• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meia

I've literally only just realised that there's no canonical route in Arena because whoever they choose to win the tournament is going to A) Not make sense unless it's Akihiko and B) Upset a lot of fans.

The latter one particularly.

The whole idea was a damn mess. "Let's have Fuuka be in some, and not others!" "Let's have someone say something important to the overall story here, and not others!"

I mean, yeah, it encourages players to see all the routes, but at the end of the day, you can't say what really happened, which is a massive problem when you do a SEQUEL. :p

It's why I want the arena manga to finish, and for us to get an anime for it. That the manga is actually damn good is a nice bonus. :)

FluxWaveZ

I mean, yeah, it encourages players to see all the routes, but at the end of the day, you can't say what really happened, which is a massive problem when you do a SEQUEL. :p

It's why I want the arena manga to finish, and for us to get an anime for it. That the manga is actually damn good is a nice bonus. :)

Or that's why the P-GP chapter exists in Ultimax. Complaining about the contradictions in P4A feels a bit old because of that.

Meia

Or that's why the P-GP chapter exists in Ultimax. Complaining about the contradictions in P4A feels a bit old because of that.

Old or not, the game still exists, and the problems therefore always will. :p

To recap the story for someone "new" to it, you can give broadstrokes, but nothing specific. This is fine to a point, except modern Persona have always been character-centric games. This is made worse if you do these broadstrokes and haven't seen everything, so you happened to miss the one or two character stories Fuuka is apart of, for example.

Mdesilva

Also, P4G challenge run update!
Thanks to Mdesilva for suggesting "slime and only slime" for the first dungeon. The physical resistance and red wall really helped in the sub boss and boss fights.
I picked him because although he's pretty good after he gets resist physical, he's a little hard to win with before then. Glad it worked out.

FluxWaveZ

To recap the story for someone "new" to it, you can give broadstrokes, but nothing specific. This is fine to a point, except modern Persona have always been character-centric games. This is made worse if you do these broadstrokes and haven't seen everything, so you happened to miss the one or two character stories Fuuka is apart of, for example.

The purpose of P-GP isn't really just for those who are new to the sequel since it's apparently a required chapter to unlock the rest of story mode. Because of that, it's obviously meant to establish how the events really occurred in the previous game in order to be able to properly convey how they affect Ultimax' story.

PK Gaming

I've literally only just realised that there's no canonical route in Arena because whoever they choose to win the tournament is going to A) Not make sense unless it's Akihiko and B) Upset a lot of fans.

The latter one particularly.

You mean Yu or Aigis right? The game spends an inordinate amount of time establishing that Wild Card users are hot shit, and far beyond regular Persona users.

Avatar bet. If Ken isn't announced within the next week, I will don an avatar of your choice for the period of a month while you will have to do the same for an avatar of my choice if he is.

So Flux....

I present to you your new avatar

F5tD3jp.png

Right, but I don't see how any of that makes her a "shameless" character. She spends most of the game as a former idol, clearly conflicted over which path to take in life.

You're talking about a character that gave out her measurements openly because they were known to the public, for comedic effect. She's a celebrity caricature. The opening animation to the game is of her in a bikini. I do understand that this was alluding to the midnight channel and theme of the story. However, it's a much different atmosphere than P3's opening of Yukari having trouble with the evoker.

Well I can't argue with your opinion, but I think it's funny that you bring up Yukiko when she spends most of her social link being a textbook nadeshiko (Hell, she professes her love before the romance flag) which is a lot more shameless than a "former" idol. I mean P4 does a good of subverting it with Yukiko, but they literally re-invoke it in her social link. Her romance scenes were positively dripping it.

I was just talking about how her "unconquerable snow black" reputation in school wasn't used very much. The Amagi Challenge isn't referenced much at all after the first part of the game, compared to Rise, where you hear all the time about her former idol status. I would argue that Rise usurps Yukiko as the "desirable girl" of the group.

Regarding Yukiko's entire character, including her link, I won't deny it. There are wish fulfillment aspects in that as well. All characters have them actually, romantic or platonic. But it's a matter of to what degree.

I do remember what you're referring to in Yukiko's social link.
You're in the supermarket and she wants to cook miso soup because she sucks at cooking. She wants to be perfect woman for you but she can't cook for shit. It's cliche but that isn't idealized at all.

Also I'm going to take this opportunity to show you something:

Rise - You're talking about a character that gave out her measurements openly because they were known to the public, for comedic effect.

Yukiko - She wants to be perfect woman for you but she can't cook for shit.

Do you not see a difference here?

I brought up that NPC to outline the reality of their relationship. It's an indisputable fact that they spend a significant amount of time together, and there's very little evidence to support that share an unhealthy relationship. And don't be ridiculous; there's a very clear difference between an affectionate nickname, and offensive putdowns.

Unhealthy relationship is one thing. Most genuine friendship in the entire game as you call it, is another. Given Chie & Yukiko, and Yosuke & P4MC, that's a lot to live up to.

I don't recall all the times Moronji was used offhand.
The only time I remember, was near the end of the game when P4MC was going to leave Inaba. Kanji says something very minor and Rise lashes out at him calling him Moronji, obviously upset at P4MC moving away.
We can go on about offscreen interpretations and what not, but that isn't an affectionate name. I think me comparing it to Junpei and Yukari in the last post was right on the dot. There are parallels with that and "Stupei."

I just don't understand how all of this is being framed as "caring and understanding."
Even in your last post you say Rise comes over to Kanji's house, to his annoyance. How is that understanding? Maybe this is all just her catty personality, which falls in line with making fun of Chie and Yukiko's cooking, or dissing the guys at New Years Eve, etc

Yukiko realizes that her desire to leave Inaba is just a form of escapism, Kanji just wants to be accepted at , Naoto... eh i'll skip her, and Rise realizes that there are many aspects to herself and decides to embrace all of them. Retread was a strong word, but there's some definite overlap between the social links and the shadow confrontation. And I agree that the social links are fairly topical, and I'm of the opinion that it applies to Rise as well.

Nope, Rise's development is the only one that goes in a circle. NPC social links included.
You really want me to look this up?

Post Shadow Rise confrontation
Rise: I'm sorry...It's all my fault.
Protag: It's not your fault
Rise: No, it's still something that "I" did.
Rise: I'm sorry....You've must've been in a lot of pain up until now.
Rise: You're part of me, but I kept refusing to admit that you existed...
Rise: I was trying to find out who the real me was.
Rise: But I realize now that I was on the wrong track.
Rise: There is no "real" me. It just doesn't exist.
Paper Teddie: There is...no real...me?
Rise: You, me, even Risette...They were all born from me.
Rise: All of them are...me.
The strength required to face one's self has been made manifest blah blah

Lovers Rank 3
Rise: They just never learn!
Rise: *sigh* But I told them!
Rise: I told them today, Senpai!
Rise: "No, I'm not." "You're mistaken." "I'm not Risette!"
Rise: And it's true... I'm no longer "Risette"...
Rise: I'm just an ordinary girl...
Rise: *giggle* Which is fine with me!

Lovers Rank 9
Rise: Senpai... I thought about it.
Rise: Why my mind just went blank when I heard about Kanami...
Rise: I mean, I ran away from showbiz because I was tired of being an idol...
Rise: So I shouldn't have any problems...
Rise: And yet... I felt so angry about it... Why do you think that is...?
Protag: "'Risette' is Rise, too."
Rise: Yeah... You know all along, huh...?
Rise: Haha, but really... that's how it was.
Rise: Risette's name in lights... Idolized by the masses...
Rise: That was "me," too...
Rise: I didn't want to lose that "me"...
God dammit Rise, of course I knew. I can't believe you wasted 8 days of my time in Inaba for this shit.

CorvoSol

I grabbed the "one hell of a" part.

I meant it more comically than that, but I grant that I can see how it would mislead.

tumblr_n4yovmuaOC1s6d3ato1_500.png

saw this and instantly thought of all yall :p

Well, I mean, demon negotiation is criminally awful, so I suppose it makes sense that anything related to it might be considered criminal as well. If it ever popped back into Persona I would think long and hard about not playing that game.

I meant it more comically than that, but I grant that I can see how it would mislead.

Well, I mean, demon negotiation is criminally awful, so I suppose it makes sense that anything related to it might be considered criminal as well. If it ever popped back into Persona I would think long and hard about not playing that game.

nou

Demon Negotiation in the early persona games was pretty bad, it's fine in SMT because you actually get the demon after you're done. Grinding for cards though? Fuck that shit.

Sophia

I wouldn't mind negotiations coming back only on the condition that you directly get the Persona from it.

At the very least, if we must have tarot cards, make it the Persona 1 method where you only need a single spell card. >.<

I wouldn't mind negotiations coming back only on the condition that you directly get the Persona from it.

At the very least, if we must have tarot cards, make it the Persona 1 method where you only need a single spell card. >.<

Have it be entirely optional. Like in P5 you can still get Personas in shuffle time, but maybe negotiating with demons gets you a different pool of Personas or something.

Squire

Banned
Have it be entirely optional. Like in P5 you can still get Personas in shuffle time, but maybe negotiating with demons gets you a different pool of Personas or something.

That's too wishy-washy. I'd take one or the other, but only one. Pick a mechanic and make a commitment.

How possible would it would to complete all the S. Links in a second cycle playthrough? All I need is one more level of Understanding and Diligence and I'll have max stats.

LX_Theo

Banned
How possible would it would to complete all the S. Links in a second cycle playthrough? All I need is one more level of Understanding and Diligence and I'll have max stats.

Very possible. Much harder if you plan out the schedule on your own. They have guides out there on what to do on what days. Some of which can even be done in the first playthrough.

That's too wishy-washy. I'd take one or the other, but only one. Pick a mechanic and make a commitment.

then make it like one of the better demon negotiations of the series, Devil Summoner Raidou 2, anyone who played that knows that game's negotiation is easy and pretty fun, especially how the demons you have with you boost your chances depending on the demon you are negotiating with.

I wouldn't want Demon negotiation in persona just because I feel like not having it makes Persona even more unique among the countless megaten spinoffs.

then make it like one of the better demon negotiations of the series, Devil Summoner Raidou 2, anyone who played that knows that game's negotiation is easy and pretty fun, especially how the demons you have with you boost your chances depending on the demon you are negotiating with.
But Persona doesn't have Demons and Shadows are
1. A way of differentiating Persona from the rest of megaten
2. A series staple at this point

So demons would never ever come back. It wouldn't really improve persona from a gameplay perspective either, it would just be pointlessly making it like the rest of megaten. And it's funny you bring up Raidou 2 since I hated demon negotiation(and dealing with demons period) in that game.

The worst part about demon negotiation (at least in SMT1) is that you can't get ANYTHING from demons you currently possess

like, they offer money and mag and shit and you can't barter for any of that with, say, Jack Frost if you're carrying a Jack Frost with you

I hope they fixed that in later games

arue

YGCJhVK.jpg

Arrange tracks:

1. Maze of Life
2. Light the Fire Up in the Night
3. Laser Beam
4. Otomodachi

sadly, I can't make out what mix types they are :(

Is #1 the opening song? If it is, I'll be disappointed because it's not called Carousel anymore :(

#2 is most likely P3 battle theme. I don't know about the rest.

arue

Maze of Life is the OP. I believe the title even is mention word for word in there.

Oh I'm on mobile, so I can't see it really well. Time to change the title of the song in my iphone then :p

tumblr_n4yovmuaOC1s6d3ato1_500.png

saw this and instantly thought of all yall :p

HAHAHA. But seriously though, I don't want it to come back in Persona.

It's unlikely at this point anyway, because of the palettle swap shadows being the regular enemies in the past 2 games.

What I want is for demons to be the regular enemies again but no demon negotiation.

Oh I'm on mobile, so I can't see it really well. Time to change the title of the song in my iphone then :p

HAHAHA. But seriously though, I don't want it to come back in Persona.

It's unlikely at this point anyway, because of the palettle swap shadows being the regular enemies in the past 2 games.

What I want is for demons to be the regular enemies again but no demon negotiation.
just get Kaneko or anybody else who knows how to draw monsters to do unique shadow designs.

Setsu00

No, I meant that "maze of life" is actually a part of the lyrics of the carousel song, which makes me believe that it's the OP.

arue

just get Kaneko or anybody else who knows how to draw monsters to do unique shadow designs.

I doubt they will do that and doesn't that take a lot of time? They could just slap the model they already have for the Personas and just call them demons when you're in battle against them. It's like DeSu but you get to call them Persona when you own them.

No, I meant that "maze of life" is actually a part of the lyrics of the carousel song, which makes me believe that it's the OP.

I searched "maze of life persona" on Youtube and a video of Carousel titled "Maze of Life" popped up, so you're probably on the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom