• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nachos

Shadow Training Akihiko:
tumblr_n4xhkoxVgo1tt73w0o1_1280.png

It's hard to say which of your designs I like most, but this is definitely up there. The only thing that bothers me is that Polydeuces has the robotic right arm, while the shadow has the robotic left. I don't know if that was intentional, kind of like a orthodox/southpaw boxing dichotomy or not, though.

Holy crap, it's really been that long!
Ne8IU8a.png

The character you've all been waiting fur; Teddie, the manliest of all men. Despite his a-bear-ance, you shouldn't underestimate him! Though you probably shouldn't overestimate him either, he can be beary unpredictable with the golf cub. Still, you can't help but crack a smile seeing him make paw for the course.

Did I make enough bear puns?

Little miss killjoy, Naoto is next.

I think this might be my favorite design for this series yet. I have to wonder, though; why not the other Teddie?

Scrambles pls

Lisa is mai waifu 4 laifu

Speaking of non-existent characters, would you guys be down for Soejima redesigns of the P1-2 cast in "modern persona time" (i.e. P2: IS would be grown-ups, P2:EP/P1 would be MEGA GROWN-UPS,) or do you think the only person that should touch those designs is Kaneko?

And by Soejima redesigns I'm not talking about P4A redesigns, I mean actual normal-people-clothes redesigns.

Thanks for the comments again guys.
It's hard to say which of your designs I like most, but this is definitely up there. The only thing that bothers me is that Polydeuces has the robotic right arm, while the shadow has the robotic left. I don't know if that was intentional, kind of like a orthodox/southpaw boxing dichotomy or not, though.
It was kind of an accident, I made the robot arm the left because I think Akihiko favors his left. I honestly didn't put much more thought into it than that.

Speaking of non-existent characters, would you guys be down for Soejima redesigns of the P1-2 cast in "modern persona time" (i.e. P2: IS would be grown-ups, P2:EP/P1 would be MEGA GROWN-UPS,) or do you think the only person that should touch those designs is Kaneko?

And by Soejima redesigns I'm not talking about P4A redesigns, I mean actual normal-people-clothes redesigns.
I don't know about P1-2 characters, but I would love to see Soejima design some actually serious redesigns of the P3 cast instead of the caricaturized superheroes we get in Arena.

PK Gaming

Super cool!

You know, reading your commentary makes me appreciate the drawing even more.

Holy crap, it's really been that long!
Ne8IU8a.png

The character you've all been waiting fur; Teddie, the manliest of all men. Despite his a-bear-ance, you shouldn't underestimate him! Though you probably shouldn't overestimate him either, he can be beary unpredictable with the golf cub. Still, you can't help but crack a smile seeing him make paw for the course.

Did I make enough bear puns?

Little miss killjoy, Naoto is next.

Nice work, you really picked the perfect design for him.

Nachos

I'd be fine with it, but I would definitely want them to favor their P2 designs instead of being completely reinvented. Despite being heavily '90s-based, most of them would work in the modern age with just a few tweaks, like Maki.

I don't know about P1-2 characters, but I would love to see Soejima design some actually serious redesigns of the P3 cast instead of the caricaturized superheroes we get in Arena.

Oh absolutely, this up there in my wishlist for Ultimax, that we get like an epilogue or something where Mitsuru, Akihiko, etc. are wearing new, stylish, Soejima designed outfits, Fuuka's outfit is amazing, and I'd really want to see what Soejima can do with the others.

I really doubt it'll happen though :'(

I'd be fine with it, but I would definitely want them to favor their P2 designs instead of being completely reinvented. Despite being heavily '90s-based, most of them would work in the modern age with just a few tweaks, like Maki.

but they wouldn't look or dress the same way 12 years later

Nachos

but they wouldn't look or dress the same way 12 years later

I don't mean they have to wear the exact same outfit as they did in the past, but it would be nice if their designs were natural progressions of how they were portrayed in P2, instead of being as huge of a jump some of them had between P1 and P2. Most of them seemed to have settled into an identity for themselves.

The characters new to P2 could be more up in the air.

I would totally play a Persona x Metalocalypse game. Atlus pls. ;__;
Skwigelf1.jpg

"So's what's your's saying's is that you kill's your's f-*guitar noise* up thoughts? That's the most metal thing's I've ever heard's."

According to Persona 3, Eikichi takes over the sushi shop

Words cannot describe how disappointed I was when I read that

Dammit, I never caught that...at least the art of sushi is the most brütal of the culinary arts.

CorvoSol

Lisa...Silverman?

Is that like your OC or something? Everyone knows theres no American characters in Purse Owners

Pls Yu Narukami is so American. I said so in my head.

Also I kinda feel like there's an apt comparison between Persona and Gundam to be made, in that P2's protagonist is this interesting guy whose fans never shut up about him, Persona 3 is a "darker, more serious" game with a protagonist who had a rough past (but whose female counterpart is the true champion), and Persona 4 is about a goofy guy who can get fuckin' real when creepy older women's underlings try to mess with his little sister.

Hopefully Persona 5 skips CCA, Unicorn and F91 and turns out like Crossbone.

PK Gaming

Pls Yu Narukami is so American. I said so in my head.

Also I kinda feel like there's an apt comparison between Persona and Gundam to be made, in that P2's protagonist is this interesting guy whose fans never shut up about him, Persona 3 is a "darker, more serious" game with a protagonist who had a rough past (but whose female counterpart is the true champion), and Persona 4 is about a goofy guy who can get fuckin' real when creepy older women's underlings try to mess with his little sister.

Hopefully Persona 5 skips CCA, Unicorn and F91 and turns out like Crossbone.

Which Gundam protagonists/anime are you referring to?

CorvoSol

Which Gundam protagonists/anime are you referring to?

Tatsuya is Amuro, Makoto is Kamille, and Yu is Judau. Because Judau has the whole imouto thing and the whole "I will save you" thing. Kamille has all the social problems plus Zeta/P3 spoilers ahooooy!
Both of them do not have happy endings during their runs.
Emma Sheen of Zeta Gundam is FeMC because fuck yes Emma Sheen. And Tatsuya is Amuro cuz he's that one guy who started it all.

Fred is Koji Kabuto because I don't know.

So I mentioned this in my P4 retrospective thing but nobody commented on it, so I was wondering did anyone else (Major P4 spoilers)
feel like Adachi got totally shafted? He's a fucking awesome villain but then ends up not only being ridiculously easy but gets replaced by some Necron wannabe. At least both boss themes are awesome.

So I mentioned this in my P4 retrospective thing but nobody commented on it, so I was wondering did anyone else (Major P4 spoilers)
feel like Adachi got totally shafted? He's a fucking awesome villain but then ends up not only being ridiculously easy but gets replaced by some Necron wannabe. At least both boss themes are awesome.

I always felt like Ameno-Sagiri was an extension of the Adachi bossfight, since he takes over his body and all.

CorvoSol

I didn't really think that boss looked anything like Necron. I mean, it was a psychedelic beholder type, and Necron is more of a corpsey caskety dude with a cape and no hair.

But I'm not too upset by what happens since Persona 1 laid the groundwork for that when
Nyarlothep possessed Kandori.
And at least in Persona 4 they explained that shit. This is the only time in Persona 1 that
Nyarlothep is mentioned, and by mentioned I mean the box says "Nyarlothep's voice" and that is it. Nobody comments on that after the fight at all.

PK Gaming

Adachi will always be the primary antagonist of Persona 4 for me. Izanami doesn't even register for; an afterthought, much like how Necron was for FFIX. At least her design was good.

But I'm not too upset by what happens since Persona 1 laid the groundwork for that when
And at least in Persona 4 they explained that shit. This is the only time in Persona 1 that
Nyarlothep is mentioned, and by mentioned I mean the box says "Nyarlothep's voice" and that is it. Nobody comments on that after the fight at all.

About the Nyarly thing; just be patient.
I really don't want to say any more

I didn't really think that boss looked anything like Necron. I mean, it was a psychedelic beholder type, and Necron is more of a corpsey caskety dude with a cape and no hair.

I was more referring to
how he appears pretty much out of nowhere with no foreshadowing. The game doesn't even really imply that there's a being behind everything either.

Whenever a villain appears and then has to tell you "I am actually behind everything" you know they done goofed with their storytelling.

I sort of agree, yeah. I get that they wanted to work that angle in there, that there's a bigger power involved, but it seemed so sudden and starkly contrasted with the rest of the rather rooted story. Of course, jumping into TV worlds, with shadows, personas, etc, isn't exactly rooted, but the game seems to set its story boundaries early on, and sticks to them all the way up to that point where it then goes
"OH YEAH, THERE ARE SOME JAPANESE GODS WHO ARE BEHIND ALL THIS. IT'S CRAZY BRO. Adachi? Oh, he's just a fuckin' loon."

The Mass Effect 3 ending was similar in that regard. It was like the story broke its own rules.

CorvoSol

I was more referring to
how he appears pretty much out of nowhere with no foreshadowing. The game doesn't even really imply that there's a being behind everything either.

Whenever a villain appears and then has to tell you "I am actually behind everything" you know they done goofed with their storytelling.

They actually do imply it, fairly early on. Not in a big, flashy way, but
When Shadow Teddie appears they point it out.

I get that he's a thing in P2, but that's not the point. Taking P1 as a standalone, it's random and weird to do that kind of thing.

I guess that back then, they didn't want the games to stand alone as much as they do now. :/

This is quite apparent in Eternal Punishment, when P1 characters make blatant cameos

They actually do imply it, fairly early on. Not in a big, flashy way, but
When Shadow Teddie appears they point it out.

Oh yea, I remember now how
there's a few moments where it's implied there's "another power" or something like that.

I don't know things go in golden with Marie and all that, but they should have replaced Ameno-Sagiri (I think that's the name) with a 2nd phase vs Adachi and then just Izanami as the true final boss.

I sort of agree, yeah. I get that they wanted to work that angle in there, that there's a bigger power involved, but it seemed so sudden and starkly contrasted with the rest of the rather rooted story. Of course, jumping into TV worlds, with shadows, personas, etc, isn't exactly rooted, but the game seems to set its story boundaries early on, and sticks to them all the way up to that point where it then goes
"OH YEAH, THERE ARE SOME JAPANESE GODS WHO ARE BEHIND ALL THIS. IT'S CRAZY BRO. Adachi? Oh, he's just a fuckin' loon."

The Mass Effect 3 ending was similar in that regard. It was like the story broke its own rules.

I did feel like a large chunk of the ending after the Adachi battle was a huge info dump explaining pretty much everything about the TV world and Izanami's motives. Took me a while after to wrap my head around it.

Also god damn Mist and The Almighty are some righteous tracks. I wish the rest of the game's music had been this good.

CorvoSol

I guess that back then, they didn't want the games to stand alone as much as they do now. :/

This is quite apparent in Eternal Punishment, when P1 characters make blatant cameos

Well I mean, it's one thing for characters from an old game to turn up in a new game. It's quite another for the villain of a game that hasn't been made yet to travel back into the past to cameo in a game in which he is not a character, element of the plot, or in any way really significant to the narrative.

Moonlight

Banned
"The Genesis" would have been way better if they figured out how to sync the music properly to the events on screen. Getting the orchestral 'Reach Out to the Truth' on like...
the prelude to summoning Izanagi no Okami or something, or at least getting close to finishing off Izanami would have been a lot better than how it wound up working out.

CorvoSol

Unpopular opinion time! I don't think any Persona game I've played so far (or SMT4, for that matter) has had a good final boss theme. Maybe FF just spoiled me in that regard. Kinda like I think Avidya World is a piece of shit because it goes on forever but there isn't any good music to jam to. Just annoying sound. Final dungeons ought to have jammin' tunes.

Guess Who

Banned
Unpopular opinion time! I don't think any Persona game I've played so far (or SMT4, for that matter) has had a good final boss theme. Maybe FF just spoiled me in that regard. Kinda like I think Avidya World is a piece of shit because it goes on forever but there isn't any good music to jam to. Just annoying sound. Final dungeons ought to have jammin' tunes.

I personally liked both of Persona 3's. When I first heard
Burn My Dread -Last Battle-
outside of the context of the fight I was like "what, this doesn't sound final boss worthy at all", but in the game I thought it fit really well.

CorvoSol

What can I say? Not a big fan of any of them. I mean, I think 3 and 4's are okay, but I'll take my extreme, battle to the death and fires of suzaku.

Now, battle themes, on the other hand, Persona is solid the whole way through.

Except P2. P2 is passable because the rest of the series has spoiled me and I expect a JPOP lady to be rockin' out while I do battle.

Meia

And here I thought Battle for Everyone's Souls was universally loved. :p

CorvoSol

I don't hate them, but after all the hype the final battle songs got out of P3 I was pretty damn underwhelmed.

At least I remember P3 and P4's final battle songs, I guess. All I remember about the music during P1's final battle was how loudly I was swearing over top of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom