• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pan-hime

sh9Bj0t.png

DA MAN IS HERE!
e: shibeaten.
e2: Shadow Junpei, Teddie, Aigis, Kanji, and Naoto added in the character page.

Dantis

His new character portrait looks most in line with his original P3 one.

No it doesn't. Looks completely different in his face.

Soejima has made him look miles more goofy in Arena, for better or for worse.

mtqmLJd.png

soejima neck returns full blast.

I think he's maybe traced the old Junpei art for the body, and then just drawn on a new face.

EDIT: Oh dear. :(

Wv9F7VW.jpg

Maybe some people will like the new one more though? Who knows.

Setsu00

I guess you can't really blame Soejima. That poor guy must be overworked as hell.

Also, one of Junpei's voice clips confims that he's a Shadow Operative.

Dantis

I guess you can't really blame Soejima. That poor guy must be overworked as hell.

This is true. Ultimax is probably a lot lower in his priorities than Persona 5, also.

Sophia

His profile does too.

元特別課外活動部の一人。現在は「シャドウワーカー」非常勤隊員を務めつつ、休日は少年野球のコーチに励む。乗り過ごした電車で八十稲羽に到着し、事件に巻き込まれることに。

Loosely, it says something like: "One of the former members of the Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad. Now serves part time as a Shadow Operative, while trying to strive as a baseball coach on his days off. He accidentally arrives in Yasoinaba by train and gets involved/caught up with the incident. "

Jintor

i can totally blame soejima... it wouldn't have been that much effort to take the head and move it a little down the neck...

Can't they just hurry up and release the game please :(

His profile does too.

元特別課外活動部の一人。現在は「シャドウワーカー」非常勤隊員を務めつつ、休日は少年野球のコーチに励む。乗り過ごした電車で八十稲羽に到着し、事件に巻き込まれることに。

Loosely, it says something like: "One of the former members of the Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad. Serves part time as a Shadow Operative, while trying to strive as a baseball couch on his days off. He accidentally arrives in Yasoinaba by train and gets involved/caught up with the incident. "

tumblr_n593gfeW7l1t46pjso1_500.png

Sophia

Yes yes, I fixed it. This is what happens when I'm sleep deprived, it's 6:30 AM, and I somehow think it's a smart idea to translate Japanese with the help of Rikaichan.... @_@

The only thing off about Junpei's new portrait for me is the hair, the fact that his cap is backwards makes it seem like he's receding, and the sides look, I dunno, old.

Makes him look like he's aged more than the 3 years its supposed to be.

kewlmyc

No it doesn't. Looks completely different in his face.

Soejima has made him look miles more goofy in Arena, for better or for worse.

Overall only the face is different which is more than I can say about the rest of the P3 cast other than Aigis. Also face isn't all that bad. He looks older, which he's supposed to look.

Overall only the face is different which is more than I can say about the rest of the P3 cast other than Aigis. Also face isn't all that bad. He looks older, which he's supposed to look.

The only thing I dislike about his design is that he looks much older than 19, but not everyone gets to keep the gift of youth for long. Maybe he's just one of the unlucky ones.

Holy shit, what happened to junpei lol

We've come this far...
Ne8IU8a.png

It's the Detective Prince, Naoto Shirogane! With her trusty blue cap (and a wardrobe that seems to consist of entirely blue...) Naoto is ready to solve this course. Despite her short stature, she's quite the powerhouse behind the tee. She doesn't particularly excel in any aspect of the game, but she does it all relatively well. Just don't mention how cute she looks.

That about wraps it up with the last of the Investigation Team.

This are always so freacking amazing. I need more of this in my life.

kewlmyc

It's not too bad, but there's something weird about the angle of the mouth.

Ideally he'd look like this anyway

image.php

It'd would be funny if Junpei pulled an Akihiko and showed up super buff.

The only thing I dislike about his design is that he looks much older than 19, but not everyone gets to keep the gift of youth for long. Maybe he's just one of the unlucky ones.

Being a little league coach ain't no joke.

Also, Junpei in the anime cutscene looks like Vincent to me.

Setsu00

The only thing off about Junpei's new portrait for me is the hair, the fact that his cap is backwards makes it seem like he's receding, and the sides look, I dunno, old.

Makes him look like he's aged more than the 3 years its supposed to be.

Junpei looked like he was balding even during P3. At least his drama CD illustration (where he's shown with Chidori) makes it look like this due to the angle of his hat.

Soejima even mentioned in the artbooks that he tends to give male characters a receding hairline (Ryoji and Kanji say hi).

You might be right. I don't have the most extensive knowledge of coding, much less coding for games, so maybe there is something to the general work flow for the vita that allows developers to focus more on looks. I was just thinking from the perspective of the cost of making assets. The 3DS is a pretty powerful system, but it's just hampered by that 240p screen and the fact that 3D requires an image to render twice. The Vita's clearly much more of a powerhouse, but I still don't think that aside from visual clarity, there's anything to suggest that SMT4 could'nt look more like 3 if it had the budget backing it. Like you said, it definitely seemed rushed in spots, too.

Yeah man, I think it safe to say that it cost money, effort talent and a little bit of wizardry to actually get something out of 3DS. I mean, RE:R and SF 4 has yet to be surpassed and they came out at the beginning of the system's life. Even Nintendo's own offering don't touch those games. 3DS is certainly powerful enough to outdo Nocturne graphically and SMT IV does have some shader stuff that Nocturne and really, PS2 in general doesn't have(look at the rocks in Naraku). But for Vita, even the little guys are pushing out great looking games. Budget is definitely a factor though, if it takes money,e effort and talent to do something with 3DS, maybe Atlus didn't think it was worth it trying. It's also worth mentioning that If it were on Vita, it would be using the PS2 demon models. I don't think they could get away with 2D battles on that platform and there is nooooo wayyyyyyy it would be getting a significant amount of new demon models.

FFXV probably suffers because people still aren't sure what the fuck exactly it is. Uncharted or FF? Maybe both. Who knows anymore.

No reason why it can't be both, I'm playing through FF7 right now and it's cinematic as fuck. I'm talking set pieces and everything. Forced walking sections and a bunch of other shit. I wonder if it was SE that set the standard for modern AAA gaming LOL. Shit must have been mind blowing in 97.

Setsu00

No reason why it can't be both, I'm playing through FF7 right and it's cinematic as fuck. I'm talking set pieces and everything. Forced walking sections and a bunch f other shit. I wonder if was SE that set the standard for modern AAA gaming LOL. Shit must have been mind blowing in 97.

Wasn't there recently an online magazine article flying around that traced Uncharted back to Final Fantasy VII? It also mentioned how FFVII's own cinematic approach backfired in the form of Final Fantasy XIII.

Junpei looked like he was balding even during P3. At least his drama CD illustration (where he's shown with Chidori) makes it look like this due to the angle of his hat.

Soejima even mentioned in the artbooks that he tends to give male characters a receding hairline (Ryoji and Kanji say hi).

Yes, Junpei looks like those 19-20 year old guys with receding hair, is not that abnormal to see that in real life.

Wasn't there recently an online magazine article flying around that traced Uncharted back to Final Fantasy VII? It also mentioned how FFVII's own cinematic approach backfired in the form of Final Fantasy XIII.

I'm not sure but I think it's awesome that a Japanese RPG developer set the standard for the AAA games you see today. They spent 145 million on FF 7(45 million developing, 100 million on marketing). A quick google search says that would be around 212 million in today's money. That's close to GTA V's budget(a game that was guaranteed to do at least 30 million) iirc. I can't think of a game before FF7 that had that cinematic presentation, focus on FMVs and set pieces either. Shame they don't do groundbreaking shit like that anymore.

edit:That's probably why I like 15 so much, it reminds me of 7.

Would you guys be pissed if P5 had moving mouths?

Eh, it's not that big of a deal for me. Personally I just hope they keep using the Soejima portraits as opposed to the 3D models.

EDIT:

Though I suppose if it's as good as Catherine, I wouldn't mind the scenes being acted out by the 3D models. Still I hope the portraits get used in some way.

Eh, it's not that big of a deal for me. Personally I just hope they keep using the Soejima portraits as opposed to the 3D models.

EDIT:

Though I suppose if it's as good as Catherine, I wouldn't mind the scenes being acted out by the 3D models. Still I hope the portraits get used in some way.

No portraits. I want it to be as different to the previous Persona games as it can get.

And also make it edgy. and dark. and college.

"A mouths a mouth"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom