• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
January 27th.

I knew someone would answer with this.

rJsg0ju.jpg

lol

SMT is so forgotten that the released Soul Hackers(on DS), SMT IV, and SMT 1 (iOS) in the past year.

Except in Yurop.

Though, I think that is due to NoE fucking up more than anything.

PK Gaming

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Haha, I was just going to post that

If you talk to Dojima on certain days, you can go to Junes as a family. You basically get to overhear your friends talking to each other.

Supposedly, they're a couple of them scattered throughout the game, but i've only seen 1.

They're really awesome.

Man, there's so much hidden stuff in this game.

Kinda late but thanks to everyone for the welcome! The "I" wasn't intentional but oh well.

Anyways. I'm going to talk about how I got into Persona! The first time I heard about the Persona series was when I saw the SMTxFE announcement and a lot of comments where about "Will Persona characters appear?" and then I kept hearing that P4G was the best game for Vita and so. When I heard about the big Persona announcement of November, I said to myself "Hm, maybe they will show something for 3DS" And the day after I was right! I saw the PQ trailer and thought it was really cool so I began reading the GAF thread and Siliconera's article about the game and series and decided to buy P3:FES and P4 in preparation for PQ.

Here's a pastebin with what I thought while playing P3:FES! The story, characters, gameplay, etc. There are spoilers there of course. If you're interesed read it!
http://pastebin.com/7h4ZySkz

So in the end I really enjoyed playing it and it became one of my favorite games. I got a little sad moving await from it but I still had Persona 4 to go! I'll probabily post about it later.

Yukari>Akihiko>Koromaru>Mitsuru>Junpei>Shinjiro>Aigis>Ken>Fuuka>Metis

I don't think mainline SMT will ever end up like that, although it's not getting the same treatment as Persona is tho. :(
I don't want it to, I just don't want to wait 10 years for SMT V to pop up.

SMT is so forgotten that they released Soul Hackers(on DS), SMT IV, and SMT 1 (iOS) in the past year.

Well to be fair, Soul Hackers isn't a SMT game, it took a decade for us to get a actual "SMT IV" and they couldn't even be bothered to release SMT 1 on android. While Persona has gotten 2 remakes, 2 fighting games, a dancing game, a EO spinoff, and a mainline title in the last 2 years.

PK Gaming

I don't want it to, I just don't want to wait 10 years for SMT V to pop up.

Well to be fair, Soul Hackers isn't a SMT game, it took a decade for us to get a actual "SMT IV" and they couldn't even be bothered to release SMT 1 on android. While Persona has gotten 2 remakes, 2 fighting games, a dancing game, a EO spinoff, and a mainline title in the last 2 years.

It's not ?_?

Snakeyes

@9thwonder: Eh, I can't really complain about Atlus giving more attention to the more popular franchise. Besides, be careful what you wish for - imagine if Atlus decided to show us some love with SMT: Purgatory Dance-Off or something.

Anyway: I'm a little worried about P5's art direction. Like, Catherine's character designs were great (except for Catherine herself who looked kinda dumb), but every new character design for the Persona series since then has been pretty crummy.

@9thwonder: Eh, I can't really complain about Atlus giving more attention to the more popular franchise. Besides, be careful what you wish for - imagine if Atlus decided to show us some love with SMT: Purgatory Dance-Off or something.

Honestly it just feels like they need to pace themselves better? Like, this P4 blitz would have gone down a lot smoother if it had been spread out over a couple of years instead of them saying "Hey let's release four Persona 4 games in one year, plus a bunch of P3 movies and let's remake the P4 cartoon that just ended two years ago!"
(I remember thinking it was ridiculous how they released P2EP/P4G/P4A all in a cluster a few years back. I sure feel naive now!)

Levito

Banned

"Shin Megami Tensei" is on the cover of my copy of Souls Hackers, weird.

SMT IV took forever to come out, but there's been an enormous amount of spin offs since Nocturne.

SMT 1 is a very archaic game even when compared to something like Soul Hackers. Which in turn means it wasn't going to sell very well at all, concessions had to be made for it to be localized. That's why it never came over on Android. (Rasen made a great video all about this)

Persona is more popular, yes, but that doesn't mean SMT is forgotten. More than all that though, it's not a pissing contest. I don't know why these two fanbase's are so keen to go at war all the time. Though I guess that's just human nature.

I have a drawing of Maya that I drew 2 weeks ago. Can I just add the tag to that drawing or does it have to be a new post?

Tumblr's tagging system is pretty crummy, but since the SMT Spirit Week tag is pretty empty right now it should be fine. Just make sure that SMT Spirit Week is one of the first five tags on the post.

"Shin Megami Tensei" is on the cover of my copy of Souls Hackers, weird.)

Every Megaten game is the same way in the west, Persona (until Persona 4 Arena) have SMT slapped on the box, same goes for Devil Survivor. None of those are SMT games, they are "megaten" games but not SMT. I think Atlus does it because Nocturne was a cult hit so they try and tie in everything with that, in hopes of creating a brand.

SMT 1 is a very archaic game even when compared to something like Soul Hackers. Which in turn means it wasn't going to sell very well at all, concessions had to be made for it to be localized. That's why it never came over on Android.
Oh, I guess that makes sense. Didn't know it would take a lot resources/money for them to slap the translation they did for iOS on android. Good to know I guess

Persona is more popular, yes, but that doesn't mean SMT is forgotten. More than all that though, it's not a pissing contest. I don't know why these two fanbase's are so keen to go at war all the time. Though I guess that's just human nature.
I hope it doesn't look like I'm blaming Persona for SMT's absence because I'm not(my bad if it seemed that way though). Even before Persona took off or whatever, SMT 3 took like 11 years. They do "spinoffs" like Persona and Devil Survivor but they are all fairly unique, none of them fill the void for a actual mainline SMT title.

Levito

Banned
Soul Hackers: Dancing All Night

"Not your mother's typical SMT grinding"

Get it?(lewd)

EDIT: S'cool 9thwonder, all the rage today got to me a bit I think.

Snakeyes

Honestly it just feels like they need to pace themselves better? Like, this P4 blitz would have gone down a lot smoother if it had been spread out over a couple of years instead of them saying "Hey let's release four Persona 4 games in one year, plus a bunch of P3 movies and let's remake the P4 cartoon that just ended two years ago!"
They probably felt the need to go all out on the milking before moving on to the supposedly different (according to Hashino, anyway) Persona 5. Kinda makes me wonder how many spin-offs and re-releases we'll see with this next generation of the series, considering how popular the brand has become over the years.

Vylash

I'd imagine how many spin-offs and such we get for 5 will depend on how well the public takes to the characters, 4 has such likable and popular characters that they can make bank on everything they do with them, but if that's not repeated with 5 then it might just be the game and maybe a Vita port.

Squire

Banned
I understand the butthurt, but not the thick-headedness wrt to SMTIV EU. Nintendo picked it up, so it's on them. Atlus has no EU branch, so it's no skin off their nose whether it releases there are not. Nintendo should've left it alone. If they hadn't have stepped in, NISA probably would've picked it up and put it out there months ago. *shrug*

Levito

Banned
At this point, with the amount of spin offs/media P3/4 have received--it's going to be weird even just seeing Persona 5 for the first time.

Not sure why people are so upset about the Persona spinoffs. Spinoffs are only a bad thing when it gets in the way of a mainline title. P4A is outsourced, P4D is outsourced, PQ is being done by CD-1 and P-Studios have nothing to do with the anime/movies. The anime/movies do not take any resources away from them. That Persona 4 Golden anime not existing would not help P5 get here any faster. No reason to be mad unless you're mad at the fact that it exists(which would be really silly imo).

I understand the butthurt, but not the thick-headedness wrt to SMTIV EU. Nintendo picked it up, so it's on them. Atlus has no EU branch, so it's no skin off their nose whether it releases there are not. Nintendo should've left it alone. If they hadn't have stepped in, NISA probably would've picked it up and put it out there months ago. *shrug*

Region locking is dumbest thing ever imo, I feel sorry for the Euro bros.

Squire

Banned
Not sure why people are so upset about the Persona spinoffs. Spinoffs are only a bad thing when it gets in the way of a mainline title. P4A is outsourced, P4D is outsourced, PQ is being done by CD-1 and P-Studios have nothing to do with the anime/movies. The anime/movies do not take any resources away from them. That Persona 4 Golden anime not existing would not help P5 get here any faster. No reason to be mad unless you're mad at the fact that it exists(which would be really silly imo).

Region locking is dumbest thing ever imo, I feel sorry for the Euro bros.

I was *just* thinking that exactly. P4GA could happen or not - we'd still be where we are now. I'll take the option where we get a good anime to watch over the summer/fall.

To your second point: In this specific scenario, that's still on Nintendo since they region-locked the 3DS. None of this anger should be directed at Atlus.

They probably felt the need to go all out on the milking before moving on to the supposedly different (according to Hashino, anyway) Persona 5. Kinda makes me wonder how many spin-offs and re-releases we'll see with this next generation of the series, considering how popular the brand has become over the years.

I don't see why. P4 isn't preventing them from doing things related to Persona 3.

Rise just felt like a total pander bait character. She's cute, nice, and has a huge crush on you. And then her S. Link sucks balls and just consists of her complaining for like 9 ranks and dumb coincidences
like her ex-manager showing up at that exact moment we're at the steak stand. Followed by her making the incredibly brave decision to live a life of fame and fortune rather than a boring small town like Inaba.
Such courage, so depth. But then I remember that none of the characters in P4 actually make bold life changing decisions in their S. Links because they have to keep the Status Quo for all the characters so they can show hilarious comedy hijinks like a crossdressing pageant and wacky hot springs shenanigans. /rant

I'm annoyed for other reasons right now and need to vent.

I was *just* thinking that exactly. P4GA could happen or not - we'd still be where we are now. I'll take the option where we get a good anime to watch over the summer/fall.

yeah, I mean there are very few cases where nothing is better than something. I'd take P4GA over nothing at all.

and for the Nintendo yeah, my bad if it looked like I was mad at Atlus, my beef is with Nintendo. Even Mr. "America is the only country that matters" isn't region locked anymore. I think people need to realize that Atlus doesn't have a Euro branch and releasing full priced DD games on something that's not PC isn't very lucrative. You are better off selling the publishing rights to someone else. It still sucks though, I don't even live in Euro but I feel their pain.

Vylash

My entire morning was just filled with people who were mad that the anime has the nerve to exist

Squire

Banned
yeah, I mean there are very few cases where nothing is better than something. I'd take P4GA over nothing at all.

and for the Nintendo yeah, my bad if it looked like I was mad at Atlus, my beef is with Nintendo. Even Mr. "America is the only country that matters" isn't region locked anymore. I think people need to realize that Atlus doesn't have a Euro branch and releasing full priced DD games on something that's not PC isn't very lucrative. You are better off selling the publishing rights to someone else. It still sucks though, I don't even live in Euro but I feel their pain.

Nah, I got what you meant. You're approaching it sensibly, but all too often people can't see past their pain to be reasonable and do the same. Unfortunate for everyone.

Did they actually say what P4GA is gonna be? Like I know it's a cartoon for Golden, but is it literally gonna be a 26 episode thing that covers all of P4's story again, except now featuring Marie-chan?

Did they actually say what P4GA is gonna be? Like I know it's a cartoon for Golden, but is it literally gonna be a 26 episode thing that covers all of P4's story again, except now featuring Marie-chan?

Safe to assume. Looking at the website they have the main casts' silhouettes, but are missing Rise and Naoto. They obviously are going to be in the show but will be added on as it progresses....meaning they're going to go through every single arc in the story.

Kazzy

Haha, I was just going to post that

If you talk to Dojima on certain days, you can go to Junes as a family. You basically get to overhear your friends talking to each other.

Supposedly, they're a couple of them scattered throughout the game, but i've only seen 1.

They're really awesome.

Hm, I have a lot of these scattered around on my Vita memory card. I'll try and find them and put them up here.

I remember the one you can get just before Valentines Day. You can overhear all the girls deliberating over who (and what) gifts that they're going to buy, before deciding to eat a heap of chocolate between themselves.

Kazzy

When you consider the way that Marie's inclusion impacts the story (whether people like to accept it or not), requires more than simply inserting scenes to accompany what already exists. Beyond the obvious quibbles people have with the character, I think the chief reason that some resent her, is that her position within the narrative has far too much importance upon it to be conveyed the way it is within P4G.

Trying to view it as objectively as one can reasonably hope to, it's difficult to refute the fact that her place does feel artificial and contrived. In trying to accommodate the existing fans (who, ironically, resented her from the very beginning), they use a conceit to justify the fact how she can flutter in and out of the story so easily, which only serves to undercut her as a character.

If I hold any sort of hopes for this production, it's for her arc to be woven in organically, at least to a degree were her detractors will begin to thaw - if only a little! Marie is a character that often elicits pretty strong opinions, both good and bad. So, as someone who finds themselves rooted firmly in-between that, it has the tendency to make discussion a little bemusing!

EDIT: Damn it, double post. I assumed someone would have posted before this was out. I guessed wrong!

PK Gaming

Rise just felt like a total pander bait character. She's cute, nice, and has a huge crush on you. And then her S. Link sucks balls and just consists of her complaining for like 9 ranks and dumb coincidences
like her ex-manager showing up at that exact moment we're at the steak stand. Followed by her making the incredibly brave decision to live a life of fame and fortune rather than a boring small town like Inaba.
Such courage, so depth. But then I remember that none of the characters in P4 actually make bold life changing decisions in their S. Links because they have to keep the Status Quo for all the characters so they can show hilarious comedy hijinks like a crossdressing pageant and wacky hot springs shenanigans. /rant

I'm annoyed for other reasons right now and need to vent.

Of all the criticisms I've seen lobbed at Rise, "pander-bait" is by far the most asinine one I've come across. I get that Rise is overtly flirty Yu, and it's an aspect of her character, but she has tons of worth as a character on her own as well. I'm seriously straining to find a where to start with this post, but here goes.

Rise is a cute, interesting, genuine, complex character with one of the most satisfying social links in the entire game. She comes across as flirty and silly, but simultaneously mature and genuine. She's really just a sweetheart at the core of her character, and it's reflected in the way she treats her friends (especially Kanji). Her social link embodies to Persona concept (carrying several masks) and her identity crisis is poignant and even relatable in some ways. There is literally so much you can do with a character like her, and to boil her down to just being a pander-bait character is just straight up disrespectful to the developpers.

Followed by her making the incredibly brave decision to live a life of fame and fortune rather than a boring small town like Inaba. Such courage, so depth.

You are missing something extremely important here. The intense difficulties of being an idol in Japan. Her social link makes that abundantly clear throughout many of the scenes, and yet you somehow missed that completely. The decision to keep being an idol took in inordinate amount of courage. It wasn't just something she could decide on a whim, it was the very definition of a life changing decision (which nicely ties back to her arcana; The Lovers) It seriously astounds me that you completely glossed over such an important aspect of her social link.

She isn't just the cutesy-girl who's doki-doki for Yu. If you genuinely think that, then you straight up missed out on the entire point of her character.

Squire

Banned
When you consider the way that Marie's inclusion impacts the story (whether people like to accept it or not), requires more than simply inserting scenes to accompany what already exists. Beyond the obvious quibbles people have with the character, I think the chief reason that some resent her, is that her position within the narrative has far too much importance upon it to be conveyed the way it is within P4G.

Trying to view it as objectively as one can reasonably hope to, it's difficult to refute the fact that her place does feel artificial and contrived. In trying to accommodate the existing fans (who, ironically, resented her from the very beginning), they use a conceit to justify the fact how she can flutter in and out of the story so easily, which only serves to undercut her as a character.

If I hold any sort of hopes for this production, it's for her arc to be woven in organically, at least to a degree were her detractors will begin to thaw - if only a little! Marie is a character that often elicits pretty strong opinions, both good and bad. So, as someone who finds themselves rooted firmly in-between that, it has the tendency to make discussion a little bemusing!

EDIT: Damn it, double post. I assumed someone would have posted before this was out. I guessed wrong!

Well said. The best thing they could do with this is make Marie a legitimately good character that doesn't feel forced.

Soriku

What? Kashiwagi definitely is. Yu may not want to jump her bones, but she does want to jump his. Same with Hanako.

I'm considering it from both perspectives. And Yu doesn't want to bone them. I don't think he wants the old lady either :p

CorvoSol

I'm considering it from both perspectives. And Yu doesn't want to bone them. I don't think he wants the old lady either :p

Ah, see, that wasn't the way I was looking at it. As long as the ladies want Yu, that's all that matters. And while Mrs. "I am not the Grim Reaper kid sorry for getting your fucking hopes up" may not want to bone him now, she talks about how much he looks like her husband, which, judgin' from all the talk about kids she does, I'd say she boned in her day.

Once time travel happens you'll discover that Yu is in fact the father of her children.

This is fucking Yu Narukami. He can play like, four instruments, reads books in the space of two days, solves every last person in the city's personal problems, is a master fisherman, slew like, three Gods, is an ace snowboarder, tip top swimmer, soccer and b-ball ace, can build models like a friggin pro, shits paper cranes, world class chef, solves murder mysteries and romances all women who come into his path, canon, noncanon, robot, human, demigoddess, possibly-an-angel, manifestations of the psyche or whatever else the fuck you can think of.

Makoto wielded the power of the Wild Card. Yu made it his bitch.

Ah, see, that wasn't the way I was looking at it. As long as the ladies want Yu, that's all that matters. And while Mrs. "I am not the Grim Reaper kid sorry for getting your fucking hopes up" may not want to bone him now, she talks about how much he looks like her husband, which, judgin' from all the talk about kids she does, I'd say she boned in her day.

Once time travel happens you'll discover that Yu is in fact the father of her children.

This is fucking Yu Narukami. He can play like, four instruments, reads books in the space of two days, solves every last person in the city's personal problems, is a master fisherman, slew like, three Gods, is an ace snowboarder, tip top swimmer, soccer and b-ball ace, can build models like a friggin pro, shits paper cranes, world class chef, solves murder mysteries and romances all women who come into his path, canon, noncanon, robot, human, demigoddess, possibly-an-angel, manifestations of the psyche or whatever else the fuck you can think of.

Makoto wielded the power of the Wild Card. Yu made it his bitch.

So Yu Narukami in how you describe him is basically....
David_Tennant_hints_at_Doctor_Who_50th_anniversary_return.jpg

Alfredo

I guess it's time I shared some of my fan projects, just 'cause!

I bought a sewing machine and remade my Narukami Alpaca outfit.

KKrO3LTl.jpg

Here's what he used to look like:

pogJjhgl.jpg

I gave him pants!

Also, I should get back to working on Persona 4 Monopoly... I saw someone post the project in a previous thread. I was gonna wait til I was done with the project to officially post it here, but it's been on hiatus for a while, lol.

Dantis

I guess it's time I shared some of my fan projects, just 'cause!

I bought a sewing machine and remade my Narukami Alpaca outfit.

KKrO3LTl.jpg

Here's what he used to look like:

pogJjhgl.jpg

I gave him pants!

Also, I should get back to working on Persona 4 Monopoly... I saw someone post the project in a previous thread. I was gonna wait til I was done with the project to officially post it here, but it's been on hiatus for a while, lol.

LOL.

This is amazing! Also, you did the P4 Monopoly? I love that! Me and my friends have been talking about printing it out when you're done, haha!

It's funny because it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom