• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

So PQ has already outsold Arena.

Pretty cool. I'd be surprised if they didn't do a sequel at some point.

EDIT: Man, the Naoto hate is strong in this thread. Below Marie? Come on now.

I completely forgot about Marie, so that's a thing.

Also, I'd look at this less as "We hate the people on the bottom" and more "we just like these other people more".

FluxWaveZ

It has. 243k. Arena did 220k.

Looking at the sales data from both Media Create charts, it's evident that PQ at least outperformed P4A initially, but where did the 220k number come from?

Edit: Ah, I see, I think it was from an Index press release (link of which no longer works). That's pretty awesome, though it's not so much that it's surprising given the genre, but the fact that it's the first Nintendo platform Persona game.

P3 Guys: Shinjiro > Junpei > Makoto > Ken > Akihiko
P3 Girls: Yukari > Mitsuru > Aigis > Fuuka >> Metis
P4 Guys: Alpha Male Yu Narukami > Kanji > Brosuke > Teddie
P4 Girls: Yukiko > Naoto > Chie > Rise

lol And woah man, I totally forgot about Metis, just like the others. Guess that leaves an impression about her, huh
She'll also be last on mine. That voice...

I like Stephanie Sheh and all, but Metis was a raging womanchild.
How people give Yukari shit when she's around is beyond me. Yukari wanted to fight, but Metis rolled out an arena! Not to mention only bringing up the fights could end up permadeath after Aki and Ken were turned to flames. Aigis' reaction to that warmed me up to her considerably.

P3 Guys: Shinjiro > Junpei > Makoto > Ken > Akihiko
P3 Girls: Yukari > Mitsuru > Aigis > Fuuka >> Metis
P4 Guys: Alpha Male Yu Narukami > Kanji > Brosuke > Teddie
P4 Girls: Yukiko > Naoto > Chie > Rise
lol And woah man, I totally forgot about Metis, just like the others. Guess that leaves an impression about her, huh
She'll also be last on mine. That voice...

biodude

Neo Member
I finished my junpei necklace! It's not completely cleaned up yet (just finished it), but I'm happy how it turned out. I'm going to try to get/ make a swivel for it instead of using a smaller chain on the big chain like I have now.

7c9573aaff.jpg

based off of :

989f6f8936.jpg

Trigger

I finished my junpei necklace! It's not completely cleaned up yet (just finished it), but I'm happy how it turned out. I'm going to try to get/ make a swivel for it instead of using a smaller chain on the big chain like I have now.

That's actually pretty cool.

So, let's do this:

P3 girls: Mitsuru > Yukari > Chidori > Aigis > Elizabeth > Ms. Toriumi > Chihiro > Fuuka > Yuko

P3 guys: Makoto > Junpei > Ryoji > Shinjiro > Takeharu > Ken > Akihiko > Kenji > Hidetoshi > Akinari > Takaya > Jin> Tanaka > Mutatsu > Keisuke > Kazushi > Bebe > Nozomi > Ikutsuki

P4 guys: Teddie > Kanji > Yu > Daisuke > Yosuke > Dojima > Funky Student > Kou > Adachi > Naoki > Morooka

And again, great art, Dantis!

You are such a dedicated fan, dude! You have my appreciation.

That doesn't make sense. Both PQ and Ultimax look like they'll have the potential to be very successful, with PQ naturally being the one with the most sales.
Of course they'll both be successful, I just thought Ultimax would beat PQ. I guess it's due to the fact Ultimax/Arena are also available in arcades, and handhelds being popular in Japan.

FluxWaveZ

Of course they'll both be successful, I just thought Ultimax would beat PQ. I guess it's due to the fact Ultimax/Arena are also available in arcades, and handhelds being popular in Japan.

Fighting game sales just don't reach the numbers of RPGs, especially in Japan. P4A was one of the best selling fighting games in recent years, and I think it's probable that P4AU will be able to sell even more than its predecessor, despite not performing as well as PQ. There's also the factors you mention, in addition to stuff like the on-going P3M films.

Don't really know anything about how rhythm idol games sell there if it's not carried by the Hatsune Miku brand, though, so that's something I'll have to read up on. Might be the worst selling of the spin-offs solely because of its platform.

Squire

Banned

Fighting game re-releases always sell less than the previous release of the game and everyone involved in the project knows that; Expectations are adjusted accordingly.

There's nothing that surprising or really even remarkable about PQ outselling Arena. I'd say it was practically inevitable. Look at the hype for/general attitude towards the game.

Dan only posted the "news" 'cause he dislikes Arena. :b

Fighting game sales just don't reach the numbers of RPGs, especially in Japan. P4A was one of the best selling fighting games in recent years, and I think it's probable that P4AU will be able to seel even more than its predecessor, despite not performing as well as PQ. There's also the factors you mention, in addition to stuff like the on-going P3M films.

Don't really know anything about how rhythm idol games sell there if it's not carried by the Hatsune Miku brand, though, so that's something I'll have to read up on. Might be the worse selling of the spin-offs solely because of its platform.

You think Ultimax will sell more than Arena? Being on a last-gen system and a sequel/update definitely won't help move units with the casual crowd. I know quite a few people who bought Arena solely as a fighter, played their good share and have no interest in buying an update.

FluxWaveZ

Fighting game re-releases always sell less than the previous release of the game and everyone involved in the project knows that; Expectations are adjusted accordingly.

That's not really true. There are other cases, but here's opening sales for Continuum Shift to Chrono Phantasma:

CS: 50k
CP: 72k

You think Ultimax will sell more than Arena? Being on a last-gen system and a sequel/update definitely won't help move units with the casual crowd. I know quite a few people who bought Arena solely as a fighter, played their good share and have no interest in buying an update.

Being on a last-gen system is irrelevant because we're talking about the Japanese market here, right?

And the casual crowd doesn't care that it's a sequel/update, but care about what that entails. Look at the views they're getting just for minute long, simple character trailers on their Youtube page. It's crazy. The marketing in general that P4AU is receiving compared to P4A is significantly higher, and then match that with the overall Persona zeitgeist that is occurring this year (including the recently announced P4U stage play) and there's no doubt in my mind that P4U2 will at least have an opening of 140k, matching/slightly beating P4U's.

Persona Stalker Club: "The next question asks which protagonist the viewers chose to use—Persona 3 or 4′s—which results in P4 coming in a little higher at 55.2% and P3 at 44.8%."
P4 still winning the fight.

It's close. lol

But I wasn't intending to start comparisons such who is the best MC. It's just because Makoto's last appearance in a game was years ago.

FluxWaveZ

those sales figures are only for japan. Last time i checked Arena was approaching 600k worldwide.

Let's wait until both new titles are released worldwide.

Chartz numbers, dude?

And I'm pretty sure we're just discussing Japan sales. I think those would pretty much reflect worldwide trends with these games, with the (minor) possible exception and X-factor being Persona 5.

Squire

Banned
those sales figures are only for japan. Last time i checked Arena was approaching 600k worldwide.

Let's wait until both new titles are released worldwide.

Why? I don't see the harm in discussing JP sales of JP games.

If we wait on the world we're potentially talking about a Fall 2015 discussion, hehehe. ;3

But I wasn't intending to start comparisons such who is the best MC. It's just because Makoto's last appearance in a game was years ago.
I know, just pointing out that it's not doing great because just of him if he isn't even the most preferred protagonist. Besides, Shinji's, Koro's and Ken's (not sure about Yukari and Junpei) last appeareance was years ago too since Ultimax hasn't been released yet and they weren't announced at the moment. So it's more likely the fact that all of P3's and P4's whole gangs are working together and having fun instead of fighting each other.

Caladrius

I can't wait for the arena shooter and Otome game.
Of course I would play the shit out of both of those so I can't really joke.

Why? I don't see the harm in discussing JP sales of JP games.

If we wait on the world we're potentially talking about a Fall 2015 discussion, hehehe. ;3

lol hopefully by fall 2015, Europe will have Ultimax, let alone P5 and Dance. Id prob guess Ultimax will outsell Q in the west but not in the east.

The sales for P4 Dance will be the most interesting.

FluxWaveZ

Atlus' collaboration strategy is a neat one. Despite only having around 121 employees, their internal development output seems remarkable because of the cost effective way in which they handle things, one of them being how they seem to leave the fundamental efforts for their spin-offs to the respective developers who have the required expertise (and there's also SMTxFE). It strengthens the Persona brand, while growing Atlus' library and—in this case—potentially leaving them room to focus on their bigger titles, like Persona 5.

It's something I can see them continuing to do in the future. Heh, kinda like a Space Dandy type of deal where renowned Japanese developers have their unique twists and takes on Persona.

Kssio_Aug

WOW!!! I'm so happy now!! After hours and hours of grinding I just got Hardcore Risette Fan trophy! And better then just that, I got it right at the moment I found the Reaper (that I was having a hard time to find either)!! Now I'm ready to platinum and with no headaches! =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom