• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is actually what I meant, to be as specific as possible. These are probably going to be Soejima's most appealing designs yet.

I don't mean to suggest they're manufacturing the game, but I'm sure they'd like to move some merchandise.

It's actually my biggest concern with P5. I don't want potential popularity to have been an influence when writing the characters, though I'm sure they'll do a good job.

FluxWaveZ

From what ive seen so far.

I don't know, dude. The first thing she does when you see her in the game is freak out while pointing a gun at herself, and the second thing is her freaking out hardcore thinking the protagonist is a Shadow, struggling to pull her gun out.

But yeah, personal interpretations and stuff.

Wait... Yukari? Even her P4U2 entrance by the announcer is a riff on how she's not laid back.

I don't know, dude. The first thing she does when you see her in the game is freak out while pointing a gun at herself, and the second thing is her freaking out hardcore thinking the protagonist is a Shadow, struggling to pull her gun out.

But yeah, personal interpretations and stuff.

Yeah, I guess from my perspective she just seems like a kool character. Junpei aswell. Mitsuru is to serious. Ken and the dog are just there.......although i do like the dog when he barks :)........I think im biased towards akihiko because i use him in arena.

The only other character that has gained my interest other than yukari and junpei is fuuka.

Squire

Banned
It's actually my biggest concern with P5. I don't want potential popularity to have been an influence when writing the characters, though I'm sure they'll do a good job.

I don't expect it to affect the writing. I mean, the writing is ultimately what endears people to the characters. They have a taste for visual flair and that might be how they bring you in, but for most people that doesn't seem to be how they keep you at all.

And yeah, Yukari is wound hella tight, guys.

PK Gaming

Yeah, Yukari is like the polar opposite of laid back.

She's defensive, short-tempered and confrontational for most of Persona 3. Watching her grow out of that by the end of P3 was like a reward in itself. God, she was such a good character.

Bmrd_snCcAAeuv6.png:large

donthatemyanimuyoustupidjerksihateyouall

Yeah, Yukari is like the polar opposite of laid back.

She's defensive, short-tempered and confrontational for most of Persona 3. Watching her grow out of that by the end of P3 was like a reward in itself. God, she was such a good character.

I really hope they don't ruin her and Junpei in P4AU, while P4 as a whole has better characters than P3, Yukari and Junpei are among the best characters in the series as far as I am concerned.

So, regarding the P3 movies. I think that there could be four. I don't know when the second one ends, but for the third one, there's a really good point where it could end, and that's when
Ryoji tells them about Nyx. They could focus the fourth movie on everyone finding their reason to fight Nyx, the fight itself, maybe some scenes from Aigis Social Link (along with others, of course), and then the ending.
At least that's what I think.And who know if they'll do something about The Answer. In any case, it doesn't matter how many movies there will be, the Hanged Man, Sun and Hermit Social Links should be included.

And, regarding the P4GA, I've been thinking that now that Marie is there, this time (don't read this if you haven't played P4G, duh)
they should give Izanami more screen time, right? I mean, what's the point in having Marie if Izanami is not going to explain anything about her. That way, they could make the ending may not feel as rushed as it did in the original P4tA. Also, there are other scenes I'm looking forward, specially the Ski trip (please, make Yu get lost with the boys) and possibly Christmas and New Year. Also, regarding Adachi Social Link, there were some scenes in P4G that were clearly inspired by the original P4tA, like when Adachi shoots Yu and misses. But it would be nice to have the other scenes in P4GA. Also, if they include the Golden Epilogue, they could mention the crazy stuff that happened in May, which could lead to a teaser of the P4Arena Animation.
A man can dream, right?

Yukari and Junpei are meant to be the people that you're closest too and the most relatable (at least in my opinion). They represent two sides of being in SEES, with Junpei being the person that's gung-ho and wants to jump in and fight shadows while Yukari is the person that's more reserved and thoughtful about what's going on. Not to mention you're in the same year, acquire your persona around the same time, etc. The rest of the crew (excluding Aigis, obviously) are more supposed to be acquaintances/teammates rather than your best friends, even by the end of the game. IMO they nailed it really well, especially Yukari. The biggest crime FES commits above all others is not having a Junpei social link.

P3 obviously has narrative problems but at least in terms of relationships between party members I think they did exactly what they were trying to accomplish. One of the reasons I think complaining about how nobody in P3 feels like they're "friends" is silly because that's entirely the point for like 80% of the game.

After playing P4 I really hope they try something unique with the party dynamics for P5. I don't want everyone to be best friends but I also don't want everyone to be distant for most of the game.

I don't expect it to affect the writing. I mean, the writing is ultimately what endears people to the characters. They have a taste for visual flair and that might be how they bring you in, but for most people that doesn't seem to be how they keep you at all.

The difference is that none of those characters were written when Persona characters were enormously popular. All that waifu cash might be a bit hard to ignore when writing the cast of P5.

I won't lie that my biggest concerns for P5 are it being too merchandise driven and it ending up too big for its britches. P3 and P4 (to a lesser extent) were made when they were still pretty humble, and I hope P5 doesn't lose that. But I'm sure it'll be fine.

CorvoSol

"Welcome to the Velvet Room stupidjerkfaceihateyou, we've been expecting you..."

No, but seriously, hope ya'll ready for some YuxMarie being canon!

Please. Name a woman Yu Narukami has met who is not romantically viable with him. As of P4 Yu is gonna start charming all Makoto's ladies, too. Then he's gonna pull out the master sword, travel back in time, and woo the P1 and P2 girls. And if that shit ain't enough for you, Yu Narukami will make FeMC canon just so she can fall for his omnistudliness.

Saint Narukami has nearly as much game as Final Fantasy Four's Cecil "Every girl on this planet and others loves me" Harvey.

Please. Name a woman Yu Narukami has met who is not romantically viable with him. As of P4 Yu is gonna start charming all Makoto's ladies, too. Then he's gonna pull out the master sword, travel back in time, and woo the P1 and P2 girls. And if that shit ain't enough for you, Yu Narukami will make FeMC canon just so she can fall for his omnistudliness.

Saint Narukami has nearly as much game as Final Fantasy Four's Cecil "Every girl on this planet and others loves me" Harvey.
Did Eri show any inkling of anything towards the protagonist? I can't recall. I think every other important female character does (counting Hisano saying he reminds her of her husband).

Hanako. Kashiwagi.
Isn't Hanako
your secret admirer in P4, leaving gifts in your shoe locker?

And Kashiwagi was shown to be more than willing to jump on his bone. Granted, she's more than willing to jump on any, but...

As for romantically viable... well, that's up to the player.

CorvoSol

The stepmom.

Hanako. Kashiwagi.

What? Kashiwagi definitely is. Yu may not want to jump her bones, but she does want to jump his. Same with Hanako.

Did Eri show any inkling of anything towards the protagonist? I can't recall. I think every other important female character does (counting Hisano saying he reminds her of her husband).

In my defense regarding Eri, I have failed to reach rank 2 with Eri both times I played P4G. It's the one SLink I haven't finished.

Having every girl wanting Yu was funny the first time I played but this time it was just kind of dumb. It just felt more like wish fulfillment lol. Especially when the non-lovers path for the girls was so much more satisfying
and less creepy anime girls telling me they love me.

I think the worst is Margaret. Fuse 10 personas and suddenly she's in love with you.

edit: I thought Eri was cool until she told me how she went to some like religious revival thing at rank 4 and I was like nope.

edit2: Doesn't Ai end up
having a crush on Kou instead?
Don't you end up being a huge ass if you make her your girlfriend?

Having every girl wanting Yu was funny the first time I played but this time it was just kind of dumb. It just felt more like wish fulfillment lol. Especially when the non-lovers path for the girls was so much more satisfying

I think the worst is Margaret. Fuse 10 personas and suddenly she's in love with you.
Not really a whole lot different from P3's protagonist. The only important female characters that don't want him are Bunkichi's wife and Chidori.
His teacher even fell in love with him twice.

There's two possible relationships with her--the "fake" one if you jump the gun too early, and a real one if you wait and play your hand right.

PK Gaming

edit: I thought Eri was cool until she told me how she went to some like religious revival thing at rank 4 and I was like nope.

Every Persona outside of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment does this, so it's pretty much a series staple at this point. Makoto's the worst offender because you're literally not allowed to have a platonic relationship with any of the girls. Want to be friends with Fuuka? Fuck you, it's kissy-kissy time.

Scratch that, Katsuya and Tatsuya want to bang Maya, and i'm 80% sure if you got Ulala drunk enough, she'd want to jump Maya's bones too.

Re: Did you do Ai's social link?
She finds out that Kou has a crush on Chie and has a mental breakdown. You help her cope with it.
The romance in her link is actually because it doesn't feel incredibly forced; if you try to make her your girlfriend while she's emotionally vulnerable, the relationship doesn't work out at all.

Not really a whole lot different from P3's protagonist. The only important female characters that don't want him are Bunkichi's wife and Chidori.
His teacher even fell in love with him twice.

Haha, you have a point. I think P3 just has less female S. Links so its less noticeable
part of the reason the Hermit link is so amazing.

There's two possible relationships with her--the "fake" one if you jump the gun too early, and a real one if you wait and play your hand right.

Huh, I think when I did her S. Link I didn't romance her because I thought she did like someone else. Oh well.

edit: ^I see.

edit2: Shit, now I'm not even sure if I completed it or not. I know I at least got to
her on the roof and then denying the relationship.
I guess not.

Re: Did you do Ai's social link?
She finds out that Kou has a crush on Chie and has a mental breakdown. You help her cope with it.
The romance in her link is actually because it doesn't feel incredible forced; if you try to make her your girlfriend while she's emotionally vulnerable, the relationship doesn't work out at all.

That's cool. I did the same as crush so I never saw this.

That knowledge also solidifies for me that Rise's s.link is unbelievably lame.

PK Gaming

Haha, you have a point. I think P3 just has less female S. Links so its less noticeable
part of the reason the Hermit link is so amazing.

P3 has 7 romance links (8 if you include Elizabeth)
P4 has 6 romance links (7 if you include Marie)

All of the P3 romance links follow the standard: hang out a bunch of times > listen or help the girl overcome her problems > shenanigans > I love you > we'll bang ok (though with Yukari's it's kind of the point? and Aigis I suppose)

On the other hand, P4 romance is slapped towards the end of the social link (with the exception of Ai but her s.link is fucking amazing ok)

So i'm really not sure how it's less noticeable...

^I'm more referring to just the girls wanting him in general, not just romance links. Like the Nurse or Margaret.

Rise's link is whatever. I was amused that she has an incredibly obvious and huge crush on the protagonist and then that's literally never brought up the entire time you're "dating" her. And that the romance decision moment is based on whether you hug her or act like an ass and do nothing while she's crying.

Guess Who

Banned
Rise's link is whatever. I was amused that she has an incredibly obvious and huge crush on the protagonist and then that's literally never brought up the entire time you're "dating" her. And that the romance decision moment is based on whether you hug her or act like an ass and do nothing while she's crying.

I was more under the impression that Rise's just kind of flirty like that.

I was hoping for stories of comical meltdowns*, not gross mess like that. :(

*I checked to see what the reveal was at lunch and I laughed for five minutes straight. I'm honestly not sure what I wanted it to be, but this was the funniest possible outcome.

PK Gaming

^I'm more referring to just the girls wanting him in general, not just romance links. Like the Nurse or Margaret.

It's the same deal Persona 3; Makoto is a bishie hearthrob in and out of his social links. Some of the faceless female NPCs comment on his attractiveness. Hell, even some of the guys want him. Ryoji is totally into him (the drama CDs take it way, further fwiw), and apparently BeBe is too but I've never finished his social link so I can't confirm.

EDIT: Rise admits to being half serious with her constant flirting during her social link. Her relaxed demeanor during her social link is entirely due to the fact that feels comfortable around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom