amount if you don't care about extra story dialogue or optional quest stuff.

Yeah. There's a difficulty setting. No it doesn't really affect completion times. It's kind of pointless.

bonercop

His new look is dumb. Especially because he dyed his hair. He could have easily done that without the dye.

Kanji's "beautiful blonde hair" is the result of him bleaching his hair. Kanji's hair in the epilogue is probably his rel hair color.
im sorry

Dantis

Soejima draws the characters differently based on the project's requirements. Kanji has the unfortunate disadvantage of not featuring in many illustrations, and of the last four illustrations featuring him, three were goofy. Kanji is still drawn properly when Soejima is doing a not goofy style:

I assume he'll look 'right' in P4D though. I also have a feeling that if Soejima's Naoto illustrations bug you, then Naoto in P4D will really bug you.

I thought he dyed his hair blonde at first. lol

Because you know... since he is Japanese.. I assumed he had dark hair to begin with.

But I know that doesn't apply much in anime and games... especially when we already have people with blue and grey hair lol

I also have a feeling that if Soejima's Naoto illustrations bug you, then Naoto in P4D will really bug you.
I actually have no problem with Naoto looking feminine when she wants to--my main issue is her being depicted as feminine when she's ostensibly being depicted when she's in androgyny mode.

Wazzy

Banned
Like I said, both are enjoyable so no worries!
I am disappointed in you!

P4G have a good opening, but I find the original much better. Completely different tone and style.
Yeah I really like the tone and sound of the original. Definitely more serious.
Kanji's "beautiful blonde hair" is the result of him bleaching his hair. Kanji's hair in the epilogue is probably his rel hair color.
im sorry
I know he dyed it but what I meant is he should have kept it. Or at the very least not styled it in the dorkiest way possible.
I thought he dyed his hair blonde at first. lol

Because you know... since he is Japanese.. I assumed he had dark hair to begin with.

But I know that doesn't apply much in anime and games... especially when we already have people with blue and grey hair lol
No you're right, I'm pretty sure he dyed it. I just prefer his blonde hair, heh.
Both Yosuke and Kanji dye their hair.
Wait, what?

Wazzy

Banned
Oh, you also understood that? So, what was that picture? ... you know.. just to check if you got that right... hehe

Oh I was referring to the fact Chie and Yosuke apparently dye their hair.

All I know is that character is from DR2 and I have yet to play it. :(

Oh I was referring to the fact Chie and Yosuke apparently dye their hair.

All I know is that character is from DR2 and I have yet to play it. :(

I was joking, I don't know what that picture has to do with Chie and Yosuke. lol

original.0

Yosuke and Chie are secretly the hosts of the Persona Stalker Club.

So... I never heard about this Stalker Club, so I still don't get the relation it has with the dyed hair.

5(127).png

Can I use these Danganronpa reaction pngs too? It's so cool. xD

Sophia

To me it just seems a bit much. I dunno. Does... does Naoto dye her hair?

From my understanding of talking to former JET participants, most schools in Japan have a rule about not dying your hair. For Kanji it makes sense, given his delinquent status. But it doesn't sound right for Yosuke or Chie. :\

So... I never heard about this Stalker Club, so I still don't get the relation it has with the dyed hair.

Well, it's a talk show with those two hosts focused on Persona. They do a lot of stuff, like playing segments or watching trailers from PQ/PAU, they answer fan questions like where are Jiraiya's eyes or I suppose Chie and Yosuke dying their hair, show merchandise and also have segments where they listen to Persona music and try to make up what they understand (the songs of this segment are having their own album named "Persora"). They have also had some guests like Lotus Juice and the VA of Adachi.

20140331_042821_thumb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom