• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

The TVs are tied to locations in the TV World, so the big TV in Junes just so happened to be in the safe zone. Well, that's the reasoning they gave anyway and Teddie seems to believe it.

Sophia

468px-2013-01-13-105534.jpg

I like picking the last option there, personally...

Acid08

Banned
Tangent, but why did they need to go to Junes to go through a big TV when the Amagi Inn probably had plenty of big TV's to choose from? With more privacy even!

Unless it was like... a seriously traditional inn. But hey, didn't Mayumi Yamano's room have a big TV in it?
I thought their reasoning was that going in the Junes TV put them in a spot they were familiar with. Each TV puts you in a different place inside the TV world.

Lunar15

The TVs are tied to locations in the TV World, so the big TV in Junes just so happened to be in the safe zone. Well, that's the reasoning they gave anyway and Teddie seems to believe it.

I do not/only vaguely remember this but I will take your word for it.

LX_Theo

Banned
That's not a source, that's you referring to a source. Do you think "I heard from [academic authority/researcher] that [claim]" would fly in academic writing as a "source"?

Speaking of in one ear and out the other, do you not recall that I was talking about how the cost compared to other fields in development?
Oh my goodness this is ridiculous. This is EXACTLY what I was talking about whenI said in one ear and out the other.

I'm not writing an academic paper here. This is the fucking internet. This is PersonaGAF. Do you think I'm trying to lie or something? Why would I lie? Everything... EVERYTHING I've seen and experienced suggests this and leads to this conclusion. Simple as that.

You seem to want some definitive proof on this despite there being no reason to want it for such a topic (since apparently only you seem to think this needs to be definitively proven). Voice acting costs a ton. Not a ton else was changed in Dragon Age or other Bioware games based on the gender change. Developers themselves voiced the issue over adding even races to DAI (which have a hell of a lot more other issues to address than just adding a gender) because of the expense of voice acting. Conclusion... Its a big part of that extra pie. There's no reason to doubt that as a general conclusion from the facts laid out in front of you or me. No reason.

I said agree to disagree because I wanted to end this before it got ridiculous. So I'm just going to walk away now, since this is becoming as stupid as I feared.

FluxWaveZ

Oh my goodness this is ridiculous. This is EXACTLY what I was talking about whenI said in one ear and out the other.

I'm not writing an academic paper here. This is the fucking internet. This is PersonaGAF. Do you think I'm trying to lie or something? Why would I lie? Everything... EVERYTHING I've seen and experienced suggests this and leads to this conclusion. Simple as that.

You seem to want some definitive proof on this despite there being no reason to want it for such a topic (since apparently only you seem to think this needs to be definitively proven). Voice acting costs a ton. Not a ton else was changed in Dragon Age or other Bioware games based on the gender change. Developers themselves voiced the issue over adding even races to DAI (which have a hell of a lot more other issues to address than just adding a gender) because of the expense of voice acting. Conclusion... Its a big part of that extra pie. There's no reason to doubt that as a general conclusion from the facts laid out in front of you or me. No reason.

I said agree to disagree because I wanted to end this before it got ridiculous. So I'm just going to walk away now, since this is becoming as stupid as I feared.

...Huh? I wanted a source because, like I mentioned before, I thought seeing someone on a development team speak to that point would be interesting.

And the reason we had gone on the VA point before was relating to the points of other development fields than just voice acting... which you still haven't addressed, as far as I can tell? What are you talking about?

And you keep repeating "out one ear" and stuff... but when have I claimed that voice acting did not cost a lot? For someone obsessed with that point, you seem to be avoiding answering a lot of my questions.

LX_Theo

Banned
...Huh? I wanted a source because, like I mentioned before, I thought seeing someone on a development team speak to that point would be interesting.

And the reason we had gone on the VA point before was relating to the points of other development fields than just voice acting... which you still haven't address, as far as I can tell? What are you talking about?

So you attacking my point over not linking the source was because you would find it interesting. Stands up to logical scrutiny, for sure.

I did address it. Why I said about in ear and out the other, basically.

FluxWaveZ

So you attacking my point over not linking the source was because you would find it interesting. Stands up to logical scrutiny, for sure.

I did address it. Why I said about in ear and out the other, basically.

When did I attack your point?

...And when did you address the point? As far as I can tell, you never stated how the budget of VA related to the budget of other fields of development other than saying that VA is pricey, which is obvious. If I missed it, point it out.

NichM

Banned
Tangent, but why did they need to go to Junes to go through a big TV when the Amagi Inn probably had plenty of big TV's to choose from? With more privacy even!

There's a line in the game somewhere about this. Basically, the Junes TV led to the safe "lobby" area, and they had no way of knowing where any other TV might dump them into, so they stuck with it.

LX_Theo

Banned
When did I attack your point?
Multiple times. Good example would be the scrutiny of it because not linking my source is not being academic and whatnot.

Edit: I addressed it both the developer's comments on the big concern of cost being VA, and my experience of them changing very little outside of VA between genders.

FluxWaveZ

Multiple times. Good example would be the scrutiny of it because not linking my source is not being academic and whatnot.

...Yeah, might be my time to bail out now, since that's what you consider to be attacking your statement. One: that is not attacking your point, that is attacking the fact that you haven't provided an actual source, which wouldn't be a problem if you didn't insist that you did. Two: I'm not going to take your word as an authoritative source, just like I wouldn't expect you to take my word that Activision bought out the Staple center for $775 million dollars based on something I heard from the video game website Giant Bomb as a "source".

There's a line in the game somewhere about this. Basically, the Junes TV led to the safe "lobby" area, and they had no way of knowing where any other TV might dump them into, so they stuck with it.

It would have been cool if that was like their inital area where they meet Teddie
and later return to because it leads to the penultimate dungeon
. and then all the dungeons are accessed via TVs in areas specific to those characters. So you enter Yukiko's Castle at the Amagi Inn, Bad Bathhouse via the textile shop, etc etc.

LX_Theo

Banned
...Yeah, might be my time to bail out now, since that's what you consider to be attacking your statement. One: that is not attacking your point, that is attacking the fact that you haven't provided an actual source, which wouldn't be a problem if you didn't insist that you did. Two: I'm not going to take your word as an authoritative source, just like I wouldn't expect you to take my word that Activision bought out the Staple center for $775 million dollars based on something I heard from the video game website Giant Bomb as a "source".
Attacking credibility of my point attacks the point itself. Don't really know how that if a difficult concept to grasp for you.

I'm not asking you to take it as some authoritarian source either. It's not the only thing that supports my point, nor is it a big enough deal for anyone to really care about having an authoritarian source for it. Not like you'd be making any decisions or basing any beliefs on it.

Squire

Banned

He has no reason to lie, as stated. Do what you will, but it is pretty lame you're only real counter to a lot of points is "Got a source?"

It's just GAF. Nobody has signed/sealed documents to prove this stuff. I mean if someone says something outlandish, sure, but no one has made any ridiculous claims today.

FluxWaveZ

He has no reason to lie, as stated. Do what you will, but it is pretty lame you're only real counter to a lot of points is "Got a source?"

I wasn't going to comment any further, but I'd like you to point to where I dismissed his statement because he did not have a source, since you're saying I used it as a "counter" to his points.

You keep claiming you never did it, but that and you claiming I never addressed that other part were almost the entirety of your responses to me on this.

Prove it. With facts, not interpretation.

LX_Theo

Banned
I wasn't going to comment any further, but I'd like you to point to where I dismissed his statement because he did not have a source, since you're saying I used it as a "counter" to his points.
You keep claiming you never did it, but that and you claiming I never addressed that other part were almost the entirety of your responses to me on this.

Squire

Banned

Prove it. With facts, not interpretation.

Why don't you prove otherwise?

Squire

Banned
It's not my claim, it's yours. I do not have to prove a claim I did not make. Trying to turn it otherwise pretty much shows that you don't actually have anything to present to support what you were saying about me.

You're no fun to debate. I can't back that up with classified FBI files either, but damn if it ain't the truth.

Kazzy

It's not my claim, it's yours. I do not have to prove a claim I did not make. Trying to turn it otherwise pretty much shows that you don't actually have anything to present to support what you were saying about me.

This is completely obfuscating the point, because it becomes less about the topic at hand, and more about odd, semantic superiority.

Nobody cares.

FluxWaveZ

This is completely obfuscating the point, because it becomes less about the topic at hand, and more about odd semantic superiority.

Ugh, what? Why am I supposed to be the one proving that someone making baseless claims about me is wrong? "You're wrong." "Prove it." "No, you prove it!"

This is idiotic.

Sophia

Just for the record.... when you go in and make a definitive statement regarding a game's development, you get asked for a source on it, and you proceed to instead state your gut feelings and make logical fallacies of the "Agree to disagree" and "Appeal to moderation" variety, you are generally going to piss people off. I speak from experience of having been on both sides of the this. It's not all that fun, and it turns what could be an otherwise good discussion sour.

At the same time, Flux. Stop being such a goddamn hardass on it. Especially when it's obvious you're making the situation worse. Nobody likes it when people do that either, and it makes it hard to side with you when you're technically right. When someone asks for the conversation to be dropped, don't sit there and continue to antagonize them. It's not what our subcommunity is about, nor in GAF as a community as a whole.

Now lets move on. And please be a bit more respectful when you debate these things, all of you. :\

Kazzy

Ugh, what? Why am I supposed to be the one proving that someone making baseless claims about me is wrong? "You're wrong." "Prove it." "No, you prove it!"

This is idiotic.

It's not what you're saying, but how you're saying it.

Taking time to consider how something is conveyed in written form is completely different, because it inherently robs the message of a lot of its context. Even if you are 'right' in this particular case, just take the higher ground and leave it alone, rather than persisting.

I'm not joining that discussion, because, frankly, it's already run its course - which is what I was pointing out.

It's a simple misunderstanding - relax!

LX_Theo

Banned
Just for the record.... when you go in and make a definitive statement regarding a game's development, you get asked for a source on it, and you proceed to instead state your gut feelings and make logical fallacies of the "Agree to disagree" and "Appeal to moderation" variety, you are generally going to piss people off. I speak from experience of having been on both sides of the this. It's not all that fun, and it turns what could be an otherwise good discussion sour.

At the same time, Flux. Stop being such a goddamn hardass on it. Especially when it's obvious you're making the situation worse. Nobody likes it when people do that either, and it makes it hard to side with you when you're technically right. When someone asks for the conversation to be dropped, don't sit there and continue to antagonize them. It's not what our subcommunity is about, nor in GAF as a community as a whole.

Now lets move on. And please be a bit more respectful when you debate these things, all of you. :
Fuck that. I said nothing about it being my gut feelings, so I have no idea where you're pulling that from. The whole agree to disagree stuff was because I saw the discussion going in this direction and I wanted to avoid it. He was insisting I had some obligation to prove it definitively and I disagreed. Don't straight make up things when your talking about being respectful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom